#1  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Name your plot holes

If you like a movie and you say there are a few plot holes, no problem. Few films are perfect, but you like the overall work and you get a pass. In my opinion, you can't kill a movie and come out with the blanket, "There are numberous or huge plot holes." and give the movie a shit score. I want you to name these holes. Back up your opinion, otherwise what you say has no merit in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
As much as I love Citizen Kane, the whole thing with the nurse not being around to hear "Rosebud" kinda bothers me...because she wasn't there and he was pretty quiet. =\ That's probably dumb. Some plotholes are necessary (I guess) if the story couldn't move along otherwise or it would be more dramatic.

Last edited by Tweek; 05-09-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
That is not what I meant. Maybe I did not write it clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Complaints about plot holes in time travel movies annoy me. Time travel paradox IS a fucking plot hole by definition, so it's like complaining about vulgarity and violence in a Tarantino flick. Unless of course those people hate all time travel stories in the history of mankind FOR that very reason, then it at least shows some consistency of principle.

But I'll give one example in particular of my own so I'm playing by the rules - the ending of the original Black Christmas. If you haven't seen it, stop reading...








... Stopped reading? Okay, so it's meant to be creepy that Jess is left alone in the house at the end of the night with the killer still at large in the attic, just waiting to pounce. I get that the cops all thought they caught him after the guilty evidence was established for boyfriend Peter, not to mention that he was already dead. But unless it's been way too long since I've seen it and this plot hole never existed, they HADN'T found the dead Clare yet during their search, who was still in the attic with Billy with a bag over her face. So the police just leave and don't check the entire house over as a routine sweep? Okay, maybe it's just a forgivable oversight to most, but it always did strike me as glaring...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
As much as I love Citizen Kane, the whole thing with the nurse not being around to hear "Rosebud" kinda bothers me...because she wasn't there and he was pretty quiet. =\ That's probably dumb. Some plotholes are necessary (I guess) if the story couldn't move along otherwise or it would be more dramatic.
Come on, Tweek. We all know that the acoustics in Xanadu are AMAZING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Complaints about plot holes in time travel movies annoy me. Time travel paradox IS a fucking plot hole by definition, so it's like complaining about vulgarity and violence in a Tarantino flick. Unless of course those people hate all time travel stories in the history of mankind FOR that very reason, then it at least shows some consistency of principle.
But time travel stories can have plot holes. It all matters just how they decide to portray time travel. Is the time travel the sort where any travel has and always will happen? Is it Back to the Future time travel where you can change something and have some time to fix it? Is it time travel like Primer where it is as confusing as fuck because the most likely thing if time travel ever were invented... is everything being as confusing as fuck?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
****12 Monkeys and Terminator spoilers ahead****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
But time travel stories can have plot holes. It all matters just how they decide to portray time travel. Is the time travel the sort where any travel has and always will happen? Is it Back to the Future time travel where you can change something and have some time to fix it? Is it time travel like Primer where it is as confusing as fuck because the most likely thing if time travel ever were invented... is everything being as confusing as fuck?
The problem is it can be all of the above, there are no set rules that say you have to pick either or and stick to that formula, it's just a matter of people liking if they do because it's less confusing. It's like Daniel Faraday's "pebbles and boulders" analogy in season 5 of Lost, a show which despite setting up the rule of "whatever happened, happened" early on and sticking mostly to it throughout the series, it still had inconsistencies and rules being bent all the time (Desmond's visions). Maybe you have a story with an inadvertent boulder being dropped in the stream of time (Marty accidentally taking his dad's place in the '50's in BTTF), but you can actually drop another boulder in later (George rescuing Lorraine from Biff) and the original timeline can be preserved... albeit with alterations. It's such a touchy mix and match of continuity and paradox that complaining about "plot holes" in a soup like that is like complaining about a shitstorm when you're wading elbow-deep in shit.

Actually, the only debateable thing about it is if you're going to allow the past to be changed or not, but even then, it's not exactly a betrayal if that turns out to not be true after all, or only partially true ie. 12 Monkeys's ending. I mean, some people still bitch about the existence of T3 because "T2 stopped the future from happening OMG!", like it was set in stone, debunked, and that that was even T3's biggest problem (which it wasn't, but that's another debate). T1 already set a precedent that whatever the heroes did, it didn't really stop a goddamn thing, and in fact was responsible for everything that followed. The fact Cameron himself even took out the original ending of a changed sunny future for the Connor family after T2 in favor of the dark highway at night motif signals that uncertainty. The real problem people had stemmed from the fact that they felt T2 wrapped up the story and whatever the future held, the Connors' story was effectively finished. See, that's a real criticism of the T3 story. But leave the fucking time travel on the bench, it has nothing to do with purist debate if you ever watched T1 in your life.

