#1  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Is Sam Worthington the next Kevin Costner?

He has been compared to Kevin Costner as i heard from some people.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM
That's not very nice. What's Costner ever done to you?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
LOL in all fairness Worthington did a pretty capable job in The Debt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't see the comparison. Sam Worthington doesn't have any charisma once so ever, he is very boring to watch. Kevin Costner definitely has a coolness an charm about him even if a lot of his movies do suck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Sam Worthington bores me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
No doubt you people judge his abilities on rubbish like clash of the titans, avatar and terminator salvation instead of a movie where he's required to act; unfortunately they happen to be small australian movies and you probably won't watch them. He is charismatic, unfortunately he hasn't chosen any good movies to be a part of since his careers taken off and he hasn't had to play any actual characters. No doubt if he was american no one would give a flying fuck because there are so many untalented uncharacteristic american action stars out there who can't act well when even the 'right role' comes their way.

Would like to hear what people think of his actual acting abilities i.e. somersault, dirty deeds or getting square.

Last edited by overwatch; 11-09-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
unfortunately he hasn't chosen any good movies to be a part of since his careers taken off

I'd recommend The Debt, if you haven't seen it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't think Costner is a bad actor, but he was usually outshined by the other actors in his movies. I haven't seen enough of Sam Worthington's movies, but can anybody tell me if that's the case with him.

This reminds me of something funny though. Last year there was a video with actors talking about their favorite performances from the past decade.

Guess who Sam Worthington picked?

Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor. I'm assuming he was talking about the first one, which wasn't even a film from the 2000's. That made me laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I don't see the comparison. I think Costner has an understanding of filmmaking which not only makes him a good actor, but a great director. I have yet to see much from Worthington which leads me to believe he's anything but a pretty face who lucked out with Avatar and other movies.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Costner is a one-note actor...a one-trick pony if you will. He's not that great of an actor.

Worthington is a one-note actor...a one-trick pony if you will. He's not that great of an actor.


By that rationale, I would say, yes, Worthington is the next Costner.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
No doubt you people judge his abilities on rubbish like clash of the titans, avatar and terminator salvation instead of a movie where he's required to act; unfortunately they happen to be small australian movies and you probably won't watch them. He is charismatic, unfortunately he hasn't chosen any good movies to be a part of since his careers taken off and he hasn't had to play any actual characters. No doubt if he was american no one would give a flying fuck because there are so many untalented uncharacteristic american action stars out there who can't act well when even the 'right role' comes their way.

Would like to hear what people think of his actual acting abilities i.e. somersault, dirty deeds or getting square.
Avatar, Clash of the Titans, and Terminator: Salvation being bigger movies means that he's not "required to act". I don't buy that. I give a flying fuck about good acting, be the actor Australian, American, or whatever nationality.

And you're actually saying that people on this board wouldn't watch smaller, independent movies?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM
He's required to act, but as horrible blockbuster movies he hasn't been given a good role or character for his skills.
We don't say Daniel Craig is a bad actor because of his performance in Cowboys and Aliens, Brad Pitt because of Troy or even Christian Bale as a very lackluster John Connor in Terminator Salvation (i thought worthington was better than bale, imagine that), because these people have other performances where we can see they have talent as does worthington, it just so happens no-one who judges him has seen his other movies movies.

I'm saying as smaller Australian movies, people are just not going to have either seen them already, or have easy access to them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
^Personally I think Craig is an overrated actor and Pitt is an extremely overrated actor, Pitt is miscast in many of his films, as for 'Troy' he looked the part, sort of, but his ability as an actor let him down hugely.

I dislike Bale down to his attitude and something about his looks, he just looks a nasty piece of work.

Costner is an odd entity in that he sometimes gives fantastic performances eg. 'Untouchables' and 'Dances With Wolves' but then goes and makes a tonne of crapola. The thing with Kev is his looks, he has an odd look, not a really handsome chap but not ugly, he can play good guys and bad guys well (check '3000 Miles to Graceland') and has that look in his eye which does allot of acting for him, the camera likes him in an odd way, his problem being he doesn't fit in today's age of film, he's an old style kinda guy.

Worthington, if you ask me, doesn't really show much acting skill plus he looks like Joe Bloggs from the building site down the road, someone from casting has simply run out of ideas so they grabbed this bloke off the street to act in their film haha. Worthington has absolutely no screen presence atall!! he's like an extra in the background that's gotten lost, even his name is kinda dull!

