3. Bad Teacher- $19 million
4. Super 8- $12.5 million
5. Mr. Popper's Penguins- $9.5 million
6. X-Men: First Class- $5.5 million
7. The Hangover Part II- $5 million
8. Bridesmaids- $5 million
9. Kung Fu Panda 2- $4.5 million
10. Midnight in Paris- $3.5 million
I think you are low on Cars 2, perhaps significantly. The first film has remained incredibly popular, sold a ton of DVDs, and 10 billion dollars worth of merchandise since the first film came out. I could see it opening anywhere from 80 up to 100 million. But I've been wrong before.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't see how Green Lantern can clear 20 mill.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Looks like I was wrong about Cars 2. It still did better than the first film, but the ridiculous merchandising sales didn't necessarily reflect the box office take. It still did well and it should have pretty good legs; I don't see Winnie the Pooh taking away too much of its audience, particularly opposite Deathly Hallows.

As for next weekend?

1. Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 95 million (170 million 5 day)
2. Cars 2 - 38 million
3. Larry Crowne - 20 million
4. Bad Teacher - 16 million
5. Super 8 - 9 million
6. Green Lantern - 7 million
7. Monte Carlo - 7 million
8. Mr. Popper's Penguins - 6.5 million
9. X-Men: First Class - 4 million
10. Midnight in Paris - 3.8 million

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 06-28-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
wow this thread died down!

1. Contagion - $15 Million
2. Warrior - $11.5 Million
3. The Help - $8 Million
4. The Debt - $5 Million
5. Shark Night - $4.5 Million
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I've been out of the loop on predictions for a while, and have no plans to get back to the weekly predictions any time soon (it's really not that fun to predict whether The Three Musketeers in its first weekend will top Footloose in its second). However, I feel like throwing out some longer term predictions for some of the bigger films coming out in the next two months.

Domestic Totals:

Puss in Boots- $160 million
Tower Heist- $100 million
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas- $50 million
Immortals- $50 million
Jack and Jill- $90 million
J. Edgar- $50 million
Happy Feet Two- $175 million
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part One)- $310 million
The Descendants- $120 million
Hugo- $90 million
The Muppets- $180 million
Arthur Christmas- $120 million
The Artist- $70 million
New Year's Eve- $90 million
The Sitter- $40 million
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy- $50 million
Young Adult- $50 million
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked- $215 million
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $210 million
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- $175 million
The Adventures of Tintin- $200 million
The Darkest Hour- $40 million
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $200 million
War Horse- $215 million
We Bought a Zoo- $90 million
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- $150 million
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Predictions for the weekend of October 28

1. Puss in Boots - 50 million
2. Paranormal Activity 3 - 17 million
3. In Time - 15 million
4. The Rum Diary - 12 million
5. Real Steel - 8 million
6. Footloose - 6 million
7. The Ides of March - 3.5 million
8. The Three Musketeers - 3 million
9. Dolphin Tale - 2 million
10. Moneyball - 2 million

Opening in 200 theatres Anonymous will likely hit $350,000 for the weekend.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I've been out of the loop on predictions for a while, and have no plans to get back to the weekly predictions any time soon (it's really not that fun to predict whether The Three Musketeers in its first weekend will top Footloose in its second). However, I feel like throwing out some longer term predictions for some of the bigger films coming out in the next two months.

Domestic Totals:

Puss in Boots- $160 million
Tower Heist- $100 million
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas- $50 million
Immortals- $50 million
Jack and Jill- $90 million
J. Edgar- $50 million
Happy Feet Two- $175 million
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part One)- $310 million
The Descendants- $120 million
Hugo- $90 million
The Muppets- $180 million
Arthur Christmas- $120 million
The Artist- $70 million
New Year's Eve- $90 million
The Sitter- $40 million
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy- $50 million
Young Adult- $50 million
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked- $215 million
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $210 million
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- $175 million
The Adventures of Tintin- $200 million
The Darkest Hour- $40 million
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $200 million
War Horse- $215 million
We Bought a Zoo- $90 million
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- $150 million
For the most part I think you are pretty spot on, with a few exceptions noted below:

The Descendants - I'll be surprised if this can top Up in the Air, which was at $83 million. I think $75 is more accurate for this one. I'd love it to surprise me, though.
The Artist - I think you are way overreaching on this one. I just can't imagine the mainstream accepting a silent film, even if it is a big Oscar player. $20 million tops.

I think both Jack and Jill & New Year's Eve will top $100 million. I also think Sherlock 2 may get closer to $300 million than you are predicting.

This is going to be a very big November/December, isn't it? Wow.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
The Descendants - I'll be surprised if this can top Up in the Air, which was at $83 million. I think $75 is more accurate for this one. I'd love it to surprise me, though.
My thinking was that I think it's funnier and more emotionally involving for mainstream audiences than Up in the Air. Up in the Air was in my top 10 of the decade, but I remember some people finding the ending emotionally cold. I think The Descendants could break out. Sideways made $71 million and it was less accessible and didn't have George Clooney starring in it. Clooney isn't an automatic draw, but he is a bigger draw than Paul Giamatti.

Quote:
The Artist - I think you are way overreaching on this one. I just can't imagine the mainstream accepting a silent film, even if it is a big Oscar player. $20 million tops.
WOM on this movie will be insane. Adult audiences are going to eat it up and if they expand it right around Christmas time, it could do very well. People didn't expect The King's Speech to make $135 million and while this isn't going to be as initially appealing as that was to some people, once word spreads, The Artist could become a hit. Its awards buzz will certainly help too.

Quote:
I think both Jack and Jill & New Year's Eve will top $100 million. I also think Sherlock 2 may get closer to $300 million than you are predicting.
The reason I am low-balling New Year's Eve is because it has a release date that generally leads to a soft opening weekend. It also doesn't have the advantage that Valentine's Day had of actually opening on the holiday that its plot revolves around. Valentine's Day only made $110 million, so with those things holding NYE back, $90 million seems about right. It could go higher though.

Jack and Jill could very well do the typical Sandler $100-120 million. However, that movie seems to have received a ton of backlash and gets pretty much zero laughs any time I see it with an audience (the trailers for Just Go With It and Grown Ups always had the audience roaring). I think it'll still be pretty big, and being released close to Thanksgiving will give it a boost, but I think it'll fall just shy of $100 million.

My hesitation with Sherlock is that the sequel doesn't look all that great. The first movie was popular, but I don't remember people going absolutely crazy for it. It had good holiday legs and was a good alternative when Avatar was constantly selling out, but nothing about its reception or box-office results screamed to me that its sequel would do significantly better. Also, whenever I see the trailers in theatres, there is never any reaction. The recycled jokes don't work. And it also has a lot more competition than the first one had. Tintin, Mission Impossible, War Horse, Dragon Tattoo. Those are all going to steal a bit of its audience.

Quote:
This is going to be a very big November/December, isn't it? Wow.
It should be huge. Last year was pretty piss poor with regard to box-office. The only thing is that there are so many releases, that I can see some things underperforming. I think Dragon Tattoo is the one to watch out for though. It's the only film strictly for adults besides the films that are expanding from limited release. People seem to be underestimating it, but this is based on a wildly popular book and the marketing has been brilliant. As long as it's good, it should break out.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-26-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe it is time to get back into the groove of predictions. It's always a good break from Sunday afternoon studying...

Predictions for the Weekend of November 4-6

1. Tower Heist- $30 million
2. Puss in Boots- $23 million
3. A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas- $16 million
4. Paranormal Activity 3- $8 million
5. In Time- $6.5 million
6. Footloose- $3.5 million
7. Real Steel- $3.25 million
8. The Rum Diary- $2.5 million
9. The Ides of March- $2 million
10. The Three Musketeers- $1.75 million
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Maybe it is time to get back into the groove of predictions. It's always a good break from Sunday afternoon studying...

Predictions for the Weekend of November 4-6

1. Tower Heist- $30 million
2. Puss in Boots- $23 million
3. A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas- $16 million
4. Paranormal Activity 3- $8 million
5. In Time- $6.5 million
6. Footloose- $3.5 million
7. Real Steel- $3.25 million
8. The Rum Diary- $2.5 million
9. The Ides of March- $2 million
10. The Three Musketeers- $1.75 million
I think Tower Heist may open slightly higher than that and Puss may have a better hold, but otherwise this looks pretty solid to me.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
For anyone interested, JOBLO.COM (the main site) is now posting weekly BOX-OFFICE PREDICTIONS on its main site, so if you wanna post your PREDICTIONS in there, a lot more people will see it. Just an FYI.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/box-...ictions-110411
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Jo. I'll definitely be checking it out. I'll still post my predictions here though, for anyone who wants to discuss them on the forums.

Predictions for the Weekend of November 11-13

1. Puss in Boots- $28 million
2. Jack and Jill- $26 million
3. Immortals- $18 million
4. Tower Heist- $15 million
5. J. Edgar- $13 million
6. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas- $8 million
7. In Time- $4.75 million
8. Paranormal Activity 3- $4 million
9. Footloose- $3.5 million
10. Real Steel- $2.75 million

Puss in Boots could potentially take the top spot again. I'm expecting Jack and Jill to slightly underwhelm. I'm not really sure what Immortals will do. Tower Heist should have a fairly small drop. J. Edgar should have a decent PTA in approximately 2000 theatres. Low-teens seems about right.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of November 18-20

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1- $142 million
2. Happy Feet Two- $42 million
3. Puss in Boots- $18 million
4. Jack and Jill- $14 million
5. Immortals- $13 million
6. Tower Heist- $8 million
7. J. Edgar- $7 million
8. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas- $3 million
9. In Time- $2.5 million
10. The Descendants- $2 million

It's no surprise as to what will take the #1 spot. It could make a bit more or a bit less than I am predicting, but it should be in that ballpark. Happy Feet is a bit of a question mark for me. The last one came out 5 years ago and this summer Kung Fu Panda 2 underwhelmed. I say it opens to around the same amount as the first one, but it could go higher or lower. Puss in Boots should drop a little harder with the strong incoming competition, but it should have a decent hold. Jack and Jill should fall just under 50%. Immortals should take a pretty big hit. The one to watch out for, however, is The Descendants. It is opening in 27 theatres, and with a decent sized PTA (which is likely) it could come in at around $2 million or just short of it.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Predictions for the 3-day Weekend of November 25-27

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1- $42 million
2. The Muppets- $35 million
3. Arthur Christmas- $18 million
4. Happy Feet Two- $13 million
5. Hugo- $8 million
6. Jack and Jill- $7 million
7. The Descendants- $6.5 million
8. Immortals- $6 million
9. Puss in Boots- $5.5 million
10. Tower Heist- $5 million

Predictions for the 5-day Thanksgiving Weekend of November 23-27

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1- $65 million
2. The Muppets - $52 million
3. Arthur Christmas- $26 million
4. Happy Feet Two- $18 million
5. Hugo- $12 million
6. Jack and Jill- $11 million
7. The Descendants- $8.5 million
8. Immortals- $8 million
9. Puss in Boots- $7 million
10. Tower Heist- $6.75 million
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of December 2-4

1. The Muppets- $16 million
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1- $15 million
3. Hugo- $9 million
4. The Descendants- $8 million
5. Arthur Christmas- $7 million
6. Happy Feet Two- $6 million
7. Jack and Jill- $5 million
8. Immortals- $4.5 million
9. Puss in Boots- $3.75 million
10. Tower Heist- $3.5 million

I'll update numbers for Hugo and The Descendants once I get theatre counts (it is my understanding they are both expanding), but everything should be dropping around 50% (except Twilight, which will drop harder).
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Now here is a man who is ahead of the curve! I think the Muppets will have better staying power. I know many people near me did not have time to go this weekend. I imagine many others are in the same boat.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm tempted to boost my prediction for The Muppets, but the weekend after Thanksgiving generally isn't very kind to movies, and is especially unkind to family movies. Still though, maybe its WOM will be strong enough that it won't become a part of that general pattern.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
You are prob going to be right. But hey, shit happens
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
You were right about the Muppets. Good job. I am surprised people are not embrassing them more.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Predictions for the weekend of December 9

1. New Year's Eve - 42 million
2. The Sitter - 14 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1 - 7.8 million
4. The Muppets - 7 million
5. Hugo - 5 million
6. The Descendants - 4.5 million
7. Arthur Christmas - 4 Million
8. Happy Feet Two - 3.5 million
9. Jack and Jill - 3 million
10. Immortals - 2 million

Opening in limited release, I expect both Young Adult and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy to do quite well. Neither are in enough theaters to crack the top ten.

New Year's Eve is a bit of a question mark. Valentine's Day opened to over 50 million last year, but that holiday is more romantic and leans more to film going. With the unnecessarily star studded cast, though, there's no doubt in my mind that NYE will at least be a decent hit.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of December 9-11

1. New Year's Eve- $32 million
2. The Sitter- $12 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1- $8 million
4. The Muppets- $7.5 million
5. Hugo- $6 million
6. The Descendants- $5.5 million
7. Arthur Christmas- $5 million
8. Happy Feet Two- $3.5 million
9. Jack and Jill- $3 million
10. Immortals- $2.5 million

The last weekend before we (hopefully) get a big boost in numbers.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-05-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM
It seems as if a lot of things have been under-performing this season, and that some of the platforming releases have yet to pick up.

I wonder if Sherlock 2 will actually open big or be another disappointment.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of December 16-18

1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $50 million
2. Alvin and the Chipmunks- $36 million
3. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol- $12 million
4. Young Adult- $7 million
5. New Year's Eve- $6.5 million
6. The Sitter- $5 million
6. The Muppets- $4.75 million
7. Arthur Christmas- $4.5 million
8. Hugo- $4.25 million
9. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1- $4 million
10. The Descendants- $3.75 million

On top of there being a box-office slump recently, this weekend usually serves up pretty mediocre numbers, since most people are waiting until Christmas to catch a flick. The predictions I've seen seem to be way high-balling Sherlock at like $70-80 million. No way that happens. $50 million seems about right, and then it'll make another $50 million (or close to it) next weekend. I'm also expecting that Alvin may under perform as well. It'll still make a killing, but I don't think it'll do as well as the other two. Ghost Protocol is opening in 425 IMAX theatres, so it should have a pretty high PTA that should lead to a double digit weekend. People are also completely ignoring Young Adult in their predictions. 1000 theatres with a PTA of around $7000 seems about right.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Next week is going to be unpredictable and likely something is going to end up underperforming.

Sherlock opened to 40, which could mean people really don't care, or it could simply end up displaying decent legs throughout the rest of the year.

The real question is, though, Mission Impossible vs. Tintin vs. Dragon Tattoo. All 3 have solid reviews.

Both Dragon Tattoo and Mission Impossible are beginning with showtimes on Tuesday evening as opposed to their originally announced Wednesday openings. Tintin will have some midnights on Tuesday and open wide Wednesday. At this point I honestly have no idea which will do better and if any will suffer. MI4 has done crackerjack in its IMAX pre-release and that could translate to big wide numbers. It could also cool off a little bit. I think it will end up somewhere around the $180 million of the first film.

Dragon Tattoo has the R rating to deal with but the books are enormously popular and we have come to learn that a film for adults can be solid counter-programming. I can't even begin to predict how much it will make.

Tintin is not nearly as popular in the US as he is overseas, and MI4 will make for stiff competition for those looking for an action film. However Tintin will likely play well to families and Spielberg is one of the most recognizable directors there is. It could easily end up the biggest of them all... or not.

I can't wait to see how this plays out. Anyone else have any predictions?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I'll have some predictions up tonight.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm sticking with the 3 day since there are so many combos of long weekends and so many movies opening on different days

1. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol- $35 million
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $24 million
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $22 million
4. Alvin and the Chipmunks- $16 million
5. The Adventures of Tintin- $14 million
6. We Bought a Zoo- $13 million
7. War Horse- $8 million
8. New Year's Eve- $4 million
9. The Sitter- $3.5 million
10. The Darkest Hour- $3 million

Keep in mind Christmas Eve falls on Saturday, which is a notoriously bad day for box office. Monday should make up for it.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-22-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of December 30-January 1

1. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- $34 million
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $24 million
3. War Horse- $20.25 million
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $16.5 million
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked- $15.75 million
6. We Bought a Zoo- $15 million
7. The Adventures of Tintin- $12.5 million
8. New Year's Eve- $5.5 million
9. The Darkest Hour- $5 million
10. The Muppets- $3 million

Movies could jump anywhere from 15-50% from last weekend, or over 150% in the case of War Horse. This will hopefully make up for the rather bleh numbers we saw last weekend.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-28-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Predictions for the Weekend of January 6-8

1. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- $18 million
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $13 million
3. War Horse- $12 million
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $11.5 million
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked- $11 million
6. The Devil Inside- $10 million
7. We Bought a Zoo- $8.5 million
8. The Adventures of Tintin- $7.5 million
9. The Descendants- $2.5 million
10. The Darkest Hour- $2 million

The only new opener is The Devil Inside. It could make high teens, but with an R rating and plenty of other options, I don't see it breaking out.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Predictions for the Weekend of January 6-8

1. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- $18 million
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- $13 million
3. War Horse- $12 million
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- $11.5 million
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked- $11 million
6. The Devil Inside- $10 million
7. We Bought a Zoo- $8.5 million
8. The Adventures of Tintin- $7.5 million
9. The Descendants- $2.5 million
10. The Darkest Hour- $2 million

The only new opener is The Devil Inside. It could make high teens, but with an R rating and plenty of other options, I don't see it breaking out.
I feel that 3-5 are too high especially with school starting up again. At most The Devil Inside has the chance of hitting the top 3 if audiences reacting well to it on friday.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Just basing these on 2005 drops.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM
If DI was in more theaters i would give it 20 mil for the weekend but it's only in 2000 theaters so 15 mil should be possible and for a micro budget film such as it is ( it looks like it is ), that will be excellent.

Last Exorcism made about 20 mil in 2800 theaters opening weekend and i see the same crowd flocking to this, so 15 mil seems about right
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Looks like Devil Inside will exceed expectations and break 20 mil, that's quite impressive but not surprising. Considering the negative reaction, next weekend's drop will be significant but it should still snatch 40-45 mil overall, you know there is a sequel coming. The Devil Outside ?

Score another one for the shoestring budget horror movie contingent, this one only cost around 1 mil.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Uh, yeah, just read that it made 15 mil on Friday alone, there goes my prediction, so now it's projected to make 30 mil for the weekend, now that's insane, that marketing paid off.

Forget 45 mil now, it's probably closer to 60 mil overall even with bad word of lips
Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
WOW What happened to this thread?

Some site is predicting this

The Vow $31.4
Safe House $28.1
Star Wars Episode 1 $24.5
Journey 2 $18

WOW! That's a lot of people going to the movies in Feb.

The Vow is a chick flick before V Day, so I can see this happening.
Safe House is not doing anywhere near $28. For the most part, Denzel opens in the low to mid 20's. I am guessing low $20's. I have little idea what the hell this movie is about. Terrible movie or just promos. Ryan is not a draw.
Star Wars in 3D I hope it bombs with well under $20.
Journey 2 It will prob do that $18, but it looks like a sad movie. Looks like to crowded a field for that much to me. $13
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
1.The Vow $41,700,000
2.Safe House $39,300,000
3.Journey 2 $27,550,000
4.The Phantom Menace 3D $23,000,000

Shows what the fuck I know. I guess Ryan R is a draw. It could not have been Denzel or the movie itself.

Chicks rule where Men take them outside of May-Aug

The Rock and CGI draw really well.

Happy to see Star Wars was the only movie not to beat the expectations. Fuck you George!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I think The Avengers will open with around $160 million. Could go a bit higher or lower.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-30-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Avengers will open at exactly $174,078,424 a new record.

Yep...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
a new record.

Yep...
"Yeah, I can fly."

(Numbers were low but I smelled the record!)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Next Weekend

1. The Avengers- $95 million
2. Dark Shadows- $35 million

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-07-2012 at 07:13 PM..