Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Netflix VS Blockbuster VS Amazon Prime

Alright, so when Netflix hiked their prices fro streaming and DVDs, I decided to just go steaming because even thought they don't have a lot of new movies, they had a ton of TV shows and I do like the oddball indy movies they have.

That being said, I was hoping to get opinions from people who use both Blockbuster mail service and Amazon Prime. I've heard pros and cons on both. Blockbuster seems like it may be better than Netflix on the DVD selection and another plus is that I still have a Blockbuster relatively close by so I can turn them in to the store. The big downside obviously is the lack of streaming.

Amazon Prime seems like a watered down version of Netflix's streaming, but the plus side is that you get free shipping on Amazon, and I do spend a good bit on Amazon. On the other hand, you have to pay for a whole year at a time.

So what do you guys think?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I have used all three and my vote goes to Amazon. They have been adding stuff to their selections but like netflix and blockbuster, it can get difficult to find things at time to watch. However as you mentioned, getting the free 2 day shipping on pretty much everything I buy has already been worth it several times over considering I bought most the gifts I needed from Amazon. Also my wife has a kindle and for prime members they have free rental books for kindle that she enjoys too.

That combined with my roku and megavideo account have allowed me to cancel cable all together. I save about 70% monthly over cable and I always have plenty to watch =)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm in the UK and Blockbuster is virtually dead, no stores anywhere and I'm in South London haha
Old 12-12-2011, 02:42 AM
I have Amazon Prime, and I can't stream to my PS3 which is annoying, so in terms of streaming, Netflix is pry the tops.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I've only used Netflix. I was the same when they upped their price, I ditched the disc. I watch Netflix ALL THE TIME on my iPad and love it. I would lie to sample amazon prime as well as blockbusters'.

Honesty though, I wouldnt be holding onto that blockbuster store too tight, that business model is as dead as cassettes.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
I've had the Blockbuster mail service for years. It's what I use to watch new releases right away.

Netflix has also been on my 360 for almost two years and I use it all the time as well. But Netflix is really only good for documentaries and TV shows. They take months to put any kind of newly released films up which is so annoying and the reason I still have Blockbusters mail service.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Hulu Plus has plenty of streaming options as well. None of these services is perfect and I still find myself renting movies every now and then from Blockbuster or the public library if they're not available in streaming.