#8681  
Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
The last horror movie I saw was The Exorcist. I remember seeing it at a very young age and being scared, so I finally decided to man up and watch it again last night to see if it's still scary. Unfortunately, it's not. Even worse, it's not even a good movie. It's so incredibly dull that I kept forgetting that I was even watching a horror movie. Linda Blair is excellent as Regan and of the course the iconic theme is great, but the actual exorcism doesn't take place until the movie is almost over, and Regan doesn't even start showing signs of being possessed until forty-ish minutes in. Originally I had my guard way up, but less than halfway into the movie I let it down because nothing was fucking happening. I was so bored out of my mind and very disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #8682  
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Stake Land - 9/10

Easily the best horror movie of 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #8683  
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM
so far watched these today



7/10



8/10



9/10
Reply With Quote
  #8684  
Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 AM


This started really well, but it got worse as it went along. There are too many plot holes. How does Jesse get away with the murders this easily? Are we meant to believe that a teenager gets into a bar in the middle of the night, buys a drink, gets caught by his coach who then takes him to work out as a punishment...in the middle of the night? Then wanders around soaked in blood and the cops don't even notice when they pick him up? He also gets away too easily after killing another person in the film later on, even when the house is set upon by police. Of course, slasher movies aren't known for their logic...but still. Mark Patton's performance is really so-so...the most notable thing about it is his hilarious, feminine scream. There are some decent gore effects and I liked the bus opening, so credit where credit is due...it could've been worse, but it's a significant step down from its predecessor.

5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8685  
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM


8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8686  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM


9/10
Reply With Quote
  #8687  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
The last horror movie I saw was The Exorcist. I remember seeing it at a very young age and being scared, so I finally decided to man up and watch it again last night to see if it's still scary. Unfortunately, it's not. Even worse, it's not even a good movie. It's so incredibly dull that I kept forgetting that I was even watching a horror movie. Linda Blair is excellent as Regan and of the course the iconic theme is great, but the actual exorcism doesn't take place until the movie is almost over, and Regan doesn't even start showing signs of being possessed until forty-ish minutes in. Originally I had my guard way up, but less than halfway into the movie I let it down because nothing was fucking happening. I was so bored out of my mind and very disappointed.
"Not even a good movie" That is a totaly illogical statement.
Reply With Quote
  #8688  
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
first time viewing



7/10

now watching



9/10
Reply With Quote
  #8689  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFrenzy View Post
"Not even a good movie" That is a totaly illogical statement.
Seriously. I mean, to each their own, but although perhaps a little dated, The Exorcist remains to this day one of the defining films of Horror. I simply don't see how any self-respecting fan could dislike it. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night, but to claim that it sucks? That's just beyond me! No offense, magjournal, but wtf!?
Reply With Quote
  #8690  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM


10/10
Reply With Quote
  #8691  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Seriously. I mean, to each their own, but although perhaps a little dated, The Exorcist remains to this day one of the defining films of Horror. I simply don't see how any self-respecting fan could dislike it. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night, but to claim that it sucks? That's just beyond me! No offense, magjournal, but wtf!?
The film is definitely a little dated by now. But really, good writing, acting and directing never goes out of style. Magjournal claims "nothing happened" for the first half of the film but this isn't the case. The Exorcist was a slow-build horror film that took time to develop its characters and locations before jumping into the demony goodness. I can understand someone not liking it for its somewhat slow pace (I personally don't find it slow), but to say nothing happened?

I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors today. I enjoyed it a lot more than part 2. It was good to see the characters get a little development and have to take on their own individual fears against Freddy in the final act. Langenkamp's fate surprised me as well. I'd say a decent 7/10 for this installment.
Reply With Quote
  #8692  
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM


8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8693  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM


8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8694  
Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 PM


8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8695  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 AM


7.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8696  
Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Rest Stop
Reply With Quote
  #8697  
Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 AM
#75 and the horror marathon ends with



7/10
Reply With Quote
  #8698  
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Last Night



8/10



8.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8699  
Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
The film is definitely a little dated by now. But really, good writing, acting and directing never goes out of style. Magjournal claims "nothing happened" for the first half of the film but this isn't the case. The Exorcist was a slow-build horror film that took time to develop its characters and locations before jumping into the demony goodness. I can understand someone not liking it for its somewhat slow pace (I personally don't find it slow), but to say nothing happened?
Fair enough. I suppose what I was getting at is that I don't see how one can watch the film and not appreciate any of its great qualities, even with the new and flashy standards of modern "Horror." You said it much better, though, because although The Exorcist is a slow-build film, there is much going on leading into the infamous exorcism.


10/10
Reply With Quote
  #8700  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Altered - 7/10
Reply With Quote
  #8701  
Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 AM
IN theatre: Paranormal Activity 3

AT home: The Blair Witch Project
Reply With Quote
  #8702  
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I just watched The Blair Witch Project as well.
Reply With Quote
  #8703  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 AM
A Serbian Film (2010)



No Rating
Reply With Quote
  #8704  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 PM
The House of the Devil - 7.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8705  
Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM


Better than the third one. 7.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8706  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM


7/10
Reply With Quote
  #8707  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Insidious - 7/10

The majority of Insidious was great but as usual with most horror movies, the ending was easy to predict and kind of a let down. I would recommend this one though, it has some really good scares and good acting too.
Reply With Quote
  #8708  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Reply With Quote
  #8709  
Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 AM
on DVD



7/10
Reply With Quote
  #8710  
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
on my Netflix Instant Queue



8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8711  
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Reply With Quote
  #8712  
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Halloween (2007) - 6/10
Halloween II (2009) -10/10
Reply With Quote
  #8713  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Wolf Creek

Holy fuck, that movie was a fucking turd. Please kill me now
Reply With Quote
  #8714  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Saint 7/10
Reply With Quote
  #8715  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Darkest Hour Movie i watch last and i rate it 8/10
Reply With Quote
  #8716  
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Alien - 9.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8717  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 PM


8.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8718  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM


8.5/10
Reply With Quote
  #8719  
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Reply With Quote
  #8720  
Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Watched Tucker and Dale Vs Evil last night loved it, funny as hell.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump