Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Yeah, I'm fine with this matchup, too, and I'm fine with either team winning (the Cards because I'm a genuine fan -- though, again, if they hadn't won it all just 5 years ago I'd be rooting a little harder for them; the Rangers because they're one of the leauge's 8 teams that have not yet won a WS). But, unfortunately, many people have been brainwashed into believing that only the biggest-market teams on the coasts actually matter... which is bullshit. Why not just have 7-8 teams then?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Agreed Hoojib. So who takes Game 3 tonight then?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Well this thing is probably going 7 games, and if I had my way the Cardinals will take it. Game 3 > Game 4!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 AM
What'd I tell you?!

Cardinals Clutch! Game 7! First time since 2002! Helluva game tonight (if not bizarre with all the errors)! Helluva series this year as well!

St. Louis can win Championship Number 11 tomorrow night! Let's do this.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Holy shit that game was crazy. If Texas loses tonight that game 6 loss is going hurt more than most losses in the history of baseball. They had that game in the palms of their hands like 3 times. It'll be tough to come back from a loss like that.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
They won't. Texas will do what Boston did in '86, lose.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Rangers: biggest World Series choke since the '86 Red Sox. : ?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
CARDINALS WIN! I love it! God bless 'em, they fucking DESERVE IT! Fuck Texas! St. Louis for the WIN!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Though I'm not really a fan of any Texas pro sports team, I'd say the Rangers are at least one of the more tolerable ones -- the Cowboys and the Stars being the most evil.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Aaaand Texas lets another World Series that they "should have won" down the drain.

Who knows, I hope they will be back next year. With 2 appearances behind the belt, more quality players will be willing to get traded there so hopefully they can get a real ace pitcher in the off season.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh the world series is over. So basically some team that backed in to the playoffs won? Nice. I laugh at the Rangers, Brewers and Phillies.

Ha ha ha to the Phillies. I guess SI was wrong when they called them the greatest starting 5 ever. I guess Lee was wrong when he said he picked the Phillies over the Yankees, because they are a younger team (they aren't). I wonder who else they will steal from Houston next year. Hell yes, I am bitter.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post

Ha ha ha to the Phillies. I guess SI was wrong when they called them the greatest starting 5 ever. I guess Lee was wrong when he said he picked the Phillies over the Yankees, because they are a younger team (they aren't). I wonder who else they will steal from Houston next year. Hell yes, I am bitter.

I was under the impression Lee picked the Phillies because he liked to bat. (You know... aside from the 160 million.)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM
A little late on this but congrats to the St. Louis Cardinals out of the 7 games of the world series I only got to watch game 5 and the rest of game 6(bot 9th on) So I didn't get to see a lot of it and while I wasn't initially interested in the beginning I found it really compelling and was more into it as the series went on

Congrats to them and good job to the Atlanta Braves to which had they not choked away a 10.5 game lead in the wild card this would have never happenned

Quote:
More than less starting 4 ever. Oswalt did spend a decent part of the year injured and Lee and Hallada had reall amazing years like they usually do Hamels wasn't as great as them but was really good all year.

The problem with Phily is their offense just wasn't that good at times this year and will be even worse with Howard hurt with a torn ACL which will really hurt and its not like they have the money to sign Fielder or Pujols who I think are staying the the NL. I think Pujols resigns with St. Louis or goes to the Cubs and Fielder either goes to the Giants or either Cards or Cubs depending on Pujols.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
MLB AWARDS

Since these are next to come out here we go here's what I think and why feel free to argue or disagree or agree if you wish

AL MVP - Justin Verlander

This will be interesting how people will vote because its pretty much about philosiphies some writers think a SP shouldn't be considered for the MVP award tell me in the rule book that says SPs aren't eligible. And the other 2 players you can make the case for are Jacob Ellsbury and Curtis Granderson I'd say Jose Bautista as well but the Jays haven't been in contention all year so that ends that(MLB really needs an most outstanding player award)

Here's why I say Verlander
- He's 16-3 after a Tigers loss the most losing streaks stopped by any pitcher on any first-place team since Sandy Koufax in 1966.
- Verlander is the first AL pitcher in 40 years with 24 wins and 250 strikeouts.
- His ERA in his losses (3.38) is lower than Felix Hernandez's ERA for the season (3.47).
- He's 14-1 against his division.
- He pitched a no-hitter and almost threw two more.
- After April he was 22-2 with a 2.15 ERA and 0.8996 WHIP.
- Opposing leadoff men are hitting .186 against him
- Opposing cleanup hitters are hitting .224 with only three homers. Even though he's faced 969 hitters, he has held MLB to a .192 opponent average and .242 on-base percentage -- two crazy numbers that no other AL pitchers in the entire DH era have matched when they had to duel that many hitters.

