Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Rewatch
The People Under The Stairs 6/10

Did Wes Craven got inspired from Home Alone? There are some scenes which were influenced by that movie.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2/10)
While the previous instalment into this franchise proved that not all straight-to-DVD horror sequels have to suck balls, in fact sometimes they can be almost better than their theatrical predecessors, but number 3 is as dull and boring as they come. The convict characters are arguably more monstrous than the cannibals in the film, and the gore is just tasteless. The 'heroic' characters stand by and watch these convicts chop people's legs off and shoot them in the head without so much as a reaction. Terrible performances across the board, and after a while it's just hard to even muster the energy to sit through the rest of this drivel.

Crossing Over (7/10)
Gosh, this was unfairly reviled by critics upon its release. I thought it was okay (it's no Crash ) with moments of greatness. Some of the story threads weaved together too conveniently, and there's one really awful scene where Cliff Curtis speechifies about the pride in attending a Naturalisation ceremony, but overall, it was a better-than-average drama that didn't get too preachy with its themes. It helped that there was a flawless cast. Summer Bishil probably stood out the most to me, and her story thread is the most thought-provoking. Ashley Judd and Ray Liotta were also excellent, nobody plays a somewhat-sympathetic slimeball better than the latter. You can tell watching the film that there were some production issues - it's choppy in places - but overall, it was compelling and entertaining.

I found it hilarious that in one of Crossing Over's scenes where Alice Eve is being interrogated by the authorities and they use the "Internet Movie Database" as one of their investigation tools There's something along the lines of "the Internet Movie Database says you've only starred in two advertisements and never won any awards" or something. Lazy writing much?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Star Wars: Episode 4 - The Limited Edition

ie.

The edition George Lucas didn't fuck with, the original theatrical release on DVD.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM
just got home from seeing

8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (8/10)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Lover Come Back with Doris Day and Rock Hudson - It's basically the same movie as Pillow Talk but it's still fun. Tony Randall is funny as hell in his supporting role and the chemistry between Day and Hudson is perfect. 8/10

Bandido with Robert Mitchum - Set during the Mexican revolution Mitchum plays an arms dealer helping the rebels. It relies more on action than story but at least it's coherent unlike many modern action films. 6/10

Pure - Keira Knightley was pretty good as the waitress and junkie who helps a 10 year old boy deal with his mother's own addictions. The parts where the kid traps the dealer with the help of the police were a little ridiculous but otherwise it's a decent film. 6/10
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Rewatch
The People Under The Stairs 6/10

Did Wes Craven got inspired from Home Alone? There are some scenes which were influenced by that movie.
I wonder that myself actually. I grew up with that movie. Love that movie.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Pearl Jam 20
8/10
Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Good Will Hunting (8/10)
Gran Torino (8/10)

Last edited by Hucksta G; 10-23-2011 at 01:55 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Dark Angel: The Ascent (1994)

Classic Charles Band stuff this, a real B-movie not that its terrible I might add, it not too bad really, the plot is rather odd and makes no real sense, something about a devil girl leaving hell and coming to earth to see what its like and falling in love whilst ridding the living of evil folk.

Pretty weird and pointless with many questions but we won't delve further into it as I'm sure it doesn't matter. Cast is unknown but not totally useless, Angela Featherstone is the only name here, effects are dodgy to say the least but some makeup isn't all that bad. Gotta love these Full Moon gems.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Contagion - 7/10
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
The Trip (Michael Winterbottom, 2011) 3 out of 4 stars
I'm surprised at how a movie with no story could be this enjoyable. There's no major conflict, no climax, etc. It follows Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing fictionalized versions of themselves as they go across England on a tour of various fine dining establishments. Most of the humor is in the witty and fun dialogue and the two charming leads. It's actually an edited-down version of a BBC miniseries, so I'd like to see the miniseries just to see what was cut (because I doubt the miniseries takes 110 minutes to watch).
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
The Ward (John Carpenter, 2011) 1½ out of 4 stars
There's not much I can critique this film about without spoiling it, so I'll give my general feelings about the film and then give some detailed complaints in spoiler tags. The film feels very recycled. There is nothing original about the film. The characters are either unlikeable or boring. The film isn't very scary. The only "scary" moments consist of a girl with a grotesque face (she's just gross, not scary; she looks like a Ghoul from the Fallout games) jumping out, and as everyone knows, jump scares are the laziest kinds of scares. The poster for the film says that "John Carpenter is still the master of shock," and I find it amusing that the poster uses "shock" and not "fear."

