Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM

The Guard(2011)-7/10
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Man on a Ledge - *** 1/2

An early year surprise! I knew I would enjoy this movie, but I didn't know I would love this much! Smart, thrilling, thoroughly engaging with some cool twists (some of which I saw coming and some of which I didn't) and solid work from a good ensemble cast.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 AM
54 (5/10)
Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 PM
The Bellboy - 8/10

The next time I cite a Cahiers du Cinema poll and somebody stuffily informs me "Well, it's the French, they like Jerry Lewis, after all," I'll just tell them to kiss my ass. Bizarre vignettes make up this comedy about a bellboy at a Florida hotel and his crazy hijinks with the residents (including a surreal Stan Laurel mimic and Lewis playing himself or a version of himself). I could definitely see this having an unconscious influence on people like Roy Andersson. His film Songs from the Second Floor takes Lewis' schtick down a notch to deadpan, but the trappings are there.

The Grey - 7/10

Joe Carnahan is on his A-game here (let us never speak of Smokin' Aces again). Like an elegaic poem from the beyond, it's so bullshit free even to the point where there's really no backstory to anything (other than fleeting moments of Neeson's life, i.e. his Irish motherfucker of a pop). Not the action film the ads are making it out to be.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
The Grey - 8/10

It's a really great, bleak and grim survival story and Carnahan knocked it out of the park. I also love how it sticks to its guns regarding faith and philosophy, instead of having a big, action packed finale. It may end up cutting its box-office in half because of it, but the film is better for it and it shows that Carnahan has a big pair of brass balls. The scene near the end where Neeson is looking up to the dull, grey sky, praying for some kind of help was fantastic.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM

8.5/10
Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM

Moneyball
7/10
Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM

7/10
Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Probably my second favorite film from Peckinpah. It's definitely right up there with The Wild Bunch.

This may be my favorite movie from 2011. I have to watch Drive again, they are definitely neck and neck. There were quite a few that missed but Drive and 50/50 top the list.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 PM
The Street Fighter (Gekitotsu! Satsujin Ken, JAP, 1974)

Sonny Chiba was pretty much one of the first actors to become a star utilizing his skills in martial arts (in Japan), slightly more chunky or well built than Bruce Lee with a rounder face and thick eyebrows.

Released a few years after some of Lee's hit films Street Fighter is very similar in terms of looks, feel and costumes plus the way Chiba composes himself, his stances and poses during fights. The main difference being Chiba is playing a kind of mercenary for hire who isn't really all that nice instead of an outright hero, he's almost an antihero of sorts.

At the time this film was regarded as highly graphic and violent but of course these days its more amusing, there is some in your face bloody moments but the blood is way too fake looking to concern. Violence is fun and almost comicbook-like with the odd idea having been seen more recently in other fight films and videogames (MK), the testicle ripping scene has to be the most memorable.

Classic stuff and more gritty than Bruce Lee but with maybe less refined quality, Chiba comes across as more animalistic in battle, some lovely looking ladies in there too
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Hesher (8/10)
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 AM
first time viewing just finished on bluray

7/10
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 AM
High Fidelity (9/10)
Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
now watching on bluray

since my bluray of Gamera 3 is coming soon lol 7/10
Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 AM
A VERY HAROLD & KUMAR CHRISTMAS - 6/10

This was pretty fun! Of course, NPH fucking ROCKED the HOUSE again. He's all I liked in the first two (which made it worth watching), but this time around I enjoyed most of the movie. Funny, stupid, but entertaining!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 AM
The Grey - *** 1/2

Loved it! Brutal and intense! Ends on a note perfect moment too!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 AM
just finished on bluray

7/10
Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Colombiana - 7/10
A Lonely Place To Die - 7.5/10
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
watching on bluray

8/10
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 AM
District B13
Blade Runner
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Batman: Year One

I didn't yet read the Miller comic this supposedly is based on, but this wasn't good at all. It feels so empty, and cold and uninspired. Maybe that's what the basis and the core of the story was, a byproduct. Or maybe they just failed making it interesting or dense enough. Either way, Batman cartoons these days just can't compare to the Animated Series of the 90's and the subsequent standalone animations that came out.

