Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Homeland

Did anyone else catch the pilot?

Very impressive. It's easy for shows to get lost in the shuffle, but I really feel that more people should try this one out. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis were very strong in this opening episode, and I think they both have the chops to do well at carrying this show.

If anyone else misses Rubicon and is looking for a political thriller to follow, give it a shot. Or maybe if you're just looking for a good show to watch. I'm interested to see where it goes.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Been I'm hearing a lot of good things ("Pilot" got an A from theAvClub). I'll give it a shot...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Saw the pilot a week ago. Loved it. This is definitely one of the most promising new shows of the season. Of course I knew it would be since it comes from Howard Gordon who is awesome.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM
First ep was awesome. Grabbed from the first minute and never let me go. Definitely less of a slow-burn than Rubicon heh.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Just got around to watching the premiere today and I absolutely loved it. While it can't fill the chasm Breaking Bad has left, it'll hold me over in that Sunday night time slot.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Thought the pilot was solid, but wasn't over the moon. Dialogue still a little too exposition heavy.

However, I would've watched this a lot sooner if you told me ol' girl from Firefly shows her bewbs.

And she grew her hair back out, thank the Heavens!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I didn't want to ruin the surprise.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Just renewed for a 2nd season. Awwwrighttttt.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone else been keeping up with this? This last episode was my favorite of the season and I loved the ending, it was beautifully devastating.

I'm very excited for the finale.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Indeed. Can't wait. This has been a very consistently suspenseful show. A few hiccups, but really well done.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Damien Lewis is just really creepy-looking.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM
This is Showtimes new best show.....move on Dexter.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
No love for an amazing finale? Leave it to the too often absent 'Pac to swoop in and give the rare bump up the ladder for an overlooked gem, but it's for a good cause, so here we are.

Anyway, I wasn't entirely sure till now, but all due respect to Cranston and Buscemi as the leading favorites, I'm rooting for a Damian Lewis win at the Globes. That whole bunker scene was the apex of intensity, beautifully choreographed to maximize suspense and emotion, and just really well done all around. Couldn't say enough about it. Lewis's performance was fantastic throughout the season, but that sequence cinched it for me, and hell, I wouldn't be disappointed by a Danes victory either, though she'll be going up against my girl Enos from The Killing... and on that one, I'm torn.

It's looking to be a hell of a Season 2...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
After I finished The Shield I'll try catch up on this and Justified.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Thought the pilot was solid, but wasn't over the moon. Dialogue still a little too exposition heavy.

However, I would've watched this a lot sooner if you told me ol' girl from Firefly shows her bewbs.

And she grew her hair back out, thank the Heavens!
She is one of the hottest things on TV right now! Sadly, she clipped her hair too short again about mid-season. She has the sexiest upper lip!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
She is one of the hottest things on TV right now! Sadly, she clipped her hair too short again about mid-season.
Yeah, it's a shame since she's way sexier with hair. The short cut makes her neck look huge haha

But anyway, I'm nearly done with the first season. I love the concept, I find it compelling and Lewis is great, but the dialogue is sometimes awful and Claire Dane's character is the worst, most ineffectual CIA agent ever haha

Looking forward to the finale. In actor I'm trying to court for a role in my short film has a walk-on role.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 02-05-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I have never been a fan of Danes...could never understand what all the hype was about. Damian Lewis has only been on my radar for a short while but I like him.

Morena shines in the show. I'm in the middle of the finale now and hope things go the way of her coming back next season. I really didn't like her in "V", though I liked seeing her on TV.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Claire Dane's character is the worst, most ineffectual CIA agent ever haha
Isn't that kind of the point? She's like that because of her mental illness? That's what is so great about the show (at least the first half, which I'm still at) is that we don't know who is right because Claire Danes is a nutcase but there is still enough evidence in the show that she could be right.

Danes and Lewis are both amazing on the show and both deserve any and all awards that they get. Same with the guy who plays Saul and yes, the hot wife. Actually, the guy who plays the friend is good too. Very sympathetic character given the bizarre and complex circumstances they are all in.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
I have never been a fan of Danes...could never understand what all the hype was about.
Besides this show, Danes was wonderful in My So Called Life.

Haven't seen it, but heard amazing things about her in Temple Gradin.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla (and Butter Pecan)! I've just never got her as a great actress. A good one, but not a great one.

Just finished the season finale and liked it a lot. My one concern is that if the whole first season was based on an original series, will season 2 continue with the same source material?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Season 2 doesn't debut until Sept 30 but I have a announcement for you guys that may peak your interest.

