Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Never played Diablo before, now they are going to consoles, please someone explain the appeal? Is it all about the options and story?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
Never played Diablo before, now they are going to consoles, please someone explain the appeal? Is it all about the options and story?
The story is a good part of it, as it does actually have really good story compared to the standard hack n' slashes.

As for the appeal, well it's really just a hack n slash game with rpg elements made with really high quality. If you don't like hacking and slashing, powerful magic, dungeon crawling, fighting awesome bosses, upgrading your gear with better and better stuff dropped by said awesome bosses then it may not be for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Well the release date has officially been pushed back to the second quarter, sometime between April and June.

Can't say I didn't see it coming.

I did get into the beta though back on Feb 1st. Game has a few longterm serious flaws (which is why I think they are pushing it back.) The current skill system just does not support any replay value and I think they realized that so they are going to try and rework the entire thing. Thus the delay. That's just my theory though I don't have any proof. But currently the way the game is right now, once you get 5 characters there is no reason to create any new characters since you can change your skills at a whim with no penalty.

My two favorite classes in the Beta are Wizard and Monk. Barbarian comes in a surprising 3rd place since I wasn't expecting it to be fun but the sheer force of your hack and slash gives it a strange sense of satisfaction. Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor were pretty boring to me. Granted it's only the first 13 levels, so everything changes once more skills get unlocked.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
...then it may not be for you.
Nah, its for everyone. Whether they realize it or not.

Also, what is the source saying it is officially pushed back? I havent seen anything on the website.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Nah, its for everyone. Whether they realize it or not.

Also, what is the source saying it is officially pushed back? I havent seen anything on the website.
Quarterly earnings report by Activision Blizzard.

Quote:
Blizzard Entertainment's Mike Morhaime said the company is planning to release Diablo 3 by the end of the second fiscal quarter this year, which means the game should hit store shelves by the end of June if everything goes according to plan.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks.

And damn.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Official release date is May 15th.

That's actually a lot sooner than I was expecting. I'm a sucker and I went ahead and did the WoW annual pass promotion (available through the end of April).

Can't wait! I'm even thinking about taking some vacation.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Two days left!!!

Who is excited?!!?!?!?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you Blizzard, for making us all wait some more...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Thank you Blizzard, for making us all wait some more...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Lol ya people are pretty pissed over that. I think they kinda deserve the bad reviews on the game because of it.

Oh well... in a few weeks nobody will remember or care.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Battletag is DaveyJoe1313
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll wait until Battle.net problems are addressed but it's on my list

Until then , i'll just LOL at watching IF DIABLO 3 WERE A GIRL
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I haven't had any issues with Bnet in the past 2 days of playing. FYI. I think it was just the first day and a half that people were having issues.

I'm about halfway through Act 3 on solo play and I am enjoying the game a lot. I know it will be A LOT more fun playing with other people though. I just wanted to do one play through by myself to watch all the cutscenes and read all the story text. After that I imagine myself basically playing in public games 99.9% of the time.

Great game. It's worth the 60 dollars even if all you do is play through the campaign once like you would any other single player game.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
I had to go through 4 hours of play with constant disconnects every 10 minutes the 3rd day after release before I got pissed enough to look for support on the issue. Apparently the game doesn't like D-Link routers, so I had to put my PC in the DMZ. Stopped any further disconnects, but I hope Blizzard fixes that issue...I don't want my computer to be out in the wilderness for too long.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I finished the campaign on Normal with my monk.

I have to admit the story dropped off a little bit after Act 2. Act 1 and Act 2 had pretty good engaging story lines where as Act 3 and Act 4 dropped the story and replaced it with retardedly awesome visuals. Act 3 and 4 are really where the style shines through.

Is it as good as Diablo 2? That's like asking if the cast of SNL now is better than the cast of SNL when you were a teenager. It's just not a fair comparison.

The game has MUCH more depth to it than D2. The gameplay can be challenging while remaining intuitive which is really a great accomplishment in any game.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm really fighting the urge to go pick this up. I don't think im winning
Old 05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I'm really fighting the urge to go pick this up. I don't think im winning
Why fight the urge? It's not going to get a price drop for a long time.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Why fight the urge? It's not going to get a price drop for a long time.
Its a time thing really and i recall how much of my life Diablo II swallowed up, heh.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Its a time thing really and i recall how much of my life Diablo II swallowed up, heh.
Fair enough, especially considering I probably spent a good 20 hours playing it this weekend.