4/10
Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Miss Bala

A new addition to the growing hyper-real crime genre that would make Michael Mann and Scorsese proud. Much of it owes to the gritty realism that is so well established here, and yes I'm aware I'm repeating myself twice here. It carries a cold dread similar to the type another foreign film, not too long ago, contained - Matteo Garrone's "Gomorrah" and a visual aesthetic inspired quite a bit by Michael Mann. I could easily see both of these films being played as a double-feature as a showcase of modern hyper-realistic crime films which you cannot deny is becoming popular, even if these are early beginnings and such films are very few and far between. This film was loosely based on a real life pageant missus Laura Zúńiga which got herself into a similar type situation back in 2008. It's the type of a film that is for the patient viewer who doesn't mind the somewhat slow(er) pace, but you get a decent rewarding with the gritty realism every once in a while. It's thoughtprovoking and quite a close look at how quick getting involved with crime ruins one's life. Which to me, is in itself both sad and profound to observe. With Gomorrah and now Miss Bala, I would describe these films as "artcrime" as that is what these films are like, beautiful, calm and gritty. This is an overall solid film.

8/10

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-29-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 01:34 PM

8/10

If you find this film boring stick with Michael Bay films instead!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Re-watch:

The Phantom - ***

Cheesy as they come but a lot of fun as well. It's kind of like Superman crossed with Indiana Jones. Hugely enjoyable.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
The Walking Dead S01 - 8/10
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles - 7/10

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - 5/10
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM
War Horse

I thought this was going to be a gut wrenching tear fest with lots of death, blood and mud as brave English men trudge through the trenches of WW1, it actually turns out to be a very heart warming children's film of sorts, more educational than Hollywood if anything.

Yes the film is tear jerking but not as heavy I thought it would be, as Mr Spielberg was at the helm I was kinda thinking along the lines of 'Schindler's List' but boy was I wrong. Its based on a children's novel for one thing (didn't know this) and the film is completely down that route...for the younger viewer. The plot is basically the story of a horse as it progresses through various owners after the outbreak of WW1.
Fate, despair and luck all play a part for the horse and its short lived owners as we follow a brief history lesson and see how mankind can be both cruel and compassionate. This is displayed marvellously in a scene as an English Tommy and German soldier meet up in no mans land befriending each other (won't say why), a nod to the true event of 1914 when both sides met on Christmas day in no mans land...ate, drank, exchanged gifts and played a football game together. A real moment in history which showed how ranks of troops were merely unwilling pawns used in high commanding war games.

Now despite the ever increasing PG's we are fed the film is perfectly made by Sir Spielberg with the kind of direction, art and cinematography you would expect from the mortal God of Hollywood. The film looks perfect, nothing less, everything is beautifully created and looks wonderfully accurate and correct. Allot of this film is like a watercolour painting, the colours, the angles, the lighting and the flow from one scene to another is stunning, Spielberg is the Master.

There really is very little to fault here, the cast is chock full of English quality with performances most American stars can only dream of being capable of, right down the line from the bigger stars to character actors only British cinema goers will know of like Geoff Bell. The only quibble I did have was towards the finale the film does get a little too overly melodramatic to be honest, too many obvious 'lump in the throat' moments stringed together clearly trying to really nail the emotions at the final hurdle.

Must give a huge kudos for the animal training work that was clearly put in, many horses were used but you would never know, amazingly well behaved and very clever animals to perform as required.

