Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Resident Evil 6...

Virals have emerged online that may be indications that a new RE game could be revealed tomorrow ("No Hope Left, 19.01.2012").

Source

I hope it's more survival horror oriented this time around and slightly less focused on the non-stop action.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Does this have anything to do with the RE game that lets you play as one of six Umbrella members? Or is this a completely different game? RE5 was disappointing, fix the controls and get more cinematic camera angels. Bring back the scary atmosphere!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Does this have anything to do with the RE game that lets you play as one of six Umbrella members? Or is this a completely different game? RE5 was disappointing, fix the controls and get more cinematic camera angels. Bring back the scary atmosphere!
That is RE: Operation Raccoon City where you play as the Mercs that run amuck during RE2 and 3.

As to this, i don't think it has anything to do with RE. Looking over the site there is way too much emphasis put on the "biohazard" symbol in the O of 'No Hope Left". It just doesn't seem RE to me at all but who knows.

Also, i couldn't be bothered to look into it but, can anyone tell if the posts on the site supposed to be actual ppl posting or is it all fabricated?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
This doesn't look like it has anything to do with RE. Looks interesting, though.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, turns out it IS RE6! Rejoice!

Source

Quote:
For the first time in Resident Evil history, Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield will both be playable characters in Capcom's ambitious sixth main entry in its survival horror series. Sources within the development team have started to give IGN a broad picture of the game's scope, which certainly seems larger than any Resident Evil title we've seen so far. This news comes on the heels of the leaked logo and release date for the game.

Chris Redfield and Leon Kennedy will not be alone in this new game. Both Chris and Leon will have unnamed partners of their own, teaming up in similar fashion to the Chris Redfield/Jessica Sherawat and Jill Valentine/Parker Luciani pairings in Resident Evil Revelations. Sources tell us Chris and Leon will have seperate stories in the game that will eventually overlap in some capacity.

We're also told Ada Wong will have a playable role in the game, though not immediately. It appears as though the Ada storyline will become available to players after the Chris and Leon arcs have been completed, plus a third primary narrative featuring a new character. Any of the three main story branches will be selectable early on in the game, allowing players to see each storyline through to completion before starting another one.

Resident Evil 6 is also set to take place across the globe, including China, which has been an often-rumored location for months. VentureBeat reports the RE6 development team is the "same internal Japanese team that has worked on previous entries." That same report suggests this game is being styled after both Resident Evil 4 and 5, attempting to find a middle ground between horror and action.

When contacted, Capcom stated it would not comment on rumors, reports or speculation. IGN sources have also given us the Resident Evil 6 logo and release date.

Capcom is expected to officially reveal - or continue to tease - Resident Evil 6 later today through its viral "No Hope Left" site. Stay tuned for more.

I'm fine with everything but the RE5 action/horror balance they mention. RE5 was 80% action, only about 20% horror.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Well, turns out it IS RE6! Rejoice!

Source

I'm fine with everything but the RE5 action/horror balance they mention. RE5 was 80% action, only about 20% horror.
Agreed, if they want to win back fans they should model the game after Dead Space, not RE5.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Hmmm, well i wonder what the signifigance of the silly little Biohazard logo is. IF the only real tie in is that its a biohazard logo and the Japanese name for the series is Biohazard then i'd say this was a pretty lame viral as champaign.

Anywho, i wonder how long it will take for ppl to cry racism cause the the 2 white Westerners are killing a bunch of chinese ppl. I laughed at the calims of racism in RE5 cause last time i checked........ there were a lot of black ppl in Africa.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BmC1lZeQad4
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
To me, it looks like a combination of RE2, RE4, and RE5. Plus of course RE6's new stuff. It looks epic. Sounds epic. It MUST be epic! I love this series.
In RE7 I want a completely naked Lara Croft running around with twin uzi'z. Is that too much to ask for?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 AM
This technically is Resident Evil 7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica was technically the fourth but for some reason, they didn't number it and when the next RE game came out, they decided to stick a 4 in the title. Don't know why, because CV wasn't some non-canon game like Survivor or Dead Aim. It was part of the main storyline and featured three major characters from the first two games (Chris, Claire, Wesker.)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Just caught the trailer over at GameSpot and...WOW!

As a die hard RE fan since the first game way back in April 1996, I'm just in a state of shock right now. Usually, Capcom will tease us with the next game for at least a year before launch. And it wasn't just a tease, they showed A LOT of action. This one came out of left field for me, since it will be released for the holidays 2012.