Personally though I don't see it having the same replay value Diablo 2 did. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. In Diablo 2 I had a bear druid, a wolf druid, an elemental druid, and a summoning druid for example. But in D3 it's basically just one character per class needed since you can change your skills at a whim.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Fair enough, especially considering I probably spent a good 20 hours playing it this weekend.

Personally though I don't see it having the same replay value Diablo 2 did. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. In Diablo 2 I had a bear druid, a wolf druid, an elemental druid, and a summoning druid for example. But in D3 it's basically just one character per class needed since you can change your skills at a whim.
Picked the game up, made myself goto bed at midnight. It was difficult.

As to how the classes are set up i think its cause they are probably wanting to introduce more PvP aspects and ppl will want to tweak and play around with the rune combinations. Personally i though Diablo 2's lvling system was too restrictive, you couldn't reset and respend your pts or anything and as you point out there were at times several different 'versions' of any class that you could play.

I think the replay will come out of the online interaction and things like having an Auction House will really help that.

Oh, i started a Demon Hunter. My Battle tag is Treefity#1658

Last edited by vesaker; 05-29-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
As to how the classes are set up i think its cause they are probably wanting to introduce more PvP aspects and ppl will want to tweak and play around with the rune combinations. Personally i though Diablo 2's lvling system was too restrictive, you could reset and respend your pts or anything and as you point out there were at times several different 'versions' of any class that you could play.
It's one of those things that I know is a change for the better, but I still can't help but miss the old way it was done.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
I was reading up on a bunch of the skills/runes for hte Demon Hunter and its going to interesting to see some of the combos work out.

I'm starting to wonder how the grouping aspect will work online. Like will you all be expected to DPS while using your utility skills to help or will it drop into a tank/heal/dps type set up? I hope it doesn't fall into the latter as that will remove a lot of the 'choice' you have in what skills/runes you use.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
There is no expectation to tank or heal from any class. It's basically just everyone dpses and then uses utility to survive.

Obviously if a group can coordinate their utility spells they will be far more successful.

As far as choice in runes... I have a feeling if you want to play in the inferno difficulty your pretty much going to be trapped into using a specific set of skills and runes. At best you could hope that you change them out for boss fights. I can't say from experience though because I only got to about halfway through Nightmare with my Monk before I decided to play a Wizard instead.

Personally I'm kind of stuck in the roleplaying mentality... as in I set all my Wizard skills to be lightning at one time. Or all fire at one time etc.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
bloody servers are down
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not a huge PC gamer and I never played any other Diablo games, but I picked this up after hearing some positive reviews. I needed a new game to play. In the week I've had it, I've attempted to launch and play the game probably about 6 times. 3 of those times, I couldn't play because the servers were down. That's including the first time I tried after first installing. It took me a few minutes to realize what the hell was going on. Guess that's what I get for not scouring the net and reading through tons of gaming forum posts before I buy a game.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Except for the very first day I haven't had a single problem trying to log in.

I guess it's just bad luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
I'll forgive last nights sever indiscretion due to them releasing a patch. if this shit happens more often though i'm going to be pissed.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Damnit, I was in a game with a Witch Doctor and they had some awesome looking skills. That made me go online and play with the Witch Doctor skill calculator...

Now I want to be a Witch Doctor...

Quote:
I'll forgive last nights sever indiscretion due to them releasing a patch. if this shit happens more often though i'm going to be pissed.
It sucks for sure, but always online single player is the future of PC gaming. In fact it's probably inevitably the future of console gaming as well. But that's an argument for another thread.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
A few tips:

Don't bother leveling the blacksmith. His stuff is entirely useless throughout Normal and Nightmare. You will always find better stuff from monsters or the auction house.

Only pick up gems and blue or better items.

I just sell my blue stuff to vendors for gold, since blacksmithing is useless there is no reason to salvage.

I sell my yellows on the auction house for cheap like 1k gold each just so they sell fast. You can only put 10 up at a time.

Most important item for normal and nightmare is your weapon. In Normal, search the AH for a yellow weapon with a socket. Then put the highest red gem you can find in the socket. This will, in most situations, doublet the DPS of the weapon and will be really all you need to melt faces.

Oh and my battletag is jolanar#1353. ( Don't know why they put a number after it, I have literally never seen anyone else use that id before. )
Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah i was reading, on BLizzards own site no less, that the Blacksmithing was pretty usless so far.