As said this isn't a Hollywood/star studded film, its more of an educational film or aid for all children of all ages and it should be shown in schools. There is no blood and very little violence anywhere but the film is spot on, it isn't too heart breaking as I'm sure your wondering, we know Spielberg can make us blubber but for me this film didn't leave me a howling wreck on the floor. Everything is created faithfully but carefully edited and shot cleverly so as not too horrify but more to inform, embrace our countries proud history and hopefully inspire our youngsters to find out more for themselves.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Young and Innocent - One of the earliest examples of a common Hitchcock theme - a man wrongfully accused of a crime and his efforts to set things right. It's a solid film but not as good as many of his later films such as North by Northwest that deal with similar subject matter. 6/10

In Cold Blood - I really liked the documentary like feel to this film. The black and white also makes the film seem eerie. It is a little satisfying to see the final scene with Robert Blake considering what he did later in life and got away with as well. 8/10

Last edited by smacaskill; 01-30-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
The Grey - 7/10
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 7/10

The flip side of the great, underrated Margaret; both feature an abrasive lead character, both are damaged in some ways by a traumatic event, and both are the epitome of what has been referred to as "post-9/11" cinema. Director Daldry might gussy up the proceedings with too much sentiment, but it doesn't gloss over the volcanic emotions of grief, anger, community, etc. that this film displays. A very human effort. Too bad most critics weren't on the ball with this, choosing instead to kiss the derrieres of phony baloney films like The Descendants or Sham(e). Thomas Horn gives an extraordinary performance; might he and Anna Paquin (and hell, Keira Knightley in A Dangerous Method) get their proper desserts years down the line? Scary good chap.

The Ladies' Man - 7/10

A weaker effort by Jerry Lewis; some funny set pieces (Tati-esque as silent comedy in service to set design and synchronization) give way to schmaltz. ELAIC measured it out in dollops but found a balance; here, we have a mugging moron who suddenly gets love from the ladies and we get some "heartfelt" message. Oh, and can anybody confirm, through their careers, whether or not Kathleen Freeman and George Kennedy were ever in the same room?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 7/10

The flip side of the great, underrated Margaret; both feature an abrasive lead character, both are damaged in some ways by a traumatic event, and both are the epitome of what has been referred to as "post-9/11" cinema. Director Daldry might gussy up the proceedings with too much sentiment, but it doesn't gloss over the volcanic emotions of grief, anger, community, etc. that this film displays. A very human effort. Too bad most critics weren't on the ball with this, choosing instead to kiss the derrieres of phony baloney films like The Descendants or Sham(e). Thomas Horn gives an extraordinary performance; might he and Anna Paquin (and hell, Keira Knightley in A Dangerous Method) get their proper desserts years down the line? Scary good chap.
Damn Lazy, I thought you were going to hate it based on your implied dislike of the book. Glad someone else is on board with me.

Spoiler:
Was that shot of Horn falling to the ground after not picking up the phone and hearing the message something else or what? That sequence where he is describing to Mr. Black "The Worst Day" is edited perfectly.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Did you like the film Taken? Are you a sucker for some good South Korean cinema? Then Jeong-beom Lee’s The Man from Nowhere is certainly the movie rental ticket for you. Simple on plot and characterization, Lee’s film is essentially about hitting all the typical “action movie marks”, from the mysterious but lethal protagonist Cha Tae Sik (Bin Won), the young, vulnerable So-mi (Sae-ron Kim) whom the stoic Cha Tae connects to and must rescue, and the evil mob brothers who the viewer will be begging to get their just desserts by the end of the film’s two hour run time.

If there’s anything that rises from the typical action plotline, it’s certainly the action itself. Punctuated in the middle and final act of the film, there is some good old fashioned fisticuffs and knife fights that are relentless in their brutality, as well as being decently choreographed. But, let’s not do away with Bin won and Sae-ron kim’s acting abilities, as the two actors do a very commendable job with their damaged characters, and certainly have one or two scenes that could pull the waterworks for some viewers as well.

But, in the end, there is nothing that really warrants The Man From Nowhere a DVD purchase, just a Netflix (or Redbox if its available) rental. It’s your decent “action film” meal, it filled you up and was pretty tasty, but wasn’t the best thing you ever had.

