Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Official PACIFIC RIM (Guillermo Del Toro) Thread (July 12, 2013)

Filming began on November 14, 2011.

Summary:
Quote:
an upcoming science fiction kaiju film directed by Guillermo Del Toro based on a screenplay by Travis Beacham. The film is set in the future where soldiers piloting giant robots battle against giant monsters who have mysteriously risen five miles beneath the ocean. The film will be an homage to the giant monster movies from Japan, known as the kaiju genre. Del Toro has said the film will be "a beautiful poem to giant monsters".

Synopsis:
Quote:
The first is an alternate version of Earth in the near future, decades after a historic date in November 2012 when the first kaiju, a towering Godzilla-like beast, emerged from a hole in the Pacific Ocean and attacked the city of Osaka, Japan. The second is "The Anteverse," another universe on the other side of that gaping portal, 5 miles below our ocean's surface.

Since the first attack, the rim has been "spitting out" a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles. In order to combat these monstrous, otherworldly menaces, the military developed the "Jaeger" program, which trains teams of two pilots to jointly operate massive, building-sized mechanized suits of armor and high-tech weaponry. Within the first act alone, we are given enough detailed background on the god-like Jaeger systems, its shared neural piloting system (called "pons"), and the relentless beasts. But Beacham is an absolute master at immediately establishing characters and their conflicts.

The central character is Raleigh Antrobus, 23, a skilled Jaeger pilot still wrestling emotionally with the loss of his co-pilot and biological brother, Yance, during a mission a year earlier. The ordeal has wreaked havoc on his mind spirit, leaving him with ghostly nightmares of the battle from the shared "pons" experience. After the initial setup, the damaged hero is recruited to re-join the task force in Tokyo, where pilots are in demand, and team with a fellow "leftover," 22-year-old female Japanese pilot Mako Mori. Naturally, the language barrier (among other things) presents an issue for the out-of-sync duo, meaning an even steeper learning curve for the unprecedented pairing.

Meanwhile, Felicity "Flick" Kincaid, a journalist and Yance's former fiancťe, circles the globe (ours) to discover answers about this mysterious rift and the origins of its intensifying threat."

Cast:
  • Charlie Hunnam as Raleigh Antrobus
  • Idris Elba as Stacker Pentecost
  • Charlie Day as Newt Gotlieb
  • Ron Perlman
  • Rinko Kikuchi as Mako Mori
  • Clifton Collins Jr.
  • Max Martini as Herc Hansen

VFX: John Knoll as VFX Supervisor and ILM

I am soooo down for this. It already has my imagination at play. I loved watching those old Gozilla movies when I was a kid. del Toro being the fanboy that he is, I have no doubts will give us what we all crave.

Concept Artists:

Wayne Barlowe
Spoiler:

Guy Davis
Spoiler:

Francisco Ruiz Velasco
Spoiler:

Simon Lee
Spoiler:

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
As a Kaiju fan, this movie has me giddy as all hell. A big budget Kaiju flick directed by Del Toro! Hell yes!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Wasn't Tom Cruise supposed to be in this?

Anyway, this sounds cool and fun as hell. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Wasn't Tom Cruise supposed to be in this?

Anyway, this sounds cool and fun as hell. Looking forward to it.
No, you're confusing this with At the Mountains of Madness which fell through, at least for a while
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Del Toro talks a bit about the film http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/681...tml#id=1668871
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Comic Con Pre-Production panel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN2L9KvuTQ damn that was the first time I heard Idris' brit accent

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-02-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Holy shit, this sounds way more interesting than I thought it would be. Plus Del Toro is one of my favorite directors, so this movie already has my money.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Comic Con Pre-Production panel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN2L9KvuTQ damn that was the first time I heard Idris' brit accent

Wait.... you don't watch Luther??!!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 AM
I just finished the script a minute ago and raced out here, obviously.

Let me reassure everyone we're in good hands here. I'm not going to over-hype anything here but the script I read was solid enough that I read it in one sitting. It's obviously typical blockbuster fare, but I think in Del Toro's hands it'll be more than average for sure. There were moments, the more quieter moments of characterization that I didn't really connect, or care much about but I don't know what to expect out of a film which aim is to entertain, which has giant fucking robots fighting giant fucking monsters - Del Toroô

for a film like that it has decent amount of characterization, though, not a whole lot maybe. And as fun as the script is, there's no denying there are occasional cliches, at least two that have been overused to fucking death in genre like this.

As for all the kaiju battles, this shit should be unreal if they bring to life at least half the stuff described in the script.

I'd rate the draft I read an 8/10 - and I'd expect to rate the film as such.

Overall this is easily gonna be exciting
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Idris Elba, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman? What a strange cast, I never thought I'd see those three in a movie about giant monsters. I can't wait!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM
So, just a few little details from what I gathered officially from Del Toro's posts on a fansite forum.
  • Budget is in the 200 mil range.
Quote:
Editor is Peter Amundson (BLADE II, HELLBOY) and we have been editing since start of principal photography.

Music is about to be announced but yes, he is a top-tier composer. I love his scores. And I have not yet worked with him,.

G
Composers could be any of the following

Hans Zimmer
Michael Giacchino
Atticus Ross
James Newton Howard
Howard Shore

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-10-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm a pretty huge Sunny fan and love a lot of Del Toro's work. Should be good.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm hoping this and Prometheus help up Idris Elba's star stock. Dude is a great actor and needs something to shine in since The Wire is long gone.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Charlie Hunnam in this? Wow. I'm really pleased to see the guy in a Blockbuster like this, there is no doubt that Del Toro will make a great film.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty excited for this. I have nothing but faith in Del Toro and to hear that he's taking on a Kaiju film is great. I imagine this being something like what Transformers could have been, had Del Toro directed it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Ok so a small update based on GDT's posts. He told me that the draft that I read has since been changed a bit and tweaked - which he said "good and bad" news. One of the things that has been changed is supposedly the location of the HQ from Japan to Hong Kong, which doesn't really bother me per se, but which is sort of confusing as to why they would do that since Kaiju genre is such a Japanese thing. It could be just one of the locations, but this film's setting is heavily set in Japanese vicinity.

There's also a short little interview with Rinko Kikuchi where she talks slightly about the film

http://collider.com/rinko-kikuchi-no...8/#more-136658

Who do you play in Pacific Rim? Can you tell us what kind of role it is?

KIKUCHI: I play a pilot of a robot. This is my first big action hero role. Sheís really tough.

Do you get to do a lot of action scenes?

KIKUCHI: Yes! Iím so happy [to do that].

What is the coolest part about making Pacific Rim?

KIKUCHI: Everything. My character is really tough. Iíve never played this type of character before. It was a completely new experience for me. I canít stop thinking about this character, but in a really good way. Itís good for me to have fun. Making this film feels like fun and not work.

Whatís it like working with Guillermo del Toro?

KIKUCHI: Iím so happy to work with him. Every moment, he was so happy with the cast and with this shoot. He makes me happy each day when we finish shooting. If heís happy, then that means Iím happy. Iím completely enthusiastic about this character and working for him and making this movie.

What is it like filming in Toronto? How much more shooting is left?

KIKUCHI: Itís still going on. Weíre just in the middle of the shoot. Right now, Iím shooting in Toronto until April with Guillermo.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_alpz View Post
I'm hoping this and Prometheus help up Idris Elba's star stock. Dude is a great actor and needs something to shine in since The Wire is long gone.
Oh it will definitely expose him, he's in it throughout the film, based on the draft I read - but he isn't really one of the 'pilots' of the robots, he's more of the commander who gives out orders and leads the pilots, etc.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear it, Elba has been underrated for a while.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
For some reason I am very interested in this movie. I know we haven't seen very much of course, but from the cast and with Del Toro directing I think this could be a very good movie. I really like Idris Elba and I think Charlie Day is pretty good too. I'm just happy Del Toro is back in the directors chair.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I've never been a huge fan of Del Toro; I loved Pan's Labyrinth but I hated the Hell Boy movies.. :/
I'm interested in this though. I feel like I'll either love it or hate it. I guess it depends if it more closely resembles Pan's Labyrinth or Hell Boy.
Still need to see the Devil's Backbone and Cronos though.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Totally blanked that Charlie Day is gonna be in this. Can't wait to hear the crap he says while shit is going down.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Not exactly confirmed if this is related to Rim, but I thought I'd post it here, as it's pretty relevant.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/01/2...omething-else/
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
yeah that would be a great way to amp up interest in Pacific Rim
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
or its ancient machinery buried deep below ground begining to gear up for the purge.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Well I think it's unrelated to any kind of viral marketing - I think it's just a fad hoax that other people picked up and recreated.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Not exactly confirmed if this is related to Rim, but I thought I'd post it here, as it's pretty relevant.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/01/2...omething-else/
That would be pretty interesting.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...bbit-reaction/

Quote:
GB: I have to ask, I know you have your hands full with ďPacific Rim,Ē but your history with ďThe HobbitĒ is such an unusual one; ďThe HobbitĒ trailer is out now and I was wondering if stirred up a strange mix of emotions for you?