NL MVP - Ryan Braun

This was tough because there's a case for Upton too and no doubt if the Dodgers weren't a complete mess Matt Kemp would win this hands down. If Upton wins he's also deserving of it as well.

AL LVPs Adam Dunn & Alex Rios

Alex Rios this season(making $12 million this year)
.227 AVG .265 OBP .348 SLG 13 HRs 44 RBIs 64 Rs

Alex Rios's Contract(from Toronto and claimed off waivers by White Sox in 2009)

2012 - $12 million
2013 - $12.5 million
2014 - $12.5 million
2015 - $13.5 million(team option with a $1 million buyout)

Adam Dunn's Season
.159 AVG .292 OBP, .277 SLG, 11 HRs 42 RBIs 177 Ks

And he makes $14 million the next 3 years

NL LVP - Hanley Ramirez
This one isnt even close he hit under .200 for 2+ months and was horrible all year

AL CY YOUNG - Justin Verlander
No explanation neccesary

NL CY YOUNG - Clayton Kershaw
This was the other hard one and a case for Lee And Halladay and being a Blue Jays fan Im a huge Halladay fan here's why Kershaw gets it he leads the NL in Wins, ERA, Ks and WHIP. And ERA in the 2nd half of this year was 1.31 ridiculous

AL CY YUK(worst pitcher) - John Lackey
- ERA 6.41 is the worst of any pitcher in Red Sox history
- Out of 95 pitchers who qualify for the ERA title he is last in opponent batting average (.306), on-base percentage (.375) and OPS (.852)

NL CY YUK(worst pitcher(s)) - Edinson Volquez and Carlos Zambrano

Zambrano was awful all year and Volquez was awful was the Reds opening day starter and was booted off the roster during the year.

AL Rookie of the Year - Jeremy Helicksson

This award was Pineda's until he tailed off in the 2nd half and Helicksson had a great year with great performances against great lineups like the Yankees and Red Sox.

NL Rookie of the Year - Craig Kimbrel
This one isn't even close and should be unimous as well

Managers Of The Year
AL Joe Maddon
NL Tony LaRussa

There's that's what I think I'm sure there will be a disagreement with the AL MVP selection so fire away if you wish
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Oh the world series is over. So basically some team that backed in to the playoffs won? Nice.
Still better than seeing the Yankee$ win yet again.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I was under the impression Lee picked the Phillies because he liked to bat. (You know... aside from the 160 million.)
The age comment came from Le's mouth early in the season. One reason he did not talk about was the fact that he has a kid that is sick (i forget with what) and Philly has the best childrens hospital in the whole world.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
MLB AWARDS
There's that's what I think I'm sure there will be a disagreement with the AL MVP selection so fire away if you wish
AL MVP He wont win it, but he should. Granderson. Call me a homer. I don't care about Verlander. He is not the MVP I am not going to get into why I do not think this way. Grandy had a low average, but he was at the top for homers, RBis, crushed everyone in runs and was had a lot fo Stolen bases. I count out Boston's two guys, because I feel they cancel eachother other. I do not count the last 4 weeks of the season against them. I do not give it to Bautisa. He had a great year, but you have to do something really special to win the mvp on the .500 team. I would like to point out if Guidry did not win it in 1978, Verlander does not win it now. Guidry was 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA.

NL MVP
I do not follow the NL nearly as much as the AL. Braun looks like the choice for me. I could live with Kemp. He was nealry triple crown.

AL CY Verlander
NL CY Clayton Kershaw

I do not give awards to managers who back into the playoffs. Based on the whole year
AL Mgr Detroit
NL Mgr Arizona
Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
AL MVP He wont win it, but he should. Granderson. Call me a homer. I don't care about Verlander. He is not the MVP I am not going to get into why I do not think this way. Grandy had a low average, but he was at the top for homers, RBis, crushed everyone in runs and was had a lot fo Stolen bases. I count out Boston's two guys, because I feel they cancel eachother other. I do not count the last 4 weeks of the season against them. I do not give it to Bautisa. He had a great year, but you have to do something really special to win the mvp on the .500 team. I would like to point out if Guidry did not win it in 1978, Verlander does not win it now. Guidry was 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA.
I can see how Granderson can win he's the 2nd player to have 40HRs 10 triples and 20 SBs same with Ellsbury it's not like last last year's AL Cy Young award.

