Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Some new screens

I'm lovin the bow in the third pic and the forth pic looks amazing. This effin game can't come out fast enough!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Oh here we go with the ignoramus Xbox vs PS3 battle. When are Xbox fans just admit the fact that PS3 is much more powerful? Cartoony graphics vs Realistic, I'll take realistic anyday. PS3, next best thing to having a high powered PC
A friend of mine was part of the development team that converted Oblivion to the PS3. They had a fuck load of problems getting it to run as well as it did on the 360.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
A friend of mine was part of the development team that converted Oblivion to the PS3. They had a fuck load of problems getting it to run as well as it did on the 360.
That doesn't mean the 360 is more powerful than the ps3. The 360 is WAY more user friendly for game designers. It's SOOO much easier to make a game work properly on the 360.
So for a game like Skyrim, or any game. The developers can breeze through production.
The PS3 on the other hand is a lot more complicated. It's more powerful, but it's also more of a pain in the ass for developers.

Basically, the final product of a PS3 game that pushes the PS3 to it's limits would look better and play better than a 360 game that pushes the 360 to it's limits.

The problem is, neither console has reached their limits. So for right now it doesn't really matter. Both systems are pretty equal. It just depends on what type of games you like to play. The only obvious bonus for PS3 users is having BluRay discs which hold A LOT more information than the standard DVD that a 360 disc holds.
Which ultimately allows for bigger games, less compressed files, and for bigger games it means only one disc.

Games like Mass Effect 2 can fit on one BR but have to be 2 discs for 360.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
So can we sneak up on people and finish them off by slitting their throat now?!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
One can hope. You can sneak in the game so hopefully they've added a type of sneak finisher or something. From what i recall sneaking was pretty much only good for stealing things and getting past guys, it would be sweet if they added a combat element to it. Would probably make more ppl play that kind style.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Quote:
One can hope. You can sneak in the game so hopefully they've added a type of sneak finisher or something. From what i recall sneaking was pretty much only good for stealing things and getting past guys, it would be sweet if they added a combat element to it. Would probably make more ppl play that kind style.
Agreed. I rarely every snuck around in the past two games because I never felt like it was useful enough. It seemed as though you needed a ridiculously high sneak skill in order to do anything useful, and I never cared to level it up because of that. If this is what the new sneak skill is capable of, I'll definitely be sneaking a lot more.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM
New info is that you can summon a dragon that befriends you...cool.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Agreed. I rarely every snuck around in the past two games because I never felt like it was useful enough. It seemed as though you needed a ridiculously high sneak skill in order to do anything useful, and I never cared to level it up because of that. If this is what the new sneak skill is capable of, I'll definitely be sneaking a lot more.
well that was the funny thing about it too. The ES games have been using a "lvl as you use" skill system as opposed to the "spend points" system of the Fallout's. I think this ES will be a mix of the two in that you still get the modifiers for using the skills between lvl ups but that you are spending pts where you like. Or at least i'm hoping since they have added a 'perk' system to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
New info is that you can summon a dragon that befriends you...cool.
Nice, that will probably be one of the dragon speach abilities you can learn. I can't wait to see how that stuff works out and how the dragons play into it. Having a helper spawn is pretty basic and i hope they get pretty creative. It would be pretty boring if it was just a bunch of temporary stat boosts, heh.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Neat little video got posted.

Skyrim Live Action Trailer

Nothing on the actual game but cool non the less.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Another video, this one is a mock of stuff like Planet Earth docs but for Skyrim. It's actually kind of funny at parts and at all times looking amazing.

Planet Skyrim

The bit at the end, when he's talking about the Dragons mating habits i was totally waiting to see if they were going to mount. Just the thought of walking through the hill side and coming over a ridge to see two dragons getting down it hilarious!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Just got the new PC I've been saving up for. Plays Mass Effect 2 like Solitaire. Should handle Skyrim pretty well.

Picking up Skyrim day one, which is the first time in three years I can say that. I EXCITE. OMG.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Just got the new PC I've been saving up for. Plays Mass Effect 2 like Solitaire. Should handle Skyrim pretty well.

Picking up Skyrim day one, which is the first time in three years I can say that. I EXCITE. OMG.
Yeah i picked up a new computer back in May in anticipation for games like Skyrim. I prefer console gaming for most types of games but for FPS's and huge RPG's the PC is the way to go.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM
The Bluffers Guide to The Elder Scrolls

So here we are in the week of release and here's a funny little video about the evolution of the 4 elder Scrolls games so far.

I'll admit my experience started with Morrowind but i was using computers at the time of the original 2 games release but was not of the age to be buying my own games. The vid is interesting and pretty funny at times (especially the Oblivion part).

So 4 days left until release. I really wish they didn't bother with the whole 11.11.11 nonsense since the game would probably be out tomorrow if they hadn't, lol.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
So 4 days left until release. I really wish they didn't bother with the whole 11.11.11 nonsense since the game would probably be out tomorrow if they hadn't, lol.
Oh lol, I looked at it as it probably would have been out next tuesday!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Oh lol, I looked at it as it probably would have been out next tuesday!
Nah it would probably be out tomorrow as opposed to next tuesday me thinks. They just want to be clever like everyone who decided to release stuff on Oct 10th last year, lol.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think we should ever wish for an early release of a Bethesda game. Of course they could have another 5 years to work on it and it would still be plagued with bugs and glitches.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I don't think we should ever wish for an early release of a Bethesda game. Of course they could have another 5 years to work on it and it would still be plagued with bugs and glitches.
Well i dunno, i think the Fallouts have been more buggy then the Elder Scrolls for some reason. Though the ES's do have their share of problems as well but i think that;s born more out of having the Contruction set. Not sure how well the console ports were, only ever played them on PC.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Nah it would probably be out tomorrow as opposed to next tuesday me thinks. They just want to be clever like everyone who decided to release stuff on Oct 10th last year, lol.
Theres no way of really knowing. But usually companies wait until the last minute to release stuff. Developers usually have release date windows, and like to work on it and fix all the problems they can before release.
I feel like they compromised here, maybe they set up 11-11-11 as an initial release date, but if they didn't feel ready by that date then they would have released the following tuesday or tuesday after that. They wouldn't finish it early and say "let's release it before 11-11-11" ya know?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Theres no way of really knowing. But usually companies wait until the last minute to release stuff. Developers usually have release date windows, and like to work on it and fix all the problems they can before release.
I feel like they compromised here, maybe they set up 11-11-11 as an initial release date, but if they didn't feel ready by that date then they would have released the following tuesday or tuesday after that. They wouldn't finish it early and say "let's release it before 11-11-11" ya know?
I don't think it really comes down to the wire like that for releasing games. If a game is going to be delayed it usually happens weeks prior to the scheduled release not mere days from what i've noticed.

I can't see it being something like:

- Well it's wednesday, the game comes out friday but we still have 4 days of testing to do! What are we going to do?

- Ah let's just release it the following tuesday.

That just wouldn't make sense. There is too much riding on things being shipped and produced and the like with no real window to do it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
I don't think it really comes down to the wire like that for releasing games. If a game is going to be delayed it usually happens weeks prior to the scheduled release not mere days from what i've noticed.

I can't see it being something like:

- Well it's wednesday, the game comes out friday but we still have 4 days of testing to do! What are we going to do?

- Ah let's just release it the following tuesday.

That just wouldn't make sense. There is too much riding on things being shipped and produced and the like with no real window to do it.
I don't think it comes down to the wire either. When I said they wait until the last minute. I din't mean that they would make a last minute decision not to ship a game.

What I'm saying is,

Back when they first started developing Skyrim they were probably shooting for a november release date. They of course didn't announce that. Later down the line in development they decided that they could probably finish it by mid November and decided 11-11-11 was a cool date to release it on.
And even later down the line they announced.
once they were comfortable with their progress, and found 11-11-11 to be a good possible date, they made a trailer and announced the release date.

