Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Who thinks The Thing from Another World was a poor adaptation of the story?

The 1951 original Thing movie, it wasn't even an adaptation of the novella "Who Goes There" by John Campbell as it was just it's own film.

The monster wasn't even the shapeshifter, it was just a dumbed down killer carrot vampire alien Frankenstein wannabe because they didn't have the technology in the 50's to make it a shapeshifter.

Now Carpenter's version remains THE definitive faithful adaptation.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Your right, this movie does work on it's own as it' own movie and not a proper adaptation
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I haven't read the book, I've been meaning to buy it for years. I hear the Carpenter spin on the story is much more faithful to Campbell's tale.

But the original is an absolute classic, no doubt about it. I think it's better than Dracula and the Mummy.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 AM
It was way too talky for its own good. I've got a feeling they did that on purpose. They didn't have a good 'monster' to begin with, so they thought to substitute it and have it show up for about 4 minutes of the movie total.

In that sense, it isn't a good adaptation of it at all. Yo, I didn't read the story though.

Still, Carpenter's version is leaps and bounds more effective anyway.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
I haven't read the book, I've been meaning to buy it for years. I hear the Carpenter spin on the story is much more faithful to Campbell's tale.

But the original is an absolute classic, no doubt about it. I think it's better than Dracula and the Mummy.
This.