In the end, I'm not saying there aren't legitimate beefs with time travel stories out there and maybe even plot holes that hold water despite the contradictory nature of time travel, it's just that I've never seen them effectively debated in a way that can't be chalked up in some way to time travel just being as fucked up a plot device as they come that leaves plot holes in its wake like Charlie Sheen leaves trails of snow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
The problem is it can be all of the above, there are no set rules that say you have to pick either or and stick to that formula, it's just a matter of people liking if they do because it's less confusing. It's like Daniel Faraday's "pebbles and boulders" analogy in season 5 of Lost, a show which despite setting up the rule of "whatever happened, happened" early on and sticking mostly to it throughout the series, it still had inconsistencies and rules being bent all the time (Desmond's visions).
How would Faraday explain this?



Come on, out with it.

Last edited by Tagia_Romero; 06-01-2011 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Assassins

Just had an argument about this. In the scene where Sylvester Stallone comes out of the bank, he cannot hear Julianne Moore and does not know if she moved the rifle, so he does not know if all is well to walk out of the bank. Yet, he STILL walks into the very spot where he knows a highly trained assassin (Banderas) could be waiting with a sniper rifle to blow him away?? Anybody agree with me or am I talking out of my....
Replies appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Still love this film but too many plot holes to mention.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
My plot has many holes, but I've named the three biggest ones Reginald, Gareth & Billford.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Wikus and Christopher from District 9 got into that military base in the middle of a city without attracting attention. It's kinda hard to miss the two most wanted "things" in the world holding giant guns.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 PM
What's a plot hole exactly? I've never really understood this expression.

Runs to Wikipedia...

A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behavior or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

While many stories have unanswered questions, unlikely events or chance occurrences, a plot hole is one that is essential to the story's outcome. Plot holes are usually seen as weaknesses or flaws in a story, and writers usually try to avoid them to make their stories seem as realistic as possible. However, certain genres (and some media) which require or allow suspension of disbelief are more tolerant of plot holes.

Writers can deal with plot holes in different ways, from completely rewriting the story, to having characters acknowledge illogical or unintelligent actions, to having characters make vague statements that could be used to deflect accusations of plot holes (e.g. "I've tried everything I can think of..." to keep critics from asking why a particular action was not taken). The nature of the plot hole and the developmental stage at which it is noticed usually determine the best course of action to take. For example, a motion picture that has already wrapped production would much more likely receive an added line of dialogue rather than an entire script rewrite.


That's way too deep for my cornflake to grasp. Can someone please give me a few really good examples?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
What a stupid fucking thread title....... oh it was mine..... damn. forgot about this one.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Geez you were only trying your best Erroneous

Well just say you come across a movie which you like and there is a certain plot about it

A plot can be where it is something you dont expect or it comes across sudderly making the movie interesting

Or just say you are watching a good thriller and you are glued to the set and sudderly the plot thinkens or it twists and turns can be quite interesting
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez you were only trying your best Erroneous

Well just say you come across a movie which you like and there is a certain plot about it

A plot can be where it is something you dont expect or it comes across sudderly making the movie interesting

Or just say you are watching a good thriller and you are glued to the set and sudderly the plot thinkens or it twists and turns can be quite interesting
Yeah. I know what a plot is. But not a plot hole. So, a plot hole may be something that doesn't make sense to the main story or plot? For example in the movie Se7en. If John Doe at the end of the film hopped away like a bunny on drugs. Would that be a plot hole because it makes no sense? Im still confused. But thanks, BG.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Yeah. I know what a plot is. But not a plot hole. So, a plot hole may be something that doesn't make sense to the main story or plot? For example in the movie Se7en. If John Doe at the end of the film hopped away like a bunny on drugs. Would that be a plot hole because it makes no sense? Im still confused. But thanks, BG.
A plot hole can be anything that doesn't really make sense. Usually plot holes are more subtle, and not everyone notices them.
All a plot hole is, is some portion of the story that contradicts the logic of the story.
A broad example of a minor plot hole is the "capture instead of kill our hero routine"
Like in James Bond. Often times, henchmen will shoot at Bond like they're trying to kill him. But then by the end, they will capture him instead, reveal all of their plans to him. And he escapes, foils their plans and saves the day.