GDT: You know, not really, not at this stage. Iím very happy the movie is in the right hands and Iím very to happy see ó Iím actually elated to see images. I think itís great to see the trailer. Think about it, Iím so fully immersed now in ďPacific Rim.Ē Iím 47 and I never in my life have had as good an experience making a movie as ďPacific RimĒ has been. Itís been a joy every morning from every point of view and I cannot tell you how much Iím enjoying it because I have nothing to compare it to. Part of it is how involved and invested the guys from ILM have been. Itís been amazing.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
This can't lose. We can't lose.

This movie will be a win.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
GDT updates

Quote:
I never "bend" a property to fit me. I just fall in love with the stories and give it my everything, so- don't worry about GOLDEN ARMY Mechas. These are proper robots but they obey our own sensibilities in design. I am not making them gear or steampunky at all but I also don't want them to be just a "riff" on preexisting designs from Anime or games.

As far as Japan, Mako Mori, one of our main characters is Japanese and her flashbacks are tied to a MAJOR set piece set in Tokyo. We are involving - and always have involved- the entire PACIFIC RIM. Japan, China, Australia, Coastal Russia etc, etc No major rewrites took place after the Earthquake. I changed the nature and location of Mako's flashback but it was still in Japan.

Best

GDT
Cool. Japan is still in the film, I guess they just added China for some scenes not really changed Japan for China
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
GDT updates

Cool. Japan is still in the film, I guess they just added China for some scenes not really changed Japan for China
Damn I am excited, I'm glad they are filming in the actual pacific rim areas I think that's pretty awesome.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Idris Elba teasing in a new video http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/733...tml#id=1679217
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
When this was first announced, I wasn't gung-ho about it because I was pretty pissed AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS got canned. While I wish that was still moving forward, I'm fully on board and stoked about this. I mean, it's still another big budget Del Toro monster movie...and with robots! Geek overload.

Last edited by blankpage; 02-14-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM
So we got a rating.

Quote:
GDT wrote:
PG-13. Not PG
I'm content with that.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Kind of figured it would be PG-13, no big surprise there.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Composer confirmed

Quote:
After many months we have finally closed the scoring with Ramin Djawadi- whose scores for Game of Thrones,, Prison Break and Iron Man are amongst my favorites in the last few years.

G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramin_Djawadi
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I was iffy on some of Djawadi's work on Game of Thrones in the first few episodes but the back-half episodes had some decent cues. I'm sure del Toro knows what he's looking for and Djawadi is no stranger to blockbuster work after all.

Can I just say how happy I am that there is a completely original, big-budget tentpole sci-fi flick coming out next year. And not just this one - we've got Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion as well. I'm just happy that studios are taking a few gambles for the tentpole films again rather than giving us yet another sequel or comic book adaptation, etc.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 AM
I hear you man, I really, really fuckin' hope after this film (and I do believe it'll be successful) del Toro will be able to make At the Mountains of Madness... that will surely be a sight and an experience, especially if they give him full control and keep his aim of making it R rated without a happy ending.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Filming is supposedly wrapping up this month.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story...nto-tokyo.html

Was doing my daily newscrawl and came across this.

I thought it was strange that Toronto was standing in for Tokyo and then I realized it must be a post-disaster version of Tokyo and it all made sense.

Also, in the video, the lady claims the movie is called Still Seas, while the article says it's 'Silent Seas aka Pacific Rim'. I'm hoping that's just the CBC reporters picking up the film's on-set code name rather than an actual name change. Pacific Rim is an awesome title, far better sounding than Silent Seas.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Oh dude, they've been filming in TO since November man. "Still Seas" is their cover production name, kinda like TDK had "Rory's First Kiss"

I think our big reveal of Rim is gonna be with TDKR, and Comic Con, no doubt it'll have a presence.

They're finishing main filming on April 23, so if you guys are locals in TO go scope around they've been filming mostly at Toronto Pinewood studios, but I think they're doing some stuff on streets too as JCPhoenix posted