Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Leo as Candie is also another disappointment. I don't find Leo to be the great actor people make him out to be. More often than not his range is defined by how aggressive he squints at any given scene. Again, he lacks charisma and his take on "acting" more often than not boils down to playing everything "more intensely".

Leo is also simply too young for Candie. It should have gone to someone like Kevin Costner. There was a great brother-like relationship between Candi and Stephen in the script, now he'll have to rewrite it to be more of a father-son thing.

All in all, i'm sure they will turn out ok... it just sucks knowing that the two leads could have been so much better. At least we still have Jackson and Waltz.
http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-costn...d/#more-107931

Bam. Called it...

... granted he isn't playing Candi (he is playing the sadistic henchman to Candi, his right hand man), it still counts! I knew he was going to get Costner for a project after scheduling issues got in the way of Costner playing Bill in Kill Bill (originally he wanted Warren Beatty, then Costner, then Carradine)
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-costn...d/#more-107931

Bam. Called it...

... granted he isn't playing Candi (he is playing the sadistic henchman to Candi, his right hand man), it still counts! I knew he was going to get Costner for a project after scheduling issues got in the way of Costner playing Bill in Kill Bill (originally he wanted Warren Beatty, then Costner, then Carradine)
I'm pretty excited about this. I haven't seen Kevin Costner in ages. He usually plays his roles pretty straight. He gets up their and delivers his lines.
But i'm sure Tarantino will bring us a side of Costner we haven't seen before. Sounds cool.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Between this movie and Man of Steel, 2012 is gonna be a GREAT year for Costner. I've always found him to be incredibly underrated so I'm happy about this.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Kevin Costner is one of my least favorite actors. He has as much range and is as dynamic as a block of wood, as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm getting less and less excited for this film.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Great News for Costner...cant wait

Why anybody thought Will Smith would have been a good choice for Django is seriously wacked out. Even if QT would hire him, he would have gotten fired sometime during filming. Will Smith is arrogant twit and it shows on and off the camera. Its all about him and he tries to prove it every time he's on the screen. He would try to Will Smithify the movie and QT would not have it, and fire him.

I have an example but for those of you who havent read the script I put it in a spoiler thingy.

Spoiler:
Consider the scene were Django and his wife are forced to have sex in front of their white owners. And they violate Django's wife as well as Django himself. Come on, you really think Smith would be down to do something like that?

I feel like the less we see of Smith the better. Anybody but him really.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn-o View Post
Great News for Costner...cant wait

Why anybody thought Will Smith would have been a good choice for Django is seriously wacked out. Even if QT would hire him, he would have gotten fired sometime during filming. Will Smith is arrogant twit and it shows on and off the camera. Its all about him and he tries to prove it every time he's on the screen. He would try to Will Smithify the movie and QT would not have it, and fire him.

I have an example but for those of you who havent read the script I put it in a spoiler thingy.

Spoiler:
Consider the scene were Django and his wife are forced to have sex in front of their white owners. And they violate Django's wife as well as Django himself. Come on, you really think Smith would be down to do something like that?

I feel like the less we see of Smith the better. Anybody but him really.
Speaking of which, do you know where i could find a copy of the script? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Jamie Foxx and Will Smith are both beyond awful picks....but then again I probably just don't want to see this remade or touched at all. Hell, Costner would do the Django character better then them.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCoRyX View Post
Jamie Foxx and Will Smith are both beyond awful picks....but then again I probably just don't want to see this remade or touched at all. Hell, Costner would do the Django character better then them.
It's not really a remake, so Django is just a name. Another homage. Just like how Uma Thurman wasn't Bruce Lee but she wore his clothing from game of death.
If it was a remake then I'd agree. Costner would be a better choice, although not a good one.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 AM
I guess i'm too picky and snotty with it, but why even use the name Django then? You can pay homage to it in other ways. They didn't call Uma Thurman a title character from an old classic, they just paid the homage and tribute in theory and vision.

And what can top the over the top theme song to the original Django?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 AM
This is as much a remake of Django as Inglourious Basterds was of Inglorious Bastards.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCoRyX View Post
I guess i'm too picky and snotty with it, but why even use the name Django then? You can pay homage to it in other ways. They didn't call Uma Thurman a title character from an old classic, they just paid the homage and tribute in theory and vision.