Spoiler:

• The plot twist is taken straight out of films like Fight Club (the protagonist is killing off her split-personalities through this ghost), although admittedly the film does a good job of setting up the twist throughout the movie, but it's not like it wasn't predictable from a mile away.

• Why would an entire floor of a hospital be used for one particular patient?
  • How is it healthy to let a patient live their delusions at the risk of their own physical health, especially when you are planning to relieve them of the delusion at some point? The longer someone lives a lie, the harder it is to convince him/her that it is such.
  • Most of the killings take place in some other location, away from the protagonist.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Confessions - 10/10
Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM
The Silent House

Follows in the gimmicky real-time POV footsteps of Spanish horror gem [Rec], but with one distinct difference – director Gustavo Hernandez gets it done in a single take (or several, give or take some possible edits). Though once you get past that astonishing experimental feat – and especially so when you know its trade secret going in – the film itself is standard bump in the night fare. Which is not necessarily a bad thing when this one has some excellent examples of milking tension to the max, but the characters are so poorly drawn and the ending tackier than the dilapidated house the movie’s shot in that the atmospherics become that much more important. And there’s only so far that that can take a movie if it has glaring flaws in other areas.

-> 6/10
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Paranormal Activity 3 - 6/10
Huge improvement over the second one.
Destricted - 2/10
Margin Call - 8/10
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Saw 3D (Kevin Greutert, 2010) out of 4 stars
The movie has one or two funny kills but most of them are boring. The film is no different than the other Saw movies but I did like the way it wrapped up the series.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM

9/10.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Robot Jox (1990)

Some epic robot/mecha fighting going on here with some epic stop motion effects hehe well sort of, its certainly very dated and looks more like an episode of 'Red Dwarf' than a film but its so gloriously tacky and fun.

A Band production (he does churn them out) which does seem to bare a small similarity to the recent 'Reel Steel' but admittedly is more of a mech film. Basically trained fighters combat in massive mechs for control of certain parts of the world which hold value but the fighters are part of a 'Formula 1' type team. Its chock full of silly sci-fi and wonderfully cheesy effects and bluescreen, some of which looks OK some of which looks nasty, but one things for sure the cast do their best to make it seem serious *chuckle*.

Its very easy going stuff and perfect for those sci-fi hounds out there that love a good B-movie and I'm sure we all know of Mr Band's work. Goodies wear white and are team America where as the baddies wear black and are naughty evil team Russia (boo! hiss!) 'crash n burn'.

Contagion

More of a serious and adult version of 'Outbreak' really, minus all the glossy Hollywood action and over the top acting from a certain Mr Gooding and Hoffman. This is totally straight and a very accurate depiction of what could happen if a lethal virus outbreak occured in the present day.

To be frank its so realistic its kinda depressing to watch as we all know this is what would happen in a worse case scenario, filmed in a quite basic manner almost verging on handheld to nail home the stark lines of reality. Its very well made and very well acted by all involved, more of an assemble piece with all stories coming together from various different angles but nothing confusing.

Not really a horror or a thriller but more of a documentary type of film really, its certainly more of an informative film than scary film. You watch and you learn how these things start, can spread and the repercussions of media coverage, ill use of the internet, word of mouth and how there may always be people who will try to make money from even the most grave situation (but I'm sure most can guess that). There is even the old conspiracy theories side that eventually pops up, inevitably, which fuels the fires of panic.

