Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
The UnOfficial JoBlo Alcohol Thread

I know there's a whiskey thread, but this thread is for ALL things alcohol (even though I drink whiskey almost exclusively). Use this thread to talk about all things alcohol! I welcome, nay, ENCOURAGE drunk posting in this thread.

Right now I'm drinking some McAdam's whiskey. It's shit to be honest, but it's cheap and I go for quantity not quality because I'm poor. I've got about a 12 oz. glass filled nearly half/half whiskey and sprite... my usual mixed drink. What are some of your guys' favorite booze?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I love alcohol. I'm Irish and a lot of the members of my family are severe alcoholics. So at 24, I'm trying to learn how to drink responsibly and not let it run my life. There have been some times where I got way too wasted and blacked out and started riverdancing, just basically making a fool of myself. So I'm trying to learn how to drink with self control and know when to say "I've had enough." There have been times where I did something like make out with the fat chick at the bar and wanted to promise myself I'd never drink again; but I know how unrealistic of a goal that is. If I swore to quit drinking every time I got too drunk I'd just catch myself in a vicious cycle and never learn how to drink responsibly.

Anyway enough of that depressing shit, some of my favorite beers are Killians, Harp, Yuengling, and Dogfishhead(which is a beer from Delaware and they have several flavors which are all absolutely delicious). As far as liquor goes I prefer rum and vodka. I try to go the mixed drink route as shots can sneak up on you too quickly. My roommate makes fun of me because I make my mixed drinks half and half. I'm sorry but I like to taste the liquor in there.

Ever since working at a restaurant owned by Koreans I've been turned onto a Korean liquor called Soju. It's a liquor made from sweet potatoes, it's very similar to Vodka; a neutral liquor, not too sweet, not too bitter, doesn't really have much of a flavor at all. It's about 19-21% alcohol and the best part is that it's really cheap, I normally get 3 bottles of it for $6.99 each(I'll have to double check the volume of the bottle, but it's a great deal). Most Koreans mix it with beer and drink it, but I've tried it and think it's gross, can you imagine drinking vodka mixed with beer? Me and my friends normally just shoot it, but you have to be careful. One time I got a couple of bottles and me and three other friends were taking shots of Soju in between beers. All four of us blacked out. It was like The Hangover. We woke up and nobody knew what the fuck happened. There was a puke stain on the couch and nobody knew who did it. We were all pointing fingers and checking our clothes for vomit stains, nobody found any. At one point we broke into the roof of our building and were jumping around from roof to roof(this was in the middle of a pretty dangerous blizzard in our area). We also went downstairs to the bar and just hung out, none of us bought any drinks because we were all shit faced. Needless to say, it was a great time.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
It's been a while since I drank, getting harder and harder to find people to go drinking with the older I get. I'm usually a rum fellow myself. If I am buying the cheap stuff I usually go with rum and coke. I also love taking shots. I have a pretty strong tolerance, though it varies from strong to 'omfg I've taken five shots why am I not drunk yet.' I can't stand 95% of beers. They are all so watered down to the point that they taste like horse piss.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Oh boy....this could be a long post (that's what she said).

Beer: Guinness, Smithwick's, Harp, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (fucking YUM!), Coors Banquet (NOT Light), anything Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Allagash White, some Southern Tier varieties, Boddington's, MGD, Purple Haze. Many more to come. If anything Anheiser-Busch were to be presented to me, I would repeatedly punch that person in the taint. YUCK!

Liquor: Jameson Irish whiskey, Macallans scotch, Sailor Jerry rum, Captain Morgan Private Stock, Patron Silver, Cabo Wabo reposado, Belvedere Vodka, Absolut Vodka, Jack Daniels, Kahlua, Goldschlager, Bacardi,

Mixed Drinks: White Russian, Colorado Bulldog (white russian with Coke), vanilla vodka and Coke, Malibu coconut and root beer (trust me, it's awesome), grape soda (vodka, blackberry brandy, spiced rum, blue curacao, cranberry juice, and 7-up...yeah, delicious!), Bacardi and sprite, slightly dirty vodka martini (with bleu cheese olives), Vesper (Gordon's gin, Smirnoff vodka, blonde Kina Lillet, and a large lemon twist...James Bond's drink). Many more to come...afterall, my trade is bartending.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty particular about what i drink.

Liquor: Whiskey or Scotch, usually either Jack Daniels or Canadian Club

Beer: Either a honey beer or a pilsner, usually either Sleeman Honey Brown or Alexander Keiths/Labbatt Blue/Moslon Canadian.

Nothing special i know but i enjoy them, i look forward to drunk posting in this thread in the future.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
*walks in chiefin' a blunt*

Yo, can somebody pour me a Cap & Coke in the bitch?!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Whence I'm feeling thrifty I'll rock some Old Mill or Black Label. Having not grown out of my high school mentality, I subscribe to the "beer is beer" adage. However, on special occasions (read : gots money) I'll splurge on some MGD, Rickard's White, Alexander Keith's or Moosehead.

As for liquor, it begins and ends with Crown Royal.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
*walks in chiefin' a blunt*

*SLAP*

YOU GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE WITH THAT! THIS IS FOR ALCOHOL LOVE ONLY!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
My name is Vong, and I have a sex addiction...oh wait...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Captain Morgans
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Ezra Brooks and coke or ginger ale
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Now that I'm entering my mid-20s, I'd like expand my beer tastes. Right now I drink Bud Lite, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Miller High Life, & Natty Light. Shit beers...I know. I need to EXPAND.

Liquor: Whiskey. Bourbon. Cheap stuff. And Coke Zero or 7 up.

I'm quickly outgrowing my drinking phases though. I can stop at 6 beers now, have a little buzz, and have no drive to keep going. Last summer, I just wanted to be hammered every day. I think I'm happy about toning down

Last semester, there was a point where I drank half a 1000ml bottle of whiskey for like 8-10 straight nights. Now I have 2-3 mixed drinks of 3 shots in each and I'm solid for the night. Much more social about it now.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
For beer it's all about Blue Moon for me with an orange slice. Either that or whatever mini tour is going on at Old Chicago so I can get another drunken achievement
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
Oh boy....this could be a long post (that's what she said).

Beer: Guinness, Smithwick's, Harp, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (fucking YUM!), Coors Banquet (NOT Light), anything Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Allagash White, some Southern Tier varieties, Boddington's, MGD, Purple Haze. Many more to come. If anything Anheiser-Busch were to be presented to me, I would repeatedly punch that person in the taint. YUCK!

Liquor: Jameson Irish whiskey, Macallans scotch, Sailor Jerry rum, Captain Morgan Private Stock, Patron Silver, Cabo Wabo reposado, Belvedere Vodka, Absolut Vodka, Jack Daniels, Kahlua, Goldschlager, Bacardi,

Mixed Drinks: White Russian, Colorado Bulldog (white russian with Coke), vanilla vodka and Coke, Malibu coconut and root beer (trust me, it's awesome), grape soda (vodka, blackberry brandy, spiced rum, blue curacao, cranberry juice, and 7-up...yeah, delicious!), Bacardi and sprite, slightly dirty vodka martini (with bleu cheese olives), Vesper (Gordon's gin, Smirnoff vodka, blonde Kina Lillet, and a large lemon twist...James Bond's drink). Many more to come...afterall, my trade is bartending.

....this guy. *thumbs up*
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
interesting choices going on here.

i hardly drink since college, and even when i was in college all i really drank was Natty Boh because was easier to come by than water in Baltimore. When i order from a bar i usually do a Seven & Seven. I started that when i was 20 i think because it seems to be all De Niro orders in Scorsese pictures. if its good enough for the man it'll alright for me. i've grown to like it since.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
About to fire up Once Upon A Time in the West for my film class and just poured a nice and strong Heaven Hill & Coke. College can be good sometimes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm not a beer snob at all but when I do like to slurge on some good beer, I usually buy German beer.

When I was living with roommates in a house, I would always buy Miller High Life because all my roommates thought it was disgusting so I didnt have to worry about them mooching any of my beer.

Also, has any tried this malt drink called Four Loko? Its usually sold at liquor stores and some gas stations. Anyways, its awful but if you are looking to get blitzed out of your mind, then Four Loko does the trick. I got fucked up off of it last weekend and woke up in a public park, covered in blood, next to a dead deer carcass.
(Okay not really, but I didnt remember a thing from that night)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM
^^ ahh yes, the ol' buy a shitty beer so my roommates don't drink it routine. That's a favorite move of mine. I also frequently buy bottles and stash them downstairs here in my room so I don't have to worry about my alcoholic friends and roommates drinking my shit.

Tonight I'm indulging in McAdams whiskey and grocery store band lemon lime soda. I wish I had money so I could stop buying garbage whiskey.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed View Post
....this guy. *thumbs up*
Why thank you sir...

It's good to know that my tastes are rather ravashing!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 AM
My roommate tried telling me not to drink my whole bottle of McAdams tonight.. and to save some. Who the fuck is he?! I paid for it why does he think he can say a fucking word about what I do with it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I think I found the ultimate cure for a hangover.

Two chili dogs at 10 am and a relaxing day of YouTube browsing whilst emitting nuclear powered farts. Try it.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
My poison is melonball(vodka,melon liqeur and pineapple juice)and i've been drinking that for almost two years. By the way last year i graduated from bartender school and still looking for a bartender job.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Monster hangover yesterday. Thursday was b-day so of course I drank for free all night. Some of buddies felt the need to splurge, guess I'm an OK friend. Maker's Mark & Coke all night with Wild Turkey 151 shots between each. Hangover from hell is an understatement
Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
By the way last year i graduated from bartender school and still looking for a bartender job.
Did the same thing 2 years ago. Took me damn near 6 months to land a job.

Melonballs are very good, too. I dig Midori sours, or as I like to call them...Ecto Coolers. I just make mine with a shit ton of Midori.

I hate this fucking thread. Now I'm thirsty.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
I think I found the ultimate cure for a hangover.

Two chili dogs at 10 am and a relaxing day of YouTube browsing whilst emitting nuclear powered farts. Try it.
haha I read your post using the voice of one of the moonites. Great shit!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Ahh yes, picked up a 6 pack of Dos Equis and lime for the evening. Clearly not enough to get drunk, but enough to get the party started til I have to move to the Mich Golden Draft Light my parents left me for watching their house.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Funny story my old man told me the other day that I have to share in this thread. So in his highschool his teachers had their teachers lounge and everything and they had this huge ice box in there. Well alot of his friends made this habit of sneaking into this lounge between classes and hiding their liquor in the ice box. It would never be fucked with because every member of the faculty thought it belonged to some teacher. Good shit
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm not much of a beer drinker. I drank it in college because you pretty much have to, but I never liked it much. I'm a liquor man. My favorites are Captain Morgan, Jagermesiter, Southern Comfort and Johnny Walker. Rum being my absolute favorite thing to drink, nothing beats a nice rum and coke. I actually just found out about a relatively new rum called The Kraken. I fucking love it. It's 94 proof, a bit stronger than most rums, which are usually 70 proof. In fact, I'm off now to grab a bottle to enjoy on this fine St. Patrick's Day. The bottle is pretty sweet lookin', too.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Yo! It's my birthday!

just had a couple bottles of cheap sake. Never had it before. Very tasty. I might try the high end once I got the $ for it. A little buzzed. Happy St. Patty's to all. Hope everyone gets it in...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
I want to try that rum just for the awesome bottle! I don't think I have ever had a rum that strong either.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I've actually had the Kraken, it's good shit.

So I'm buying a flask soon. What are some good liquors to keep in it, 'ya think?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
X-Rated is my all time favorite

because it tastes amazing...and it's pinkkk
Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM

I don't really drink alcohol. I can't hold it very well; messes with my stomach and shit. And I don't like the effects that it has on my coordination skills.. I'm always the designated driver and I kinda love it, at least everyone gets home safe.

However, I know a lot about it! I basically grew up in bars because my parents owned three of them.

So about rum..

The Kraken looks absolutely lovely, but the very best rum is 'Stroh Rum'. It comes in different alcohol variations, and any connaisseur would appreciate it. For a birthday present or gift it is certainly worth it to spend a bit..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stroh-Rum.jpg
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I've been to Napa Valley twice and I want to live there with the breathtaking scenery, the wine tasting venues. I think wine tasting sometimes is more fun than getting too drunk with drinking different things. I've learned my lesson never to mix drinks.

My favorites are Chardonnay, Merlot, Chablis, Champagne.

The types I wines I drink often are:

Vendange
Barefoot
WoodBridge
Sutter Home
Yellow Tail
Kendal Jackson
Lindemans 65

I often like chilled champagne mixed with club soda, ginger ale, with lime /orange slices.

Sangria's and Margarittas are another fave.

Here's a Sand in Shorts recipe I like too:

1/2 oz ChambordŽ raspberry liqueur
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 oz MidoriŽ melon liqueur
1/2 oz triple sec
3 oz cranberry juice
3 oz orange juice
1 oz sweet and sour mix

btw, I've posted in other people's threads, why am I the only one posting in most of my threads?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
This is my #1 beer of choice. I love this shit.

I'm a beer guy. I have a thing for Belgium beer in particular. Some of my friends think my taste in beer is weird and inconsistent because I like a lot of shit:
Delirium Tremens
Red Monk
Achel Brune Extra
Saxo
Duvel
Piraat
Stella Artois
Corona Extra
Heineken
Blue Moon
Flying Dog (Classic, Tire Bite, Old Scratch)
Landshark
Guiness
Michelob Ultra (one of my favorite lite beers)
Dos Equis
Yuengling
Most Sam Adams
Miller Lite (The first beer I ever tried )
Red Stripe
Moosehead
Double Diamond
Becks
Carlsberg

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 06-17-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 AM
I'm well known amongst my mates as a beer snob. It's been a long process but I now refuse to drink the commercial crap made here in Oz such as VB and Carlton Draught.

Fortunately there's plenty of craft breweries along with the imports from the US, Canada and Belgium. Favorites are:

Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale, Torpedo, Stout
Epic - Pale Ale, Armageddon, Lager
Brooklyn Lager
Red Hill - Imperial Stout, Christmas Ale
Feral Hophog
Heather Ales - Ebulum, Alba
St Ambroise - Oatmeal Stout, Spiced Pumpkin
Dieu du Ciel - Aphrodisiaque, Rosee dHibiscus
Emersons Pilsner
2 Brothers - Grizz, Voodoo
Hargreaves Hill - ESB, Stout
Kooinda - Pale Ale, Black IPA

And then there are the wines...

Last edited by hrdude; 10-12-2011 at 02:55 AM..
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Drinking a Santa's Private Reserve by Rogue. Very nice Amber Ale