Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Hands down the best Halo entry since the original Halo: Combat Evolved. Halo: Reach is easily the most emotional and epic Halo in the franchise, and it's fairly obvious Bungie put their heart into making this final installment for the company, but I'm also kind of sad this will be the last entry from Bungie (that we know of).

9.5/10
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
dead rising 2 7.5

fun. sullivan was a tough final boss

more sadistic bosses in the first game though
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Dragon Age: Origins - Witch Hunt
8/10
God, I am such a Morrigan fanboy. I teared up when she told me she was going to leave again and then squealed with glee when I was given the option to go with her. A great, fun DLC didn't hurt either, though I was scratching my head a bit at BioWare's decision to just bang this out using previous environments from Origins and Awakening. Dragon Age II just taking up too much time and money? Oh, well, I got to get the ending I finally wanted for my character and Morrigan, so I'm happy either way.
Now to get cracking on all the other DLC I've missed since taking a break from Dragon Age after Awakening.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Eufloria - 10/10
Fantastic indie game, even better with the recent update.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Assassin's Creed
7/10
God, was it repetitive, but still fun.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 AM
vanquish 9 a riot. better than gears 2 for sure
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Just beat Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. This was a really really damn good game. Awesome gameplay and a seriously epic storyline.

10/10 Recommend it to anyone.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
YAKUZA 4

mix of brawler, jrpg, sandbox with a compelling story. epic on many levels

Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Shadows of The Damned

an enjoyable gothic romp. particularly appreciated the excellent music, the narrated stories and the 2d levels. great fun all round

Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Alice: Madness Returns - 6/10
Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis): 8/10

Great game that's a lot of fun, but I wish that it could have been a little longer. I won as Skate, by the way.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
LA Noire 6.5/10
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Yakuza 4- 8/10

Good mix of street fighting and sandbox. Countless side features. It's a great sandbox game in that you won't run out of anything to do after several hours worth of playing.

There are only two real problems with the game. One is that it's difficult to get around since the map has no waypoint feature. Also, the storyline, though full of twists and turns and sometimes compelling, takes up way too much time. It's almost like a movie sometimes. It would be great if the story was consistently interesting, but it isn't. It doesn't really make sense, even if you've played the other games.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Final Fantasy II (The actual II, from the Final Fantasy collection on Playstation) - 7/10
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Yakuza 4- 8/10

Good mix of street fighting and sandbox. Countless side features. It's a great sandbox game in that you won't run out of anything to do after several hours worth of playing.

There are only two real problems with the game. One is that it's difficult to get around since the map has no waypoint feature. Also, the storyline, though full of twists and turns and sometimes compelling, takes up way too much time. It's almost like a movie sometimes. It would be great if the story was consistently interesting, but it isn't. It doesn't really make sense, even if you've played the other games.
did you play the panty thief mission? never laughed so hard in a game
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM
With a lazy summmer here, no work and school coming soon, I've been indulging in tons of games.

Wipeout HD + Fury

Great game but holy hell is it hard once you get to the Rapier speed. I only wish you had more cars and tracks. Seems small with only 8 tracks but I can't complain much since I got it free with the Welcome Back program.

8/10

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Speaking of hard games, this is even worse (in a difficulty sense). Fantastic platformer that has some supremely creative stages and settings. LOVE IT. My only beef is not being able to switch between Donkey and Diddy. Donkey was always the stronger but heavier Kong while Diddy was weaker but had better jumping and air time. Now you're forced to stick with Donkey only and can just use Diddy's jet pack for a few secs of hovering time.

9.5/10

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

It's the same classic title but with better graphics, extras and 3D. I love it. The 3D is impressive and the gyro sensor technology makes aiming with the bow and hookshot much more intuitive than I had previously imagine. The package also helps that it comes with the Master Quest (a mirrored and harder version of the game) and a Boss Rush mode with increasing difficulties.

9/10

Donkey Kong 1994

I never played this for the Game Boy but I'm so glad Nintendo released it early for the Virtual Console. Some think it's purely a remake of the arcade game but it only starts off that way and you end having to chase DK through 9 worlds (101 levels!!) through terrific and creative levels here as well. For $4, it's worth every penny.

My only beef here is that Nintendo did not release it with the Super Game Boy enhancements, which properly colorized the game and gave it decor on the sides to make it look like a DK Arcade cabinet. Only black bars on the sides and a choice of monochromatic black and white or spinach green.

8.5/10

Final Fantasy VI (U.S. III)

Sqeenix just released the U.S. Final Fantasy III (which is actually FF VI in proper chronology) on the Wii Virtual Console and I figured, why not? It's regarded as a classic but I've never touched it. Pretty good so far but only 3 hours in.

