Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM
David Fincher: Scarlett Johansson too sexy for Dragon Tattoo Role

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ey-mara-249848

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson was just too sexy to play edgy Lisbeth Salander in the big-screen adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, director David Fincher tells the November issue of Vogue.

"We flew in people from New Zealand and Swaziland and all over the place,” he says. “Look, we saw some amazing people. Scarlett Johansson was great. It was a great audition, I’m telling you. But the thing with Scarlett is, you can’t wait for her to take her clothes off.”

"I keep trying to explain this," he goes on. "Salander should be like E.T. If you put E.T. dolls out before anyone had seen the movie, they would say, ‘What is this little squishy thing?’ Well, you know what? When he hides under the table and he grabs the Reese’s Pieces, you love him! It has to be like that."
I'm assuming this interview was done before Johansson's pictures were leaked.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
David Fincher in rare retard form.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
This is the same reason they ultimately passed on me for The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Lisebth Salander isn't supposed to be sexy or hot, so he's right I guess.

Last edited by Tweek; 10-18-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
He's kinda right, but said it in the worst way possible.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
So the actress that did get picked to play Lisbeth can live comfortable knowing that she's not nearly as sexy as Scarlett Johansson.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
So the actress that did get picked to play Lisbeth can live comfortable knowing that she's not nearly as sexy as Scarlett Johansson.
Well, obviously Rooney has nothing on Scarlett body-wise. However, between them, I DO think she has the nicer face (at least when she's not Lisabeth'd up ). But, yeah, Lisabeth was never written as a sexpot, i.e. a girl whom most people would WANT to see get naked (as would be the case for most with Scarlett).
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Well, obviously Rooney has nothing on Scarlett body-wise. However, between them, I DO think she has the nicer face (at least when she's not Lisabeth'd up ). But, yeah, Lisabeth was never written as a sexpot, i.e. a girl whom most people would WANT to see get naked (as would be the case for most with Scarlett).
I just find it funny that Fincher was in a way unintentionally insulting whoever would end up with the part of Lisbeth.
He might as well walk right up to Rooney and say "you're not as sexy as Scarlett. You got the part because guys CAN wait for you to take your clothes off." lol.

But I do understand that it's not in Lisbeths character to be sexy. I believe she was described in the book as being "gothic, having piercing, and tattoos, but not unattractive." or something to that effect.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Rooney Mara may not be quite as hot as Scarlett, but she's definitely no slouch herself either. She's still incredibly gorgeous.

Heck, even from what I've seen of her in the trailer, she's still not bad looking.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Fincher is funny as hell. God I love that guy
Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Would've loved to have seen THAT poster, though.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Fincher is funny as hell. God I love that guy
I know, eh? I always look forward to an Oscar season that involves Fincher because unlike so many actors who suck up and give the same bullshit answers over and over again, Fincher says what he means and doesn't beat around the bush.

Instead of looking at it as an inappropriate comment, it's better to look at it in terms of what it actually means: he understands the character, something that Niels Arden Oplev did not.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Isn't that what the makeup people are for.

Hugh Jsckman's the pretty boy type but he could still do the ugly double in The Prestige. Salma Hayek is one of sexiest women i've ever seen, more so some years back, and she still could play the ugly vampiress. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

If the man's trying to be kind and avoiding to mention that she's not talented enough for the role, then fair play. Nothing so bad about a white lie. Although, as mentioned before, the actress who's cast must feel great about herself.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
If the man's trying to be kind and avoiding to mention that she's not talented enough for the role, then fair play. Nothing so bad about a white lie. Although, as mentioned before, the actress who's cast must feel great about herself.
I'm sure she's fine. She's in the most anticipated movie of the year. She could get an Oscar nomination for this role and even if she doesn't, she'll likely have a great career ahead of her.

I find the Mara sisters pretty attractive myself.

This made me think of something Felicity Huffman said in an interview. She was talking about getting passed over for roles and said the reason was because she wasn't sexy enough. Now normally that would hurt someone's feelings, but she said what gave her the confidence to keep going was that they never said she was a bad actress. They just said she wasn't sexy enough. They didn't find her acting bad.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 10-19-2011 at 03:26 PM..