I'm in the small minority when I admit that I loved RE5. To me, one of the best parts of it was the finality feel to it. Unlike the previous games, it gave the series closure. Capcom had a choice to either reboot the franchise with new characters or continue the paths of our familiar heroes.

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't go in the reboot direction. Chris and Leon are back, and it looks like Ashley and Ingrid retrun from RE4. I'm stoked for this game. I'll preorder tomorrow if I could, get the collector's edition if they release one and probably even wait in line at the midnight launch.

It's released right after my birthday and right before my 2 week vacation. I played RE in my 20s, 30s, and by the time RE6 comes out, I'll be into my 40s.

Effin' A.

Last edited by Joe Scorpio; 01-20-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Didn't care for the trailer, it looks too action packed. I guess they'll never recapture the cinematic atmosphere of RE2. It's like they want to turn the franchise into shallow action set-pieces because of the success of the movies.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM
WOW!

Sign me up and count me in, can't freakin' wait!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Can't possibly be worse than 5, and I didn't care for 4 either. Hopefully they bring this series back to its roots, but we all know that won't happen.

PARTTS of this trailer look very good though

Last edited by Evil Ed; 01-20-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lockard View Post
This technically is Resident Evil 7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica was technically the fourth but for some reason, they didn't number it and when the next RE game came out, they decided to stick a 4 in the title. Don't know why, because CV wasn't some non-canon game like Survivor or Dead Aim. It was part of the main storyline and featured three major characters from the first two games (Chris, Claire, Wesker.)
Don't forget about Resident Evil Zero, which of course in the timeline of RE comes before 1, so yeah if we are counting the series as a whole it's not 6, but when not considering branch games, this is part 6. Though you are right, I would have classified RE:CV as part of the main series. It deserved it.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Finally watched the trailer. 2 things.

I don't think i saw Ada anywhere. Does anyone else think that the 3rd guy is a surviving Wesker clone? And was that Ashley with him?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Does anyone else think that the 3rd guy is a surviving Wesker clone? And was that Ashley with him?
I think he might be Wesker's son. However, since this is RE he could be a clone.

It might be Ashley, but many online are convinced it's Birkin's daughter.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 01-20-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
I think he might be Wesker's son. However, since this is RE he could be a clone.

Well the reason i say clone is in RE5 they reveal that there were a bunch of Wesker clones but that the Wesker we knew had been the only one to survive to adulthood. So i'm thinking this new guy is one ofthose that happened to survive as well. It could be a son i suppose.

Sherry? Hmmm i hadn't thought of that.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:

It's Hunk.

http://kotaku.com/5877832/is-hunk-th...esident-evil-6
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
It will be like 5 and suck! Capcom don't make good games anymore, eh excluding Ghost Trick
Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Sherry? Hmmm i hadn't thought of that.
By by the looks of her, I'd say it's Ashley. Hell, it sounds identical to her voice from RE4.

Though when RE4 was announced, I thought Ashley was Sherry Birkin so maybe they fool me again.

Nah, it's Ashley.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
You know what, tht would actually be pretty cool if it was Hunk. Nice tie in to the rest of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
By by the looks of her, I'd say it's Ashley. Hell, it sounds identical to her voice from RE4.

Though when RE4 was announced, I thought Ashley was Sherry Birkin so maybe they fool me again.

Nah, it's Ashley.
Yeah it was the voice that did it for me. At first i thought the blond chick with Leon was Ashley (is it maybe Jill?) But then when i heard the chick with the third guy talk i was all like "no wait, that was Ashley.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
You know what, tht would actually be pretty cool if it was Hunk. Nice tie in to the rest of the series.

Yeah it was the voice that did it for me. At first i thought the blond chick with Leon was Ashley (is it maybe Jill?) But then when i heard the chick with the third guy talk i was all like "no wait, that was Ashley.

Didn't Hunk die in Resident Evil 2? I thought his side story was the guy that stole the virus from Birkin and then was killed in the sewers? It's been a while.

I think Capcom confirmed that it's Sherry Birkin, it's all over IGN.

Did anyone else notice that we have characters that can move AND shoot?! Welcome the next gen Resident Evil, no longer will your legs remain flacid and unused!

Last edited by Evil Ed; 01-23-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Didn't Hunk die in Resident Evil 2? I thought his side story was the guy that stole the virus from Birkin and then was killed in the sewers? It's been a while.

