Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 AM
AMC, yet another TV station that's isn't following its name

I'm never much of a fan of watching movies cut for TV but I usually put it on when there's nothing else on TV and its a movie I've already seen. First they started showing films only a few years old. OK I suppose I could let that slide once in a while. Then they started rerunning the same movies a lot. Then (regardless if they're good or bad) I kinda shake my head that they're producing their own shows (Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels) but now I suppose it was a sign of things to come.

American Movie Classics is now airing CSI: Miami aka CSI: Snoozefest aka CSI: Can Suck It. Its not a movie! Don't call CSI a movie otherwise you might as well call the Huggies diaper commercial a movie as well. Shows aren't movies! Have you ever heard anyone say they're going to watch that 'movie' Grey's Anatomy or that 'movie' Two and a Half Men or that 'movie' America's Top Model?

This boring show is everywhere. I'm pretty sure you can watch the episodes for free on an android, laptop, Ipad, Iphone, Itoilet etc. Pretty soon it'll be on the cooking channel... it isn't is it? I'm seriously asking. I mean is this a product of such a crappy economy that stations now have to air any possible random easily accessible shows that become available to them? Oh boy I can't wait when Law & Order makes it to American Movie Classics! I think this is starting to reflect the ignorant collective masses' view that television and film have the same standards.

Is AMC heading in the direction of MTV and losing its identity? A channel named Music Television that slowly got away from music now they don't even call themselves by that name anymore. I'm not even sure what MTV stands for anymore. I'm willing to bet eventually we're going to see reruns of the Jersey Shore and the Kardashians on AMC years from now and AMC will just be known as AMC and not American Movie Classics. Probably if TCM was more of a basic cable channel I'm sure they'd be heading in this direction as well. Whatever fuck it its just stupid television.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-03-2012 at 04:57 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Hmm, I haven't been following AMC to notice these things. I mean, wow. CSI on AMC already? Yeah, I definitely hope it doesn't turn into another MTV. I mean them doing TV series of such quality I have no issues with - modern or not. I remember AMC in the early 2000s...goddamn was it fun coming home from school on a Friday night, watching Stan Winston's FX show at 8, and then have classic horror flicks back-to-back-to-back all night.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, technically Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Mad Men aren't movies either. AMC hasn't been "American Movie Classics" in a long time, same thing with MTV, VH1, and others. They just continue to go by those letters, initials, whatever because that's what they've always been. They just ignore their original meanings so as to be able to change programming when they want to try to up the viewership.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I guess there was no movie to be made in their original format and branced out. If that is the case, it is adapt or die and if so you are going to have to deal with other programming so you can see what they usually show. That or they are just following all the other cable networks.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Then (regardless if they're good or bad) I kinda shake my head that they're producing their own shows (Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels) but now I suppose it was a sign of things to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Well, technically Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Mad Men aren't movies either.
You don't say.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I think they have the same problem that the History channel has. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can show about World War 2. There are only so many classic movies that you can show.

MTV on the other hand has no excuse, since there is always new music videos being made.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I remember when Dish Network made this deal and I read in their magazine/monthly guide that I was going to get this channel called G4. After some research, I was psyched as hell. With shows like FILTER, ELECTRIC PLAYGROUND, and ICONS, how could I lose?

When I started getting their programming, it was everything I thought it was, and more (they even had a news-format show called PULSE where they reported nothing game industry news in a professional manner). Then the G4-TechTV merger started, and I noticed a decline. The end result is, well, what you see now.

The channel that touts itself as "TV for gamers" is now nothing but a softcore version of Spike TV, a shell of itself. They ruined 2 great channels to make one shitty one...it's a damn shame.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Before they started making quality television shows, AMC was a joke since they would air movies like Catwoman! Yeah, because Catwoman is an american classic!!!

Fortunately with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Killing and The Walking Dead, they have reinvented themselves as a great channel for television.

Is Hell on a Wheels any good? It looked intriguing to me but haven't seen it yet.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I think they have the same problem that the History channel has. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can show about World War 2. There are only so many classic movies that you can show.

MTV on the other hand has no excuse, since there is always new music videos being made.
Huh? There's no history outside of World War 2? And you're right there are only so many classic movies you can show. Like only about a few thousand of them not to mention as the years go on more films become classic.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Before they started making quality television shows, AMC was a joke since they would air movies like Catwoman! Yeah, because Catwoman is an american classic!!!

Fortunately with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Killing and The Walking Dead, they have reinvented themselves as a great channel for television.

Is Hell on a Wheels any good? It looked intriguing to me but haven't seen it yet.
Just like I said before but at least they showed movies. What's the point of a channel having an identity anymore? If they would just fess up and change their name perhaps another new basic cable station would launch that actually only airs classic movies like their name advertises. Or at least AMC should split into 2 networks, one just for shows the other just for movies. Again this has nothing to do with how good their shows are.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-03-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Just like I said before but at least they showed movies. What's the point of a channel having an identity anymore? If they would just fess up and change their name perhaps another new basic cable station would launch that actually only airs classic movies like their name advertises. Or at least AMC should split into 2 networks, one just for shows the other just for movies. Again this has nothing to do with how good their shows are.
AMC hasn't stood for "American Movie Classics" in a long time. When was the last time you saw or heard "American Movie Classics" on the network. They only go by AMC. While AMC may have stood for that when it started, it no longer does.