Very good, very real but not the most comfortable watch, these type of films tend to make you itch whilst you watch haha. Interesting it may be but I wouldn't wanna buy it or watch it again to be honest as there is nothing really entertaining here, probably not suppose to be but that's just my view.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackassFan View Post
Children of Men - 9.5/10
9.5/10 is exactly my rating as well ...
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
THE FIRM (1993)

I still like it; hadn't seen it since ooohhhh 1995. Tobin Bell is in it. That's funny. Not as funny as his part in ALIEN NATION the TV series as a serial killer called "Dr. Death" rofl
Everyone knows him from SAW, so he was kinda typecast even before that movie came out.
THE FIRM is excellent.

I like Gene Hackman's role as Avery Tolar, a corrupt lawyer who ultimately sides with the good guys.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 AM

9/10

9/10
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Real Steel - ***

Loved it. Jackman is great. The kid is great. Evangeline Lilly is great. Loved the robot. Loved the father/son story. But I also loved the relationship between Jackman and Lilly. I think despite the fact that her screen time is rather limited, Lilly really makes the most of it. There is a lot that is said but there is a lot that's unsaid too about their relationship that I really liked. The climatic David Vs Gollialith showdown between Atom and Zeus is terrific and even at times quite moving. Especially the look on Lilly's face as they both recall the past but of course it also celebrates the relationship between Jackman and his son. It's a beautifully photographed movie too.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 10-24-2011 at 05:13 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
The Three Musketeers (2011)

Another adaptation of The Three Musketeers hits the big screen and its mainly a miss and a mess!!
This is one of those film that starts well,and maybe 2 or 3 scenes in you know its going to be bad.
It's part campy,comedy, and action,and none of it really works.
I liked 95% of the actors in the film, Logan Lerman,Milla Jovovich,Matthew Macfadyen
Ray Stevenson ,Luke Evans and Juno Temple.
I liked most of the sword play,until they started doing this slo-mo thing,i liked the airship battles,yes i know airships didnt exist in the 17th century,and one sequence is borrowed directly from Star Trek:The Wrath of Khan.
The actors do their best with the grating dialogue,and some scenes are just so odd.For example any scene with Freddie Fox as a fey King Louis XIII are terrible,as he seeks advice on how to woo Queen Anne(the very cute Juno Temple).
This portrayal of King Louis XIII may have worked in a farce directed by Mel Brooks or
in a sketch on Saturday Night Live but it doesnt here.
Director Paul W. S. Anderson likely loves his fiance Milla Jovovich and also loves directing her in action sequences.I love watching her in action sequences...but in the Resident Evil flicks.In THM she just looks downright silly in her 17th century attire twirling through the air with a sword. Im not even going to talk about the 3D.
The film arrogantly ends with nods to a sequel,but unless this flick makes a ton of cash in foreign markets ,its not going to happen.
Scale of 1-10 a 3

What's Your Number?

Anna Faris really shines in this romantic comedy,very funny and sexy as a woman who tracks down the 20 men she had relationships with to see if they now may be the "one".
She and co star Chris Evans have great chemistry together.Sure its predictable and the ending is a bit drawn out ,but sue me i really liked this movie.
Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8/10
Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM

8/10
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post

9/10.
how'd you see this?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
how'd you see this?
Montreal's Festival du Nouveau Cinema. Just finished yesterday and Anatolia was the last movie I saw from the fest. Talk about ending it on a high note.