And what can top the over the top theme song to the original Django?
I love that theme song. It's one of the few theme songs I know all the words to. I see what you're saying though. I think it's supposed to be funny more than anything. There were so many unofficial sequels to Django. and a lot of them had nothing to do with the original movie. I think Tarantino is playing on that more than anything.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Aw, Kevin Costner has dropped out of this movie. A real shame.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Hugh Grant, Tim Roth, or Robin Williams for the role of slave owner
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
I still don't understand the choice of Jaimie Foxx, I think that there are other actors better than him and he just seems out of place in a Quentin Tarantino movie. Its not that I dont like the guy, he was awesome in Collateral but I think he's a bit of mix bag but given a good script he is good. So maybe he'll surprise me. I am looking forward to DiCaprio being in a Tarantino movie and a villain, I've always wanted to seem as a villain. I'm looking forward to the rest of the cast too especially Waltz and Costner, which I haven't been excited for a Costner movie in quite some time.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post
I still don't understand the choice of Jaimie Foxx, I think that there are other actors better than him and he just seems out of place in a Quentin Tarantino movie. Its not that I dont like the guy, he was awesome in Collateral but I think he's a bit of mix bag but given a good script he is good. So maybe he'll surprise me. I am looking forward to DiCaprio being in a Tarantino movie and a villain, I've always wanted to seem as a villain. I'm looking forward to the rest of the cast too especially Waltz and Costner, which I haven't been excited for a Costner movie in quite some time.
Costner's not in it anymore. He dropped out.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Costner's not in it anymore. He dropped out.
Really? What was his part again? Wonder who will replace him...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 AM
yeah, i can't help but wonder why he dropped out. I was looking forward to seeing him in a movie like this .
ilovemovies, how did you find this out? I haven't seen this officially announced anywhere.
Hopefully the role goes to someone just as well known.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM
My only guess is that Costner ran into scheduling conflicts.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
My only guess is that Costner ran into scheduling conflicts.
Pretty sure this is the case. He has like 4 other things on the go right now.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 AM
I can't wait for this movie, but I'm a really biased longtime Tarantino fan. As much as I would have liked to see Will Smith as the lead, I think Jamie Foxx will be more willing the push the envelopes that QT plans on pushing. Will Smith is more of a family man than a risk-taker, which is mostly a good thing (for example, Seven Pounds, I Am Legend). I will always approve of Christoph Waltz being cast in anything for any part, he is a magnificent actor. Leonardo Dicaprio has some serious acting chops, but this should be a stretch and a chance to prove himself to his non-believers.

As for casting his friends, I shamelessly have faith that Eli Roth could adapt to whatever small-yet-essential role that Tarantino will cast him in. Rob Zombie, though...that, I'm slightly nervous for.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM
My only problem with Waltz being cast is that it might be too close to his role in Inglourious Basterds. In IB he comes off more as a psychotic, but there is still traces of the sarcasm present in the script for DU. We'll see though.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM
If you hope that Waltz will play it very differently than he did Landa, I think you'll be disappointed (I'm hoping this too btw, but have a feeling it's empty hope)

I'm just excited that Sam Jackson is going to have a meaty part in another Tarantino film. Nobody can speak Tarantino's dialogue better than he can, and the role of Stephen is probably my favorite.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Waltz was a bad guy of sorts in Inglourious Basterds. Isn't he playing a good guy here?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Waltz was a bad guy of sorts in Inglourious Basterds. Isn't he playing a good guy here?

He is, but when reading his dialogue in the screenplay (knowing the character was being played by Waltz) all I heard was Landa. Who knows it'll probably be different in the final product.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
That pretty much has nothing to do with how an actor plays a role. He can still have the same mannerisms, gestures, facial expressions, twitches, glances, nuances etc. whether he's playing good or bad. And he probably will, but I hope I'm surprised.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM
i'm curious and not enclined to read 6 pages of topic ... does this movie have any relations with Sukiyaki Western Django from Takashi Miike in which Tarantino played 2 roles ?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
i'm curious and not enclined to read 6 pages of topic ... does this movie have any relations with Sukiyaki Western Django from Takashi Miike in which Tarantino played 2 roles ?
I highly doubt it. Other than the fact that the "Django" type character is in both films.
But both Miike, and Tarantino seem to be taking major leniencies with the character. So I'm not even sure if it's Django past the name.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I highly doubt it. Other than the fact that the "Django" type character is in both films.
ok , so basically its just another "hommage" movie from Tarantino :s
Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
ok , so basically its just another "hommage" movie from Tarantino :s
It has nothing to do with Miike's film apart from having Django in the title.