I think Capcom confirmed that it's Sherry Birkin, it's all over IGN.
Hunk is the only Merc that survives the encounter with William in RE2. It's hard to tell sometimes, you have to watch the cut scenes a bunch of times. There are 4 Marcs, 2 get wasted just outside the lab. The other two get chased down by William but at the last second you see one ofthe 2 dash off down a hallway just as William attacks.

Hunk was also one of the 5 Merc characters in the Mercinaries game in RE4. He was effin hard to use at times as well being equipped with only a Machine gun and hand grenades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Did anyone else notice that we have characters that can move AND shoot?! Welcome the next gen Resident Evil, no longer will your legs remain flacid and unused!
You know its funny that you say that. In an earlier post you say you didn't care for RE4 or 5 and want to get back to its roots then say you are looking forward to moving and shooting. I dunno about you but making these games more action (moving while shooting) oriented is taking it further away from its roots

I never minded the stop-aim-shoot style of RE4 and 5. The only ppl who really hated it were the ones who played online and wanted just another FPS death match. In RE5 online you had to think more about how you played since you couldn't just run and gun it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Agreed, if they want to win back fans they should model the game after Dead Space, not RE5.
Resident Evil 5 was by far the worst of the series, after the superb 4th. I would love to see another claustrophobic RE game like the originals.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
You know its funny that you say that. In an earlier post you say you didn't care for RE4 or 5 and want to get back to its roots then say you are looking forward to moving and shooting. I dunno about you but making these games more action (moving while shooting) oriented is taking it further away from its roots

I never minded the stop-aim-shoot style of RE4 and 5. The only ppl who really hated it were the ones who played online and wanted just another FPS death match. In RE5 online you had to think more about how you played since you couldn't just run and gun it.
I want the series to go back to it's atmospheric and cinematic roots, but that doesn't mean I want them to keep dated controls around. The last thing I wanted was another FPS death match, the versus mode was really awful with RE5's control scheme. I just wanted a satisfying survival horror experience, which is what I expect for a Resident Evil game.

The early Resident Evil games played out like an interactive horror movie. Resident Evil 5 was a typical action shooter game, but with a dated control scheme. You had a game that wasn't sure what it wanted to be, tonally, it was shifting towards an action game but the controls really got in the way of the enjoyment of said action. The horror elements were completely absent.

It failed as both an action game and a survival horror game. Dead Space proved that you can have current-generation controls and still have a terrifying game with great atmosphere and a feeling of claustrophobia. Resident Evil 5 proved that Capcom has no idea what to do with the franchise.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
I want the series to go back to it's atmospheric and cinematic roots, but that doesn't mean I want them to keep dated controls around. The last thing I wanted was another FPS death match, the versus mode was really awful with RE5's control scheme. I just wanted a satisfying survival horror experience, which is what I expect for a Resident Evil game.

The early Resident Evil games played out like an interactive horror movie. Resident Evil 5 was a typical action shooter game, but with a dated control scheme. You had a game that wasn't sure what it wanted to be, tonally, it was shifting towards an action game but the controls really got in the way of the enjoyment of said action. The horror elements were completely absent.

It failed as both an action game and a survival horror game. Dead Space proved that you can have current-generation controls and still have a terrifying game with great atmosphere and a feeling of claustrophobia. Resident Evil 5 proved that Capcom has no idea what to do with the franchise.
Well archaic controls aside the idea of the game getting back to its roots is that you don't want a run and gun style period. While having to stop and take aim in 4 and 5 was annoying it also made you have to think about where you were and what enemies were around you. Some of the rooms in 4 were insanely hard because you had to stop and take aim even as the baddie rushed towards you.

What i'm saying is if ppl want it to get back to its roots then making more of an FPS is not the way to go. I think the best mix of the old with new was Code Veronica. It felt so much better and more well put together then the 3 previous titles but still held onto what made it an RE game.

In terms of RE4 they did a really good job of making more action packed but holding onto the essence of the RE series. How well it pulled this off differs with each persons opinion but in the end of the day it still felt like it could be an RE game if only cause you couldn't run into a room guns blazing.

RE5 however, like many have said, just seemed like such a short fall by comparison its really muddied what makes a "good RE game" in the fan bases perception. I enjoyed it but it had major flaws and the most glaring was how bloody short the game was.

