Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Rooney Mara slams her Past Work

Mara told EW the 2010 remake was a role she didn't really want.

Quote:
"And then I went in [to audition] and I was like, *beep* I definitely got that," she says.
Later in the interview, she details what happened after the film.

Quote:
"I didn't want to act anymore. I was like, This isn't what I signed up for. If this is what my opportunities are going to be like, then I'm not that interested in acting. So I was very discouraged and disheartened. And then I got the Social Network script. That kind of inspired me."
For the full interview, pick up the January 6 issue of EW which is now on stands

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...-on-elm-street
and she also slammed her first publicized role in L&O SVU :
Quote:
Rooney Mara is set for her big breakout in the upcoming "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," but it's not as if the 26-year old is making her Hollywood debut. That came in a 2006 episode of "Law & Order: SVU," though she seems to rather regret that first big show business outing.

"It was so awful. So stupid," Mara tells Allure of her turn on the show. "Me and my boyfriend -- although I [didn't] look old enough to have a boyfriend -- went and beat up these fat people, and at the end of the show you find out that I used to be obese and I hate fat people. It's ridiculous. Who would ever do that? Who would beat someone up because they're fat?"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1153260.html
sorry but she comes across like an ungrateful bitch never slam your past work never burn your bridges especially since elm st. role got her exposure and got her cast in social network
Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM
To be fair, that does sound like an awful episode of SVU. And she's lucky she got work after Elm St.

Instead of dissing her past work, she should be praising Fincher for saving her career and possibly boosting it in the long run.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 PM
There is very little in the world of entertainment that I hate more than this sort of shit.

Sharon Stone and Helen Hunt made cottage industries out of it. Even Jennifer Connelly went down that road around 2004. You're effectively saying to all of the people who already make up your fanbase that they can all go get fucked because you've got a nice new bunch of supporters and you don't need them anymore.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 PM
LOL, she's not the only one that has bitched about Elm Street. Pretty much everyone on that fucking cast has said that it was a terrible experience. I also read another interview with her the other day where she went to explain her comments and how they were taken out of context. Maybe it was damage control, but she seemed pretty genuine.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Just when I started feeling the love for this gal....
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
As I mentioned in the Katherine Heigl thread about more or less the same subject, I commend anyone who admits to the cold hard truths of the world: the majority of work put out by Hollywood is disposable shit. Writers/directors/producers/etc., you want respect and not get any blows to your ego? Don't put out shit -- it's as simple as that (especially if you KNOW it's shit). Granted, there are plenty of shitty actors in Hollywood, too, who don't know good writing/filmmaking/etc. from a hole in the ground. Fortunately, she doesn't appear to be one of those.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Sharon Stone and Helen Hunt made cottage industries out of it. Even Jennifer Connelly went down that road around 2004. You're effectively saying to all of the people who already make up your fanbase that they can all go get fucked because you've got a nice new bunch of supporters and you don't need them anymore.
It's fun to read into these stories for the enjoyment of gossip, but imo it's nothing worthy. Follow the trail of links - Mara was asked the question. Among the hundreds of interviews and press junkets she has attended for this movie, we find two apparent mentions. There is no context suggesting she is bringing up the subject herself, eager to condemn her past work now that she has work she is proud of. And even in that never ever land, movie fans should be sharper about this sort of blown up gossip spread for headline grabs than to mistake it unprofessional, offensive, or worthy. It becomes fish for 'source' sharks or affiliated producers to gab about for a few weeks, and it's such a frenzy that people forget there is never an official response from the specific cast or crew of Law and Order, Nightmare on Elm Street, or, well, anyone specifically involved. The gossip rag's idea of professionalism is fabricated for the sake of the gossip, but gossip exists in its own contextverse beyond reality.

I'm worried this is another situation where Mara isn't offended, Bayer isn't offended, Fincher isn't offended, Strick and Heisserer aren't offended, nobody is offended, but movie fans decide to be offended for... Somebody. When asked for an impromptu clarification on the comment, Mara has responded:
Quote:
"It's certainly not what I meant. If anything, I didn't mean that the storyline was ridiculous; I meant that humanity is ridiculous," she explained to The Huffington Post.

The star added: "I know that Law & Order makes their episodes out of real things that are happening in the city, so to me, by 'ridiculous' I meant that humanity is ridiculous."

Mara went on to say she found appearing on Law & Order: SVU "exciting" because it was her real acting job.