Of course, if they got closer to that release date and didn't think they could make it there anymore, then it'd get delayed. It could be delayed anywhere from a few days to a few months.

Here's what I meant by "But usually companies wait until the last minute to release stuff. "

Developers want to ship the most polished game possible. But nearly every game has bugs and glitches.
Therefor developers work on games till the date of release and beyond. I can't recall any developers shooting for a release date, and then they say "Hey we finished early! Lets release the game a week or two early."

But I do recall plenty of developers being like "Well, we originally said this date. But... We're not comfortable releasing the game like this. Sorry guys. The games delayed a month or two."

I was very excited for Little Big Planet 2. It was scheduled for November of 2010, but was delayed until January 2011.
The release date was announced in July. The delay wasn't announced till late september. The game was delayed by 2 months, and was announced less than a month and a half before it's original release date.

So what i'm saying is, if 11-11-11 was the original window that they were shooting for, then they probably would have moved that window forward rather than backwards.

Just my thoughts
Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Working till 11. Popping over to the local GameSpot after work. Fuck yeah.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Damn it, my store isn't doing a midnight opening guess i'll have to be at their door when they open a 9 am tomorrow, lame.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm prolly going to the midnight launch tonight. I'm very excited. Glowing reviews so far. Every review makes the game sound better and better. One reviewer compared playing the game to swimming in the ocean and skydiving. Come on now.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 AM
GOTY ? Fucking right!!!

Awesome game, nothing else to say.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Yeah i'm about 7 hrs in and a lvl 8 and the only part of the main quest i've touched is the escape from Helgan which you have to do at the start! This game is crazy good though it does come up short in some spots.

My thoughts thus far:

The good

- The look and feel of the game is great. Combat is tighter then ever in this but still has its small problems.

- Dual wielding stuff is super fun and the favourites menu isa nice touch. It does take you out of the battle a bit to switch something but once you get good at it it only takes half a second to do and you're ready to go.

- The lvling system has been wonderfully refined. Gone is the needlessly complicated system of Stat (health, majika, stamina)/Attribute (Strength, Intellegence, etc)/Skill (Heavy Armor, Enchanting, etc) which while is not a bad system it was too tedeous.

We now have a system that eleminates the Attribute part and in stead you get perks that pertain to each specific skill. The really nice thing about these perks is that they are entirely specialization. What i mean is you don't need to take perks in every skill to get by. I've decided to pick 6 skills and only take their perks in an attempt to specialize myself and not get too spread out.

- The Perks themselves are nice. They are mix of WoW talent trees and Fallout's Perk system. That is there are certain paths you need to take to get a particular perk but beyond that path you are only restricted by your current lvl of the skill. So if you have a perk that requires say Block 40 your Block skill will need to be at least 40 to take it even if you have already opened the path to it. On the PC navigating the conselations that make up the perk trees can be bothersome.

The bad

- Mostly little nit picks so far, stuff you may have read in reviews already. Stuff like passer by dialog drowing out the dialog of the person you are actually talking to and things like ppl talking to you through floors.

- The horses fucking suck! I never got far into Oblivion when they were introduced so i can't gauge if they are better or worse then before but they are horrible currently. First off the first horse you can buy costs 1000 gold! Second, and i could be wrong, there is no way to send the horse away if you rid i somewhere and no way to call it say like in Red Dead Redemption. Third it will ACTIVLY go and attack shit when you are not riding it! At first i thought maybe the horses were invincable or something but alas no and so now i'm out a 1000 gold horse fuckers!
=====================

So far a great game though, about to play some more actually
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah, one other good thing! The Smithing & Tanning stuff for crafting is really cool as well. Just need to find a Smelting place, which is not the same as a Blacksmithing forge, so i can make these raw metals into ingots and finally use them
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
As to this, i'm not sure for how the kills go down in melee sneak but what you are seeing in that pic kis a slow mo kill like what is done in the Fallout games. Its a dramatic take down and i guess if you are sneaking (or perhaps take a specific perk in the sneak tree) to can do stealth kills perhaps.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Question for all:

If I absolutely despised the leveling/character progression system in Oblivion, will I enjoy this game at all?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 AM
@Vesaker

Yeah! I was wondering about that!
I tried sneaking up and killing a few people but it didn't end all that well for me. I ended up bludgeoning a guy to death, but then a necromancer conjured a rock demon thing and I got slaughtered LOL!

