Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Shot On Video Horror

Any fans? I love shot on video horror movies myself. The quality of them has definitely gone down since there's practically no way NOT to distribute a movie (a lot of the films being sold by Pendulum are a good example...) but... it's definitely one of my favorite sub genres.

Stuff like Blood Cult, 555, Wicked Games, Cannibal Campout, Video Violence, Splatter: Architects of Fear, The Burning Moon, Sledgehammer, Redneck Zombies, Zombie Bloodbath, Nightmare Asylum, Violent Shit 1-3, Black Past, etc. etc.

Any takers?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Ha, cool, was wondering what happened to you, haha.

Really glad to hear you mention Goblin, Todd Sheets is a friend of mine (and...... there might just be a new ZOMBIE BLOODBATH film.... and you might just be talking to the guy who's co-authoring the screenplay... just maybe. ) He HATES that movie and all of his pre ZB stuff, but I love most of it. My favorite of his is definitely Nightmare Asylum, with the first ZB after that.

Tim Ritter's also a really good friend of mine, he did the TRUTH OR DARE trilogy, KILLING SPREE, etc. Autopsy wrote "Critical Madness" about the first TRUTH. THe 4th movie just got made, Tim credited me as an "Associate Producer" on it... you'll love that when it comes out. So far I've got the only official hoime video copy, the 10 other people have DVD-Rs, heh.

555 just got released on DVD, Louis Justin (a buddy of mine) released it. DO NOT pay 300 bucks for an old VHS. I liek the movie but it is NOT worth that much to see that film.

Splatter Farm, yeah, classic, heh, Mark Polonia's a really nice guy, as is Jon McBride (I make myself known to the SOV directors as you've probably figured out, haha)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy View Post
Shatter Dead - Pretentious cack. The worst SOV flick I've encountered.
Suburban Sasquatch, Fungicide, Summer of the Massacre (the '04 UK movie, not Joe Castro's new flick, which also looks crappy but not as sucky as THIS was...), and Frozen Flesh..... those are the worst I've seen. Frozen Flesh and Evil Spirits (from the same anonymous tool) are easily the most putrid fucking abominations ever to come to pass.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Basement is actually Super 8, but I did like it. lighting was horrible in the last couple segments (the last one really suffers due to it, which sucks because that one was by far the most entertaining). I think the zombie segment was pretty boring, but other than that I liked it, and I LOVE that packaging they gave it, with the super duper big box, ha. Plus I'm glad to finally have a DVD copy of CANNIBAL CAMPOUT that doesn't make my palyer have a shitfit (I guess that one had encoding issues, along with WOODCHIPPER MASSACRE)

Yeah, a lot of great people in the SOV horror biz, heh. Tim Ritter's definitely the best, one of my really good friends for sure, plus he passed my name out for screenwriting duties when one of his buddies announced the remake of DAY OF THE REAPER, Tim's first flick. Wrote the script a little under a year ago, and apparently it continues filming sometime this summer, in case you're interested. First real script I ever wrote.

As for the new ZB flick, it might be a bit, TOdd's insanely busy at his day job, which is working at his radio station... but it's coming. And you'll love the ZB flicks!!

TOdd told me that Goblin was shot twice, he was really pissed about how it came out the first time so he shot it again.... and he still hated it, haha. I'm pretty convinced that they tried to make a straight slasher film at first (and with the, uh, LACK of anything resembling a goblin in most of the kill scenes....) then he threw something together about a goblin at the last second, haha. I LOVE that part where you see it's a guy wearing a white T shirt squeezing that one dude's brain out of his ear, haha.

Last edited by Bear; 01-06-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't know why SOV horror films get shat on so much, I actually quite enjoy them. I really like Video Violence, that's a personal favorite.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Snuff Kill (1997) AKA Screen Kill is a good one too. You expect it to be so bad it's good but it's legitimately well made.

Also, no one mention of Blood Lake yet?!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh shit, I totally forgot about BLOOD LAKE!!! (And BLOOD FRENZY....)

That's a pretty fun one, I like it, I wish the VHS was sold for a little fucking cheaper though ( I HATE this new VHS hipster bullshit. It's RUINED everything for true fans of 80's horror which has not yet made it to disc)

One of my buddies actually got to interview Tim Boggs about the movie.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
That's a pretty fun one, I like it, I wish the VHS was sold for a little fucking cheaper though ( I HATE this new VHS hipster bullshit. It's RUINED everything for true fans of 80's horror which has not yet made it to disc)
Don't get me started. I Was raging pretty hard the other day because of something like this. If you're selling a rare tape or DVD for an absurd amout of money you're an asshole. I don't care how hard to find it is.

*Edit* I'm ashamed I forgot to mention one of my favorite bad movies, Crystal Force II: Dark Angel was SOV. It's amazing.

Last edited by HannibalGuy; 01-08-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous, and most of them are total cunts about if you DARE question them. Honestly, it's really making me not WANT to buy these things. I LIKE having authentic copies, but fuck, if I have to buy a bootleg of it because used copies are going so high, fuck it, that's what I'll do.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous, and most of them are total cunts about if you DARE question them. Honestly, it's really making me not WANT to buy these things. I LIKE having authentic copies, but fuck, if I have to buy a bootleg of it because used copies are going so high, fuck it, that's what I'll do.
I've never bothered to ask any seller why they're charging so much, mostly because I know they'll never drop the price. Part of the charm of being into stuff like this is tracking down weird, old stuff and finding it for a good price (how's that for nerdy). I, like you, enjoy having the real thing, complete with artwork and all that fun stuff, but I just give up looking if the only copies online are fucking $119! (and that's for a used copy!)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
My favorite shot on video effort is Video Dead.

I also enjoyed Li Cannibal Massacre that featured a doppelganger of Ron Jeremy ( or sports talk personality Steve Sommers, take your pick ), you have to watch it to understand.

JR Bookwalter's offerings in the 90s were good for what they were although he never reached the heights of Dead next Door.

I even liked the first two ZB films by Sheets. You could tell those films were pure backyard film creations with no budget to speak of, but i admire those genuine friends, family and community efforts, there was something charming about those two films
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Shot on video horror is usually hit or miss. but you got to wade through quite a bit of sludge in order to discover those unkown gems!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Well I'll be dipped in rancid shit, welcome back Carmen! Good to hear from you again.

I've found that the main 'bad' SOV flicks are the newer ones, simply because it's about fucking IMPOSSIBLE for your movie NOT to get out there in some fashion. Grab one of those Pendulum 50 packs (which just so happen to feature some of Todd Sheets' early work, like GOBLIN) and you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, some of the 80's SOVs are absolute fucking PIG SHIT (Both of CHester N. Turner's movies, even though I like them.... just not good filmmaking at all) but some of these new ones.... FUNGICIDE.... SUMMER OF THE MASSACRE (the 2004 movie).... BACK WOODS (BARF!!!!).... holy fucking ass.... the former 'bad' SOVs were NEVER as bad as THESE can be.... though, occasionally, there is indeed a gem, like DR. SHOCK'S TALES OF TERROR, or BLACK ICE, or CARVER for a more popular example.

Also, pretty sure LONG ISLAND CANNIBAL MASSACRE was shot on Super 8 (If that's the movie you meant, DD). Didn't know that Video Dead was SOV. Haven't seen it, had a million chances to buy a used VHS of it when I was 13...

Oh yeah - anyone ever seen VAMPIRE HUNTER? Or something like that. Mid 90's video movie, it was on one of those Pendulum packs. The sound is absolutely, goddamned, motherfucking HIDEOUS. Everybody sounds like a robot having an orgasm or something, hahahahaha!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I feel ashamed to mention this, but I dont even have knowledge of this genre of horror. Time to google...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Well I'll be dipped in rancid shit, welcome back Carmen! Good to hear from you again. Didn't know that Video Dead was SOV. Haven't seen it, had a million chances to buy a used VHS of it when I was 13...
Thanks Bear!
Its been a long time...as for the Video Dead. I have it on DVD. MGM released a bare bones edition. no extras at all.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey Dead Dude! how's it going matey? We haven't had that pint yet! I'd love to get my hands of 'Fungicide' with a title like that it has to be in my collection!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged halo View Post
I'd love to get my hands of 'Fungicide' with a title like that it has to be in my collection!
http://www.amazon.com/Fungicide/dp/B...8136110&sr=1-1

Word of warning - it is absolutely fucking hideous.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged halo View Post
Hey Dead Dude! how's it going matey? We haven't had that pint yet!
Miss the shite out of you too matey! We are gonna have that bloody pint...If I ever get out to the U.K. To be honest the way things are going on this side of the pond a change of location doesnt sound like a bad idea. God save the queen and God HELP america.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Fungicide/dp/B...8136110&sr=1-1

Word of warning - it is absolutely fucking hideous.
Mmmmm, Fucking hideous?? Sounds like my cup of blood to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Right up my street then! lol I'm no snob when it comes to video trash! The title should win an award, feckin class!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Likewise God save the UK! we are in dire straits economically and socially, overrun with EU workers but I'll leave it there! Blu-Rays are cheap over here so it's not all bad and I've found a new ale 'Rebellion' so if you ever come to the UK the first pint's on me! Back on topic, Long Island Cannibal Massacre? it just gets better and better!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Peanut View Post
I feel ashamed to mention this, but I dont even have knowledge of this genre of horror. Time to google...
Ditto.