"It's an experience I hold very dear to my heart," she noted.
And honestly, it's the need for clarification that makes these junkets rival political theaters in their inoffensive correctness. Fans who get offended by these sorts of 'slams' are the people responsible for junkets being boring, trite, rehearsed affairs. Someone can't even exhale with relief, Whew, I sure had to crawl through a lot of shit to get here..? It's not that we have thin skin with this stuff. We're just too eager to be aggravated. And I'm including myself in the category, because I wouldn't have clicked on this thread had the headline not been grabbing. Aren't we the goofy gawkers for drama.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 PM
There's go Shini, again. Trying to bring logic into a conversation when we're clearly trying to overreact.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 PM
It's not like I'm sitting here pushing pins into a voodoo doll of her, I just think she's full of shit. The original comment was fairly clear and the attempted retraction looks like damage control bullshit. It's the same routine we saw from Sienna Miller after the "Shitsburgh" incident. Walking this stuff back publicly is sort of required on a pro forma basis but almost no one really buys it.

Like I said, I'm not really exactly seething about it but I do think it bespeaks a lack of professionalism and I'm not really inclined to just chalk it up to life being a big ol' circus. If that makes me an asshole, so be it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 PM
I already knew Mara hated The Elm Street remake from that Vogue article last month, but even before then, it wouldn't have surprised me to hear comments like those.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Ehhhhh fuck her.

She was pretty terrible in that SVU episode, too...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 AM
for me personally had she said this like several years down the line after some oscar nominations and great performances down the line and was like you know looking all those years ago at that film yeah it was kinda crappy but it got me to the platform i am at now

that would be different

but elm st. came out a year ago lol

elm.st. is the reason fincher noticed her
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by project 86 View Post
for me personally had she said this like several years down the line after some oscar nominations and great performances down the line and was like you know looking all those years ago at that film yeah it was kinda crappy but it got me to the platform i am at now

that would be different

The Social Network was already done shooting before Elm Street even came out. I think there may have been a few things done after, but her scenes were probably already done. I don't see how you can say Fincher hired her because of Elm Street.

She is lucky she also had The Social Network out the same year.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Ehhhhh fuck her.

She was pretty terrible in that SVU episode, too...
But she was in the Social Network bro, the Social Network.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by project 86 View Post

that would be different

Nonetheless, a spade is still a spade. Why call it anything else? So basically you can't make any criticisms of ANYTHING if you're in the biz (even when said criticisms are valid, as they are here)? This constant desire for political correctness has gotten ridiculous.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM
That Law & Order episode sounds hilarious haha.

I wouldn't be surprised if this chick is a stuck up biatch. She comes from an insanely wealthy family(the Rooney family which owns the Steelers) and probably had everything handed to her on a silver platter growing up.

That being said, I thought she was great in TGWTDT and could be the next Natalie Portman if she plays her cards right
Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Nonetheless, a spade is still a spade. Why call it anything else? So basically you can't make any criticisms of ANYTHING if you're in the biz (even when said criticisms are valid, as they are here)? This constant desire for political correctness has gotten ridiculous.
There's a right way and a wrong way to publicly criticize and she doesn't know the difference. Saying something "was stupid and awful" is definitely NOT the right way. You handle criticizing something the same way you handle most delicate situations: with respect and tact. You don't say something was "stupid," you say it "wasn't for me" or something like it.

Sick of these stuck up actresses bashing their previous work the minute they find a little success. It's bullshit. The project wasn't "stupid" and you weren't too good for it when you signed up to act in it, was it?

Like I said, she might be a good actress, but still.....fuck her.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
If we want to string these invisible graces of professionalism across the film industry, why not hold ourselves to it, since fans are probably a part of the webwork? Maybe we have our own responsibilities. I know we aren't professional commentators, but Mara isn't a professional interviewee either. She's an actress. She's not a publicist of any kind, and this assumed role of promoter is an unfair and awkward one for a lot of people in the industry.

I can understand excepting ourselves from the professionalism of the industry if we were talking about the professionalism of the industry, and not our own gossiped ideas about what actors, directors, etc should/shouldn't say. As far as I know these instances don't usually result in anyone's offense but our own, beyond a nattering producer or two. So, if we're indulging our own dramas here, why not indulge ourselves with same standards. At least then nobody would write "graceless cunt" with a straight face, making me laugh at myself and this peanut gallery culture I'm a part of. We can't compose ourselves better when we are leisurely posting on the internet, yet we are disappointed when an actress can't compose herself better on the tail end of promotional week 5, interview number 435 out of 500. We understand the attitude, yet we're disappointed by it? I'm copping a bitchtude, but whatdaya expect! We're easily aggravated.