It's a typical Tarantino hybrid-hommage movie dominated by his favorite theme, revenge. He refers to it as his "Southern" since it takes place in the South, is an hommage to Sphagetti Westerns primarily inspired by the movie Django (1966) but again having very little in common as far as plot is concerned.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
He is, but when reading his dialogue in the screenplay (knowing the character was being played by Waltz) all I heard was Landa. Who knows it'll probably be different in the final product.
I hope that Waltz is capable of not playing a one-dimensional character. I haven't seen Water for Elephants or Green Hornet yet, but I heard his character was slightly different in Water for Elephants, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Once again, it could just be fangirl bias, but I am completely confident in Tarantino's ability to direct Waltz into the character he needs him to be. Samuel L. Jackson is, probably, one of the most exciting parts of this movie.

How do you guys think this movie will be without Menke? This is Tarantino's first feature without her as editor.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraTheFilmNerd View Post
I hope that Waltz is capable of not playing a one-dimensional character. I haven't seen Water for Elephants or Green Hornet yet, but I heard his character was slightly different in Water for Elephants, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Once again, it could just be fangirl bias, but I am completely confident in Tarantino's ability to direct Waltz into the character he needs him to be. Samuel L. Jackson is, probably, one of the most exciting parts of this movie.

How do you guys think this movie will be without Menke? This is Tarantino's first feature without her as editor.
I hope he edits it himself. I suspect that, like the Coen Bros. and Soderbergh, Tarantino is perfectly capable of doing a first class job, and perhaps externalize his vision better than any other editor could.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilljoy View Post
I hope he edits it himself. I suspect that, like the Coen Bros. and Soderbergh, Tarantino is perfectly capable of doing a first class job, and perhaps externalize his vision better than any other editor could.
I agree 100%. I wonder when we will find that out though.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Michael K Williams joins the cast apparently. I'm assuming this will make a lot of people pretty happy. Has anyone read the script, does anyone know what part he'll play?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, according to the Playlist, he hasn't officially joined. In a recent interview he just sounded very hopeful that it's going to happen and they told him to clear his schedule between January and April. I suspect that means he's most probably going to be in it, but I'm not getting too excited yet until I hear about signatures.

If he is in it there's two possibilities. One, that QT is writing a completely new part just for him, which any of us who read the script have no clue what could be. And the second possibility is that a part of a slave called Bartholomew will be catered for someone like Michael K. Williams. This character is described in the script as being very big. As it is now, the character also has only two lines. So if it is this part Williams will get, it's safe to assume that it will get beefed up.

Time will tell.

I'm curious about who is going to portray Broomhilda and Ace Woody, the only two other 'major' characters left to cast. It's such a shame about Costner, damn. He would of been absolutely perfect for that part.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
I thought they might have expanded on a part of one of the other slaves. I myself have wondered who will play Broomhilda. I figured we'd know everything about this by now. I really assumed that they would have begun shooting by now.
Does anyone know of a place where I can get a hold of the Scr *cough* ipt?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Hope its true

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/...s-django-31469
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Still disappointed about Costner dropping out but hey Kurt Russell is certainly not a bad replacement. And this movie HAS to be better than the last movie Kurt and QT did together! That's for sure.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM
This forum is littered with JGL fans so I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jose...ango-unchained

I'm thinking he could be up for the part of the shy 20-something boy that gets Broomhilda as a gift. Though the role would have to be beefed up a bit for Gordon-Levitt.

The article up there mentions how the casting would conflict with his press obligations for Premium Rush. But, Premium Rush has been bumped all the way down to a late August 2012 release. Perhaps, partly because of Django?

Either way, the cast is looking more and more solid with each bit of news. I personally don't think JGL is the next De Niro like many do, but recently in Inception and 500 Days of Summer, he has impressed. In a QT film, there's no doubt he'll be good.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I really couldn't be happier for Gordon-Levitt. 2012 is going to be his year: Django, Premium Rush, Looper, The Dark Knight Rise, Lincoln...he's certainly one of the most consistent actors in the business right now (on top of being among the most talented).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
I personally don't think JGL is the next De Niro like many do, but recently in Inception and 500 Days of Summer, he has impressed. In a QT film, there's no doubt he'll be good.
Have you seen Mysterious Skin? I definitely recommend it if you haven't. In my opinion, his performance in that alone earns him the right to be mentioned alongside Gosling as the best of his generation.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I second FilmKing. Mysterious Skin, Brick, (500) Days of Summer, Inception - the kid's got range!