Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Abduction

With all the hype surrounding Taylor Lautner you’d be forgiven for thinking he’s a much bigger star than he actually is. The Twilight series has served the youngen well since he ripped off his shirt in New Moon and exposed his 6-pack of ‘talent’, but he is really yet to prove himself as any sort of legitimate actor. Or so I thought. Watching Abduction is a painful experience to say the least How so much talent (Lautner aside) got involved with this project is beyond me, and any hope the tween twi-hards had of seeing their beloved Jacob carve out a big screen career post-Twilight seems slim now more than ever thanks to this ludicrous baby Bourne Identity.

The story focuses on Nathan (Lautner), a high school student who on the outside appears to be normal, but harbors rage issues and has a recurring dream involving the murder of a woman he believes he knows. When he is assigned a school project revolving around missing children he and his partner Karen (Lily Collins) are shocked to find a photo of a young boy who resembles him, and when questioning his parents (Jason Isaac and Maria Bello) learns they aren’t who they say they are. Oh the excitement of it all! Soon there are secret agents knocking down the door, blowing up the house and Nathan and Karen are on the run, not knowing who they can trust or where to go.

Thankfully Nathan’s therapist (a surprisingly awful Sigourney Weaver) is on hand to help but CIA operative Frank Burton (Alfred Molina) straddles the thin line of friend and foe. The big bad of it all is a fellow named Kozlow (Michael Nyqvist), a European type who has a connection to Nathan’s past, specifically his real parents. As entertaining as it all sounds, and certain plot points are interesting in theory though they ultimately fail to blend together cohesively, it’s all so poorly performed and written that it’s impossible to get invested on any level, save for giggling at all the unintentional hilarity peppered throughout; ‘I will kill all your friends on Facebook’ is threatened at one point.

A film like this is made with one audience in mind and before their common sense kicks in, the youngsters might enjoy it on a visual level, though there aren’t many exciting sequences to write home about, and those hoping for the obligatory shirtless shot from the leading man will be sorely disappointed, but I can’t dissuade viewers enough from this. Inexplicable in every sense, was this really directed by the same John Singleton who gave us Boyz N The Hood and Higher Learning all those years ago? Abduction may have just abducted the crown for worst film of the year.

Check out more of my reviews here - ratedpdg.tumblr.com
Follow me on Twitter @ratedpdg

Last edited by FilmBuff84; 10-03-2011 at 01:12 AM..