For me it's what's the team like without the player and I think if the Red Sox had not completely collapsed and choked away a playoff spot it would have been Ellsbury's since he was the only Red Sox player that did really anything in the last month of the year
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
I can see how Granderson can win he's the 2nd player to have 40HRs 10 triples and 20 SBs same with Ellsbury it's not like last last year's AL Cy Young award.

For me it's what's the team like without the player and I think if the Red Sox had not completely collapsed and choked away a playoff spot it would have been Ellsbury's since he was the only Red Sox player that did really anything in the last month of the year
Elsbury and Grandy both had awesome seasons, but ARod was out most of the year, while no one of the same magnatude was out for the Sox.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I really do not like the recent voting for the awards. I am talking the last few years. The voters seem to be writing their own rules these days and seem to be sorry about some past winners. They are more like feel good awards, rather than who really should be the winner.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm glad Verlander won the AL MVP, simply because I feel it shows the voters weren't using history as a barometer. I hated the argument that Pedro didn't win in '99 even though his stats were better, therefore no pitcher should win. Pedro had stiffer competition that year. Pedro finished second to Pudge, who batted .332 with 35 homers and 113 RBI, not to mention a Gold Glove. No skill position player this year had a season like that.

If you feel someone other than Verlander should've won, that's fine. But all the talking heads brought up Pedro's '99 season and I just don't see how that's relevant. Compare Verlander to his competition today. Personally, I feel like it was the right choice.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
I really do not like the recent voting for the awards. I am talking the last few years. The voters seem to be writing their own rules these days and seem to be sorry about some past winners. They are more like feel good awards, rather than who really should be the winner.
I have no problem with the winners I thought they were well deserved and unpredictable mind you what I do have a problem with is this

1. A writer for Texas voting for Michael Young and putting Bautista 8th (really??)
2. A writer not putting Verlander on his ballot at all
3. 1 Writer not putting Ian Kennedy on their NL Cy Young award ballot
4. David Robertson got a 10th place MVP vote
5. Albert Pujols gets left off 2 MVP ballots
6. Joey Votto gets left off 4 MVP ballots
7. 6 Philadelphia players get MVP votes

Yes thats right 6 fucking players got votes Halladay, Howard, Victorino, Pence, Lee and Ruiz. Like how does that happen.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
I have no problem with the winners I thought they were well deserved and unpredictable mind you what I do have a problem with is this

1. A writer for Texas voting for Michael Young and putting Bautista 8th (really??)
2. A writer not putting Verlander on his ballot at all
3. 1 Writer not putting Ian Kennedy on their NL Cy Young award ballot
4. David Robertson got a 10th place MVP vote
5. Albert Pujols gets left off 2 MVP ballots
6. Joey Votto gets left off 4 MVP ballots
7. 6 Philadelphia players get MVP votes

Yes thats right 6 fucking players got votes Halladay, Howard, Victorino, Pence, Lee and Ruiz. Like how does that happen.
Honestly, It is hard to have any respect for the voters of the baseball awards. What the fuck do sports writers know about it? It is clear they are more concerned with doing what they want and not what is right.

Same thing for the Hall fo Fame.

The voting should be done by the sport itself not writers
Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
WOW $254 million. Good for the Angels and they got CJ Wilson. They have been cheap bastards for years. About time they open up the purse.

I am glad the Yankees are once again not signing the biggest free agents.

Good for the Marlins too. There should be a rule, that they can't trade amyone they sign.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I was surprised that no AL teams were mentioned in the Pujols sweepstakes. Wouldn't it be logical for an AL team to throw more years/money at him since they can move him to DH later in his career?

Angels makes perfect sense, even at that price. Plus, in 8 years or so, even if he slows down, he could be chasing the home run record, bringing in crazy amounts of fans. He's worth every penny.

As a Phillies fan, I'm glad to see that monster out of the NL.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, what a crazy day for sports trades/signings (both MLB and NBA). I wonder where Fielder will sign?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I would assume the suitors for Fielder will be the teams who lost out on Pujols: Cubs, Marlins, and Cardinals. Fielder is younger, so a 10 year deal in the NL isn't out of the question (that's what apparently made Pujols choose the Angels... Cardinals only offered 8 years, and the Marlins wouldn't give him a no-trade clause to protect themselves in case he started sucking when he's 40). Gut feeling: Cubs sign him for 10 years, $175 million.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Quote:
WOW $254 million. Good for the Angels and they got CJ Wilson. They have been cheap bastards for years. About time they open up the purse.

I am glad the Yankees are once again not signing the biggest free agents.

Good for the Marlins too. There should be a rule, that they can't trade amyone they sign.
Good for the Angels thats a lot of money but sure worth it. Remember they are paying Vernon Wells 21-23 million the next 3 years.

This team is the favourite to come out the AL next year

The Yankees and Red Sox aren't involved at all this year which is nice for a change.

Yankees still need depth at pitching as they are begging anybody to take AJ Burnett
Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
CJ has been a good pitcher for the us. But he a knack for losing playoff games. 0-3 in World Series games.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-09-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
CJ has been a good pitcher for the us. But he a knack for losing playoff games. 0-3 in World Series games.
Well he'll be the 3rd starter for the Angels (behind Weaver and Santana), so he'll have more favorable matchups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy View Post
Bear in mind, the Angels' line-up is still full of question marks. Who knows if Hunter and Wells have anything left in the tank? Surely, they can score enough runs to coast deep into the postseason, but let's wait and see.

I'm not 100% sure why Prince Albert would want to walk away from the World Champions. He doesn't seem like the type to chase dollar signs. Are two years that big of a deal?
The Cardinals' offer was an insult. It was only 8 years, and the annual salary would've made Pujols the 4th highest paid player at his position (he would've been behind Tex, Howard, and Gonzalez). In all likelihood, once Prince signs, the offer from the Cards would've made Pujols the 5th highest paid player at his position. He's the best player in baseball.

He won multiple MVPs and 2 rings. He already gave the Cards a break with his last deal. They owed it to him to lock him down, and they couldn't do it. I don't blame him at all. I think he did the right thing.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Sorry, I don't believe Braun. I did not believe Poppy when it happened either. The MVP cheated.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy View Post
Bear in mind, the Angels' line-up is still full of question marks. Who knows if Hunter and Wells have anything left in the tank? Surely, they can score enough runs to coast deep into the postseason, but let's wait and see.

I'm not 100% sure why Prince Albert would want to walk away from the World Champions. He doesn't seem like the type to chase dollar signs. Are two years that big of a deal?
The Angels made some good moves and pitching will be their backbone and hope they have enough hitting. You are 100% right about Hunter and Wells. Not sure what is in the farm.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Currently a long suffering Cubs fan who wonders if he'll ever see them win a title in his lifetime. I'm glad that Albert Pujols left the division, but I'm not sure how well he'll do in the AL-the pitching over there is pretty damn good, maybe even better than the pitching in the NL. He'll be expected to carry the team offensively, and he won't have much protection in the lineup although the Angels do have Trumbo and Welles. LA's pitching staff is pretty rock solid, but I'm not sure if they are a World Series contender. They will be a pick to win the division next year, though.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Wow, what a crazy day for sports trades/signings (both MLB and NBA). I wonder where Fielder will sign?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvaYgWc9eY

The Tigers line-up just hit awesome levels if they can get Austin Jackson to become a real lead off hitter. Victor Martinez as a DH next year or maybe in August is now frosting on the cake if it happens.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
They're definitely going to have a beast of a hitting line-up. There are some issues to figure out defensively, but nothing too serious.

On another note, the Yankees have signed Kuroda and traded for Pineda, which greatly strengthens their rotation. They had to give up Montero, which is a bit of a shame because I believe he could end up being a great major league player, but the Yankees need pitching and I'm glad they no longer have to jerk Montero around and use him as trade bait.

Now all they need to do is get a solid DH.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
The Cardinals' offer was an insult. It was only 8 years, and the annual salary would've made Pujols the 4th highest paid player at his position (he would've been behind Tex, Howard, and Gonzalez). In all likelihood, once Prince signs, the offer from the Cards would've made Pujols the 5th highest paid player at his position. He's the best player in baseball.
Oh, poor guy. He'd only be able to afford a two MEDIUM-sized mansions and FOUR jacuzzis. Can we please let go of this dick-measuring mentality as far as how much money a player makes? If you're already financially well-off (as Pujols is... unless he has a major spending problem ), who gives a fuck if you're not making as much as another guy at your position? Along with religion, ego remains the biggest detriment to human progress.

Quote:
The Tigers line-up just hit awesome levels if they can get Austin Jackson to become a real lead off hitter. Victor Martinez as a DH next year or maybe in August is now frosting on the cake if it happens.
Yeah, that's what everyone said in '08 as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
The 2012 baseball season will be starting soon. Jeter and A-Rod have a little age on them, but the Yankees still have a shot at the World Series.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
The 2012 baseball season will be starting soon. Jeter and A-Rod have a little age on them, but the Yankees still have a shot at the World Series.
Just a shot, huh? I guess Cano, Teixeira, Granderson, CC and Rivera don't count for much.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Just a shot, huh? I guess Cano, Teixeira, Granderson, CC and Rivera don't count for much.
I don't think they're the favorite, but like every year, they're definitely a contender.