@Jolanar
I'm not sure :/
The leveling for this is totally different from Oblivion, but I'm not sure what works for you.
In Oblivion you leveled up by leveling up skills in your class. Like if you were a thief class, then you'd level up your character by leveling up sneak, pickpocket, ..etc.

In this, it doesn't matter what skill you level up. It sort of defines your class as you go. If you tend to use a lot of one handed weapons in one hand, and destruction spells in your other hand. Then you're going to level up one handed weapons and destruction spells quicker than any other weapon or spells. and that's going to level you up.
However, if one day you get tired of destruction spells and one handed weapons, and use a huge two handed axe instead, that's going to level you up as well.

When you level up you can choose whether to increase your Magicka, Stamina, or Health. And then you get a perk point. You can assign perk points to whatever skills you want to be better at. So say you love destruction spells, you can assign that perk point to the destruction spell skill branch.
The branches consist of multiple attributes that can be applied to that skill.

For example, theres parts of the branch that require less magicka to cast certain spells, certain spells do more damage, combining one spell with another will have a new effect, ... etc..

That's how the leveling works kinda. Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Question for all:

If I absolutely despised the leveling/character progression system in Oblivion, will I enjoy this game at all?
yes you will.b They've simplified it to a degree. Instead of just raising the skill # and your attributes but using the skill those attributes govern you simply get to choose to increase your health, majika or stamina by 10 at each lvl and then assign a Perk point to any of the skill tree's.

In morrorwind and oblivion it was all about raising your attributes (strength, intellegence, etc) tp meet the requirements for gear or spells and the like. In Skyrim its about using the perks to specialize the way you normally play. If you like hacking and slashing then only the skill that get used in that type of play will increase and those are the skill trees you will want to specialize in.

The lvling system is one of the greatly imporved things on the last 2 installments.

Edit: here is the discription of the lvling system for Skyrim from the wiki

Last edited by vesaker; 11-12-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
@Vesaker

Yeah! I was wondering about that!
I tried sneaking up and killing a few people but it didn't end all that well for me. I ended up bludgeoning a guy to death, but then a necromancer conjured a rock demon thing and I got slaughtered LOL!
LOL. yeah i was worried about these animations cause they get quite borring in Fallout but they are entertaining here. In fall out you're just watching a dead NPC ragdoll in slow mo from a gun shot while in this you at least get to see a cool sword combo of sorts and there are several different ones.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
LOL. yeah i was worried about these animations cause they get quite borring in Fallout but they are entertaining here. In fall out you're just watching a dead NPC ragdoll in slow mo from a gun shot while in this you at least get to see a cool sword combo of sorts and there are several different ones.
Yeah! and there seems like a bunch of different ones as well. I watched an NPC lift someone off the ground with a combo! She stabbed this guy in the stomach with two blades and his feet came off the ground then she let him fall to the ground! Awesome!
I've seen a few different combos with the short sword and the elven mace.

This game get's better and better!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 AM
i was hoping it would look better on the ps3. i'm playing as the kitty
Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I bought this on Friday, and just waiting for a good time this week to get fully invested into it. I would start playing tonight, but I got too many shows to watch tonight. Thankfully i'm off tomorrow, so that will be my one-on-one time with Skyrim.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Pretty great so far, love the way the character controls, love how he looks in 3rd person vs how he looked in Oblivion, the environments are awesome, especially the plains around Whiterun, def gives you an epic feel and scope. The horses do suck to ride, kind of a let down.