I get that nobody is seething mad and nobody is sending angry letters and we're all just having fun, and I'm not harping on anybody about that. But I always thought the amusing thing about these stories was how actors and actresses have to tiptoe around everything, almost to the point of being political, and how indignant hollywood acts when one doesn't. I forgot we have our monocles set against this sort of behavior too. And that's kinda disappointing. I guess.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Ehhh, a bunch of other res[ected actors have done the exact thing that Mara has done, so I don't see the big deal.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
That Law & Order episode sounds hilarious haha.

It really does. I used to like that show. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
There's go Shini, again. Trying to bring logic into a conversation when we're clearly trying to overreact.
Damn it, Shinigami!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I've not yet seen TGWTDT (Mouthful of an acronym) but I have seen The Social Network & Nightmare On Elm Street and she sucked in both. Being fair, her scenes in The Social Network were limited, but I thought she was meh. And now that she has found a little bit of success, she starts bad mouthing the people who kept food on her plate when it all wasn't going so great.

You don't trash or even comment on badly your past films in public. You can tell your friends and family that you didn't enjoy the film, but don't rip into it during and interview. You end up sounding like an ungrateful asshole with little class. I had little interest in her before this, and none after reading it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I really can see why she may have bashed the Nightmare remake, had she left out that part about auditioning for the role and not wanting it; I mean, the film had 11 scripts and scenes for all of them were filmed and even used in commercials! With that said, her walking out of the audition cursing the fact that she was likely to get the role shows how much disrespect that she has toward the film itself. Now, I can say that it was a shitty movie, but to actively participate so much as performing the lead role in a film with little-to-no faith in it is a huge slap in the face to the movie itself, not to mention in this particular case (one of the most popular film series of all time!!) where there was already a built-in fanbase that she pretty much showed how little she cares about by doing this.

If she was truly passionate about her career, she would only do films that she believed in, and take part in roles which she can relate to/is grateful to have. I thought that she was wooden in everything I have seen her in thus far, but I can't wait to see her turn in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with all said and done.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd say it's a bit early in the career to start dissing previous collaborators. Perhaps a boycott is in order. I can live without seeing Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I really can. Here's hoping she isn't cast in a film by David Cronenberg, Takashi Miike, or the Coen Bros.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM
She was the worst thing about that movie, I thought.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
She was the worst thing about that movie, I thought.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I've heard it's a good film, but I haven't heard much about her performance, but to be fair I haven't been digging very deeply.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been hearing mostly good things about her performance. I haven't seen her in anything other than The Social Network yet.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 PM
She is quite good. I can't compare her to Rapace (I haven't seen the swedish version, but certainly plan to), but her version of Lisbeth is certainly a good one.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
(I haven't seen the swedish version, but certainly plan to)
I wouldn't bother.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't bother.

I second that. I was impressed with the movie for awhile because everybody knew a foreign language, and it's well shot, but whatever it is in this story captivating so many people... It's lost on me. But I'm planning to check out Fincher's version because I enjoy planning to do things. And it's Fincher.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Of course, nearly every actor has done a role strictly for the money at some point. But not everyone is a mere 'paycheck actor' a la Bruce Willis or Jessica Alba; some actually do indeed care more about artistic integrity and doing work that will hopefully have some staying power. No one is going to remember the "Elm Street" remake in 20 years. I wish more people had the balls to call out the hacks in their field of work. : P
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
The one thing I remember about Mara from the SVU episode (which in and of itself was pretty dumb for an SVU episode, former fat girl kills fat people? Seriously?) and Social Network is that I saw nothing that stood out. Often times the better actors just have that thing that makes you notice them right off the bat. Her, she completely disappears into the background. While I understand that your first jobs are not going to be the best, throwing the people who gave you your break under the bus is just not cool.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
She's right that those films are dire, but I don't like the way she's gone about it. There's no need to publicly disrespect work. Keep it private. Talk to the agent about wanting a change, and once that's settled crack a smile and move on.

If she had a valid complaint about industry corruption, sexism, exploitation, blackmail, then that's something I would like to know, but I don't care to hear her or any celebrity complain about not liking work.

Talk to some guy working a factory or office. Ask them how their day was.

Ungrateful girl.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMercury View Post
The one thing I remember about Mara from the SVU episode (which in and of itself was pretty dumb for an SVU episode, former fat girl kills fat people? Seriously?) and Social Network is that I saw nothing that stood out. Often times the better actors just have that thing that makes you notice them right off the bat. Her, she completely disappears into the background. While I understand that your first jobs are not going to be the best, throwing the people who gave you your break under the bus is just not cool.
and even she is good in GWDT does'nt mean anything because it is fincher he got jesse an oscar nom for god sakes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I've heard it's a good film, but I haven't heard much about her performance, but to be fair I haven't been digging very deeply.

No, Nightmare on Elm street.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Meh. This is non news. Plenty of celebrities have dissed their past work. She's no different than any of the others. I don't get what is so bad about it.

I mean, I actually liked the Elm Street remake (sure it's not as good as the original but it's still enjoyable to me), but I am in the extreme minority when it comes to that movie.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
It was coming.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1157602.html

Quote:
Last week, the Internet was abuzz over a quote Rooney Mara gave to Allure for their new cover story. The New York Post's Page Six picked up a sliver of an excerpt from the magazine, in which Mara appeared to say that her first-ever professional role, as a formerly obese girl who taunts and bullies overweight children, was "stupid" and "awful," amongst other unflattering things. The story took off (including getting picked up here at HuffPost) in part because the world knows so little about the 26-year-old actress at this point.

The incident proved instructive about the more inconvenient sides of celebrity.

Speaking to The Huffington Post in a discussion about her new film, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," Mara cleared up the situation and discussed how it reflects her career's progression.

You've said -- or at least I read -- that you didn't necessarily love your time during that "SVU" episode and some other shoots. So what was it about working with David Fincher on "Social Network" and now "Dragon Tattoo" that rekindled your passion?

First of all, the "SVU" thing -- that's just not true. That was my first job. It couldn't have been more exciting for me. It's an experience I hold very dear to my heart. People take things out of context, and that's just not the case. I was more nervous doing that job than I was doing this job ...

"Nightmare on Elm Street" [Mara starred in the 2010 remake of the horror film] was a really hard movie to make, and I didn't love the experience, but I would never take it back because I feel like I learned something from it and it brought me to my next job. I feel like every job I've ever had has led me to the next, and whether you like something or not, you always learn from it, and I think sometimes it's good to do those jobs that weren't necessarily easy to make, and you learn the most about yourself from those.

I immediately felt bad asking that question, because at this point, the story isn't so much whether you liked those shoots, but what the press and the Internet harps on.

It's really silly. People, especially with young girls, they feel the need to make them out to be a certain way, and I feel so grateful for any job I've ever gotten. I feel grateful for the student jobs I did, I feel grateful for being an extra in some of the things my sister did. I feel like every single job that I've done has shaped who I am and has led me to where I am now.

It's hard to have to talk about yourself all the time and things are out of context, and whatever that quote was, I don't know, but it's certainly not what I meant. If anything, I didn't mean that the storyline was ridiculous; I meant that humanity is ridiculous. I know that 'Law & Order' makes their episodes out of real things that are happening in the city, so to me, by "ridiculous" I meant that humanity is ridiculous. People are awful to one another; and to me, I find it ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I've not yet seen TGWTDT (Mouthful of an acronym) but I have seen The Social Network & Nightmare On Elm Street and she sucked in both. Being fair, her scenes in The Social Network were limited, but I thought she was meh. And now that she has found a little bit of success, she starts bad mouthing the people who kept food on her plate when it all wasn't going so great.

You don't trash or even comment on badly your past films in public. You can tell your friends and family that you didn't enjoy the film, but don't rip into it during and interview. You end up sounding like an ungrateful asshole with little class.
True. There's honesty then there's being tactless. True, Mara's job isn't meant to be upfrontly diplomatic (that's always a lovely bonus though), but she should know better than to trash a movie that not only involved her, but also a whole lot of other people, although bad experiences don't tend to stay hidden for too long anyway because they are always revealed one time or another. However, Mara didn't censor herself as much as perhaps you and I would have if we were in her position. I dunno, perhaps you may have done the same if you experienced what she experienced. Mara is quite young and she hasn't been a leading lady up until recently, so she needs to learn how to conduct herself before she can speak about her grittier experiences.

Just my two cents of course.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:05 AM
She should just stop digging the hole she's in and let this blow over.

She's already been exposed as an unprofessional ingrate. She probably shouldn't want to add "liar" to that list. Just shut up already.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 01-10-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
This all rather reminds me of the somewhat famous story of John Cassavetes ca. 1957 doing a radio interview to promote his latest film, "Edge of the City." About halfway through, he conceded that it wasn't a very good film, and that he could probably make a better one. He then urged all listeners who were tired of the same old Hollywood product to send donations to a certain address that would help finance said film. Well, the donations made up most (if not all) of the budget of the film, which turned out to be "Shadows"... and the rest is history. Cassavetes had no trouble finding acting jobs for the rest of his career (while still in good health, anyway). I guess I don't see much of a difference between that incident and this one... except that Cassavetes was slamming the very movie he was promoting.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Rooney Mara isn't John Cassavetes.