But these days with the direction the story has taken its hard to have the game without moving and shooting. I mean these are highly skilled/trained secret operatives now not civilians or even task force cops.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Well archaic controls aside the idea of the game getting back to its roots is that you don't want a run and gun style period. While having to stop and take aim in 4 and 5 was annoying it also made you have to think about where you were and what enemies were around you. Some of the rooms in 4 were insanely hard because you had to stop and take aim even as the baddie rushed towards you.
Er... I'm just not feeling this argument man. Why can't I want the game to go back to the scary atmosphere and cinematic story-telling but incorporate current-generation controls? How many people have you heard say "Resident Evil needs to go back to what made the first two games so great: the controls!" Video games franchise can evolve and incorporate new game-play elements while still remaining true to the essence of the original games.

The stop-and-shoot style was a lazy cop-out excuse from Capcom on making the game more intense by handicapping the player's ability to move instead of making the game actually scary or more challenging. Dead Space 1 and 2 were very successful and popular survival horror games that allowed more fluid movements while still retaining a scary atmosphere. In those games you still had to think about where you position yourself in rooms and around monsters. Often times you had to make the decision of running to reposition yourself for safer firing. You had to conserve your ammo through use of stasis and telekinesis effects because you would quickly run out of ammo if you played like Rambo.

So don't say you have to use Playstation 1 gameplay mechanics to make a truly scary survival horror experience, because Dead Space has proven that to be incorrect.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Er... I'm just not feeling this argument man. Why can't I want the game to go back to the scary atmosphere and cinematic story-telling but incorporate current-generation controls? How many people have you heard say "Resident Evil needs to go back to what made the first two games so great: the controls!" Video games franchise can evolve and incorporate new game-play elements while still remaining true to the essence of the original games.

The stop-and-shoot style was a lazy cop-out excuse from Capcom on making the game more intense by handicapping the player's ability to move instead of making the game actually scary or more challenging. Dead Space 1 and 2 were very successful and popular survival horror games that allowed more fluid movements while still retaining a scary atmosphere. In those games you still had to think about where you position yourself in rooms and around monsters. Often times you had to make the decision of running to reposition yourself for safer firing. You had to conserve your ammo through use of stasis and telekinesis effects because you would quickly run out of ammo if you played like Rambo.

So don't say you have to use Playstation 1 gameplay mechanics to make a truly scary survival horror experience, because Dead Space has proven that to be incorrect.
Wow, you completely missed what i was getting at. At no point do i say that you have to use the PS1 control style to make the games more scary. I even said "archaic controls aside" which means that i'm not even talking about them. I simply stated that if you wanted to keep closer to the roots of the RE series that making it a run and gun would be a step backwards.

I said nothing about making the game more scary and made several statements about how the controls can play into the intensity or tension of certain situations. I made no connection of scary=old control style.

As to the idea that Dead Space was scary, yeah for maybe the first 10 minutes then it was the same old crap all over again and again. Dead Space was more about shit popping out of corners and screaming at you then any real building of tension. The only time that game got more worrisome was when they tossed in the zero gravity rooms. They did do a good job at limiting your ammo and your general inventory space which was good for adding to the tension though.

RE's scariness was about being in a place with a bunch of monsters that you should be trying to run from more then getting into a fire fight with. Anyone who knows RE2 to have mastered it knows that you can finish some of the play throughs with 200+ bullets spread over your weapons.

But at the end of the day none of these games are in fact "scary". The idea that these games scare the average person is as silly as the idea that the latest horror flick actually scaring ppl. They can startle you, to be sure, but so can any unexpected sudden load noise. What these good games do is build tension and it can be hard to do that if your a near god running around unloading clip after clip into near empty rooms.

Hell the way i see it the more the RE games move towards traditional FPS's then they might as well start making games based on the RE movies
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
I agree too. Going back to Resident Evil's roots, doesn't mean making the player control like a tank, it's building the whole atmosphere of the game, something which Resident Evil 4 and 5 both took away from the franchise. The Dead Space argument is a very valid argument that took the "Haunted House" environment from the early Resident Evil games, and incorporated an updated control scheme, but one that was still challenging enough by creating engaging enemies. Resident Evil 6 could really pull this off, by creating the right mix of enemies between old school and new (which from what I see looks like they have), while keeping the environment contained into urban familiar areas.

One of the many reasons I didn't care for 4 and 5 was that they staged themselves in a Transylvanian land and one in a shanty town of Africa, two environments that just didn't work for me, as an avid fan of the Resident Evil franchise. I want chaos on the streets of Raccoon city or maybe the virus has spread to a larger city. I want to be chased by zombified citizens not farmers with machete's and pitchforks! I want to fight creatures not pirates with guns and knights with axes!