7/10

A film can live or die on its concept, especially if that concept isn’t strong enough to sustain for the film’s runtime. For Tucker and Dale Versus Evil, a film where two good natured rednecks on vacation (Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk) get mistaken for backwoods murderers by college students, this concept is certainly ripe for potential and while it sort of peters out by the final act, it’s certainly a good crowd pleasure for horror fan and movie gore hounds who like to see this type of genre in horror get turned on its head.

If there’s one thing that should be cautioned before seeing this movie, it’s to skip out on the green and red-band trailer. It lays out everything that the movie offers and doesn’t pack a good comedic punch that going in the film a bit blind would offer. Tudyk and Labine are solid as Tucker and Dale respectively, bringing chemistry to their friendship, as well some solid comedic timing when things get a little dark with the paranoid college kids. The college kids, on the other hand, are pretty much one-note and have no distinctive personalities, apart from jock douchebag Chad (Jesse Moss) and bubbly blonde Allison (Katrina Bowden). However, when these two (somewhat) characicatures start to cross one another, get ready for some good old fashioned gross-out comedy!

Tucker and Dale Versus Evil doesn’t keep a solid hold on its genre-bending concept on backwoods horror films, but the heart is in the right place, and the ride is certainly worth it for viewers who have heard little to nothing about it.

7/10

Director Rian Johnson seems to be a director who wants nothing more than to take a certain genre in filmmaking, and just turn it on its head. There’s an energy in his films, a giddiness as the camera jumps from one scene to the next until it bring some sort of cathartic end to his fully formed characters and plot. It was these ingredients that made me absolutely love his debut feature Brick, a film that blended noir films in the setting of high school, and the love certainly is sustained with Johnson’s sophomore effort, The Brothers Bloom.

From “Noir” to the “Con Man” film genre, Johnson brings a film that feels a bit larger in scope than his first effort, but still attains everything that fans loved him for in the first place. The film follows two brothers (Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo) who are masters at the “con” and go on the final job, scamming an isolated heiress (Rachel Weisz). But, like any “last job” that con men go through, it’s never easy, is it?

Johnson jumps the viewer right into these characters, with the assurance that you will love who these characters are, and what shenanigans they get into . There’s a craft that the Brothers Bloom respect about the “con”, and it pretty much has define who they are in their lives. Ruffalo is Stephen, the more “architect” of the con brothers, assembling what they will do and how it will go about. Brody is Bloom, the “actor” of the con brothers, becoming anyone that Stephen wants him to be. While Brody brings a more reserved, but very effective performance to the film, the energy that Ruffalo brings as Stephen will light a smile to the viewer’s face. He knows what makes this character tic, and is enjoying every step of the way, responsible for many of the film’s hilarious gags. The supporting cast is also excellent all around, with Rinko Kikuchi as the brothers’ mysterious wingman (or woman to be politically correct) Bang-Bang, and Rachel Weisz also delving head first in the mysterious, yet lovely “mark” for the brothers, Penelope.

Add the flair and energy behind the camera lends that Johnson brings with his great ensemble cast, and The Brothers Bloom is another great flick to add to the director’s resume. It has everything that film fans want in a film, from the hypnotic and grand set pieces to characters the viewers can enjoy their time with, The Brothers Bloom is another genre flick that Rian Johnson just lovingly flipped over.

9/10
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 9/10
Damn good fun from start to finish.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM

6/10

I consider Nolan's remake of Insomnia his weakest film.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Sons of Anarchy: Season One

A show that didn’t compel me to watch as avidly as I may have expected from something hailed as the equal of Breaking Bad (it had to have taken me a few weeks, off and on), but there’s no denying the quality here. Of writing and performance especially, Katey Sagal as the she-bear biker chick and protective mother from hell being the standout. The modern motorcycle club and the myth of the Western outlaw it represents is the perfect stewing pot for weighty themes of loyalty, morality and family, and watching Charlie Hunnam’s Jax juggling with those conflicting ideas as the season progresses made the final two episodes snap, crackle and pop in all the right ways and sets up what was probably a gamechanging second season. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. With a string of interesting storylines to follow in the ensemble, my favorites had to be Jax and his high school sweetheart (Maggie Siff) dealing with a determined ATF agent who may or may not have alcohol, tobacco or firearms on his unstable mind, and the struggle of Ryan Hurst’s Opie, a club member just out of prison who’s torn between loyalty to the club he did time for and a young family he left behind. And then there’s Kim Coates and Mark Boone Junior, who show up just to be awesome, and succeed as usual as the hilariously deranged sleazebag and gruffy scruffy MC footsoldier, respectively. Do I wanna see more? Hell yeah. Do I feel driven to do it right this very second? Nooot really.

-> 8/10
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Sons of Anarchy: Season One

A show that didn’t compel me to watch as avidly as I may have expected from something hailed as the equal of Breaking Bad (it had to have taken me a few weeks, off and on), but there’s no denying the quality here. Of writing and performance especially, Katey Sagal as the she-bear biker chick and protective mother from hell being the standout. The modern motorcycle club and the myth of the Western outlaw it represents is the perfect stewing pot for weighty themes of loyalty, morality and family, and watching Charlie Hunnam’s Jax juggling with those conflicting ideas as the season progresses made the final two episodes snap, crackle and pop in all the right ways and sets up what was probably a gamechanging second season. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. With a string of interesting storylines to follow in the ensemble, my favorites had to be Jax and his high school sweetheart (Maggie Siff) dealing with a determined ATF agent who may or may not have alcohol, tobacco or firearms on his unstable mind, and the struggle of Ryan Hurst’s Opie, a club member just out of prison who’s torn between loyalty to the club he did time for and a young family he left behind. And then there’s Kim Coates and Mark Boone Junior, who show up just to be awesome, and succeed as usual as the hilariously deranged sleazebag and gruffy scruffy MC footsoldier, respectively. Do I wanna see more? Hell yeah. Do I feel driven to do it right this very second? Nooot really.

-> 8/10
It only gets better from there.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
It only gets better from there.
I figured. Right now I'm not feeling that magical "pull" that my other favorite shows possess that leads to my more addictive episode-crunching behavior, but I only assume it'll catch sooner than later. The show was more than watchable when I was focused on it.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
One For the Money - ***

While the premise does sound a lot like the premise for The Bounty Hunter, this is different enough that I wasn't constantly being reminded of the other movie. That and it's a much overall better movie. Katharine Heigl hasn't been this good or this sexy or this appealing since Knocked Up. Jason O'mara is pretty awesome in this too. A fun little movie.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Jennifer Yuh Nelson, 2011) C
This film was disappointingly boring. All of the jokes are the same fat jokes from the first film, but those were funny because Po was actually an underdog. He's already the Dragon Warrior, so this is pretty much just a rehash of the first. They make him an incompetent idiot again and start over. It's a film that's a classic example of something made explicitly for children and offering nothing for adults.

Bellflower (Evan Glodell, 2011) A
Wow. What a unique and interesting and dark film. I don't even know how to describe it. It starts off on a fairly normal note and then just devolves into this kind of insanity that makes you question who you're allied with in the film and it holds your attention and never lets go, right up until the last scene, and then you're just left there trying to comprehend what you just saw and trying to figure out what happened and how it happened and why it happened and it just hooks itself into your brain to the point where you're writing sentences like a rambling madman with no punctuation skills.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
I figured. Right now I'm not feeling that magical "pull" that my other favorite shows possess that leads to my more addictive episode-crunching behavior, but I only assume it'll catch sooner than later. The show was more than watchable when I was focused on it.
Season 3 is kind of a downturn but season 4 is mostly much better. Season 2 is probably the best season.
Closed Thread