Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one is the master of mind fuck?
David Cronenberg 27 58.70%
David Lynch 21 45.65%
I Hate Both!!!! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2003, 11:40 PM
David Cronenberg VS David Lynch

I love both but I've enjoyed more Cronenberg films than I have Lynch. Lynch films tend to be hard to sit through yet undeniably brilliant and poetic.

Hard decision. I'll go with both.

Matt
Old 04-15-2003, 01:38 AM
I think they are both brilliant...but I always love Cronenberg's films...I have never seen one that I haven't at least thought was very intriguing. Lynch, I like some of his stuff, but not all of it...
Old 04-15-2003, 03:18 AM
Cronenberg always has something new up his sleeves.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Ack so hard to pick....

I'm going with Lynch but I love both
Old 04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Lynch: I love most of his films whereas it's a bit hit-and-miss whether I'll like Cronenberg or not.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Cronenberg. His films are much more nastier than Lynch's, IMO.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:01 PM

Both are great, however for myself Cronenberg can be weird bordering stupid. Lynch is always brilliant. Therefore, David Lynch gets my vote.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Cronenberg
Old 04-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Lynch rocked my world with Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man and so...
Old 04-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Cronenberg
Old 04-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Cronenberg gets my vote, sure Naked Lunch sucked ass, but Scanners and Videodrome were quite good, I've not seen any of David Lynch's movies although i'd like to see Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Cronenberg. Although I do love Lynch's work as well. Why wasn't there an option for "I love them both!" ???
Old 04-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Because you can pick both on the poll. I gave the option of picking both so I wouldn't have to write that specifically.

Matt
Old 04-17-2003, 02:32 PM
we should post the same topic over in the other best/worst/vs forum... betcha five bucks that Lynch would win.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
we should post the same topic over in the other best/worst/vs forum... betcha five bucks that Lynch would win.

All the non horror schmoes will mostly be like Cronenberg who????

I don't think he gets much love outside of the horror circles.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
David Cronenberg, easily.

Lynch sucks.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
They're both auteurs of outlandish horror art films, but I have to go with Lynch. He finds the most unique ways to scare viewers out of their wits and mind-fuck them at the same time. Cronenberg is great, but some of his films just feel so...small-scale for their content and end so abruptly. It's easy to be entertained by Cronenberg, but hard to be satisfied in the end.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I seriously couldn't choose.

They're both amazing.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Gotta go with Cronenberg here...
Old 09-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Not a big fan of either (actually hate Lynch), but "eXistenZ" is incredible. So Cronenberg.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I gotta go with Cronenberg, based on their filmographies. Of Cronenberg's work, I love nearly everything (save for one or two), but Lynch made only two films that I absolutely love - Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart.

X-Nightcrawler, you're really an ardent eXistenZ fan, aren't ya? Not one of my favorites, but it is a cool movie. You don't see too many people supporting that one, even Cronenberg fans.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Woah... like 'em both dear dudes n duddettes. Both Mr Lynch and Mr Cronenberg are brilliant in their own right - Canadian nutso directors who explored the dark side of humanity without flinching. Both their movies have been beautiful yet horrific in their own way. And yes, sticks in your head; tough to erase. To add - either of their stuff are not of everyone's taste.

Regrettably, I never get to watch more of Cronenberg's (so far it's just The Fly, Dead Ringers, Videodrome and History of Violence).

As for Lynch's, it's almost all except Fire Walk With Me, Elephant Man and Straight Story. Dune was my first exposure to Lynch's universe (shown on TV in 1987), followed by Twin Peaks (still not yet a fan) - but it was Arrow's review of Muholland Dr (along with Donnie Darko) which had me seeking more of Mr Lynch.

As far as differences are concerned:-

Cronenberg's movies are gnarlier and gorier - leaning on the physical and medical; mind vs body issues. (Clive Barker's cinematic counterpart)

Lynch's movies are more psychological-oriented (his stuff a little slower-paced) - dealing with human relationship; behind-closed-doors issues. (Cross btwn Wong Kar Wai, Luis Bunuel and Hitchcock)

Guess I favoured Mr Lynch a little more (call me sicko but over the years, he had become a cinematic father figure for me). As for Mr Cronenberg's, I just need to watch more of his stuff.

Anyway Dear MINDFUCKERS OF THE WORLD, let's UNITE and SALUTE these TWO DAVIDS.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 AM
both
Old 10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieee View Post
All the non horror schmoes will mostly be like Cronenberg who????

I don't think he gets much love outside of the horror circles.
I'm a pretty non-horror person and I went with an easy Cronenberg.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
David Cronenberg, easily.

Lynch sucks.
I second that! Lynch isn't a mindfuck he's a mindrape, his movies are fucking gibberish and I still wonder how Hollywood execs put this crap out. Maybe I should write a bunch of random bullshit that goes nowhere and see if they pick it up.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, except you'll never write Blue Velvet, the Twin Peaks series, Elephant Man or Straight Story in a million years.

Lynch has more range, but Cronenberg I can watch more frequently. Fly is the shit.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Definitely David Lynch. So far of Cronenberg's I've seen Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch & A History of Violence, and while all have been OKish and watchable, I just can't seem to get excited by any of them. Nothing draws me in, for some reason.

However, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Fire Walk With Me are amongst the most atmospheric, creepy, fascinating and mind fuckiest movies I have ever seen, and I NEVER grow tired of them!

Wasn't impressed with Inland Empire though, and I really hope that wasn't his last feature film...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I always get more from Cronenberg films, although Lynch has made genius work.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Both are enjoyable in their own right. I much prefer Cronenberg though. His dive into human psychology is really interesting. It's not all guts and gore like most people assume.

Lynch sometimes traverses the territories Cronenberg frequents, but he never hits the nail on the head for me the way Cronenberg does.

Mulholland Drive is great, and it's one of my favorite movies of the last decade. But Lost Highway was garbage.

On the other hand, Cronenbergs early films on viruses, human transformation and Identity are pretty much all brilliant.
I especially enjoy the more Identity heavy tone with his most recent films "Eastern Promises" and "A History of Violence". Both excellent, and important works that are too often written off as mindless entertainment.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
David Cronenberg definitely.

I enjoy both; but Cronenberg totally takes the cake for making brilliant movies. Best filmmaker working today.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Lynch all the way. His films truly move me in so many different ways. It's indescribable what Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet does for me on an emotional level. Call me crazy.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Cronenberg has more good films with The Fly leading the way for me.

I love Blue Velvet and Eraserhead and liked The Straight Story, but I think Lynch is overrated.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I think both directors are very unique and original in their own way, but if I were to pick between the two; being that this is a "horror" website, than the obvious response would be David Croenenberg. Several of his films alone; Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, The Fly (remake), Scanners, Videodrome, etc, are some of the most innovated films to ever grace the horror genre. However, if your speaking in terms of films that are genuinely creepy and get under your skin, then my pick would be David Lynch. Eraserhead, Blue Velvet (still Dennis Hopper's best role), Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, and Mullholland Dr (the Winkie's Diner scene is one of the creepiest/scariest moments ever filmed). David Lynch has a knack for tapping into people's inner fears, plus he fills his movies with the most bizarre characters ever to grace a movie screen. His only blemish in my opinion; I haven't really watched most of his latest work, would have to be Dune (1984).
Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Cronenberg has more re-watch value, for me, anyway.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-for-a-Dream View Post
I love both but I've enjoyed more Cronenberg films than I have Lynch. Lynch films tend to be hard to sit through yet undeniably brilliant and poetic.

Hard decision. I'll go with both.

Matt
David Lynch rocks!

They are both brilliant geniuses, they're both at the top of their game, and they're both in a league of their own. Neither director can be compared to any other director, and each is sui generis.

Although I'm beginning to like Cronenberg more and more, David Lynch is so far my favorite director. Lynch has an extremely unique and effective way of capturing and portraying human psychology ... and it's completely unlike anyone else.

His final three movies (Lost Hwy, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire) are total psychological mind fuck movies that each viewer will interpret differently. My top Lynch movies are:

Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Lost Hwy
Twin Peaks
Fire Walk with Me
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemuncer View Post
Definitely David Lynch. ... Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Fire Walk With Me are amongst the most atmospheric, creepy, fascinating and mind fuckiest movies I have ever seen, and I NEVER grow tired of them!
Testify, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemuncer View Post
Wasn't impressed with Inland Empire though, and I really hope that wasn't his last feature film...
Inland Empire and Lost Hwy often get bad reviews, and it's understandable why. However, I adore them both, and they are part of the reason Lynch is among my favorite directors.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Knocker View Post
Inland Empire and Lost Hwy often get bad reviews, and it's understandable why. However, I adore them both, and they are part of the reason Lynch is among my favorite directors.
Lol! I'm the opposite. I had a strong dislike for Lost Highway, but I could see where Lynch fans would enjoy it. I myself am a Lynch fan, but the only movie of his I really enjoy is Mulholland Drive. The majority of stuff I enjoy from him is his short films, especially Rabbits!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Aside from Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Elephant Man and Straight Story...I can't stand Lynch. I find his films painfully sterile. His mind-fuckness keeps me at am arms length while Cronenbergs pulls me in. While not all of his films are completely mindfucky, they are always incredibly engaging and entrancing. I love damn near all of his films from Shivers (AKA They Come From Within), Rabid, The Brood, The Fly, Scanners, Dead Ringer, Videodrome, Naked Lunch, The Dead Zone, A History of Violence, Existenz....shit all aces in my book.