Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Mark Wahlberg: Superhero or Jackass?

Ran across this today.

"Mark Wahlberg claims he could have done what hundreds of other doomed passengers couldn't ... fought off the multiple 9/11 terrorists and saved one of the hijacked planes.

Wahlberg just gave an interview with Men's Journal ... in which he states, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"

So the question ... is Wahlberg's braggadocio insulting to the dead passengers and their families?"

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/18/mark-w.../#.TxcYTfmwWVw

I always liked Mark but man what a shitty thing to say. My vote - JACKASS

What do you guys think?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Good to know Whalberg. Say hi to your mother for me, okay.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Mark Wahlberg being an arrogant douche? I never thought I'd see the day.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM
To me this sounds like it was taken out of context. I don't know. It seems a little arrogant, but nothing too extreme.
"Had it been me on that plane with my kids, I would have kicked the terrorists ass! Go America! Whoo!"

I've heard many many many more people say much much worse things in person. I don't hold a movie star to any higher standard.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Eh, I don't know. When I see this part....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
"If I was on that plane with my kids,
To me he sounds like every other parent who believe they can summon superhero strength and fight off any insurmountable challenge single-handedly in order to protect their child.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
When you're put into that situation with your kids, I'm sure you will do anything you can to protect them. Now would he be able to kick all of their asses and land the plane like he said he would?

Probably not.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Honestly, any large group of people can overtake any small band of armed enemies if they all just suck it up and do it. Yeah, some of them are going to die in the process, but why would anyone rather go out as a submissive pussy than a potential hero? People as a whole just need to stop being so ridiculously afraid of dying -- it's life's only inevitability and you don't know when it's going to happen.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Someone needs to lay off the Statham movies, pronto.

I was kind of hoping he'd left this sort of toolery behind when he graduated from The Funky Bunch, but I guess not.

I guess it's just too bad all those sheeple couldn't be as badass as he is in all of his jerkoff fantasies.

Oh, and congratulations, Rooney Mara. Your hold on the title of dumbassedest thing said by a celebrity in 2012 is now over. Please come back later and try again.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 AM
It was a dumb thing to say and maybe a little insensitive, but I don't think it makes him an asshole.

Who hasn't imagined themselves in a Die Hard type situation anyways?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Imagining it and saying it for attribution are very different things.

He's already doing the Apology Two Step but I don't think this will be easily forgotten. He essentially took a big steaming piss on a lot of people's graves and I doubt their family members are going to give him a pass because he was good in Three Kings.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 AM
It will be interesting to see if this has any kind of effect on Contraband's current box office. Probably not though. The movie already did really well opening weekend, it was always probably going to have a big drop in it's second week. But I wonder, in light of his comments, how big of a drop will it have?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
When Men's Journal interviewed author / playboy / self proposed hugenot RustyRazor, he was asked about 9/11 and he responded:

"It was a sad, sad day that none of us will soon forget."

The reporter asked "Well do you think you could've overpowered some of the terrorists and force your way to the cabin and saved the plane?"

He replied "It was a sad, sad day that none of us will soon forget."

The reporter followed up by asking "No, I realize that but I mean, if your family were on that plane and the terrorists were planning on--."

"It was a sad, sad day that none of us will soon forget."

I don't care what you're thinking, how you feel about it, or what you would've done. All of these things are valid, don't misunderstand me, and you have every right to voice what you would've done IF...

If is the "after the fact" in this case.
What happened was a tragedy and your "if" sounds disingenuous and a rather insensitive.
Some opinions, depending on their subject matter just shouldn't be voiced.
Or have that prepared statement, like mine up above ready for such occasions.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
It wasn't too bad what he said. From what I understood, the guy was saying that he would do everything in his power to protect his children.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
It wasn't too bad what he said. From what I understood, the guy was saying that he would do everything in his power to protect his children.

Yea but to say it as if the parents of those kids on flights 175 and 77 didn't do enough or care enough about their kids dying, but that he would have saved his kids because obviously he is a better parent/superhero is just an asshole thing to say.

In case you didnt know, 8 children, ages 2-11, died on those two flights.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
"If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"
I cannot fucking believe that anyone could read that and just shrug their shoulders and not give a damn how grotesquely stupid and insulting it really is to the people who died and to their families.

This wasn't some Goddamned movie he saw. Hundreds of people really died, including children and this tool just blithely declares that if he'd been there he would have effortlessly killed five armed men and emerged without a scratch, just in time to declare the all clear and calm everyone down. And that's seriously okay with some of you people? Really?

This isn't the first interview I've read with him where he comes off as a dimwitted asshole, but it's the first one in a long time. Like I said before, I had sort of thought he'd wised up but it's clear he hasn't.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I cannot fucking believe that anyone could read that and just shrug their shoulders and not give a damn how grotesquely stupid and insulting it really is to the people who died and to their families.

This wasn't some Goddamned movie he saw. Hundreds of people really died, including children and this tool just blithely declares that if he'd been there he would have effortlessly killed five armed men and emerged without a scratch, just in time to declare the all clear and calm everyone down. And that's seriously okay with some of you people? Really?

This isn't the first interview I've read with him where he comes off as a dimwitted asshole, but it's the first one in a long time. Like I said before, I had sort of thought he'd wised up but it's clear he hasn't.
It was unintentionally insulting. I can't speak for him. But I assume that he was just acting on impulse when he said that. Yes, lot's of people died. And it's all hindsight 20/20 now. Looking back, a lot of people have thought about the events, and how they would have acted. T
There are probably large percentages of people who think to themselves "man, had it only been me on that plane"
That's because we know what happened, and the people on the plane didn't know what was going to happen. Planes aren't typically hijacked for the purpose of martyrdom.
Remember, in the past, planes have been hijacked for negotiation purposes. It's doubtful any of the passengers on board wanted to risk their life for a detour. They probably didn't realize they were headed to their deaths.

We however have the benefit of knowing what happened, and the motives of the people involved. So a lot of people, having hindsight, can look back and say "why didn't anyone do anything? Why didn't they risk their own life to save thousands?"
The answer is, because they probably didn't know the motives of the terrorists at the time.

I doubt Mark analyzed it as much as we have. I doubt he meant it to come out the way it did. and I doubt that he intended to insult the victims or their families.
Was it arrogant? It sure was. But it wasn't a bizarre statement. It was just one that lacked insight.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I doubt he meant it to come out the way it did.

You know, after hearing about this, and then going back and reading other jackass things he has said I honestly believe he thinks he could have saved the day and no one but terrorists would have died had he been on the plane. He is that full of himself.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
You know, after hearing about this, and then going back and reading other jackass things he has said I honestly believe he thinks he could have saved the day and no one but terrorists would have died had he been on the plane. He is that full of himself.
maybe he is that full of himself :/, I was only attempting to offer a different viewpoint.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM
this isn't any secret. mark wahlberg let us know how he would deal with terrorists all the way back in 1995. we have no one to blame but ourselves for the fact that he wasn't immediately dispatched to the scene.