I at least respected the network for starting several original series that received great reviews, word-of-mouth, and strong fan bases. But when I saw they were going to start syndicating "CSI: Miami," I was extremely disappointed; it's like they're selling out.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I guess there was no movie to be made in their original format and branced out. If that is the case, it is adapt or die and if so you are going to have to deal with other programming so you can see what they usually show. That or they are just following all the other cable networks.
Opps. I meant to say

I guess there was no MONEY to be made.......

Everything is always about the money
Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 AM
CSI on AMC............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
Spoiler:
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................
Old 01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
They gave us Mad Men, your argument is invalid.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
They gave us Mad Men, your argument is invalid.
No its perfectly valid. What do the letters in AMC mean? What's the channel's identity? Since it doesn't stand for American Movie Classics anymore then why keep the same letters? Why can't they split into 2 different channels (one for just shows and one for just movies)? I know its because they're pussies letting the bean counters take over their network. They don't want to admit the loss of their identity because then that would mean another basic cable movie channel would be created and that means loss of viewers on their network. Its MTV all over again only with movies instead of music. btw I can't think of a single film made before 1980 that wasn't a western or the Godfathers that aired on AMC recently.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-25-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Walter White would like a word with you.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Go to A&E Mr. Pink.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM
If you dont like it then dont watch the channel. Pretty simple solution if you ask me. I DVR BrBa and Walking Dead, never watch the channel. Times change, so should you.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Its my rant you don't like it then ignore me.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-25-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
It really does suck that they picked up CSI: Miami. I'm not a fan of the show or any of the CSI shows for that matter. Hopefully they wont junk it up and start playing three and four hour marathons of it to fill in time. I really do not see the need for it, the show is already on five or six channels. I can't bitch about AMC too much though, for a while they were showing some really bad movies but now they are making some of the best TV shows around. I love Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and the Walking Dead. Hell on Wheels had an amazing first season so hopefully they keep up the good work on that front. I never really did watch AMC for movies any ways. I hate watching movies on TV that edited and chopped to shit and have advertisements every ten minutes.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
No its perfectly valid. What do the letters in AMC mean? What's the channel's identity? Since it doesn't stand for American Movie Classics anymore then why keep the same letters? Why can't they split into 2 different channels (one for just shows and one for just movies)? I know its because they're pussies letting the bean counters take over their network. They don't want to admit the loss of their identity because then that would mean another basic cable movie channel would be created and that means loss of viewers on their network. Its MTV all over again only with movies instead of music. btw I can't think of a single film made before 1980 that wasn't a western or the Godfathers that aired on AMC recently.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I get your point and agree, although I do enjoy Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.
On a related note: The "History" Channel is a HUGE offender in this category. Almost none of their programming is related to History in any way, shape, or form anymore. It's sort of weird actually.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5958/dondraperinvalid.jpg
Here's a chicken with a fish head smoking.

Your argument is invalid.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Your argument is invalid because Mad Men is a fantastic, amazing show. For shame on you.

Last edited by The_Soloist; 01-26-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 AM
You're invalid for having a Green Lantern avatar.

It has nothing to do with the qualities of their shows this has more to do with CSI: Miami.

Music channels should have music programming.
History channels should have history programming.
Cooking channels should have cooking programming.
Nature channels should have nature programming.
Travel channels should have travel programming.
News channels should have news programming.
Home improvement channels should have home improvement programming.
Movie channels should have movie programming.

Sorry nothing is invalid about those statements.

I'm not even that bothered that they produce their own shows but regardless when they have reruns of TV shows from another network for hours every day its a charade.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Holy fuck, AMC has rebranded it's station. it no longer calls itself American Movie Classics, just AMC. They plan on doing original programing --- Can you say LAME? What kind of bullshit shows you think they will come up with?

Off-topic, (other than to bring good news over this AMC BS) but did anyone hear they are making 2 sequels to The Matrix? Damn man, those are going to be mind blowing - probably the best movies evah!!!! If you haven't read about it yet, do a Dogpile search.

Peace out!

~~Lindsay Lohan 4-ever~~
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 AM
This is about CSI: Miami on AMC not their original programming. Even after they got rid of their name American Movie Classics they still played ya know movies? Not reruns of other programs from other networks. They want to make their own shows, fine. Push comes to shove I don't give a flying fuck. But I draw the line at CSI: West Bunglefuck.

Last edited by creekin111; 01-26-2012 at 03:02 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
This is about CSI: Miami on AMC not their original programming. Even after they got rid of their name American Movie Classics they still played ya know movies? Not reruns of other programs from other networks. They want to make their own shows, fine. Push comes to shove I don't give a flying fuck. But I draw the line at CSI: West Bunglefuck.

There's a CSI: Miami now? LOL. Despite my appreciation for the locale. I think this is a spin-off we could do without. The original was kind of clever for like one episode but then it got almost as annoying as The Dell Guy.

So is this going to be exclusive for AMC. I told you they'd have shit programs. They could at least do reality programing before the fad dies out.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Catwoman is neither a movie or a classic.
Discuss.

Sorry, Halle. I paid to see that montage of painful imagery.
Want my money back.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Its my rant you don't like it then ignore me.
I'll ignore this rant going forward, but I wont stop frequenting random pics...evah.