Tomorrow in NYC at 6:30 is the live Homeland Premiere event. It's going to be live streamed on www.AfterTheCut.com

Showtime reached out. Will have more details and links in the morning.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I wonder why this show is so unpopular here? it's fucking great.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I would elaborate but I've got enough people mad at me as it is.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM
You know, I was heavy, HEAVY into this show and I never watched the finale. I STILL haven't watched the damn thing
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 AM
This is an awesome show and I can't wait for next season! One of the few season openers I'm eagerly anticipating!

Homeland Season 2 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_TPjZJCRc
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Ehm , huge fan of Homeland right here! Waiting very impatiently for the second season to start.. And Buck, do tell.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 AM
I agree. I want to know why you don't like the show. I'm a person who likes hearing ALL opinions even those I disagree with.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM
I would've thought you would have figured it out.

In spite of the generally fine cast, this whole show is essentially a glorified version of 24. I know that's high praise for a lot of you guys but it's not when it's coming from me. The same tiresome, horseshit parianoia...the same simplistic view of the region and it's issues (in spite of all of it's labored patina of sophistication)...the same tired wine in newer, brighter bottles.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Very solid premiere. I admire, greatly, the balls of the creative team making one of their lead players a terrorist infiltrating the highest levels of our government. I mean, come on, that's BALLSY.

The pace is always solid, acting superb, and dialogue tight. Whether the series is truly groundbreaking and a classic, I believe the the jury is still out on, but it's a very technically sound and engrossing piece of dramatic television.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I would've thought you would have figured it out.

In spite of the generally fine cast, this whole show is essentially a glorified version of 24. I know that's high praise for a lot of you guys but it's not when it's coming from me. The same tiresome, horseshit parianoia...the same simplistic view of the region and it's issues (in spite of all of it's labored patina of sophistication)...the same tired wine in newer, brighter bottles.
Not every season of 24 had middle eastern terrorists. Sometimes the terrorists were Russian, once they were British, one time they were Serbian and a lot of times the bad guys were Americans. Heck, season 5 the ultimate bad was the president of the united states.

Also isn't Homeland based off a show from Israel?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I know that, but the overall vibe was still the sort of overblown post-9-11 paranoia that was endemic in this country until '05 or so.

This is all ultimately pointless. Usually, when I view a show like this (or a movie for that matter) through a political lens and write about it here you tell me to just relax and stop stressing over entertainment. I'm happy for you that you can do that but I simply can't, so we just keep spinning around in circles.

As for your second question, yes: Hatufim
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 AM
It was a good premiere but dude, Brody's wife has turned into a massive cunt. So ALL Muslims are evil, huh? I know she's just incredibly ignorant and hopefully she'll turn around, but this was probably the first time in the entire series that I didn't like her.

All of the stuff involving Carrie though was fantastic. Her character's inner conflict, very well written and played by Claire Danes.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Buck, not disagreeing with you completely, and yes, it's a tricky/touchy subject. Appreciate your views though.

Haven't season the season opener yet, on my to watch list for this week. I'll be bak.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Good premiere, and I liked how Brody's wife
Spoiler:
got all worked up about realizing Brody was a Muslim. With all the tense shit that she heard from Carrie in the finale, she's not going to take a secret like that lightly. it also helped to drive their relationship forward, rather than handling it about for the next three or four episodes.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Color me silly and i know it's Obama's favorite serie but i'm not too fond of season 1

The main reason is the pacing ... the serie alternate between 24 and The Wire. Pure drama or action packed ? I have to admit the acting is great but i could down some spider solitaire's games on my pc while watching it.

but yeah boobs .... <3 Jessica

6.5/10
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 AM
I would love to thank whoever decided to cast the lovely and talented
Zuleikha Robinson this season.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm gonna preface this by saying I love the show, but at the same time I agree with Buck's general premise - there IS something about the series that feels antiquated somehow, a combination of Cold War paranoia and reactive "HysTerroria". It seems specifically built for another time, an era[s] that might not be that long ago, sure, but seems distantly removed from our current reality of complex relations in the Arab world where omnipotent terrorist bogeymen [or Commies(!!!)] are a dying (and predominantly dead) breed. That nationalistic neurosis at the core of the show is somewhat diluted because of it. I mean, it makes for great fiction - hence my love of the show - but I can see why it reeks of refried War on Terror themes to some.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Its quite nice show to watch. And i really enjoying watching this show. Its a really nice crime show to watch. Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison is mine favorite from the show.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
got damn
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
got damn

Indeed...God damn