Got to see The Turin Horse again, completely this time Still the best film I've seen all year next to Tree of Life.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Moneyball -7.5/10
Martha Marcy May Marlene -8/10
Trust -6/10
I Saw The Devil -7/10
X-Men: First Class -6/10
Shame -9/10
Like Crazy -8/10

Last edited by QUENTIN; 10-25-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post

8/10
Personally the last decent horror movie John Carpenter directed. In The Mouth Of Madness remains Carpenter's last great masterpiece.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM

8/10
Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
The West Wing: The Complete Third Season

An interesting experience to jump into, given the current re-election cycle. Though Jed Bartlet never had to contend with a Congress full of no-nothing serial obstructionists, so some of the drama in this third season of an otherwise wonderful series doesn’t cut quite as close to the bone. Continuing from several dangling plot threads left behind after last season, Bartlet’s administration is getting weaker heading into re-election season and like a pack of wild dogs, House Republicans, conservative Democrats and potential primary challengers all come outta the woodwork early to take a bite outta his ass. Wow, prescience much? Sheenis Envy to the max, though I won’t spoil whether or not Martin’s beleaguered Bartlet is Winning in this third of seven seasons. Here’s a hint - I won’t tell you if the Titanic sank in that James Cameron movie, either. Notable bits this time around include Ron Silver’s guest appearances as barracuda-like Democratic strategist Bruno Giannelli, Josh Lyman’s (Bradley Whitford) memorable and hilarious flame war with an Internet fan site, and the episode “Hartsfield’s Landing”, which had one of the series’ most synchronized blends of intellectual chess games (and literal chess games, at that), dramatic poignancy and utter hilarity. Sorkin’s writing is brilliant as ever all around, as are the actors at their peak bringing it to life. Nothing to complain about yet, save for the somewhat corny ending to a certain guest star in the finale that mars an otherwise satisfying ending.

-> 9/10
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM
The Adventures of Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn (Steven Spielberg, 2011)

Tintin was always going to be a risky one, and Spielberg doesn't do as great a job as I was hoping he would. There is the obvious need to squeeze in more action scenes then are really necessary for the sake of a decent film, but that kind of are necessary if the film is pick up an audience big enough for sequel success. The action scenes are great fun to watch though, but its Tintin's detectivey wiles and banter with Captain Haddock that fans would really enjoy and there's a good amount of that too, but the balance isn't quite right. This is far from a disappointment though, it's refreshing to see a different kind of PG rated entertainment movie, the performances are spot-on (Serkis just continues to be the master of mo-cap) and throughout the entire film I had a comfortable little smile that never left my face - which may or may not be a good thing.
7/10
Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 PM

I was going to wait for the Fincher adaptation, but decided what the hell. I tried picking up the book several times, but it's just such a slow read I can't find myself getting into it. The film has several dark themes, but its ending seems too good and rushed. I've read reports that Fincher has changed the ending somewhat and if this is true I hope it's less "happy".

7/10
Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Flamingo Road with Joan Crawford - Crawford plays a former dancer who runs afoul of a corrupt political boss in this noir. All the double crosses may have been a bit much but the acting was very good. Sydney Greenstreet was very good as the man who controls everything and the film doesn't wrap everything up neatly but rather lets the viewer decide what happens. 8/10

Edison, the Man with Spencer Tracy - This film takes a very sympathetic view towards Edison as a man who relied purely on hard work and his own intellect so that was kind of a turn off but Tracy did do a very good job with what he was given. The story itself was a little boring with the only conflict being with the gas company trying to stop him from making his electric light. Overall it was kind of dull with just the one performance to save it from disaster. 5/10

College with Buster Keaton - Keaton plays a scholar who tries to become a star athlete in order to win over a girl. While there aren't as many outrageously funny gags as his other films it's still a pretty good little story. 7/10
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Moneyball -7.5/10
Martha Marcy May Marlene -8/10
Trust -6/10
I Saw The Devil -7/10
X-Men: First Class -6/10
Shame -9/10
Like Crazy -8/10
Nice Haul! Had the same rating for Shame, glad you thought so highly of it.

Last edited by Katsumoto; 10-25-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
What Lies Beneath

8/10
Yep, I give that an 8.5/10 ...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 AM
The People vs. George Lucas (2010)

This is THE doc film any Star Wars fan would want to watch IF they have ever pondered wether the big GL has been correct in his tinkering. Not just the constant fiddling is questioned though, the much talked about prequels are also questioned along with the way in which the big GL has changed as his fame and fortune massed from back in 1977.