Just got the jewelcrafter guy last night and he's awesome. I'm loving how you canpull gems back out of itmes for only the cost of a few hundred gold, so sweet.

For my Demon Hunter i'm pretty much jsut trying to stack as much Dex as i can. Hopeing to get Dex and Vitality on yellow piecs later. Really liking how the DH plays as well. Teamed up with the Templar i can focus more on outputting dmg and less on keeping myself alive, which is nice.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Wow. The bnet forums leave me with my jaw on the floor.

I knew Blizzard players were whiny and demanding but this brings it to a whole new level. Like... I actually feel sorry for these people. You would think they have a gun to there heads being forced to play Diablo. Just mindblowing.

I just don't get what people expected. Diablo is still at it's core a single player story campaign, yet these people who are putting in 80 hours a week playing it are somehow unsatisfied? It seems like most people were expecting a Diablo MMO, and were disappointed when all they get was Diablo 3. Who knows...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
^Agreed. I can't stand reading the forums because everybody has such a ridiculous sense of entitlement. Guess what losers, you don't get to pick how difficult Blizzard wants their game to be. I personally think it's refreshing to see a mainstream title offer a challenging level as opposed to catering to the mainstream players.

Do they want to conquer everything in the game just weeks after it's release? The difficulty of inferno mode is what adds the replay value and sense of accomplishment. But these forum whiners want everything handed to them with no real challenge. I wonder if they beat the hardest difficulties for every game they play, or if they just assumed Blizzard would make this game ez-mode like WoW.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah Blizz created a whole new demo-graph of whinny gamers with World of Warcraft and it seems to have spilled into their other games.

I'm with jolanar in that this is everything Diablo 3 should be, all the great stuff from D2 with great adds or twists of existing mechanics. Mind you i have at times felt a little bored playing, the same way i would playing D2, but it passes quickly.

In fact the only thing i don't like about the game so far is the gear is a little TOO random for my tastes. I mean why bother having class specific gear like the hand x-bows and quivers for the Demon Hunters if they are going to spawn with Str and Int when all i want is Dex and some Vit? Classes specific gear should only spawn with that classes stats imo.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
There's apparently a slew of reports coming that people's accounts are being hacked, and losing their loot. Best advice I can give everyone who is playing the game to use the authenticator! Save yourself the grief!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
There's apparently a slew of reports coming that people's accounts are being hacked, and losing their loot. Best advice I can give everyone who is playing the game to use the authenticator! Save yourself the grief!
I haz it because it gave a cool Corehound puppy pet for WOW back then
Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I haz it because it gave a cool Corehound puppy pet for WOW back then
I had one on my phone, but it randomly got got untied from my account so I was locked out of my account until I sent them a photo ID to confirm I wanted it removed.

Haven't put it back on since that hassle.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Beat Normal on my Demon Hunter last night and i gotta say, that Diablo fight was pretty underwhelming. The game is good fun though. Can't wait to start an Int user as i have like 7 yellow pieces just sitting in my stash for lvl 18-26
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Bloody hell the difficulty curve when simply changing acts can be quite steep at times! The bosses get much harder once you get past normal, not crazy harder but harder. I died probably 3 times on Belial on nightmare (1 on normal) and must have died like 8 times on Azmodan in nightmare (0 in normal).

Still tons of fun though.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
This game seems to have died down depressingly fast. 90% of my friends who were hyped for years (just as I was) have stopped playing. We all played for about 2 weeks and then just sort of stopped mentioning it/asking to play with one another. Sort of sad. I was expected its re-play value to be that of Diablo and Diablo II (+ LoD). Unfortunately that was not the case and most of the community seems to have stopped playing as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
This game seems to have died down depressingly fast. 90% of my friends who were hyped for years (just as I was) have stopped playing. We all played for about 2 weeks and then just sort of stopped mentioning it/asking to play with one another. Sort of sad. I was expected its re-play value to be that of Diablo and Diablo II (+ LoD). Unfortunately that was not the case and most of the community seems to have stopped playing as well.
Diablo 1 never really had that much replay, and Diablo 2 didn't really have that much until LoD came out IMO. I don't really have any memories of playing D2 online for hours and hours except after LoD came out.

Of course the vast majority were never going to play past the first few weeks to begin with anyways. And that's not even getting into to the fact that people had very unrealistic expectations.