Last edited by drc5145; 08-05-2011 at 01:39 AM..
Old 08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
did you play the panty thief mission? never laughed so hard in a game
I don't remember that one. There were a lot of missions involving pervs, though. The substories were pretty fun, with the exception of the hostess missions. Those were awful.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I don't remember that one. There were a lot of missions involving pervs, though. The substories were pretty fun, with the exception of the hostess missions. Those were awful.
oh, i liked treating my womans, make her look and act attractive for other men. something i would never do in the real!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
oh, i liked treating my womans, make her look and act attractive for other men. something i would never do in the real!
I wasn't talking about those missions. I was actually disturbed by how much I enjoyed those. I'm talking about the ones where you sell info on hostesses to the magazine writers. Those are painfully boring and they have them for each character.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
hmm i didn't know about those, as you said so much to do in the game

here is the panty thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9Yd9Y8kbo
Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes! Now I remember. I was thinking of the substories, not the revelations. That was great.

Did you find any of it incredibly difficult? Most of it was fairly simple, except for the prison guard. That guy was an enormous pain in the ass.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM
nah, i found it pretty easy. on reflection i wish i had played on hard, but i'm thinking the step up would have been too dramatic on the rent. i only really started using weapons towards the end. i'm going to go rent Yakuza 3 and play it properly this time
Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Halo Reach: 8/10

While this was a worthy entry in the Halo franchise, I can't recall any scenes that really "wowed" me in the way that the original Halo did, or Halo 2. The levels seemed more remniscient than original, but they were still fun enough to play through. The graphics were incredible, especially for the sky. It was great to be able to look in the sky and not only see warring banshees and pelicans, but to be able to shoot up and assist in the battles overhead. It truly felt like you're apart of the war. Overall, I think that this was Bungie's intention with their final installment in the Halo franchise, to bring the world to life in a way that was never before possible for them. I think that in that goal, they succeeded.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 AM
I just finished Dead Nation last night on Grim and now I'm playing through again on the Morbid level. (Damn trophies).

I wasn't too fond of it when I started playing but after awhile it seemed to grow on me and was kinda fun.

7/10
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
RE5 finally! Many thanks goes to Tagia Romero for all of her guidance and help online.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Mortal Kombat 2011

I finally snagged this game off of Amazon.com and it's excellent. I've been playing it for a few hours now and it's probably the best MK game to date.

Mind you, I loved the old 2D Fighters (MK 3 is one of my favorites fighters) and I enjoyed Deadly Alliance, but I never really felt compelled to check out the rest of the 3D titles. This version has the best amount of depth and complexity in it's fighting system. Yet it's also cheesy fun, if the story mode is any indicator. It plays out like a cheesy Kung-Fu B-movie. And between all the content, it'll keep me busy for a long time.

8.5/10 so far.

FYI I also ordered Portal 2 via Amazon.com too and it's coming tomorrow.

Last edited by drc5145; 08-13-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Beat it within 2 hours. Fun and enjoyable, but I really wish I didn't spend $40 on it since there isn't much re playability other than getting a faster time. Something I'd pick up if I found it for under $15.

7/10
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM
The Binding Of Isaac - 10/10
Got the last couple achievements today, such an awesome game.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Portal 2 - 10/10
Aside from the shitty voice work from Merchant this is a work of genius.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3) 9.5/10

Really hard to fault this game. I'm having an immensely hard time thinking of anything negative about it. If you enjoy stealth, shooters, and games that force you to make choices that affect the story, then you will love this game.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
Assassin's Creed
7/10
God, was it repetitive, but still fun.
Stick with it and play ACII. It gets SO much better.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Stick with it and play ACII. It gets SO much better.
I actually forgot to post, but I did play ACII after I finished AC, loved the hell out of it, played some other stuff for a while, and finally finished ACII. Much, much better. Still haven't played Brotherhood or Revelations, though.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Getting ready for ME3! Just beat the first one, starting the second one today. This was my 4th time beating this game, and it will be my 3rd time beating ME2 once I do that. And I am renegade, but a renegade who is sweet and tender with the ladies.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Started and finished Journey for PS3 in one sitting today. What a beautiful game! There were moments when I found myself grinning from ear to ear in wonder like a little kid. Towards the end of the game, I realised I had sat up and was sitting on the edge of my seat without even realising it.

The way the developers were able to convey so much feeling, story and emotion without any words ever being written or spoken is a truly remarkable achievement. I also loved the addition of the anonymous players that are encountered at various points throughout the game. Extremely nice touch starting out as having the choice of playing alongside them or not and then by the end of the game, both theirs and your very lives depend on one another. Brilliant!

I can see how this game won Gamespot's GOTY.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Finished Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm today on hard difficulty. Loved it. Can't wait til Legacy of the Void is released
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Looks like I'm the only one still posting in this thread. Ah well.

Finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the DLC.