To put it bluntly this doc is brilliant stuff and NOT just a GL bashing exercise for fanboys I must stress, this is a very well made argument against the big GL for his tinkering and decisions that are covered by fans from all other the world. Not only fans I might add but big name stars such as Simon Pegg and director Francis Ford Coppola along with others from the media world and effects world add their views, even the last Indy fiasco gets a once over as fans despaired from the mighty fedora wearing hero's humiliation.

From watching this film you do see, with much video evidence, that Lucas has indeed changed, a man who was once proud to fight the establishment has now become the establishment, a massive money making machine with yes men/women at his beck and call and no other input but his own. Its a shame to see but very evident that the story of Star Wars is infact the story of Lucas, Lucas became the dark lord as did Anakin, some say that the success of Star Wars destroyed Lucas as a film maker even.

This doc is extremely interesting it must be said, you do discover many gems of information such as a letter from the PR department of LucasFilm stating that the original negatives of the classic trilogy were PERMANTLEY altered when the SE editions were made!! Also ironically we find that Lucas himself testified before Congress in the US against the colourization of black and white films back in 88 stating that it would be even easier in the future for old negatives to be replaced by new versions and that it would be a great loss and history must not be rewritten!

The main controversy of the doc is the SE editions and why Lucas continues to play with his films when there's nothing wrong with them in the first place. The arguments are strong and could go on forever but it has to be said that at the end of the day the films belong to history now, the reason why Lucas wants to change the films is obviously because he is a different man from way back in 77, of course he wants to change it. Any director could change their old films when they look back on them because people change and look at things differently with age, but they don't do it because its a moment in history.
Gary Kutz (SW producer) points out that the films work because of their limitations, the lack of money, the use of basic effects and lack of high tech, these are all the things that made them great because they are real, not fully cgi, people had to be inventive and use their skills. The same could be said for so many classic films across all genres but you wouldn't dare go back and crowbar in cgi bits or replace whole sections or peoples performances. I think GL forgets about all the folk that made his dreams a reality when he hacks up their hard work, he created the film but he didn't create all the effects, models, sets, costumes, weapons etc...

This is the main crux of the doc really and its very very well presented with lots of footage from the films and homages, not bashing, more frustration really. The originals have been released on DVD of course back in 06 but they were very poor copies plopped onto DVD with no love or attention, we still await good cleaned up versions like Ridley Scott did with 'Blade Runner' or Spielberg with 'E.T.' or even Gilliam with 'Brazil'. Of course there are plenty of Star Wars fans that voice their opinions which some won't agree with and its an argument that both sides will never feel satisfied with but at the end of day everyone respects and loves Lucas for his visual opus, they just wish he would leave it be.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Last Man Standing (1996)

Haven't seen this since 96 on cinematic release but I know it did poorly which is really a bit of a mystery to me as I quite enjoyed this.

Well known of course as a remake of 'Yojimbo' and remake of that 'A Fistful of Dollars' so you know what to expect but admittedly when completely copying certain scenes exactly from the Clint remake you start to wonder why bother. Apart from that it looks great in Prohibition-era Texas with all the natty suits, hats, a dusty ghostly western town and tommy guns blazing.

Action is vicious when it kicks in with some pretty intense over the top gun battles, although the way some bad guys fly back through the air when hit is a tad silly. All the bad guys are well cast and eat up the screen perfectly, Kelly and Walken easily the best, but the casting of Willis was possibly a mistake as he isn't the greatest of actors and doesn't have the presence to pull off a 'Clint' type character.

Love the idea of the era for this remake though, perfect choice, good fun to watch in my opinion if slightly slow inbetween the gun fighting and unfortunately the ending is a bit of an anti climax, could of been more epic than that surely?. Solid stuff.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Rewatch
Near Dark 7/10

One of the best modern vampire movies ever made from the academy award winning director of The Hurt Locker. Hollywood stay away from this film it doesn't need a remake. Look what happened to the Fright Night remake!
Closed Thread