Bring back the scare factor and story and set it in the right environment!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I haven't played that much of the RE franchise. But I've played quite a bit of the Silent Hill franchise. The Silent Hill games suck now for the same reason many are saying RE 4 and 5 weren't that great.
With Silent Hill: homecoming, they abandoned a great story, scary atmosphere, and genuine horror.
Instead they focused on making the game more action oriented with more complex controls. That was the focus rather than atmospheric horror gameplay, and it ruined the series for me. Not only was the game less atmospheric, but the controls were horrid.
Then again, the developers of SH Homecoming weren't the same developers as the first 4 games.
Even still, I understand the argument as it relates to the RE franchise. Ultimately, survival horror is dependent on 'horror'. Creating a genuinely creepy atmosphere is usually the key to a great horror story.

With RE 5, it's not as creepy as previous installments and the controls are more complex. I think a lot of this has to do with controlling the camera. In previous survival horror games, the camera was fixed on the player in a variety of angles. Which meant that a monster could be standing a few feet in front of you sometimes, and you wouldn't know it.
This was an odd system, but it worked.
As the demand for more interactive and complex games grew, developers that were good at 'fixed camera' horror games were trying to figure out more complex ways of doing a horror game.
Essentially, the question became "how can we make our next game more complex and interactive than our last?"

The answers that followed seemed to be,

1) a dynamic camera
2) interactive cutscenes
3) more character ability (rolling, blockading doors etc..)

The problem is, in experimenting with these new gameplay elements, they lost some of the atmosphere.
Not to mention that they weren't very good at 1,2, and 3 to begin with. Therefor, as already mentioned, the games failed as both action and horror.

For me, I don't want a balance of the two. I want a horror game. Which btw, if anyone wants a great horror game check out "Amnesia: Dark Descent"... It's brilliantly scary from what I played of it.
Back to my point, I want a horror game. I want a game with a creepy atmosphere, deep characters, an eerie soundtrack, and a great story.
What I don't want is buckets of ammo, hundreds of badguys to shoot, and a few boo scares every once in a while.

I think developers should work in their complexities in a more atmospheric setting rather than make the assumption that advanced control schemes and greater interactivity should be used primarily for action.

I have no experience with the Dead Space franchise, but if it's as good as DaveyJoeG says it is, i'll likely check it out soon.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Wow, you completely missed what i was getting at. At no point do i say that you have to use the PS1 control style to make the games more scary. I even said "archaic controls aside" which means that i'm not even talking about them. I simply stated that if you wanted to keep closer to the roots of the RE series that making it a run and gun would be a step backwards.
I get that, and I don't agree. I think you can have the ability to run-and-gun without inherently making the game less scary. That's why I brought up Dead Space, you could run-and-gun if you wanted to, but the game still had terrific atmosphere, ammo limitations, and dynamic enemies that require smart positioning for survival.

You keep talking about "returning the game to its roots" and saying I'm missing the point. But I'm the only one who has defined what I mean by returning the game to its roots. I've stated that I want to the horror film atmosphere and cinematic story telling to return and that the control scheme is irrelevant to those aspects.

Quote:
I said nothing about making the game more scary and made several statements about how the controls can play into the intensity or tension of certain situations. I made no connection of scary=old control style.
For many the controls RE5 were not intense, but instead frustrating. When you feel like you don't have great control over your character it can hurt the enjoyment of the game. Many people complained about the controls of RE5, I didn't hear anybody complain about the controls of Dead Space, but many people would describe that game as being intense. I say that Capcom used the intensity factor as an excuse for shitty controls.

Quote:
As to the idea that Dead Space was scary, yeah for maybe the first 10 minutes then it was the same old crap all over again and again. Dead Space was more about shit popping out of corners and screaming at you then any real building of tension. The only time that game got more worrisome was when they tossed in the zero gravity rooms. They did do a good job at limiting your ammo and your general inventory space which was good for adding to the tension though.
I thought it was scary. To me there was plenty of tension due to the atmosphere of the game, the lighting and the music, etc. Did you play the games with Surround Sound? I can't begin to describe the way I felt when I heard faint whispering just behind me as I explored the Ishimura in Dead Space. I was afraid of what was lurking around every corner. The chapter in Dead Space 2 when you return to the Ishimura was simply chilling, and the first half of that chapter barely threw any enemies at you. RE5 didn't come close to the tension or intensity that the DS games reached.

Quote:
But at the end of the day none of these games are in fact "scary". The idea that these games scare the average person is as silly as the idea that the latest horror flick actually scaring ppl. They can startle you, to be sure, but so can any unexpected sudden load noise. What these good games do is build tension and it can be hard to do that if your a near god running around unloading clip after clip into near empty rooms.
Funny that sounds a lot more like RE5 than Dead Space.