It's a minor plot hole, because it doesn't make sense to the story. Often times, there is no good reason to capture Bond alive, and there are never good reasons to keep him alive just to reveal plans to him.

This is sort of a broad example.

A lot of plot holes are more specific.

heres a link of interesting, and comical plot holes

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40...vengeance-1995
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Well maybe it was worded wrong

We all make mistakes

Sometimes in diffrent countries we have diffrent sayings for diffrent things

You should know that God Of War since we have a swag of words that are aussie slang and some will understand or have to look those words up

Anyway l think it was worded like this by mistake and like you said we know what a plot is to a movie

We can have a serous plot on what we are trying to find out what happens next

Or like l said we could have a horror or thriller which has us hanging out for waht happens next

There are many ways on discibing what a plot is grins

What about the Titanic where you dont expect Jack to die out in the ocean

Oh god that had me in tears
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Haha that's a good site MikeMovie, I like this one..

Don't feed the Mogwai after midnight? It's always after midnight somewhere. Besides, when does it become safe to start feeding again? And what happens when the clocks go forward?

Also...

Marty McFly’s interference in the events of 1955 have changed his own family’s future for the better.

So how come George and Lorraine don't remember “Calvin Klein,” the kid who brought them together and inspired George’s career as a sci-fi novelist...?

...and who, more importantly, looks exactly like their son?

Last edited by Hucksta G; 01-11-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Haha that's a good site MikeMovie, I like this one..

Don't feed the Mogwai after midnight? It's always after midnight somewhere. Besides, when does it become safe to start feeding again? And what happens when the clocks go forward?

Also...

Marty McFly’s interference in the events of 1955 have changed his own family’s future for the better.

So how come George and Lorraine don't remember “Calvin Klein,” the kid who brought them together and inspired George’s career as a sci-fi novelist...?

...and who, more importantly, looks exactly like their son?
Glad someone got a kick out of it
I specifically like those ones too. And the one about The Hangover. The guy on the roof up there for two days having no excuse not to come down lol.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Ah it is very interesting to how you explained a plot hole from a plot in a movie

That is why l was saying that there is diffrent sayings to a word and different meanings

But at least you were both giving exsamples to the word
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
What a stupid fucking thread title....... oh it was mine..... damn. forgot about this one.

Well from what l am learning about the plot hole is very interesting Erroneous

It is not a stupid thread

We all can learn from one another from what l can see
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
A plot hole can be anything that doesn't really make sense. Usually plot holes are more subtle, and not everyone notices them.
All a plot hole is, is some portion of the story that contradicts the logic of the story.
A broad example of a minor plot hole is the "capture instead of kill our hero routine"
Like in James Bond. Often times, henchmen will shoot at Bond like they're trying to kill him. But then by the end, they will capture him instead, reveal all of their plans to him. And he escapes, foils their plans and saves the day.

It's a minor plot hole, because it doesn't make sense to the story. Often times, there is no good reason to capture Bond alive, and there are never good reasons to keep him alive just to reveal plans to him.

This is sort of a broad example.

A lot of plot holes are more specific.

heres a link of interesting, and comical plot holes

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40...vengeance-1995
Thanks alot, man. Much appreciated, and helpful. It's strange that I didn't know what plot holes were. Your examples. Plus the link was informative.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
You should know that God Of War since we have a swag of words that are aussie slang and some will understand or have to look those words up
I guess it was something I never really gave much thought to. I just watch movies. And I miss a great deal sometimes. That's why I re-watch films many times.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
What a stupid fucking thread title....... oh it was mine..... damn. forgot about this one.
Yeah , you're a stupid cunt . Seriously it's a good topic 'cause whilst there's plenty of plot holes it's tough to think of them off the top off your head.

Quote:
Lets look at Empire. So there's a sequence where Luke gets trained by Yoda on Yoda's planet. To break up the sequence, the film cuts to the Millennium Falcon getting chased by the Empire to Lando's cloud city. When they arrive, they get captured, at which point Luke has finished his training.

Well, that doesn't work. Were they chased for months? Or was Luke trained in an afternoon? Either we were spared some extended scenes on board the Millennium Falcon featuring starvation and debates about when they'd have to eat Chewbacca, or becoming a Jedi is easier than getting a cub scout merit badge.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Geez one can be very rude

Well l think we have learnt a few things in this thread and some members have explained what a plot is and what a plot hole is all about

In my opinion this thread is full of imformation if a person wants to learn
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump