Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Own it on dvd AND Blu ray

anyone else notice this? in commercials? It makes me sick... hollywood puts out these TV adds for their crappy product and they don't tell you to just buy the DVD they tell you to 'own the DVD & Blu Ray'. Keyword AND... as in, in addition to. Now I'm sure there are collectors (hoarders) who are just fine with this... but it's always annoyed me even back when they were saying 'own it on Video & DVD' Like it's not enough for anyone to just buy it on one format they need both. Fuck off.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Well now with these double-packs of DVD/Blu-Ray in one - you have NO CHOICE but to own it on both formats. Which I'm not a huge fan of, honestly.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't care if they said "DVD OR Blu-Ray." I don't buy Blu-Rays too often as I prefer DVDs and have a much bigger collection than my Blu-Rays so I'm not gonna go, "Well damn, I already own my great DVD copy of Army of Darkness, what's that you say? I have to own it on Blu-Ray too? Here's my money!"
Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Agree jaw2929

If they said OR this rant would not be. Its mostly for new releases over the years that get the TV adds... If they were showing Army of Darkness adds I might not complain as much lol
Old 12-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I hate it when they put stickers on DVDs that are essentially saying "Hey, don't buy this! Get it on Blu Ray instead!"
Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I hate it when they put stickers on DVDs that are essentially saying "Hey, don't buy this! Get it on Blu Ray instead!"
OH I hate that too. Or the paper slide in coupon $2 bucks off if you now buy the blu ray.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM
You will laugh at me and say I am making this up, but why they say AND and not OR is all about liberal bullshit personal feelings. There was a study done that people that are given an either / or choice will feel bad that they had to make a choice between two choices. As if somehow you will feel bad for not choosing the other choice or that other choice will feel bad and left out. Or there is something wrong with you for choosing one over the other.

In this case, they say AND because they do not want you to feel bad that if you have one type of player over the other. Like you are less of a person if you do not own blu ray over dvd. This started back in the beta vhs days. Beta people were made to feel bad for choosing beta over vhs.

It is all PC crap and that is why they say AND and not OR. Believe it or not!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM
EDITED.

Last edited by jaw2929; 12-30-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Erroneous, I would love to disagree and think that it's more of a marketing decision, that it's all about charging you more money, but the truth is that maybe there is that psychological factor of the customer wanting to belong in a certain group; and you may be right too, buying both formats guarantees you passage into the group that owns the movie, regardless of the format. Like, whatever movie player the party has, you'll be prepared.

The other thing that annoys me is when they include the digital copy as well. Not to the same extent as the others, but I just wanted to include that in this discussion as well. It's just another format to have this movie in, as if having it on DVD and Blu-Ray isn't enough; we need to have it on EVERYTHING? No, dude...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Erroneous, I would love to disagree and think that it's more of a marketing decision, that it's all about charging you more money, but the truth is that maybe there is that psychological factor of the customer wanting to belong in a certain group; and you may be right too, buying both formats guarantees you passage into the group that owns the movie, regardless of the format. Like, whatever movie player the party has, you'll be prepared.

The other thing that annoys me is when they include the digital copy as well. Not to the same extent as the others, but I just wanted to include that in this discussion as well. It's just another format to have this movie in, as if having it on DVD and Blu-Ray isn't enough; we need to have it on EVERYTHING? No, dude...
For ther record, it is not my opinion. It is based on an article I read. I just applied it to fit this discussion.

I like digital copies. I have not used the feature yet, but it will make having movies on my laptop easier when I travel. Also avoid having to re buy movies all the time. Like when my kids mess up Shrek for the 5th time. Dammit!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Regardless, it was a very good point to make.

...and sorry to hear about your kid troubles
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't mind the DVD/Blu-ray combos because I can watch them at work on my laptop also.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM
If I'm paying a normal price for a new release Blu-Ray and it comes with a copy of the dvd, I love it. I'll usually hook my Dad or another family member up and sell them the disc for $5. Win, win. Granted they don't get the cover art with it but they don't care, brand new movie for $5, you can't beat that.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Well all my friends will testify that when it came to getting anything from me this holiday, the free DVDs that came with my Blus saved Christmas.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 PM
i actually prefer the bluray/dvd combo. I like having the extra dvd copy if the bluray breaks down. I can still watch the movie with the dvd copy
Old 01-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Until it no longer becomes an option, I will continue to only buy 2 kinds of movies on Blu-ray:

1) my absolute favorite movies
2) movies that, in their DVD incarnation, were split over 2 discs (alas, "Woodstock," "Reds," and the extended versions of the "LOTR" movies all still remain bisected even on Blu-ray )

(... or BOTH of the above in the case of "The Godfather, Part II" and "Apocalypse Now." )

So far I've had to purchase 5 titles on Blu-ray purely because they weren't made available in the 'DVD only' format (all of which were released on video within the last 9 months): "The Illusionist" (2010), "Another Year," "Barney's Version," "The Tree of Life," and "Restless." I'm sure there will be more ("Shame" also looks to be following suit), but until the day DVD becomes completely defunct, let's keep those titles to a minimum, please.