Quote:
Hell the way i see it the more the RE games move towards traditional FPS's then they might as well start making games based on the RE movies
I've actually said before that Capcom may be bringing the franchise closer to action games because of the popularity of the movies, which are clearly just action films with monsters in them.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 01-23-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
I get that, and I don't agree. I think you can have the ability to run-and-gun without inherently making the game less scary. That's why I brought up Dead Space, you could run-and-gun if you wanted to, but the game still had terrific atmosphere, ammo limitations, and dynamic enemies that require smart positioning for survival.
I'm not saying it can't i'm saying it makes it harder. Be honest here as to which you would build more tension a) a character that controls poorly and has maybe a single clip on them or b) a character moves like they are a combat specialist with seemingly endless ammo? I'm not asking which you prefer in a game i'm asking which builds more tension.

So with that i mind moving towards the latter could be detrimental to the tension while sticking closer to the former could help build the tension. That's all im saying, not a its either this or that.

Quote:
For many the controls RE5 were not intense, but instead frustrating. When you feel like you don't have great control over your character it can hurt the enjoyment of the game. Many people complained about the controls of RE5, I didn't hear anybody complain about the controls of Dead Space, but many people would describe that game as being intense. I say that Capcom used the intensity factor as an excuse for shitty controls.
Now not to nitpick here but you need to define what it was about the controls that ppl complained about. The only real complains i've ever heard was the inability to move and shoot, that's it. If that is what you are referring to then that's just the FPSr's crying about a game that is not supposed to be an FPS in the first place.

If it's something else let me know. I never had any troubles with the controls.

Quote:
I thought it was scary. To me there was plenty of tension due to the atmosphere of the game, the lighting and the music, etc. Did you play the games with Surround Sound? I can't begin to describe the way I felt when I heard faint whispering just behind me as I explored the Ishimura in Dead Space. I was afraid of what was lurking around every corner. The chapter in Dead Space 2 when you return to the Ishimura was simply chilling, and the first half of that chapter barely threw any enemies at you. RE5 didn't come close to the tension or intensity that the DS games reached.
So now you are taking the convo into the realm of sound to aid in tension and making something scary. Why are you bringing up sound? That's a whole other aspect to a game that has nothing to do with controls, which is what this discussion has centered around for the past couple posts.

If you are saying RE5 fell short in aspects aside from the controls then thats cool but i don;t know what it has to do with this debate.

Quote:
Funny that sounds a lot more like RE5 than Dead Space.
Yeah Dead Space built good tension, never said it didn't, but it wasn't scary. But this is like the above post about Sound, i never said that the controls make or break tension in the game but can add to or detract form it. Yes you could move and shoot and sort of run and gun in Dead Space but the reason it was still tense was that you had very limited ammo. This again has nothing to do with the controls and to be honest i agree that something like limiting ammo more is a way to get the RE series back to its roots.

Quote:
I've actually said before that Capcom may be bringing the franchise closer to action games because of the popularity of the movies, which are clearly just action films with monsters in them.
Capcom is a company for of ass hats who haven't known how to make a good game for close to a decade. The only times they seem to come close is when they dish out a new installment of one of their classic series and even then they are hardly as good by comparison to their earlier installments.

I think we can all agree on one thing though. For scary/tension fulled astmospheric games the Silent Hill series crushes all!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying it can't i'm saying it makes it harder. Be honest here as to which you would build more tension a) a character that controls poorly and has maybe a single clip on them or b) a character moves like they are a combat specialist with seemingly endless ammo? I'm not asking which you prefer in a game i'm asking which builds more tension.
I don't care about difficulty, I want a satisfying survival horror game. RE5 failed to deliver. I'm a trophy-whore so I wound up beating RE5 on the hardest difficulty(professional) but the infinite ammo I had unlocked made it pretty easy. "A character that controls poorly" shouldn't be in a high-profile video game, no matter what bullshit excuse the studio is shoving down our throats.

Quote:
So with that i mind moving towards the latter could be detrimental to the tension while sticking closer to the former could help build the tension. That's all im saying, not a its either this or that.
There's a lot more to tension than how frustrating the controls are.

Quote:
Now not to nitpick here but you need to define what it was about the controls that ppl complained about. The only real complains i've ever heard was the inability to move and shoot, that's it. If that is what you are referring to then that's just the FPSr's crying about a game that is not supposed to be an FPS in the first place.
That's exactly the complaint many people had about the controls and it has nothing to do with FPS games. It has to do with the fact that Resident Evil 5 went into a heavy-action shooter style of a game while using outdated control schemes that are put to shame by controls in better modern action games. Run-and-gun capability does not make Resident Evil a FPS, unless you're playing the game through a first-person perspective it's still a 3rd person shooter.

Quote:
So now you are taking the convo into the realm of sound to aid in tension and making something scary. Why are you bringing up sound? That's a whole other aspect to a game that has nothing to do with controls, which is what this discussion has centered around for the past couple posts.
If you don't understand how sound and music can increase tension in a game I don't know what to tell you. We're on a movie discussion board so we should all understand how important sound is to creating atmosphere and intesity in something like a horror film. I've been discussing a lot more than simply controls in my posts on the subject, look at how many times I've brought up horror-film atmospherics and cinematic storytelling. There are a wide variety of aspects that build tension in a video game and Dead Space had them all in spades whereas RE5 was severely lacking.

Quote:
If you are saying RE5 fell short in aspects aside from the controls then thats cool but i don;t know what it has to do with this debate.
That's all I've been talking about. I mean you're the one who brought up positioning your character around enemies and ammo limitations. Then I brought up the fact that Dead Space successfully incorporated those elements along with a run-and-gun style.

Quote:
Yeah Dead Space built good tension, never said it didn't, but it wasn't scary. But this is like the above post about Sound, i never said that the controls make or break tension in the game but can add to or detract form it. Yes you could move and shoot and sort of run and gun in Dead Space but the reason it was still tense was that you had very limited ammo. This again has nothing to do with the controls and to be honest i agree that something like limiting ammo more is a way to get the RE series back to its roots.
Well maybe you could define what exactly you consider to be scary because you're beginning to confuse me. You first said

Quote:
So what is scary to you, it's not shit popping out at you, so does tension make a game scary? Apparently not because you said Dead Space was tense, but not scary.

Quote:
Capcom is a company for of ass hats who haven't known how to make a good game for close to a decade. The only times they seem to come close is when they dish out a new installment of one of their classic series and even then they are hardly as good by comparison to their earlier installments.

I think we can all agree on one thing though. For scary/tension fulled astmospheric games the Silent Hill series crushes all!
I agree with all of this. Capcom has been disappointing fans for some time now. Silent Hill 2 is still one of my favorite survival horror games of all time.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Silent Hill 2 is still one of my favorite survival horror games of all time.
Silent Hill 2 is my favorite survival horror game of all time. And Silent Hill 4 is my second favorite. I wish 4 was going to be in the HD pack. What ending did you get on 2 first play through?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
There's a lot more to tension than how frustrating the controls are..
Yes there is but its the controls that we are discussing.

Quote:
That's exactly the complaint many people had about the controls and it has nothing to do with FPS games. It has to do with the fact that Resident Evil 5 went into a heavy-action shooter style of a game while using outdated control schemes that are put to shame by controls in better modern action games. Run-and-gun capability does not make Resident Evil a FPS, unless you're playing the game through a first-person perspective it's still a 3rd person shooter.
Well that is a mistake by Capcom and what they wanted the game to be. There are countless examples of a company trying to cash in on an older popular franchise and the product they put out not being what was advertised. And i know the difference between 3rd and 1st person cameras but these days most games give you the option of switching between the two so the distinction isn't what it used to be.

Quote:
If you don't understand how sound and music can increase tension in a game I don't know what to tell you. We're on a movie discussion board so we should all understand how important sound is to creating atmosphere and intesity in something like a horror film. I've been discussing a lot more than simply controls in my posts on the subject, look at how many times I've brought up horror-film atmospherics and cinematic storytelling. There are a wide variety of aspects that build tension in a video game and Dead Space had them all in spades whereas RE5 was severely lacking.
Sigh. Once again you're saying things that i never said. I never stated i didn't understand how sound builds tension i said i didn't understand how that has anything to do about the controls and how they play into that tension. Any fucking game can have atmospheric tension with sound and lighting but that is not what is being discussed here.

Quote:
That's all I've been talking about. I mean you're the one who brought up positioning your character around enemies and ammo limitations. Then I brought up the fact that Dead Space successfully incorporated those elements along with a run-and-gun style.
This bit makes no sense. We aren't talking about how RE5 stacks up against Dead Space. If you have other problems with RE5 outside of the controls that's fine but agtain i state that i have no idea what that has to do about controls. If you think Dead Space did 9 out of 10 things better then RE5 then sweet, cool, rock on. But we are discussing the controls.

And for the records i mention positioning in respect to RE5 and Ammo and inventory in respect to Dead Space. Not all Dead Space.

Quote:
Well maybe you could define what exactly you consider to be scary because you're beginning to confuse me. You first said

So what is scary to you, it's not shit popping out at you, so does tension make a game scary? Apparently not because you said Dead Space was tense, but not scary.
No problem. Something that is scary is something that continues to inspire dread or terror in a person. Being scared by something once does no quailify something as scary. For it to be scary you would have to keep being scared of it. Dead Space was scary for the first 10 minutes. Then it turned into the same asshat busting out of a vent over and over again.

It ceased to be scary. That clear for ya?

Quote:
I agree with all of this. Capcom has been disappointing fans for some time now. Silent Hill 2 is still one of my favorite survival horror games of all time.
Well at least thats something we can come to terms on, lol.

But one last thing. You say SH2 is one of your fav survivor horror games yet it stars an every man, who is clumsy, can barely shoot straight and can't move while shooting so clearly that formula does work.

I think in the end we can both agree that RE5 was a horrible let down, regardless of our personal opinions on how to improve it might be
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Silent Hill 2 is my favorite survival horror game of all time. And Silent Hill 4 is my second favorite. I wish 4 was going to be in the HD pack. What ending did you get on 2 first play through?
Half the time i get the water ending cause i never give a shit about Maria, lol. i honestly can't recal the ending i got on the first play through, probably the water ending, lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Half the time i get the water ending cause i never give a shit about Maria, lol. i honestly can't recal the ending i got on the first play through, probably the water ending, lol.
I think I got the Leave ending, but I'm not totally sure. Is fighting demonic maria in all of the endings? I don't remember lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Yes there is but its the controls that we are discussing.
No, you want to tunnel-vision on the controls when I'm talking about the overall survival horror aspects of Resident Evil 5, or lack thereof.

Quote:
Sigh. Once again you're saying things that i never said. I never stated i didn't understand how sound builds tension i said i didn't understand how that has anything to do about the controls and how they play into that tension. Any fucking game can have atmospheric tension with sound and lighting but that is not what is being discussed here.
That's not putting words in your mouth, me saying you don't understand something does not mean I think you admitted that you don't understand. I'm trying to discuss a variety of things that add to suspense and tension in a video game, because whether or not you want to focus on controls, music and sound effects are a big part of the atmosphere of a survival horror game.

We're talking about survival horror games and their effective level of scariness, why can't I bring up sound? The controls of RE5 are just one of the many reasons I think that game failed, but I've been bringing up the importance of atmosphere in survival horror games since my first post in this thread.

Quote:
This bit makes no sense. We aren't talking about how RE5 stacks up against Dead Space. If you have other problems with RE5 outside of the controls that's fine but agtain i state that i have no idea what that has to do about controls. If you think Dead Space did 9 out of 10 things better then RE5 then sweet, cool, rock on. But we are discussing the controls.
I don't know why you're getting so hung up on just one of the issues I've been bringing up in this thread. Why can't the discussion naturally evolve and incorporate multiple topics? You're the one who wants to just focus on controls. You say Dead Space is not scary, then I explain why I found Dead Space to be scary, so you respond by saying I can't bring those things up because it has nothing to do with the controls. Uh... no, but it has something to do with your claim that Dead Space isn't scary.

Quote:
No problem. Something that is scary is something that continues to inspire dread or terror in a person. Being scared by something once does no quailify something as scary. For it to be scary you would have to keep being scared of it.
Which is why I brought up the music and atmosphere of Dead Space. Those elements inspired sustained dread for me.

Quote:
But one last thing. You say SH2 is one of your fav survivor horror games yet it stars an every man, who is clumsy, can barely shoot straight and can't move while shooting so clearly that formula does work.
SH2 is one of my favorite survival horror games, so is Dead Space 1 and 2, and the early Resident Evil games. Silent Hill and Resident Evil have both had games ranging from great to mediocre. It's not about the formula, but the execution that makes a great survival horror game.

Quote:
I think in the end we can both agree that RE5 was a horrible let down, regardless of our personal opinions on how to improve it might be
Absolutely!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I think I got the Leave ending, but I'm not totally sure. Is fighting demonic maria in all of the endings? I don't remember lol.
Not that i recall, though fighting demonic Mary is the final boss, stoopid butterflies.