Little things still bug me, like water not splashing when you run through it, or when you enter into a pond or river, rocks not sparking when you slash against them with metal weapons, just small things like that that should have been included.

I like the new leveling up compared to Oblivion, but holy cripes does it still take SO much to level up. I wish they would have just made it like Fallout in this regard. Fallout definitely has the best leveling up system that Bethesda has created. For instance, you can unlock the two handed perk with 1 perk point, and then the next branch costs like 25 perk points, but you only get 1 perk point every time you level up. Takes forever at that rate!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
I like the new leveling up compared to Oblivion, but holy cripes does it still take SO much to level up. I wish they would have just made it like Fallout in this regard. Fallout definitely has the best leveling up system that Bethesda has created. For instance, you can unlock the two handed perk with 1 perk point, and then the next branch costs like 25 perk points, but you only get 1 perk point every time you level up. Takes forever at that rate!
Uh i think you might be confused about something, or i'm confused about what you've written. The #'s you are seeing in the skill branches are not the # of Perk points needed but the lvl you need to be of that particular skill before you can spend a point on that ability/bonus.

For example in the One Handed tree you get the base bonus (20% more one handed dmg) and then the next one up i believe is One handed 20. This means that if you have an available perk point that you need to have a One Handed skill of at least 20 before you can spend the point in that spot.

What you are saying is that you should need 20 more perk points to get it, which is not the case.

This and Fallout are very similar though, the only real difference is Fallout gives general xp for anything you do while in Skyrim you gain xp by lvling your skills and you do that by using them. If anything Skyrim is a system that allows you to specialize easier cause you are only going to improve how you play. In Fallout i was spending points in shit that i never used just to spend them cause you had to.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
So after the weekend i've gotten about 19hrs in and am currently lvl 15 or 16. Games been great so far and i still have yet to do any of the main quest yet, hell i haven't even explored most of the cities to see what other quests they have, lol.

Some things i've noticed:

- DO NOT buy horses. They are a waste. You can easily steal the same horse from the stable and only have to pay a 50 gold bounty when you go back to that particular town.

- Pick up any mats you can when ever you can. This is more something to do once you've bought a house and can store stuff though. Crafting in this game is so quick, easy and straight forward that even if you don't plan to smith or enchant or whatever that you might as well cause lvling skills is what lvl's your character.

- For Smiths pick up ANY old dwarf mats like gears and struts that you find as this is the only was to create Dwarven Metal Ingots, there is no ore to find like the other types of armor. Not ever piece can be melted down though

- Also if you are a Smith you are awesome. I'm 16 lvls in an the only armor i've worn since like lvl 5 is armor i've crafted in a forge. The perk tree splits into Light Armor on the left and Heavy Armor on the right so make sure you head in the right direction
================

Can't wait to get back at it tonight.

P.S. I hate Dwarven Centurions
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Uh i think you might be confused about something, or i'm confused about what you've written. The #'s you are seeing in the skill branches are not the # of Perk points needed but the lvl you need to be of that particular skill before you can spend a point on that ability/bonus.

For example in the One Handed tree you get the base bonus (20% more one handed dmg) and then the next one up i believe is One handed 20. This means that if you have an available perk point that you need to have a One Handed skill of at least 20 before you can spend the point in that spot.

What you are saying is that you should need 20 more perk points to get it, which is not the case.

This and Fallout are very similar though, the only real difference is Fallout gives general xp for anything you do while in Skyrim you gain xp by lvling your skills and you do that by using them. If anything Skyrim is a system that allows you to specialize easier cause you are only going to improve how you play. In Fallout i was spending points in shit that i never used just to spend them cause you had to.

AHHHH Now that makes sense! I thought it was the other way around, and that just made no sense to me. I got ya now. Why does it say in the tutorial when you first pull it up that you can save the perk points to spend it on something then? That's what threw me for a ride.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Do you know a quick way to make some money besides selling items? I want to buy that place in Whiterun so I can store some of my good items, but I need some more cash flow!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
ah man Skyrim is freezing often on PS3