Last edited by Hubbs; 11-10-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I can see it. Costner and Worthington are both wooden actors with no range, who happen to diminish every film they work on, rather than elevate the material.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
NO, despite the opinion of Costner from people on here, the man was loved for many years during the late 80's and early 90's by women. Worthington does not and will not get the same love.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
NO, despite the opinion of Costner from people on here, the man was loved for many years during the late 80's and early 90's by women. Worthington does not and will not get the same love.
Worthington probably won't reach the heights that Costner did, but they're on the same level as far as acting talent. As far as Costner's appeal to women goes, it seems like the heartthrob standards are changing. These days women are more attracted to quirky oddballs who happen to have talent like Johnny Depp. Androgyny is becoming more popular along with trends like the Metrosexual thing, the classic rugged gentlemen persona doesn't go as far as it used to. Worthington is out of luck, he can't coast on his looks like Costner did. However if he loses some weight, grows out his hair and throws on some skinny jeans he might have a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Who are these 'some people'?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
NO, despite the opinion of Costner from people on here, the man was loved for many years during the late 80's and early 90's by women. Worthington does not and will not get the same love.

Well you might be mistaken by that comment

Geez Sam is hot to look at plus he has a sexy body all women could drool over

Oh and another thing he is all Aussie




I remember him in the movie called the Rogue and his acting in this movi was impressive
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPanFan View Post
He has been compared to Kevin Costner as i heard from some people.
No... Costner did have a good career from about 1985-1993. He was good as Mr. Brooks. It sort of fit his personality though.

Sam Worthington.. He is only in Hollywood for looks I'm guessing. He's bland.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
He's required to act, but as horrible blockbuster movies he hasn't been given a good role or character for his skills.
We don't say Daniel Craig is a bad actor because of his performance in Cowboys and Aliens, Brad Pitt because of Troy or even Christian Bale as a very lackluster John Connor in Terminator Salvation (i thought worthington was better than bale, imagine that), because these people have other performances where we can see they have talent as does worthington, it just so happens no-one who judges him has seen his other movies movies.

I'm saying as smaller Australian movies, people are just not going to have either seen them already, or have easy access to them.
I'm pretty sure Bale took Terminator for the money. We all know what went down and we know his bad performance.... When you think about what went down at that time it's not surprising that his performance is so bad.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well you might be mistaken by that comment

Geez Sam is hot to look at plus he has a sexy body all women could drool over

Oh and another thing he is all Aussie




I remember him in the movie called the Rogue and his acting in this movi was impressive
Hollywood is lacking good actors and I'll take them no matter what they look like. I give credit to Matthew Mac when he gives good performances and does good movies like Frailty and The Lincoln Lawyer. I don't care about looks all that much. I care about ability and Rogue is the best acting I've seen from Sam that was decent and not anything more.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Well l have to agree that America is lacking in good male actors who can rally act in there roles that they are given
it is true that a actor does not have to be goodlooking

There is another aussie actor who has made it big in america only recently his name is Chris hainsworth and l can tell yuo that he is not the best looking guy but he can act as he has done well in the movie called Thor
He used to star in a australian series called Hme And Away but decided to try and make it big in America
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
^It's Chris Hemsworth and he is widely considered to be quite the looker.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHaiMark View Post
^It's Chris Hemsworth and he is widely considered to be quite the looker.
Ha ha. What a story, Mark!


(Sorry...sorry...)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Costner gives great performanes in many of his movie. JFK, A Perfect World and The Upside of Anger particularly. The man has a certain watchability to him and even if he isn't a chameleon he plays most of his parts with emotion and sincerity.

So I'm going to have to say that deosn't gel.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
I like Sam Worthington, but he's no Kevin Costner. He has a long ways to go to get on his level.

Personally, I thought Worthington was excellent in Terminator Salvation. He's very good in The Debt too. And his upcoming movie Man on a Ledge looks quite good. So maybe he'll get there. Or not. I still like him. He's just no Costner.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Well ln my opinion it depends on the role a person gets and how they pretray it
I have seen kevin Costner in a couple of fims and he was abit hopeless but then he has got a few which he did well in

It is the same for Sam Worthington

If you pick carefully you could pick a good scipt
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I hate his hair.

I hate his face.

I hate his shirt.

I hate everything about him.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Why does everybody need to be compared to someone else? Sam Worthington is the new, old, and future Sam Worthington.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I love sam Worthingtons hair ,face and clothnig

Would prefer him without clothes too grins
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Sam Worthington is one of the worst actors who gets major film roles in the history of cinema. The guy expresses nearly no emotions at all....his face is practically expressionless throughout the movie. His voice drones like he is reciting the dictionary. How does he still get major film roles?!?! He has NO presence/charisma either. I actually think he is a worse actor than Keanu Reeves.

If the guy could do martial arts, perhaps I could watch him in a few movies.

Watch the movie Last Night...you can't possibly tell me this guy is an average or above average actor. How about Avatar? HAHAH! How did the critics completely ignore his terrible performance in virtually every scene?!?!?! It's one of the great mysteries...that and who really killed JFK.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump