Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Best Buy - November 8th, 2011

Rush: Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland
Exclusive with tee shirt $19.99 - DVD alone $14.99

Rush: Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland
Exclusive Blu-Ray release with tee shirt $24.99 - BR alone $17.99

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows Part 1
Exclusive Blu-Ray 3D $22.99

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows Part 2 (available 11/11/11)
Exclusive Blu-Ray 3D $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs (100 other unknown titles in the bargin bin)

Rushmore
All Dogs Go To Heaven
The Great Outdoors
Seabiscuit
Friday Night Lights
Ace Ventura When Nature Calls
Rock Star
The Fugitive
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
The Muppets Take Manhattan

- - - - - - - - - -

Purchase Sony DVD player (Midi DVD player) and get two free movies $49.97

Takers
How Do You Know
The Other Guys
Stuart Little 3
Hachi
Salt

- - - - - - - - - -

Band Of Brothers/The Pacific gift set $89.99
Harry Potter: Complete 8- Film Collection $49.99 (available 11/11/11)
Mentalist, The: Season 3 $29.99
Gossip Girl: Season 4 $29.99
Fringe: Season 2 $29.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CDs

"Tech N9ne -Welcome To Strangeland (Explicit) - Deluxe Edition" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks and medallion
"Keith Sweat - Til the Morning" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks

Maybe I'll have better luck next week. "Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" finally comes on DVD (only). And "Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis: Special Edition" comes out too. I have the soundtrack to that.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-09-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Wal-Mart - November 8th, 2011

The Reunion
Exclusive store release $13.00
Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Past Tense

This week we look at the exclusives that came with the remake of the 1971 film, "The Omega Man" (a.k.a. the remake of "The Last Man On Earth" [1964]) - "I Am Legend"...

The motion picture opened on December 14th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $150,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 256 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Enchanted", "No Country For Old Men", "The Golden Compass" and "Alvin And The Chipmunks".

For the intent of this post, I'm only covering the two disc widescreen special edition. This version came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound and an insert - digital copy info/codes.

- - -

Circuit City had an exclusive pre-release, promo disc. This came in a printed cardboard sleeve. It was available free if you purchased two $5.99 sale DVDs. I got mine for free, sometimes it pays to ask. This was made available on December 9th, 2007. The promo has a run time of 14:08 minutes.

What is really sad, among other things is that this preview disc has better extras than the final release. At least here you get a gallery. Granted it's the decaying city and not the infected (they're not zombies, they are still alive - Hemocytes). Plus two making-of featurettes.

- - -

On release day, March 18th, 2008, Best Buy sold the two disc set as an exclusive steelbook case (image from fellow enthusiast, Cactussog - I'm not putting a steel case in my scanner). Like the normal release, this came with an insert for the digital copy. It sold for $17.99. This so called "Special Edition" is very underwhelming. The four animated comics were cool, they added to the story, but I wanted material on the making. No commentary; there are extras, but web based. To access, you need a PC, won't work on a Mac (which is what I have). The weblink is through an executable. This concept is BS, the extras should be here.

I did not know until researching this post that there were twenty-one short featurettes on the making, "Creating I Am Legend". Plus a documenatry on real world viruses (21 minutes). This sucks. All of this could've fit on the disc, either of them. Now I'm pissed!

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant/Tangent.

First off I'm one of those guys who believe CGI should enhance scenes, not dominate them. And if it does need to be the latter - only after practical effects fail. OR if it's a low budget feature and doing practical is cost prohibited. That's cool. I understand. But... here for this movie? No. They had the money, $150 million dollars worth. The infected, Hemocytes were done for real; people in make-up and prosthetic. But somewhere during production they switched to fully CGI constucts and overlayed CG on the footage they filmed with actors. I've seen stills of the real effects, they were nasty, sickly, they looked awesome. There wasn't anything wrong with these effects.

There is this move by studios who believe CGI is what audiences expect. If it doesn't, it won't look real. A perfect example would be the recent prequel to "John Carpenter's The Thing", "The Thing" (2011).

Okay, don't start. I know, it could've been better. True, but it wasn't as bad as some people were making it out to be.

Plus there's a whole story that's missing, not motion picture, but film making. Studios hire newbie directors to do their stuff because they can control the final product much easier. You can't do that with say a Stone, Scott, Scorsese, Spielberg or Coppola. Universal hired Matthijs van Heijningen to make their feature.

From all accounts he was very passionate about the project and did extensive research. Heijningen claimed that much of the film would be made using practical effects with minor CGI to give it an extra punch. As most who saw the final film (myself included), that claim turned out be false. Many called him a liar and much worse. This feed the fire for so many calling the movie, garbage.

What happened? Universal happened, story time.

Van Heijningen was telling the truth; interviews with Eric Heisserer (screenwriter) and Tom Woodruff with Alec Gillis (of Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc. who did the practical effects) told that motion picture made with animatronic and prosthetics. Add to this claim was leaked (b-roll) behind-the-scenes footage (online) which showed non-CGI monsters. The creature that attacks Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) down the arctic base corridor was a man in suit with green pads on shoulders and green mask, presumably for CGI tentacles and head removal. Likewise, the block of ice (before the creature escapes) was a real prop, not computer generated as seen in the film.

Quote:
There’s a scene in the film when things have started to happen but it hasn’t hit the fan yet. They bring a guy into the rec room and he’s not feeling well at all. They’re carrying him, supporting him, and he’s got his arms around the other guys’ necks. His arms pop off and sprout legs and become creatures. His legs come off and become their own creatures, and then, in an homage to the upside-down head in the Bottin version, his entire body sprouts a weird cluster of asymmetrical legs and a tentacle out of the chest. He starts attacking everybody in the room, spearing another one of the Norwegians and bringing him down to the ground, climbing on top of him and then melding faces with him, which sets up the two-faced creature from the Carpenter version. After that everything starts going to hell. It was a fun sequence to design, and it required a lot of overlap between the animatronic effects, makeup effects, environmental effects like fire, and also the visual effects aspects.
- Tom Woodruff

That effect took nearly four months to pull off - NONE of which is in the final film, pure CGI.

Why? The film had a test screening and the audience reaction was... silent. B]Universal[/B] felt the effects failed and decided to have CGI overlayed on the all ready done effects. Add to that, the said monster was push forward in the film, character development and other scenes were cut. In short, the movie was taken away from Van Heijningen.

Missing from the final film are the actions of Lars (Jørgen Langhelle), who ends up being one of the last men standing. Yeah, it's a spolier. He's a klutz. Throughout the film we were to have seen him knocking over stuff, he's a clumsy guy. We expect him to be killed/copied early on. Nope. He made it. He's the one in the chopper hunting the dog imitation. He's also the guy who butterfingers the grenade in the 1982 film. The dope threw explosive behind him by accident. This character development is gone.

One of the big missing scenes is inside the alien craft where we see the true occupants (thee eyed aliens), they were explorers. They collected samples from many worlds, held inside pods. One of these pods was open. The organism got out and overtook some of the crew. There were scorch marks on the walls. The aliens lost their fight and crashed on Earth (which is why the saucer was wobbling in the pre-credits of the Carpenter classic).

The overall problem is that test screenings get random people who may have zero interest in that particular genre. You want horror fans for horror films and such. That didn't happen here and the end result is... so so.

To make matters even worse, the original cut is gone. When "The Thing" comes to home video in March of 2012 it will be the theatrical version; Universal lost that cut. It's misplaced, not destroyed. Where? Your guess is as good as mine. But it's sad that a movie made in 2011 can become lost. No, that's depressing.

Sorry that this turned into rant for the prequel, but it bugged me that so many people in message boards were trash talking Van Heijningen. They are merciless, the man did not deserve that. It's fraking heartbreaking that his BIG Hollywood break turns into a nightmare. Fanboys can be so cruel.

- - -

Update.

The new release date for the home video release is January 31st, 2012.

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 04:34 AM..
Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Target - November 15th, 2011

West Side Story
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD combo set $16.99

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (relist from last week)
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo set with exclusive documentary $22.99

Justin Bieber: Never Say Never - Director's Fan Cut
Exclusive store release $13.00

- - - - - - - - - - -

Save $5.00 if both DVDs are purchased together...
Pirates Of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides $17.99 (DVD only)
The Lion King $17.99 (DVD only)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 $5.00
Harry Potter; Years 1 - 6 $5.00 (each, single disc versions)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Gift Of The Night Fury/Book Of Dragons set $12.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Despicable Me
Jumping The Broom
Brides Maids: Unrated
Fast Five: Extended Edition

- - - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 DVDs

The Twilight Saga: Twilight
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

- - - - - - - - - - -

Chuck: Season 4 $29.99
NCIS: Season 8 $29.99
The Good Wife: Season 2 $29.99
Parks And Recreation: Season 3 $24.99
Body Of Proof: Season 1 $9.99
Cougar Town: Season 2 $14.99
Army Wives: Season 5 $14.99
Brothers And Sisters: Season 5 $19.99
Community: Season 2 $19.99
Rasing Hope: Season 1 $19.99
Spartacus: Gods Of The Area $19.99
Camelot: Season 1 $19.99
The Kennedys $16.99
Castle: Season 3 $19.99
Two And A Half Men: Season 8 $19.99
Grey's Anatomy: Season 7 $19.99
Desperate Housewives: Season 7 $19.99

A heads up for DVD fans; Wal-Mart on a certain Friday will be selling "Pirates Of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides" for $12.96 - first come first served. I'm going to wait and hope for the best.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Best Buy - November 15th, 2011

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (relist from last week, now a bit more expensive)
Exclusive 3D Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray/DVD/UltraViolet combo set $24.99

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (relist from last week, now a bit more expensive)
Exclusive 3D Blu-Ray $24.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Harry Potter; Years 1 - 7 (each, single disc versions)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs - includes single theater voucher to see "Happy Feet 2"

Happy Feet: Widescreen Edition
March Of The Penguins

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Twilight Saga: Twilight
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Andrea Bocelli: Live In Central Park $9.99 or $17.99 with deluxe CD
Ozzy Ozbourne: God Bless $9.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2

- - - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 DVDs... save $5.00 if both are purchased together (same receipt)

Pirates Of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides (DVD only)
The Lion King (DVD only)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Harry Potter: Collector's Set $49.99
Body Of Proof: Season 1 $11.99
Nip & Tuck: Season 6 $12.99
The Venture Bros.: Season 4, Vol. 2 $12.99
Psych: Season 4 $14.99
Heroes: Season 4 $14.99
Parks And Recreation: Season 2 $14.99
CSI: Miami: Season 8 $14.99
The Good Wife: Season 1 $14.99
V: Season 1 $14.99 (reboot)
Cougar Town: Season 2 $14.99
Grey's Anatomy: Season 6 $16.99
Desperate Housewives: Season 7 $19.99
Desperate Housewives: Season 6 $16.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$21.99 CD

The Who: Quadrophenia - Director's Cut Deluxe Edition or $121.99 4CDs/DVD Super Deluxe Set

The price for "Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis: Special Edition" is $24.99 as on their website (not much of a savings). Will it be in store or only online?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Past Tense

This week's 'Past Tense' we get lost in the depths in Neil Marshall's "The Descent"...

The motion picture opened on August 4th, 2006 (States). It was made with a budget of £3,500,000 (estimated) and grossed over 57 million during its worldwide run (United Kingdom feature). The film opened number five at the box office (America), the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", "Monster House", "World Trade Center" and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby".

This release originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with a two page booklet showcasing the bonus content. And an ad for D.E.G. (Digital Entertainment Group) - a mini insert saying don't purchase bootlegs, buy the real thing.

- - -

Nearly all the major stores had an exclusive for this motion picture. In the end, I bought this movie three times over. I can't recall if I made my money back on Ebay, selling the extra copies.

Okay. I have zero bonus screen snaps. Why? None of the exclusive DVDs have menus, all of them have single featurettes which auto play upon insertion. Sorry.

That being said; "The Descent" came onto home video on December 26th, 2006. Best Buy offered the bonus disc titled "A Special Breed Of Effects And Actors", this has a run time of 11:50 minutes. This $16.99 set was housed in a two disc DVD case.

- - -

Next up was Circuit City, their bonus disc was titled "Creating An Underground World". This too came in a two disc DVD case. It has a run time of 9:57 minutes. It should be mentioned that their $16.99 exclusive did not come with a booklet just that D.E.G. note.

- - -

Lastly we have Wal-Mart, their bonus disc came inside of its own case. As with other exclusives from that time; bonus discs were omitted from widescreen editions. If you wanted it, you HAD to buy full screen. Friggin' retarded. I did learn much later that there was an exception, Sam's Club sold the set with widecreen.

This was packed side by side with the movie, priced at $18.99. Their featurette was titled "The Fine, Fearless And Feisty" and ran for 9:33 minutes. Researching, I discovered that this set is still available on Wal-Mart's website, now for $19.96. Is that full or wide? I read nothing on presentation. I'm gonna guess it's still full.

- - - - - - - - - -

Spoilers.

The movie is five years old. Most have already seen it so I'm not going to make this a mouse over.

There seems to be confusion over the ending; why did Sarah (Shauna MacDonald) stab Juno (Natalie Jackson Mendoza) in the knee? The answer, or rather the main reason is subtle at the start.

During the Crawler attack, Juno accidentally stabs Beth (Alex Reid) in the neck. Rather than trying to help her, she bolts. Leaving her friend to die alone as a meal for the subterranean creatures, but not before grasping and removing Juno's necklace. Later in the feeding pit, Sarah finds the mortally wounded Beth; barely able to speak.

Beth says to Sarah: "It was Juno's. Paul gave it to her." The necklace has an engraving, 'Love every day'. It's something her husband always used to say.

Juno was having an affair with Paul (Oliver Milburn). Before at the cabin, Juno apologizes to Sarah for not being there when he died: "We all lost something in that accident." After he died, Juno completely cut off all contact with Sarah. Now that comment has a different weight. Plus when she walked by her (at the cabin), Juno clutches the necklace, not allowing the engraving to be seen.

Just before the fatal car crash (flashback), Paul was somewhat distant, not playing attention; something was on his mind. It resulted in his death and the death of their daughter, Jessica (Molly Kayll).

The tally. Juno cheated with Sarah's husband and inadvertly killed her friend's partner and child. Juno was the one who got them into this cave mess in the first place, she picked a location where no help would ever come. Juno accidentally killed Beth, but didn't fess up to it when asked - she lied: "watched her die."

Juno's excursion ended up killing ALL of Sarah friends, her last bastion of sanity. In sort, stabbing Juno and leaving her to die to the horde was karma. And remember, Juno's expression after being impaled wasn't that of pain, but sorrow. Watch it. She knows that Sarah knows.

There was another reason... because of Juno's actions, Sarah had to kill her BFF (Beth remained when Paul died, helping her through her darkest time) to end her suffering. That's messed up.

Some food for thought. Sarah knew the way out. She found the chalk arrows (marking the direction they came in) from the pervious doomed expedition, but instead went in the opposite direction... to find Juno. Monsters in the dark be damned, revenge.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This movie registered on mainstream's radar and is known by a good chuck of genre fans. But Marshall (director) had done another horror feature before "The Descent"... the 2002 motion picture, "Dog Soldiers". In short, werewolfs, but none of that "Twilight" bullshit - nasty, mean and oh so very hungry.

A British military unit on a training operation in the Highlands of Scotland find themselves targeted by supernatural beasts. Their rival team is slaughtered. Can they survive to dawn? This turned out - as you hoped, bad ass. Gory and smart. Seek it out. Be aware, the newer DVD is bare bones. The first pressing has special features (commentary, making-of featurette and trailer); Artisan Home Entertainment, 2003. Bought mine from Circuit City many moons ago.

A few years back Best Buy had an exclusive steelbook case for it, but this was for the bare bones version.

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 04:12 AM..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Target - November 22nd, 2011

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs (more available unlisted)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Stone
Charlie St. Cloud
Night At The Museum
Chugginton: Lets Ride The Rails

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs (more available unlisted)

Love & Other Drugs
Social Network
The King's Speech

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

- - - - - - - - - - -

Meet The Browns: Season 3 $19.99
Gilmore Girls: Seasons 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 $7.99 (each)
Friends: Seasons 1 - 10 $7.99 (each)
Nip/Tuck: Seasons 1, 4, 5 or 6 $7.99 (each)
The Office: Seasons 1 - 6 $9.99 (each)
Entourage: Seasons 1 - 7 $9.99 (each)
Burn Notice: Seasons 1 - 3 $9.99 (each)
NCIS: Seasons 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Britney Spears - Femme Fatale" available on the 21st

- - - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Mary J. Blige - My Life II - The Journey Continues, Act 1" with exclusive bonus tracks or basic $9.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD/DVD set

"Britney Spears Live - The Femme Fatale Tour" with bonus CD; available on the 21st

- - - - - - - - - - -

$22.99 CD/DVD set

"Talyor Swift - Speak Now World Tour Live" CD with DVD; free $5.00 gift card; available on the 21st

I'll pass Tuesday and focus my money on Black Friday - I'm makin' lists. I'll pick up "Super 8" ($16.99 - DVD) at a future date. I'm in no hurry.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-20-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Best Buy - November 22nd, 2011

UFC: Ultimate Fight Collection - 2011 Edition
Exclusive store release $79.99

Lady Gaga: The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden
Exclusive Blu-Ray release $19.99

Taylor Swift: Speak Now World Tour Live
Exclusive Blu-Ray release $19.99

Taylor Swift: Journey To Fearless (relist)
Exclusive Blu-Ray release $16.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$3.99 DVDs

August Rush
Batman Begins
The Departed
Wedding Crashers: Unrated
The Green Mile (looks like the cardboard snapper case)
Free Willy: Escape From Pirate's Cove

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVD

The Tourist $7.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Paul
Rio
X Men: First Class
Bride Maids: Unrated
Battle Los Angeles

- - - - - - - - - - -

$10.99 DVD

Rango

- - - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 DVDs

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (DVD only)
The Lion King
Cars 2
Taylor Swift: Journey To Fearless

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Lady Gaga: The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2

- - - - - - - - - - -

Doctor Who: Season 6 $54.99
Married With Children: The Complete Series $29.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series $69.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series $89.99
Nip/Tuck: The Complete Series $89.99
The Pacific/Band Of Brothers set $89.99
House M.D.: Season 6 $12.99
Eureka: Season 4.0 $12.99
Gossip Girl: Seasons 1 - 3 $12.99 (each)
Burn Notice: Season 4 $12.99
Criminal Minds: Seasons 1 - 5 $14.99 (each)
NCIS: Seasons 1 - 6 $14.99 (each)
Modern Family: Season 1 $18.99
The Walking Dead: Season 1 $18.99 (2nd better release)
The Wire: Seasons 1 -5 $18.99 (each)
The Office: Season 7 $24.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

Sony DVD player (DVPSR200P/B) $39.97 with any two DVDs below

Takers
The Other Guys
Stuart Little 3
How Do You Know
Salt
Hachi

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CDs

"Chris Cornell - Songbook" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks
"Yelawolf - Radioactive" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 CD/DVD set

"Talyor Swift - Speak Now World Tour Live" CD with DVD

- - - - - - - - - - -

$21.99 CD

"The Rolling Stones: Some Girls Deluxe Edition" exclusive two disc set or $29.99 with t-shirt

Pass. Sure. If you're curious "Super 8" is priced $17.99 (DVD) here.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-20-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Past Tense

This week we become spare parts on Michael Bay's "The Island"...

The motion picture opened on July 22nd, 2005. It was made with a budget of $122,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 35 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts. The film opened number four at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory", "The Devil's Rejects", "Wedding Crashers" and "War Of The Worlds" (remake).

This release was case only, there was an insert, a coupon one. Save $3.00 on "Saving Private Ryan: D-Day 40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition", "Gladiator: Extended Edition" or "Minority Report" (from November 28th, 2005 to January 31st, 2006). Also save $3.00 on "War Of The Worlds" (remake; from November 22nd, 2005 to January 31st, 2006).

- - -

There was a single exclusive and it was from Wal-Mart, a bonus disc in its own case (packed side by side with the movie). This set streeted on December 13th, 2005 and sold for $19.96. The bonus disc has a run time of 21:09 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was talk before the theatrical release about Scarlett Johansson's breasts. The film's poster, modified the star's already ample cleavage. The newer - larger, digital bosoms almost caused the actress to have a car crash.
Quote:
I was driving through Los Angeles and I look up and see the biggest photo of me I have ever seen in my life on a massive ad space. I screamed and slammed on the brakes. I couldn't believe it. It's very strange to see my cleavage the size of a brontosaurus. My breasts were huge. I had long hair and my goodness, I couldn't get past the cleavage.
- Scarlett Johansson

Too bad, Johansson was to do a topless scene, but that got pulled for a PG-13 rating. We all lost here, should've been an R, hard R.

There should be some mention that there was a lawsuit over copyright infringement. "The Island" is a rip-off of 1979 motion picture, "Parts: The Clonus Horror". DreamWorks reached a settlement, an unknown amount; terms remain sealed.

And more recently it became known that footage (car blowning up on a freeway) from "The Island" was recycled (with additional explosions and CGI robots) for Bay's 2011 film, "Transformers: Dark Of The Moon".

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

As some of you may know, the 1990 motion picture "I Come In Peace" (a.k.a. "Dark Angel") was recently released on home video. The sad part, beyond being bare bones is that this is a DVD-R; M.O.D. (manufactured on demand). Granted it's an official DVD-R.

Anyhow last week I discovered something, something awesome - at least it was for me. I saw this feature on opening day. I was in high school at the time (senior) and after my last class, went to the theater. I had a great time, good popcorn flick. As far as I can tell a soundtrack wasn't released. There was a song I wanted, but couldn't get. The tune playing when the female mechanic is assaulted.

When I read about the video release, it popped in my head again. That song. Did some searching on IMDb, the name is "Maggy" by the group XYZ. Another one popped; I wonder if Amazon has that song for sale? A minute or so later... yes, $0.99.

Downloaded it (267bits VBR). Hell yeah! Something I've been wanting for twenty-one years, I now have. Awesome.

Sorry. A good portion of you may not know what I'm talking about. The film is about a Houston, Texas vice cop (played by Dolph Lundgren) trying to stop a crime boss, Victor Manning (Sherman Howard) who's running drugs. On a sting hoping to nail Manning his partner is killed, but before our cop can try save his friend - all the men in the strip joint are found dead. It happened in mere seconds, the heroin gone. What happened? And how did it happen so fast?

Soon more bodies drop all over town. The autopsies reveals that heroin was injected into the victims and some kind of sharp object smashed into their skulls.

Long story short, Det. Jack Caine has a drug dealer to catch, an intergalactic one. An alien (Matthias Hues) has come to Earth to drain our brains; he is using the heroin to give his victims an overdose - then siphoning the endorphins the brain produces. This fluid is an illegal drug, known on his world as Barcee. If he escapes, he will tell others and Earth will be plundered.

This movie delivered what you expected; big explosions, car chases, cool toys and a menacing villain, plus excellent one-liners. Even though this came out in 1990, this should be considered an '80s action flick.

Incidentally this film was given an real DVD release in the U.K.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Very easy on the eyes, yes indeed; Scarlett Johansson as Jordan Two Delta.

Some believe this was the hottest Johansson ever looked. After "The Island" she changed her diet change and lost some pounds, among the weight loss was her breasts. I'm on the fence here.

Have a safe and is possible, enjoyable Thanksgiving. And may your Black Friday hunts be prosperous.

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 04:06 AM..
Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Target - November 29th, 2011

Friends With Benefits
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD combo set with bonus disc $24.99

The Smurfs - available December 2nd
Exclusive Smurfette packaing Blu-Ray/DVD combo set $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Christmas Vacation
Elf

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

A Christmas Story
Burlesque
Just Go With It
Country Strong

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVD

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

- - - - - - - - - -

Smallville: The Complete Tenth Season $36.99
Smallville: The Complete Series $199.99
30 Rock: Season 5 $34.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

Adele Live At The Royal Albert Hall (CD/DVD set) [edited]

I'm gonna try to keep my wallet only semi-opened the next few weeks. I did far more Black Friday shopping than I expected.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Best Buy - November 29th, 2011

Smallville: The Complete Tenth Season
Exclusive Daily Planet t-shirt $42.99

Smallville: The Complete Series
Exclusive Clark Kent action figure $199.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

Disney's Very Merry Christmas Sing Along Songs

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Mickey's Christmas Carol
Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas

- - - - - - - - - -

Save six dollars if you buy both DVDs below on the same receipt...

Disney's Prep & Landing $14.99
Beauty And The Beast: The Enchanted Christmas $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Free theater voucher to see "The Muppets" with DVD purchase...

The Great Muppet Caper $11.99
The Muppet Movie $11.99
The Muppet Show: Season One Special Edition $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Smallville: The Complete Tenth Season $38.99
30 Rock: Season 5 $32.99
The Santa Clause 3 Movie Collection (The Santa Clause, Santa Clause 2, Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause) $24.99
The Tudors: The Complete Series $49.99
Planet Earth Limited Edition $54.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series $89.99
Six Feet Under: The Complete Series $89.99
The Wire: The Complete Series $109.99
Sex And The City: The Complete Series $119.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 CD

"Various Artists: A Very Special Christmas 1 & 2" with exclusive Limited Edition Ornament

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

Adele Live At The Royal Albert Hall (CD/DVD set) [edited]

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 CD

"Le'Andria Johnson - Christmas Best" exclusive store release

No listing for "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil" nor "Chillerama: Unrated". *shrugs* I did however look at their website. "Tucker & Dale" has a price tag of $14.99. "Chillerama" will go for $24.99. But will either of them be in store?

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-27-2011 at 06:22 AM..
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Past Tense

This week's we venture into "Elizabethtown"...

The motion picture opened on October 14th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $57,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 26 million during its U.S. theatrical run. When including foreign receipts, it still bombed. The film opened number three at the box office, the following week it dropped to number six.

The feature opened against "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride", "Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit", "A History Of Violence" and "The Fog" (remake).

This release was case only, no slipcover issued, nor insert (booklet/chapter listing/advertisement).

- - -

There were two exclusives for this film, both of them from Best Buy, which is pretty cool since as I wrote, the movie bombed.

The first was a pre-release, promo disc. This came in a printed cardboard sleeve. It was available free. I could not find it at my store, I went twice. Nope they didn't get it in.

Above is the store ad. I was finally able to get my copy off Ebay in January of last year. Anyhow, this was made available on October 9th, 2005 (if you could find it). The promo has a run time of 19:34 minutes.

Inside the sleeve are two mini squares, discounts.

The first was a coupon for $2.00 off the CD sountrack. The offer was valid from October 9th - 22nd, 2005.

The second was a DVD coupon; $5.00 off "Vanilla Sky", "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days", "The Prince & Me", "Pretty In Pink", "Grease", "Breakfast At Tiffany's", "An Officer And A Gentleman", "Love Story", "Sliding Doors" and "Save The Last Dance". This offer was valid from October 1st - 31st, 2005.

The flap on the sleeve had a contest, "Create The Elizabethtown Ultimate Road Trip Playlist And You May Win A Trip To NYC!" Oh joy. The contest was through a weblink at Best Buy. If you submitted twelve songs for this factious roadtrip you could go to New York to appear with writer/director Cameron Crowe on VH1 Classic Celebrity Jukebox. Twenty-five finalists got a $100.00 Best Buy gift card, "Elizabethtown" gift pack (whatever that was) and a copy of the CD soundtrack. The contest expired October 30th, 2005.

- - -

The second exclusive accompanied the DVD when it streeted on February 7th, 2006. There is no screen snap since there is no menu screen, it just plays. It's a 13:47 minute featurette titled "On The Road To Elizabethtown". This bonus disc came in a CD envelope. The limited time set sold for $16.99. I have mine inside a two disc case, inside is the cardboard sleeve (with DVD). I need to get one of those three disc cases; I used my last one on that Target exclusive set for "Robin Hood" (2010). Which is a good movie, but it should've been called something other than Robin Hood. There is an expectation with that name, people felt disappointed. It's an origin story, before the man became famous, before he did his deeds.

This film makes a great companion piece to "Garden State" (2004), which was released a year earlier. Good stuff.

Last edited by JohnIan; 05-29-2014 at 02:41 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Target - December 6th, 2011

Mr. Poppper's Penguins
Limited edition gift set (DVD with plush penguin) $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

The Smurfs $16.99
Conan (2011) $16.99

- - - - - - - - - -

The Simpsons: Season 14 $29.99
House M.D.: Season 7 $29.99
Big Love: Season 5 $39.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 2 $16.99
The Sons Of Anarchy: Season 3 $29.99
Dexter: Season 5 $29.99
True Blood: Season 3 $34.99
The Office: Season 7 $34.99
Damages: Seasons 1 & 2 pack $16.99
Tales From The Crypt: Seasons 1 & 2 pack $16.99
How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1 & 2 pack $29.99

Nothing for me this week. I do want "Cowboys & Aliens" ($16.99) and "The Help" ($16.99), but I'll wait until the prices drop to ten bucks or so.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Best Buy - December 6th, 2011

The Hangover Part II
Exclusive free tribal tattoo $14.99

Mr. Poppper's Penguins
Limited edition gift set (DVD with plush penguin) $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$3.99 DVD

The Departed

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Due Date
The Hangover: Unrated
Caddyshack
Dumb And Dumber/Dumb And Dumberer Double Feature
National Lampoon's Vacation
Man On Fire
Mrs. Doubtfire
Crocodile Dundee
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Cast Away
Road Trip
Thumbelina
(more titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

The Town
Home Alone: Family Fun Edition
Miracle On 34th Street

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.99 DVDs

127 Hours
Unstoppable
The Boondock Saints
Elf
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Lincoln Lawyer
The King's Speech
Planes, Trains And Automobiles

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Scre4m
Satan Buddies
A Christmas Carol (2009 CGI)
White Christmas
Randy Orton: The Evolution Of A Predator
WWE: Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Vs. Bret
WWE: Greatest Superstars Of The 21st Century

- - - - - - - - - -

$18.99 DVD

The Smurfs

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVD

The Original Christmas Classics (Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer/Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town/Frosty The Snowman/Frosty Returns/Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol/Little Drummer Boy/Cricket on the Hearth)
It's A Wonderful Life (2 disc set)

- - - - - - - - - -

The Simpsons: Season 14 $31.99
House M.D.: Season 7 $29.99
Band Of Brothers/The Pacific box set $89.99
Emergency: The Final Rescues $9.99
Remington Steel: Seasons Four & Five $9.99 set
The Three Stooges: Volume 6 $9.99
Galatica 1980: The Complete Series $9.99
Fresh Prince: Season 6 $11.99
The Bionic Woman: Season 2 $12.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 $24.99
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 6 $24.99
Community: Season 2 $19.99
Parenthood: Season 2 $19.99
The Cleveland Show: Season 2 $19.99
The League: Season 2 $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs

"Rap-A-Lot - 25th Anniversary Box Set" 3 CDs/DVD/tee shirt exclusive collection $32.99
"Chevelle - Hats Off to the Bull" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $9.99
"The Roots - Undun" with exclusive t-shirt $19.99

"Cowboys & Aliens" and "The Help" are selling for $17.99 and $16.99 each here. Later.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Past Tense

It's a mad house! Dirty apes paw at this week's exclusive, the remake of "Planet Of The Apes"...

The Tim Burton motion picture opened on July 27th, 2001. It was made with a budget of $100,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 362 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Jurassic Park III", "Legally Blonde", "The Fast And The Furious" and "Shrek".

When this two disc special edition set was originally released - it came in a common two disc case with a foil wrapaound. In 2003 it was repackaged as a digipack inside a cardboard slipcase.

There are three inserts. The first is a booklet showcasing the bonus content and chapters. The second is a mini ad brochure for other 20th Century Fox DVDs. Not going to list off the titles shown (20); other special editions and TV sets (including additional POTA titles). The third one, I will talk about in a moment.

- - -

The remake/re-imagining streeted on November 20th, 2001. There was one exclusive and it came from Best Buy, a bonus CD-ROM (inside a printed cardboard sleeve). This limited set sold for $15.99. As I understand, this was sealed with the DVD on the outside of the case. I could be wrong, my info is a bit fuzzy. The release came out before I started collecting DVDs, I was still buying laser discs at the time.

I have no screen snap of the main menu, the bonus is for Windows (I'm a Mac user). I had a hard time to accessing the videos since the media folder is invisible. I can't recall how I did it YEARS ago. What I do recall; I copied the disc onto my hard drive and booted OS 9 - from there I used a program to make them... visible. Then I had access. The thing is - I only took the interviews and desktops - for some bizarre reason, I don't take the making-of featurettes. So that material is stuck on this disc. *shrug*

The brief video interviews (less than two minutes) are with stars; Charlton Heston, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Paul Giamatti, Michael Clarke Duncan, Estella Warren (the role she was born to play) and Mark Wahlberg. Additional interviews with composer Danny Elfman, special makeup effects Rick Baker and director Tim Burton.

The CD-ROM has a gallery, desktop images, trailer, character bios, making-of featurettes and something called "The Forbidden Zone" (as listed on the back). And most likely an ad from AT&T, you see they sponsored the bonus disc.

Okay, this was the third insert (printed on cardstock). An explanation of WTF happened. Don't get all smiley, it still doesn't make sense. There's a big hole in this official exposition. They don't even know! This movie has the most stupidest ending in a long time. Timmy thought it would be fun to have an shocking ending for the sake of having a shocking ending. No real thought on how that would occur. Is he gonna pull a Simpsons and say 'a wizard did it'?

Anyhow, I have my bonus disc (inside the sleeve) in the case

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

The booklets for the regular case and digipack are different. The regular release had a two page insert. The digipack has a three page pull out pannel with additional artwork and more information on the special features.

There was a death in the production. Scenic artist, Paul Trachtenberg died while working on a floor-to-ceiling backdrop. He fell. This happend on October 30th, 2000.

On a more lighter note...

Bestiality!

Timmy boy wanted a love affair between our astronaut Captain Leo Davidson (Mark Wahlberg) and the chimp, Ari (Helena Bonham Carter). *shakes head* Allegedly there was a 'creative difference' on that subject with the studio, they won. Good. Who the hell wants to see that (minus the freaks)? By the way, Ari was suppose to be an ape princess. Whatever dude.

You know, this isn't the first time the idea has been dicked around. The last time was in '69. SIXTY-NINE! I so entertain myself. There was a make-up test on the first sequel, Beneath The Planet of the Apes (1970). The hybrid child was played by Tom Doran (above pix). It was part of the aborted ending. At one point they didn't want a shocker, the ending was very optimistic; apes and humans living in peace as equals. The bomb did go off, but not the planet killer that was shown in the final film.

My mind doesn't want to wrap itself around that concept. Ahhhh... ape sex. What does a female chimp's lady business look like? And NO I'm not Googling it (web search or dirty metaphor). Man, you people have your minds in the gutter.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I originally had the regular release, but rebought the movie to get the digipack version (on sale from Best Buy years ago). The re-release is far more fancy looking. *nods*

Anyhow, what saves the movie for me is the awesome ape make-up, done for real, not CGI. Rick Baker did an magnificent job. The other reason is the performance by Tim Roth the chimpanzee, General Thade (on the cover of the exclusive). That's one fracking scary monkey! He's evil. The best villains are the ones who do terrible, heinous things, but believe they're doing good.

What I would've liked is a Thade-like character in the 1974 TV series of the same name. The main antagonist, General Urko (Mark Lenard) was too stupid/goofy, not serious enough. If he had, that would've been badass.

Estella Warren was nice to look at as Daena. I'll be honest, she doesn't really do it for me. I suppose she fits the bill; pretty, but not too pretty.

I'm not being mean - they needed a human love interest for Davidson and there she is. The first incarnation of 'the girl' was just right (original flick [1968]).

Nova played by Linda Harrison straddled the trope by being hot and not too hot. It's what pops in your head; what an attractive cave girl should look like. A nod to Raquel Welch as the primitive girl in "One Million Year B.C." (1967), but that went a bit over the top.

A bit of trivia. Harrison had roles in several Apes movies - including this remake.

"Planet Of The Apes" (1968) - Nova
"Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" (1970) - Nova
"Escape From The Planet Of The Apes" (1971) - Postal Letter Carrier (uncredited)
"Planet Of The Apes" (2001) - [Old Human] Woman In Cart

Anyhow besides the weak story and lame ending, I didn't care for the future technology. Yeah, I get that they were going for a minimalist design, but it looks so cheap. C'mon, the space station Oberon looks just like the Trade Federation station from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999). Like they ran out money to do any modeling and pulled the prop out of storage; 'good enough'. Plus the shuttle pod feels so amateurish, there's no texture to it, like a toy from the 99 Cents Only store. I could do a better job.

I will give credit to composer Danny Elfman; the score sounds so different, unique - in a good way. Excellent job on a bad movie. I own the CD soundtrack.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Three weeks ago I was at Barnes & Noble, browsing through the sci-fi books. And I found something that has me so very curious. The reviews have been almost overwhelmingly postiive. I will own this. I'm waiting for a better price on Ebay. What am I talking about? I'm talking about novel, "Conspiracy Of The Planet Of The Apes".

Quote:
After his spacecraft smashes into a dead sea of a seemingly alien planet, a man is separated from his fellow astronauts when a raiding party of intelligent apes attacks them. Captured, he finds himself a prisoner in a world turned upside down, with apes as the rulers and man in its zoos. His only hope is to communicate with a couple of chimpanzees who just might be open minded and compassionate enough to be sympathetic to his cause. But the man called John Landon will discover that intelligent minds, be they ape or man, all fear the unknown, and his destiny is not to become part of this new world... but instead to find himself under the knife of a simian brain surgeon on the Planet Of The Apes.
- back cover

*jaw agape*

This is an official book written by Andrew "Drew" E. C. Gaska, not some fan fiction. The somber continuity tale is published by Archaia Entertainment (272 pages) and came out in August of this year. Available in softback and hardcover. Add to the mix, the book is beautifully illustrated by over 50 top artists. It's really nice!

This fills in the plot holes of how the chimp, Dr. Milo (Sal Mineo) retreived the sunken Icarus and made it flightworthy. He had help from Landon (Robert Gunner)! And the events going into the conclusion of Beneath The Planet of the Apes. It makes sense, there is an undisclosed amount of time in between Col. George Taylor (Charlton Heston) having ape surgery to remove the bullet in his throat to where he speaks again (healed). That could've been weeks.

Weeks.
Quote:
Dr. Milo is the chimpanzee who managed to fix Taylor’s ship and get himself, Cornelius, and Zira back in time to 1973 during the third film, Escape From The Planet Of The Apes, only to meet an untimely demise at a zoo, of all places. His character has begged for extrapolation from the beginning. He was clearly introduced in Escape in order to get Cornelius and Zira back in time, but a science ape of his level of genius must have had a story to tell, not the least of which was how he found Taylor and Landon’s ship, and fixed it up enough to get it back in the air.

Astronaut John Landon is the guy who gets all the bad breaks. He signed up for a mission that he didn’t really understand, gets ridden by Taylor during a ruthless trek through the desert, is beaten up by apes and lobotomized. His story is going to make it clear just how lucky Taylor was to have found allies in Cornelius and Zira.

General Ursus, an ape of some power who was important to Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, was absent from the first film. You will find he was involved with aspects of Conspiracy while the cameras were rolling elsewhere in Ape City.

Chief Marcus was originally supposed to be an integral part of the original movie, but was mostly cut out. The most information fans have had on him to date comes form a movie poster showing the gorilla and saying “This is Marcus. His specialties are violence and torture.” In Conspiracy you will find out that the chief is also a family ape, and a loving and caring father.

Dr. Galen, the surgeon who fixed Taylor’s throat and argued with Zira in the original film, is a major antagonist, as is Dr. Zaius.
- Drew Gaska (interview with Horror Comic Book News, 2011)

This makes the conversation between Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) and Taylor after his trial (first film) very different. He was dealing with yet another astro-naut.

There is a second 'what-if' book in the works by the author that is expected in the latter part of 2013. This will be about Col. Taylor; the missing time where he was kidnapped/separated from Nova (Linda Harrison) in Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. What happened to him? Where does Brent (James Franciscus) fit in all of this? I wanna know. More books could follow, maybe. It all depends on how these sell.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Eggs.

A brief look at the feature from a monkey's perspective.

Disc 1 -> Special Features -> Commentaries -> highlight "Back" press up; highlight ape - ENTER.

- - -

Estella Warren first audition video.

Disc 1 -> Special Features -> Cast & Crew Profiles -> Cast -> Estella Warren -> highlight "Return" press up; highlight 'Play Icon' - ENTER.

- - -

Erick Avari first audition video.

Disc 1 -> Special Features -> Cast & Crew Profiles -> Cast -> Erick Avari -> highlight "Return" press up; highlight 'Play Icon' - ENTER.

- - -

Luke Eberl first audition video.

Disc 1 -> Special Features -> Cast & Crew Profiles -> Cast -> Luke Eberl -> highlight "Return" press up; highlight 'Play Icon' - ENTER.

- - -

DVD Production Credits.

Disc 1 -> Language Selection -> highlight "Resume Film" press right; highlight ape helmet - ENTER.

- - -

One last thing before I put this monkey to bed. No, not like that. Pervs.

There is a great compendium on all the ape movies and the two TV series (live action and cartoon Return To The Planet Of The Apes [1975]). Plus some mention of the then upcoming Tim Burton reboot. The book is called "Planet Of The Apes Revisited: The Behind-The-Scenes Story Of The Classic Science Fiction Saga" by Joe Russo, Larry Landsman and Edward Gross. The softback was published in 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin, 320 pages. I own this. It's a good read; how things almost went and the hard road to get the movie made in the first place. My only complaint is some of the installments are barely mentioned. I wanted more details. Oh well.

- - -

December 23rd, 2014 Update...

Expanded my comments with images and added easter eggs.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-23-2014 at 02:36 AM..
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Target - December 13th, 2011

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Seven Pounds
Baby Mama
Wyatt Earp
Curious George: Sails With The Pirates

- - - - - - - - - - -

$5.00 DVDs

Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

It's Complicated
Coaline
The Backup Plan
Sex And The City 2
The Princess Bride
Marley & Me
The Notebook
Twilight
The Dark Knight

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Home Alone: Family Fun Edition
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Elf

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Search For Santa Paws
Santa Buddies: The Legend Of Santa Paws
Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
The King's Speech
Battle Los Angeles
Hall Pass: Enlarged Edition
Little Fockers
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never

- - - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 DVD

Britney Spears Live: The Femme Fatale Tour

- - - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (2002 version)
It's A Wonderful Life (two disc set)
Barbie: A Perfect Christmas

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Horrible Bosses
X-Men: First Class
Fast Five
Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
True Grit (2010)
Spy Kids 4: All The Time In The World
Ratatouille
Up
Rio
Black Swan
Bad Tearcher

- - - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

John Wayne Collection
The Three Stooges: Collector's Edition

- - - - - - - - - - -

Family Guy: Volume 9 $24.99
Sex And The City: The Complete Series $79.99
Band Of Brothers $29.99
The Pacific $39.99
Band Of Brothers/The Pacific gift set $79.99
Friends: The Complete Series $99.99
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series $99.99
John Adams $19.99
Planet Earth: Special Edition $24.99
The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration $24.99
Harry Potter Complete Gift Set $49.99

I'm not going here this week. I see two titles I want, but I'll wait until they hit ten dollars or less. Don't give a crap, call me cheap. But both are not high priority to own now. The "Fright Night" remake (which does not have a DVD only listing in the ad) and "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" ($16.99).
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Best Buy - December 13th, 2011

Kung Fu Panda Collection
Free Po plush toy $22.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$3.99 DVDs

Training Day
Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring
Watchmen
Mortal Kombat
Million Dollar Baby
Heat
The Notebook
A Cinderella Story
(thirty other titles also available)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Brides Maids
X-Men: First Class
Change-up
Batman: Year One

- - - - - - - - - - -

Purchase Sony's DVPSR200P/B (SKU: 9028054) DVD player $39.97 and get any two DVDs...

Eat Prey Love
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
The Green Hornet
The Tourist
Grown Ups
Country Strong

- - - - - - - - - - -

Family Guy: Volume 9 $27.99 (save $10.00 with purchase of any previous volumes)
Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5 $7.99
Burn Notice: Season 1 $14.99
The Ghost Whisperer: Season 5 $
Charmed: Season 7 $14.99
Eureka: Season 4 $14.99
Friday Night Lights: Season 5 $14.99
Justified: Season 1 $14.99
Family Guy: Volume 8 or 9 $27.99 (each)
Bones: Season 6 $29.99
The Office: Season 7 $29.99
Modern Family: Season
Rescue Me: Season 6 $19.99
Rescue Me: Season 5 $12.99
Camelot: Season 1 $19.99
Breaking Bad: Season 3 $19.99
Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena $19.99
Spartacus: Blood And Sand $19.99
The Walking Dead: Season 1 $19.99 (I want to say the second better re-release)
Planet Of The Apes: The Legacy Collection $29.99

Same thing, my wallet will be shut; "Fright Night" ($17.99) and "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" ($16.99).
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Past Tense

This week we get a shiny horn, slay a disagreeable dragon and get seduced by a water witch in "Beowulf"...

The motion picture opened on November 18th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $150,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $82 million during its U.S. theatrical run. When including foreign receipts, it made over $196 million (it made way more overseas). The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Saw IV", "American Gangster", "No Country For Old Men" and "Fred Claus".

For the intent of this post, I'm only covering the "Unrated Director's Cut". There was a theatrical edition which came out that same date. The UDC did not come with any inserts.

- - -

The film streeted on home video, February 26th, 2008, there were many exclusives. I bought the DVD twice over, sold the extra copy on Ebay. I think I came close to breaking even.

Circuit City had two internet based videos; featurettes, "Bringing The Dragon To Life" (26.37mb) and "Channeling The Human Sound Machine" (22.67mb), both of them FLVs. Took awhile for me to figure out how to download them (they were not meant for download). *grin* They also had some mobil content; ringtone and wallpaper. This edition sold for $13.99.

The thing is - you had to be careful or you blew your exclusive. The web address for content wasn't written inside the case. Nope. It was on the back of the sticker which was on the plastic wrapping. I almost threw mine way at the time. I wonder how many people did just that.

"Bringing The Dragon To Life" 4:44 - a look at the creating the dragon from concept art to CGI rendering, key frame animated. "Channeling The Human Sound Machine" 4:03 - a look at the people who create the sound effects, from screams, dragon growls to the wind and surf. Real people making the sounds with their mouths.

Holy crap!!!

Circuit City's exclusive site is still alive... click here! It's now a lot easier to download them then it was for me back in '08. Should you want - use NetVideoHunter an extension for FireFox. Very cool, I'm glad it's still alive for all those who missed out at the time.

- - -

FYE/Suncoast had an exclusive steelbook case on that date, $19.99. Image from fellow enthusiast, William Lee. I don't have this. Don't know if I want to pursue it.

- - -

Target offered an exclusive mini, twenty-six page comic book which came inside the case. This set sold for $16.99. It retold the opening, up to second attack at the Mead Hall by Grendel. It was a sampler, part of a bigger official comic book adapation. It was released by IDW Publishing; written by Chris Ryall with art by Gabriel Rodriguez. I have this.

- - -

Wal-Mart also had their own exclusive that day which I did not pick up. A video game sampler, "Beowulf: The Game" (PC DVD-ROM), based on the movie - packed side by side with the UDC. The two disc set sold for $19.96. The exclusive is still available on their website for... the same price, three years later.

- - -

There was a misprint advertised in Best Buy, a two disc set - there never was. They did offer free 3D trading cards; attached to theatrical DVD ($14.99) and HD-DVD ($29.99) versions. I believe the reason I didn't pick this up (trading cards) was because it wasn't a true excluisve. It was a promo set for a larger collection. The same thing happened at Circuit Cityt with one of the seasons of "Heroes", a promo set from Topps. I passed on that too.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

When this release first came out there was no slipcover. On September 15th, the following year, the movie was re-released with a lenticular one. I have that, acquired from Best Buy. It's two 3D images, the second one is from Beowulf's dream, the demonic Wealthow (Robin Wright).

- - -

There is something I found out while researching this post. The body you see on the water witch/succubus isn't Angelina Jolie. Yes, I know it's CGI. What I mean, it's not based on HER body.

Here are two images of her in the motion capture (MoCap) suit. She was three months pregnant when she played her role (two days of filming). It's been noted that everyone's CGI counterpart was altered; Ray Winstone who plays Beowulf was made to look as he was in his early twenties and so on.

There is an uncredited role listed on IMDb. Model Rachel Bernstein was Jolie's body double for nude scenes. Huh? Her whole part was nude, covered with moving strategic golden skin.

Unless I'm mistaken - that means the body you see is actually Bernstein's with Jolie's head and MoCap performance. Interesting. I found it very odd that none of the extras cover Jolie in her MoCap suit, nor any stills. Maybe it was because she was showing and it wasn't very flattering. And because having it known that the body wasn't based on her would break the illusion - the box office draw of seeing a virtual, almost-nude Angelina Jolie.

So who is Ms. Bernstein? She's a model, actress, producer and make-up artist. You've probably seen pictures of her, she appears frequently in lingerie and club wear inside the page of the Flirt! catalog and on their website. She has also done ads for Reebok, Adidas, Paul Mitchell, Ed Hardy, Nike and True Religion Swimwear to name a few. She's very beautiful. Nicely done Zemeckis.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-28-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 12-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Target - December 20th, 2001

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Great Cinema: 15 Films (The Last Time I Saw Paris/The Snows Of Kilamanjaro/The Jungle Book/Anna Karenina/Of Human Bondage/Little Men/Huck Finn/A Connecticut Yankee/Legend Of The Sea Wolf/Call Of The Wild/David Copperfield/Cyrano De Bergerac/Jane Eyre/Anna Karenina/Tale Of Two Cities)
The Sandlot
Walk The Line
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2
Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Rudolph: The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Sherk The Halls
Frosty Friends

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.99 DVDs

4 Film Favorites: Dirty Harry Collection (Dirty Harry/Magnum Force/The Enforcer/Sudden Impact)
4 Film Favorites: Nicholas Sparks Romances (Nights In Rodanthe/Message In A Bottle/A Walk To Remember/The Notebook)
Four Film Favorites: Ocean's Collection (Ocean's Eleven 2001/Ocean's Twelve/Ocean's Thirteen/Ocean's Eleven 1960)
Batman Collection: Four Film Favorites (Batman/Batman Returns/Batman Forever/Batman & Robin)
4 Film Favorites: Ice Cube Collection (Friday/Next Friday/Friday After Next/All About The Benjamins)

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas: Delxue Edition (animated)

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs (yes, one penny more)

Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps
Social Network
Inception
Faster
Country Strong
Letters To Juilet
Eat Prey Love

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 DVDs

Brides Maids: Unrated
Kung Fu Panda 2
Super 8
(additional titles available)

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs - save $5.00 if both puchase on the same receipt

Colombina
Straw Dogs

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Green Lantern
Thor
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
Captain America
Cars 2
Dumbo: 70th Anniversary
Lion King: Diamond Edition
Santa's Magical Stories (Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas/The Year Without A Santa Claus/Jack Frost)
The Original Christmas Classics (Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer/Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town/Frosty The Snowman/Frosty Returns/Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol/Little Drummer Boy/Cricket On The Hearth)
(additional titles available)

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVD

Peanuts Holiday Collection Deluxe Edition (It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown/A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving/A Charlie Brown Christmas)

- - - - - - - - - -

One Hill Three: Season 8 $36.99
Futurama: Volume 6 $19.99
Heroes: Season 4 $8.99
Bethanny Ever After: Season 2 $12.99
The Kennedys $16.99
Two And A Half Men: Season 8 $16.99
Big Bang Theory: Season 4 $19.99
Supernatural: Season 6 $19.99
Breaking Bad: Season 3 $19.99
The Simpsons: Season 14 $24.99
Glee: Season 2 $24.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 2 $24.99
Chuck: Season 4 $24.99
Bones: Season 6 $24.99
Modern Family: Season 2 $24.99
NCIS: Season 8 $24.99
Family Guy: Volume 9 $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 CD set

"Adele - Live At The Royal Albert Hall" CD/DVD

Might pick up "Super 8" for that price. What I'm not seeing is any sale price for "Easy A". Thinking about giving it as a Christmas gift. It's a good flick, check it out if you haven't.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Best Buy - December 20th, 2001

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Caddyshack
Dumb & Dumber/Dumb & Dumberer double feature
National Lampoon's Vaction
Thumbelina
Man On Fire
Mrs. Doubtfire
Crocodile Dundee
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Cast Away
Road Trip
Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Green Lantern
Crazy Stupid Love
Horrible Bosses
Something Borrowed
Love & Other Drugs
Rango
Machette
SpongeBob Squarepants: Christmas

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVD

Rudolph: The Red-Nosed Reindeer

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Cars 2
Lion King: Diamond Edition
The Muppets: Christmas Carol
It's A Wonderful Life: Two Disc Set
A Charlie Brown Christmas

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVD

- - - - - - - - - -

-50% Off All HBO TV box sets/Get a $10.00 giftcard when you buy 3 (or more) HBO series or miniseries-

True Blood: Seasons 1 or 2 $23.49 (each - discount already applied)
True Blood: Season 3 $24.99 (discount already applied)
Eastbound & Down: Seasons 1 or 2 $12.49 (each - discount already applied)
Entourage: Seasons 1 - 7 $14.99 (each - discount already applied)
Curb Your Enthusiam: Seasons 1 - 7 $17.49 (each - discount already applied)
The Wire: Seasons 1 - 5 $19.99 (each - discount already applied)
Sex And The City: Seasons 1, 6 P1 or 6 P2 $11.49 (each - discount already applied)
Rome: Seasons 1 or 2 $19.99 (discount already applied)
Deadwood: Seasons 1 - 3 $19.99 (each - discount already applied)
Bored To Death: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each - discount already applied)
Band Of Brothers $27.49 (discount already applied)
John Adams $23.49 (discount already applied)
The Pacific $27.99 (discount already applied)

- - - - - - - - - -

Futurama: Volume 6 $19.99 (save $10.00 when you buy V6 with any previous volumes - must be on the same receipt)
One Hill Three: Season 8 $37.99
Daria: The Compete Series $24.99
Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection $49.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series $59.99
Dawson's Creek: The Complete Series $29.99
Married With Children: The Complete Series $29.99
Nip/Tuck: The Complete Series $79.99
Friends: The Complete Series $109.99
The West Wing: The Complete Series $109.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD set

"Justin Beiber - Under The Mistletoe - deluxe edition" CD/DVD

- - - - - - - - - -

$22.99 CD set

"TM - 103 Hustlerz Ambition - deluxe edition" CD/DVD

There is squat I want here. I'm glad they have some good deals, but either I already own it or I'll hold out for a cheaper price ("Cars 2" I'm looking at you). Well, maybe "Colombiana", but not for $17.99.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Wal-Mart - December 2nd, 2011

Friends With Benefits
Exclusive DVD/CD soundtrack gift set

(yes, this is a late entry)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Past Tense

This week we go anti-Christmas with a guy who want more than gifts under his tree in "Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon"...

The motion picture opened in limited release (seventy-two screens) on March 16th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $800,000 (estimated) and grossed over $69 thousand during its U.S. theatrical run. There are no foreign box office numbers. This bombed, but not as hard as some mega Hollywood features. The film opened at number fifty-three, the following week it dropped to number eighty-five.

The feature opened against "Dead Silence", "300", "Bridge To Terabithia" and "Ghost Rider".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcover which was different from the case's wraparound. The first image is the slipcover (above left). There was an insert, a chapter listing (sixteen of them) - the other side was film's poster. The mask on the slipcover is actually a flap. Under the flap, the image mirrors the DVD case's. Inside that flap is six quotes from the New York Times, Washington Post, Ain't It Cool News, Film Threat, Entertainment Today and the Los Angeles Times praising the film.

- - -

There was a single exclusive when the DVD streeted on June 26th, 2007; a bonus disc from former retail giant Circuit City. This set sold for $19.99. It came in a two disc case. There is no menu screen it just plays, a total of 21:50 minutes.

First is 17:30 are trailers and home video ads from Anchor Bay Entertainment; "Phantasm", "Masters Of Horror: Family", "Masters Of Horror: Right To Die", "Masters Of Horror: The Screwfly Solution", "H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Animator", "Dark Corners", "Phantasm III", "Masters Of Horror: The Black Cat" and "Hatchet".

The last 4:20 is a behind-the-scenes look and preview of "Hatchet" featuring an interview with writer/director Adam Green.

- - - - - - - - - -

Review.

Okay. This may be a film, unknown by some of you. It's a horror flick, an intelligent one that plays with the common clichés that plauge the genre.

It is a mockumentary and a funny one too.

This is about a serial killer in the making; his training, picking victims and subsequent murder spree. Leslie Vernon has given permission to a documentary crew and interviewer (grad school students) to record his reign of terror over the town of Glen Echo. It's all fun and games at first, but the man is dead serious. You see, this film takes place in the same universe where Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Chucky and Michael Myers are REAL. Vernon wants his name said in the same frightened breath as these giants.
Quote:
I'm not talking about the guys who really worked hard - like J, Fred, Mike. There weren't nobody like them in the early years. We just hit hard and wiped everybody out. And disappeared as soon as we could without ever giving thought about coming back. Those boys lifted it to a whole another level, they made an art form out it. Turned themselves into legends by returning like a curse, over and over again. That was a radical change of philosophy, change the whole business.
- Eugene

I would call it as original as the first "Scream" was in 1996; could not tell what direction they were going, it surprised me. Vernon is this quirky man with such a dark streak. Sadly this is Zelda Rubinstein's last movie. She died in 2010. She went out on a high note.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Leslie Vernon gets a mention in another horror flick, Green's sequel "Hatchet II". From what I've read, they are close to finishing a deal to make "Behind The Mask 2". This is based off DVD sales. I hope that happens. And I hope its just as clever as the first.

As I understand this picks up a few years later with our interviewer trying to stop Vernon - the monster she made famous.

The film disc has a couple of easter eggs, deleted scenes; how he faked his head crush and an early look at his abandoned family farm house.

Extras -> Screenplay -> highlight "Extras", press right; highlight Blood Mask - ENTER.

Chapters -> 13-16 -> highlight "13-16", press up; highlight the Scythe - ENTER.

- - -

Have a good and cheerful Christmas. Don't drink and drive. Yeah, that's a cliché too, but a genuine warning.

Last edited by JohnIan; 10-06-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Old 12-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Target - December 27th, 2011

The Borgias: The First Season
Exclusive bonus disc $29.99

Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack with exclusive video $14.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.49 DVDs - additional titles in store

Twilight $4.49 (single disc)
The Notebook
Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!
The Hurt Locker

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs - additional titles in store

Bad Teacher
Water For Elephants

- - - - - - - - - - -

$12.00 DVD

Britney Spears Live: The Femme Fatale Tour

- - - - - - - - - - -

Shameless: Season 1 $39.99
The Walking Dead: Season 1 $9.99 (first pressing)
Entourage: Season 7 $9.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 2 $9.99
Parenthood: Season 2 $9.99
Weeds: Season 6 $9.99
Mad Men: Seasons 1 - 4 $9.99 (each)
Dexter: Season 5 $14.99
True Blood: Season 3 $14.99
Castle: Season 3 $14.99
The Office: Season 7 $14.99
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 6 $14.99
Psych: Season 5 $14.99
Gossip Girl: Season 4 $14.99
Glee: Season 2, Volumes 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 $14.99
Mike & Molly: Season 1 $14.99
Spartacus: Blood And Sand $14.99
House M.D.: Season 7 $14.99
True Blood: Seasons 1 or 2 $19.99 (each)
The Good Wife: Season 2 $19.99
Burn Notice: Season 4 $19.99
Smallville: Season 10 $19.99
(additional TV seasons on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$20.00 CD

"Taylor Swift - Speak Now World Tour Live" CD/DVD exclusive set

My goals this week is "Archer: Season 2" (no listing), "Final Destination 5" ($14.99 here) and "Apollo 18" ($17.99). I'm still on the fence on "The Borgias". I'll give it a look in person, might pick it up - maybe.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Best Buy - December 27th, 2011

Final Destination 5
Exclusive Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo set $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Final Destination
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3

- - - - - - - - - -

$5.99 DVDs

Twilight: New Moon (single disc)
Gran Torino
Fast & Furious
Due Date
There's Something About Mary
Rocky: 2 Disc Collector's Edition

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

The Other Guys: Unrated
Inception
The King's Speech
The Dark Knight (single disc)
127 Hours
Love & Other Drugs

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

The Lion King
Dumbo
Winnie The Pooh

- - - - - - - - - -

The Borgias: Season 1 $29.99
Shameless: Season 1 $27.99
Jersey Shore: Season 4 $14.99
Archer: Season 2 $19.99
Smallville: Seasons 1 - 10 $14.99 (each)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 6 $14.99
Fringe: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
Community: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
Parenthood: Season 2 $14.99
Chuck: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
The Mentalist: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
The Vampire Diaries: Season 1 $14.99
Mad Men: Season 3 $14.99
Weeds: Season 5 $14.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season 3 $18.99
House M.D.: Season 7 $18.99
Fringe: Season 3 $18.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 $18.99
Parks And Recreation: Season 3 $18.99
True Blood: Season 3 $24.99
NCIS: Los Angeles: Season 1 $24.99
The Office: Season 7 $24.99
Hawaii Five-0: Season 1 $24.99
The Good Wife: Season 2 $24.99
Criminal Minds: Season 6 $24.99

No listing for "Apollo 18", so I checked their website. It reads $19.99. "Final Destination 5" DVD will sell for $14.99.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Target - The Borgias: The First Season

Screen shots from the bonus disc...

Should be noted that there are NO real extras on the DVD set, this disc is 45 minutes long.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Past Tense

This week we get all moist and paranoid. Are you, you? Is your neighbor the same person you knew from yesterday? This outing we get an "Invasion"...

"Invasion: The Complete Series" was released on home video on August 22th, 2006. An ABC program.

It streeted against "Blue Thunder: The Complete Series", "Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" and "Veronica Mars: The Complete Second Season".

The release originally came with an insert, a ten page catalog for various Warner Bros. television sets; thirty-nine titles on DVD and HD DVD (only two for the latter).

- - -

There was only one store which had an exclusive, Target. They sold it for $39.99. The bonus disc came in a printed cardboard sleeve, attached to the back of the packaging.

The disc had a lone featurette, "Bright Sounds, Small City: Scoring Invasion" (18:58 minutes). The second menu screen is the DVD credits. Not much more than that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Review/Tangent.

The show lasted one season, a total of twenty-two episodes. The finale is an unresolved cliffhanger - they went out HUGE. As mapped by series creator, Shaun Cassidy (yeah, that Cassidy), it was planned for a five year run. There was an initial announcement of a second season, but that changed. When they filmed the finale, they didn't know it was the end. Anyhow, the then newly formed network, The CW was going to pick up the show for season two, but dropped it because of its high production dollar.

Most know about this show, but few watched it. "Lost" was its lead-in series. It was getting 'okay' ratings, but the problem was the cost of producing the program outweighed the viewers, pretty cut and dry. Which is sad, it was a good show. The same can be said for another "Lost" type series on the same network, "Day Break" (remember that?). Damn good show too, I own it (BBC Eclipse, not the Echo Bridge re-release).

Okay for those who are clueless or those who need a reminder...

Florida park ranger, Russell Varon (Eddie Cibrian) and his extended family (his current girlfriend and ex-wife) rebuild after hurricane Eve hits their town of Homestead. But soon it becomes apparent that the storm blew far more than wind and rain. There's something in the water, something in the swamps and marshes. And it's related to their Sheriff, Tom Underlay (William Fichtner). Think of it as a wet version of "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers". Some of them are good, some indifferent and some just evil. General paranoia all around. It's a sci-fi show that wasn't so much about science fiction. It was about how two families reacted to a very improbable situation.

One of the great things about the show was Sheriff Underlay, you were never sure what side he was on. Not a random flip flop, he had his own motives and schemes. A cool antagonist. Fichtner certainly chewed up his scenes.

Another thing that contributed the cancelation; it was its own worst enemy, people didn't want to see that. The center piece to the whole concept is a hurricane. Just bad timing. The promo for the series showed tropical cyclone Eve hitting the community and its aftermath. When it aired, it was happening for REAL - hurricanes Katria and Rita were bashing the South East. I don't need to explain further, many people died. The promo, their main promo was pulled on August 31st, 2005, twenty-one days before the show premiered.

I'm fortunate enough to have that lost promotional ad. Huh? Sure, why not? We're covering a TV exclusive. You're getting a two-fer this week. Lucky you!

On September 20th, 2005, "Desperate Housewives: The Complete First Season" had three exclusives from the retail giants. I apologise for the picture quality, I'll have to recan them again - eventually. Don't ask for lengths, I'm not pulling them out. I have my entire DVD collection in boxes, stacked, indexed boxes; limited space to display them.

Best Buy had the weakest with a mini (DVD case sized) 2006 calendar, sold for $37.99. I got mine free without having to rebuy.

Target sold it with a bonus disc. This has genuine extras stuff. It sold for $36.99. Bought it.

Lastly Wal-Mart sold the set with their own bonus disc for $38.99. The DVD has nothing but promos for other ABC shows premiering that Fall. Have it too. Among them is the recalled advertisement for "Invasion". It's one of my prized possessions.

- - -

The box set, I would've liked to have found more extras. The featurette, "Inside the Mind Of Shaun Cassidy" was nice. But I wanted more - like the design of the creatures and effects. The deleted scenes were interesting as were the bloopers. A commentary would have been nice; a commentary answering all the dangling questions in the finale, even better. What's missing in the set is that pulled promo.

There was a glimmer for fans of what would've been. Spoilers...

As reported by TV Guide, their August 14th - 20th, 2006 issue. It featured a quick interview with actor Tyler Labine, played Dave Groves. He was being interviewed for his new role as Jonathan Winant on the then series, "Boston Legal" (also on ABC). He was asked about what was planned for season two had it not been axed.
Quote:
Larkin [Lisa Sheridan] was going to be presumed dead. Russel and I were going to join forces against Tom. Tom was going to find out that his first wife was alive and running this whole military operation, and she was Szura's boss.
You see - the finale had the local military overtaken, a new hurricane is on the verge of hitting. Szura (James Frain) was culling the entire population of Homestead into the sea for a mass embrace. If you cared, it was jaw dropping. That took balls.

Want more answers??? Like the end game? Sure you do!

Labine said this while rounding questions with co-star Alan Tudyk; promoting their then new movie, "Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" - 2010 Sundance Film Festival...
Quote:
Invasion, I was very upset. We didn't know it was the end. We filmed it because we were absolutely certain we were going to get a second season. Which we were at the time. And then things changed. So it was bummer 'cause I knew, I mean, I knew what the second season was going to be. We knew the whole idea. Well the whole - I'll just tell you this. The whole idea of the show was that we were never going to win, it was an evolutionary step. What was happening, this re-seeding; this invasion itself was not an invasion at all. It was our next evolutionary step. So we were basically going to spend five seasons, which is what Shaun Cassidy wanted to do - trying to win this battle we couldn't win. It was the end of human nature or human kind as we knew it. So that was going to be the end. And I was going to have to basically have to beat my sister Larkin - who was going to come back as an evolved hybrid, not a hybrid, she was going to be a full evolved and I was going to have to organize a militia together to kill her, which was going to be cool. But it's not what happened, so, yeah. So basically the whole show would be - we were dead, we were always dead 'cause it's the next evolutionary step.
- January 25th, 2010

If you want to read a book not releated to the series try "Waiting" from Frank M. Robinson. The story was published 1999 by Forge. Not a replacement species, but an older race who want their world back, they're human looking. Pretty cheap on hardcover (pictured - I own this) and paperback. Yeah, another so-so image, sorry.

- - -

Yes, it ends with an unresolved cliffhanger, but the trip there is a worthy one. It starts off slow paced and ends with a bang. Check it out, the six disc set is very affordable on Amazon ($7.50, cheaper on resellers) and while you're at it, check out "Day Break" (ended with a conclusion).

Here's a bit for you. Nathan Baesel played the one armed deputy, Lewis Sirk on "Invasion". He's also played the title character in "Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon" (2006), last week's Past Tense. I'm getting goose bumps, patterns - there are patterns! Tin foil hat here I come.

There you go folks. See you on the other side of 2012. Have a safe and not so regrettable New Year's Eve.

And a heads up. Next week I'm starting a month long retrospective, four parts - four weeks. I've been busy writing it, check it out if you can.

Last edited by JohnIan; 03-05-2015 at 04:59 AM..
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Target - January 3rd, 2012

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

Jillian Michaels: Killer Buns & Thighs
Bob Harper: Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation
Rodney Yee's Daily Yoga
(additional fitness titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

Justified: The Complete Second Season $19.99
Family Guy: Vol. 9 $15.00
Happy Endings: Season 1 $15.00
Community: Season 2 $15.00
The Simpsons: Season 14 $15.00
(additional titles in store)

Squat for me this week, here. I'll pick up "Shark Night" ($16.99) at Best Buy, it's cheaper.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Best Buy - January 3rd, 2012

Smallville: The Complete Series
- One day sale; 1/1/12 $189.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Justified: The Complete Second Season
- Exclusive t-shirt $19.99
- Save $10.00 when you buy S1 together

Cage The Elephant: Live From The Vic In Chicago
- Exclusive Blu-Ray $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Marley & Me: The Puppy Years
Police Academy
Uncle Buck
Old School: Unrated
Rushmore
The Shawshank Redemption
Airplane: Don't Call Me Shirley Edition
There's Something About Mary
Sex And The City

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Jillian Michaels: Ripped In 30
Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred
Dance Off the Inches: Sizzling Salsa
Denise Austin: Sculpt & Burn Body Blitz
Transform Your Body With Brooke Burke: Strengthen & Condition
Element: Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners
Element: AM & PM Yoga for Beginners
Prenatal Yoga
(additional fitness titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Crazy Stupid Love
Green Lantern
Something Borrowed
The Hangover Part II
Horrible Bosses

- - - - - - - - - -

Everwood: Season 4 $9.99
Veronica Mars: Season 3 $9.99
The O.C.: Season 3 $9.99
Louie: Season 1 $9.99
Roots: Four-Disc 30th Anniversary Edition $9.99
The Three Stooges Collection: Vol. 1 $9.99
Third Watch: Season 2 $9.99
Workaholics: Season 1 $9.99
The Dukes Of Hazzard: Season 1 $9.99
The Bonic Woman: Season 1 $12.99
Body Of Proof: Season 1 $14.99
The Lucy Show: Season 4 $14.99
The Honeymooners: Classic 39 Episodes $14.99
The League: Season 2 $16.99
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 5 $16.99
Justified: Season 1 $19.99
Castle: Season 3 $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

"Cage The Elephant - Live From The Vic In Chicago" CD/DVD set $12.99

"Shark Night" is $14.99 here. *nods*
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Past Tense

The first article of the New Year take us to the very source; have a sit down with our pal "Hellboy"...

The motion picture opened on April 2nd, 2004. It was made with a budget of $66,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $99 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number two.

The feature opened against "Dawn Of The Dead" (remake), "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" and "The Passion Of The Christ".

For the intent of this post, I'm covering the "2 - Disc Special Edition", but I'll go slightly into the "Director's Cut" further in.

This release originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with a ten page folding booklet showcasing the bonus content.

- - -

There were two exclusives, both from Best Buy.

What you see above is the VERY FIRST exclusive bonus disc, it came inside a regular DVD case. This was pre-release, promo disc. It was available for free with any media purchase on March 9th, 2004.

This is another rare item for me - I nearly missed out. Man, that was almost a decade ago. I remember reading about it online (Movie Web), but a couple weeks after the fact. This was very early in my DVD collecting. I went to my local store and looked about for the exclusive. All gone. I asked a clerk; he went into the back room. A few minutes later he came back with a copy, the last one in the store. I'm lucky to have that. As I recall I didn't have to buy anything to get it. Very sway.

The "Free Special Sneak Preview" has a run time of 33:49 minutes. There is a this bit, it's not really free - no; it rang up for one cent. Okay, yes, sort of. If you had a 'Reward Zone' card it would've been free. So yes in that sense.

- - -

The next was a free trading card (which I won't pursue) this came with the DVD on July 27th (same year) for $15.99, packed with the case. I don't have a picture of it. I'm not going to worry about it. Anyhow, I bought my copy from Wal-Mart.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Do I need to keep the first release when there is a far better, three disc "Director's Cut" set available (streeted October 19th, 2004, $34.95)?

Depends. Are you a compleatest? Not talking about owning all the editions.

There are two items which didn't carry over to the box. The first a theatrical commentary by director Guillermo de Toro and co-executive producer Mike Mignola. A new one was recorded for the DC, de Toro only. The second is "From The Den" four shorts recommended by actor Ron Perlman.

If you want all the extras - you will need both editions, I have them.

- - -

This edition has a couple of easter eggs, both on disc one.

Highlight "Introduction", press up; highlight 'the three bullet holes' - ENTER.

You get a small behind the scenes clip of de Toro talking about his just filmed Introduction; how the cue card guy has messy penmanship. You may have to watch "Introduction" before that option comes up.

Special Features -> highlight "Main Menu", press down; highlight 'the three bullet holes' - ENTER.

You get a series of cute on set quotes from de Toro, ranging from directing the actors to production woes.

- - -

Don't forget to check out my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective"; Part I is up now.

- - -

December 20th, 2012:
Added easter eggs.

September 10th, 2013:
Better images.

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Target - January 10th, 2012

Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season
Exclusive (six) postcard set $34.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The King's Speech
Easy A
Just Go With It
Burlesque
Battle: Los Angeles
Ramona And Beezus
The Expendables
(additional titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$8.49 DVD

Marley & Me: The Puppy Years

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Green Lantern
The Hangover
The Hangover Part II

- - - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 DVDs

Cowboys & Aliens
The Change-Up: Unrated

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Zookeeper
In The Name Of The King 2: Two Worlds
30 Minutes Or Less
Tron: Legacy
Kung Fu Panda 2: Double Pack
Cars 2
Tangled
The Lion King
Beauty And The Beast
(additional titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - - -

The Big Bang Theory: Season 4 $15.00
Hot In Cleveland: Season 2 $12.99
Glee: The Concert $15.00
The Borgias: Season 1 $29.99
Justified: Season 2 $19.99
Royal Pains: Season 3, Volume 1 $15.00
The Vampire Diaries: Season 2 $15.00

One of these days I will pick up that postcard set, but I'm not paying thirty-five bucks for it. And besides, Best Buy will have it cheaper WITH a bonus disc.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Target - January 10th, 2012

THIS IS FOR BEST BUY

Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season
Exclusive bonus disc $29.99.
Exclusive playing cards - sold separately $3.99

Free Game Of Thrones Sampler DVD
With any HBO DVD or Blu-Ray purchase

- - - - - - - - - - - -

(purchase all three TV boxes; save $20.00) (must be on the same receipt)
Family Guy: Volume 9 $19.99
Futurama: Volume 6 $19.99
The Simpsons: Season 14 $24.99

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Two And A Half Men: Season 8 $18.99
The Big Bang Theory: Season 1 $14.99
The Big Bang Theory: Season 4 $18.99
The Cleveland Show: Season 1 $12.99
The Cleveland Show: Season 2 $14.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Seasons 1 - 4 $19.99 (each)
Psych: Season 5 $19.99
30 Rock: Season 5 $24.99
Glee: Season 2 $29.99
NCIS: Season 8 $29.99
Sons Of Anarchy: Seasons 1 or 2 $29.99 (each)
Breaking Bad: Seasons 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)
Breaking Bad: Season 3 $14.99
Mad Men: Seasons 1 - 4 $16.99 (each)
Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena $19.99
Dexter: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
Dexter: Seasons 3 - 5 $19.99 (each)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 CDs

"DJ Drama - Third Power" with three exclusive tracks
"Chickenfoot - III" exclusive CD/DVD set
"Keith Sweat - 'Til The Morning" with three exclusive tracks

This is where I'm buying "Boardwalk Empire". I'll try to get that deck of cards. Well, that and the DVD sampler.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-08-2012 at 03:00 AM..
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Past Tense

This week we find the meaning of life thank to Miss Lara Croft in "Tomb Raider: Cradle Of Life"...

The motion picture opened on July 25th, 2003 with a budget of $90,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $156 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number four at the box office, the following week it dropped to number six.

The feature opened against "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "Finding Nemo", "Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl".

This release originally came with a double sided single sheet insert. One side is the chapter listing, twenty-six of them; the other is promo picture.

- - -

There was one exclusive to be had and it was from Best Buy.

This set streeted on November 18th, 2003 for $15.99. The bonus disc came in a CD envelope. Sorry no screen snap, there is no menu screen, it just plays.

The bonus is a single featurette (full screen), "Tomb Raider: The Secrets Of Lara Croft". It has a runtime of 12:08 minutes.

I missed out on the exclusive when it first came out. Last year or so; might have been 2010, I purchased the set from Ebay. The movie disc was scratched, but the bonus was mint, which was cool since I already owned the DVD - mint. Both are now inside two disc case. *nods*

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Above is a production still and an image of the corresponding action figure, "Lara Croft In Wetsuit". Can you tell what's different???

While you ponder that, I'll give some specs. The action figure was released in 2003 from Sota Toys & Collectibles. It features twenty points of articulation and four accessories. I don't own this. But I should, the sculpt job was excellent, looks like her. The same can NOT be said for Kate Beckinsale; her figure (Mezco Toyz) for Selene from "Underworld" (2003); looks nothing like her. It's more akin to a tranny. Google it if you dare.

Anyhow, it's one of those conundrums like with Pilot (Jessica Steen) from "Captain Power And The Soldiers Of The Future" (1987). I would say Ms. Steen is B a cup. But when her character, Corp. Jennifer 'Pilot' Chase powers up, her chest armor turns into a D. Hmmm, what's going on under there? I suppose we will never know. Food for thought. Wait, bad pun.

Speaking of breasts... *smile*

Notice something else? Yes, I see nips, but where do you NOT see them?

The poster.

Angelina Jolie's nipples were removed because the producers feared it would be offensive to some and ignite a string of complaints.
Quote:
I wanted my nipples to be there to see.
- Jolie on the subject

Speaking of which; why are her breasts smaller in the second film than the first? Two answers. First is from the studio. Jolie wore a padded bra to pump up her cleavage and bounce in the first movie. For "Cradle Of Life" she wore a lesser bra, making her curves more grounded in reality.

The second is from the actress herself...
Quote:
Last time I took too much protein powder. That gave me lots of curves. This time I ate normally and therefore Lara is slimmer and sexier.
- Jolie

Who's correct? Perhaps a bit of both. As for the poster nipple removal, I think it would've made for a sexier print ad. But then again there are people who are offended by nips on mannequins. *head shakes* Uptight people are ruining it for everybody else.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

A photo of a teenage Angelina Jolie taken when she was sixteen; surfaced in 2008. Remember, she's sixteen so - don't be thinking that. She's sixteen.

Sixteen.

Oh damn.

- - -

Part II of my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" is up, give it a look-see.

Last edited by JohnIan; 10-25-2012 at 05:33 AM..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Target - January 17th, 2012

Courageous
Exclusive Blu-Ray with three song (MP3) downloads (from the soundtrack) $22.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

The Usual Suspects: Special Edition
Walk The Line
Premonition
Open Season 2

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
Leslie Sansone: 5 Really Big Miles
Rodney Yee's Yoga For Beginners

It's been a pretty craptacular couple of weeks. I was talking to a friend about this. Perhaps the reason is so many people have spent their wad (money) on Christmas - credit cards. They have less to spend in January. This means poor deals this month, why bother? Money is tights at the first of the year. I agree with the idea.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Best Buy - January 17th, 2012

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 DVD

Kevin Hart: Laugh At My Pain (theatrical version)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVD

Apollo 18

- - - - - - - - - - -

Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 $39.99
Archer: Season 1 $9.99
Smallville: Season 10 $29.99
The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 2 or 3 $14.99 (each)
The Vampire Diaries: Season 1 $14.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 2 $18.99
Nikita: Season 1 $18.99
Supernatural: Seasons 1 - 5 $14.98 (each)
Supernatural: Season 6 $18.99
The Middle: Season 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
The Mentalist: Season 3 $18.99
The Gossip Girl: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
The Gossip Girl: Season 4 $18.99
Two And A Half Men: Seasons 5 - 7 $14.99 (each)

To date that's the cheapest I've seen "Nikita" go for. I did not see a listing for "Drity Girl". Their website reads $24.99. I was expecting maybe twenty or fifteen bucks. It's not a real deal, the DVD retails for $29.98.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Past Tense

What if? What if there were nation wide terrorist attacks on America (on the same day)? What would happen in the aftermath? This week we get the tip of a conspiracy in "Jericho"...

"Jericho: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on October 2nd, 2007. A CBS program.

It streeted against "Caligula: Three-Disc Imperial Edition", "The War: A Ken Burns Film" and "Flight Of The Living Dead".

I can not recall if this came with some sort of insert(s). I'll explain in a few...

- - -

Target was the only store which had an exclusive, a bonus DVD (inside a CD envelope). This TV set sold for $33.99.

The bonus is a single program (full screen), "The 2007 William S. Paley Television Festival: Jericho"; recorded on March 13th, 2007. The runtime is 29:15 minutes.

The event was moderated by Craig Tomashoff from TV Guide. In attendance was executive producer Carol Barbee, co-creator Jonathan Steinberg, co-creator Josh Schaer, co-creator/executive producer Stephen Chbosky and stars Skeet Ulrich, Lennie James, Ashley Scott, Pamela Reed and Erik Knudsen.

There were no revelations. It was various general questions.

- - - - - - - - - -

Review/Footnotes.

The show lasted two seasons, a total of twenty-nine episodes. It was killed twice due to poor ratings - Twice! Not many series can say that. The finale has closure to the main story line, but leaves the door wide open for America's second civil war.

For those who don't know...

"Jericho" told the story of the end of the world. The small Kansas town of Jericho find themselves cut off from the rest of the planet after an unprecedented terrorist attack; twenty-three simultaneous nuclear detonations across America. The residents have to deal with the fallout, lack of news, limited supplies, immigrants, no electricity after an EMP blast, marauders, war with their neighbor over dwindling resources and the newly formed government; Allied States Of America.

The former country has splt into three; A.S.A (Cheyenne, Wyoming - capital), what remains of the United States on the East Cost (new capital is Columbus, Ohio after Washington was nuked) and Republic Of Texas which seceded (capital is San Antonio, Dallas was obliterated).

As the episodes grow we learn that this attack wasn't by any foreign nation(s), the initial blame was on Iran and North Korea, but from within. We were done in by a hostile, corporate takeover - Jennings & Rall. They're covering their tracks, searching for a smoking gun; one of the nukes didn't explode and it's in Jericho.

I'm not doing it justice, a LOT happens. It was such a big concept and was well played. Seek it out if you haven't.

There was a virtual third season in 2009.

A six issue, comic book mini-series ("Jericho: Civil War") was first released by Devil's Due Publishing (March '09) and later by IDW Publishing, ending its run in June, 2011. Each publisher did three issues. The comic storyline was conceived by the series production team and written by the show's writers. It should pretty much be considered canon. It picked up where the show ended and leads up to the start of the second Civil War. I need to get this.

The issues were collected in a trade paperback from IDW, the graphic novel is 140 pages, released in August, 2011 for $19.99. No new content inside.

It's not the first show to do that; there's a virtual season eight for "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" by series creator Joss Whedon (from Dark Horse Comics).

- - -

I don't have season one anymore. I sold it, but kept the exclusive disc.

Why?

Released on June 17th, 2008 (for $84.99) was "Jericho: The Complete Series". This set has all the extras from the individual season releases, plus a bonus disc with additional bonuses. I need to get this. Very recommended. I was attempting to buy it by selling season one, but something came up (bills) and that project fell through. It's still on my list though. I WILL get this box set.

- - -

There is an easter egg on disc 6; featurette, "Jericho At WonderCon" (2007, I believe).

Special Features -> highlight "Main Menu", press right; highlight 'sideview mirror' - ENTER.

- - -

Part III of my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" is up. Give it click.

Last edited by JohnIan; 07-28-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Target - January 24th, 2011

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$5.00 DVDs

The Mummy Returns
Mrs. Doubtfire: Behind-The-Seams Edition
Alfred Hitchcock: A Legacy Of Suspense
John Wayne: The Tribute Collection

- - - - - - - - - -

JAG: Seasons 3 & 4 pack $15.00
Saturday Night Live: Season 3 & 4 pack $15.00
Monk: Season 2 & 3 pack $15.00
I Love Lucy: Seasons 3 & 4 pack $15.00

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"Blake Shelton - Red River Blue" Deluxe with exclusive bonus track and t-shrit

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"Celtic Woman - Believe" Deluxe with exclusive DVD

There are only two titles I have interest in and both of them are not found here. I'll pass.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Best Buy - January 24th, 2011

Scorpions: Get Your Sting and Blackout: Live In 3D
Exclusive Blu-Ray $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity 2

- - - - - - - - - - -

Monk: Seasons 4 - 7 $9.99 (each)
Parks And Recreation: Season 1 $9.99
Seinfeld: Seasons 1 & 2, 3 - 9 $9.99 (each)
Saturday Night Live: Seasons 1 - 3 $9.99 (each)
Full House: Seasons 1 - 8 $9.99 (each)
Party Down: Seasons 1 - 2 $9.99 (each)
Archer: Season 2 $14.99
Fringe: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
Fringe: Season 3 $18.99
Mike & Molly: Season 1 $18.99
Hawaii Five-0: Season 1 $19.99 (reboot)
CSI: Miami: Season 9 $19.99
The Sopranos: Complete Series $154.99
The West Wing: The Complete Series $149.99
Sex & The City: Complete Series $109.99
The Wire: Complete Series $109.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Lamb Of God - Resolution Deluxe Edition" with 12 live exclusive tracks

This too has no listings for Criterion's "Godzilla" DVD nor "The House On Sorority Row" special edition (their website reads $14.99, but I'm uncertain if that's online only). I know that next Tuesday I'm going to pick up the prequel to "The Thing". So, next week then.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Wal-Mart Exclusives

Paranormal Activity: Three-Movie Collection (DVDs) - Available now.

- - -

Treasure Buddies: Adventure Gift Set (Blu-Ray + DVD combo) - Available January 31st, 2012.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 AM
Past Tense

This week as with the last is a television entry, today we watch their future's begin, "How I Met Your Mother"...

"How I Met Your Mother: Season One" was released on home video on November 21st, 2006.

It streeted against "Alias: The Complete Collection", "Ice Age: The Meltdown" and "Star Trek: The Animated Series".

The insert was a booklet; seventeen titles (not going to list them) with a mail-in certificate (on the last page). Save $5.00 when you buy any two titles. Save $10.00 when you buy any three. And $20.00 when you buy any five. It was a mix of TV and film releases.

- - -

The former Circuit City had the only exclusive, a bonus DVD (within a CD envelope, inside the slipcase). This TV set sold for $27.99. All five featurettes are in full screen. The run time is 23:15 minutes. The videos (podcasts) appear to have been released on the internet first; on the CBS website.

I remember it. I was having difficultly finding a copy which had the bonus disc. It wasn't in the front rack in Media - where the newly released were held. Nope. In fact I had to ask for help. And that person was just as clueless. I believe they said they didn't get them in. Was going to give up, then a thought popped in my head; 'why not try looking in the TV series area?' Sure enough there they were, a couple of copies. From that point on I didn't really check the new release rack when exclusives came to Circuit City. I went directly to the section where that title were to be held, pretty worked every time - mostly. *nods*

Okay I'll be honest. This isnt one of my better entries. It gets the job done though.

- - -

Part IV, the conclusion of my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" is up. It's worth a read... at least I think so.

Last edited by JohnIan; 04-10-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 AM
Target - January 31st, 2012

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

The Big Year

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

The Losers
Scott Pilgram Vs. The World
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End

Wow, that's an awful selection. Like someone dumped the trashed, but there was some stuff that clung onto the bottom - here you go!

They're selling the prequel "The Thing" for $16.99, a dollar cheaper than Best Buy - same deal for "Drive".