Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 AM

Reign of Fire(2002)-7/10
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 AM

7/10

Free Men 7/10
Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Shoot the Piano Player
7/10
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 AM
The Muppets - 7/10
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
The Hunter (AUS 2011)

Filmed entirely in Tasmania and some of the scenery shot is quite tremendous, it really is the sparkle in this film, without it this it would be really quite average.

On the whole the film isn't exactly stunning, its an oddity really, Dafoe is sent into the outback of Tasmania to find the thought to be extinct Thylacine or Tasmanina Tiger after a few apparent sightings. He stays with a woman and her kids and helps get her life back on track and off medication due to her husband vanishing in the outback.
At the same time he of course gets very friendly with the woman and her kids, gets slightly tangled in local disputes between tree loggers and environmental groups against the loggers (of which the woman he stays with is part of) whilst also trying to solve the disappearance of her husband plus track a live Thylacine.

The problem with the film is it doesn't feel like its about anything in particular and it doesn't feel like there is any real conclusion at the end. Without trying to give the game away Dafoe does achieve his goals but doesn't do anything about it, he discovers what happens to the woman's husband but seems to do nothing, we're not quite sure exactly why the company hes working for wants him to find a Thylacine and at the end he does something which doesn't seem right, you don't know wether your on his side with his decision.

Dafoe is suppose to be a hunter, he tracks and survives in the wild, this we know, but seeing him roam the outback setting nasty steel traps and shooting mammals doesn't really sit right with me, he's suppose to be the 'hero' of the film looking after a lone woman and her kids but he doesn't really do anything other than kill animals and set traps, are we suppose to root for Dafoe's character?

The acting is superb with Dafoe and good old Sam Neill on form, the kids play their parts very well too but the plot is strange and jumbled and for lovers of wildlife it isn't quite what you expect. Well filmed, well crafted with lovely location work and a pretty real looking Tasmania Tiger in the finale (you know he finds it before you even begin to watch) but it seems down beat overall.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Cthulhu - 6/10
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM

8/10
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM
True Grit (8/10)
Pearl Jam Twenty (10/10)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM

The Messenger

Some damn fine acting in this.

8/10
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Chronicle

Very dull slow take off for this comicbook type film as we see a bunch of teens just messing around and talking crap whilst not much else is going on. The first half of the film is shown through 'Andrews' camera as he goes around filming everything and its damn annoying, of course its building characters but to be frank it doesn't seem that way as its really uninteresting.

The way in which the three young males find the 'unknown object' in a deep dark hole after simply climbing down into it is a bit silly methinks, as if you would do that.* The object looks a bit like the spiky crystal like pod in which Superman travels to earth in from the 78 film, anyway they all get infected or transformed or sick from the object and thusly gain telekinetic super powers...for some reason.

The film is really quite boring until 'Andrew' starts to get a little warped with his ways and begins using his powers for 'evil' or bad as it were. From that point on it perks up allot with much more tension and some reasonably good special effects consisting of average cgi and average bluescreen work but some nice telekinetic movement work on people in places.

There is a slight feeling of 'X-Men' as the sparks fly along with cars and chunks of building, almost a more realistic take with proper teen angst issues tossed in. The stress caused by family issues, school life and their increasing powers is well played out by the actor trio. The point where 'Andrew' finally decides he is now pretty much a more evolved human being and capable of anything he wants, a newly evolved 'apex predator', does add some great moments of edge of your seat thrills as you simply don't know what he will do next, he no longer cares for anyone including his super powered friends.

Filmed almost entirely with handheld cams, or CCTV in some sequences, does add realism to the action but it also annoying too, like other films in this style it can be hard to follow action as the camera jerks all over the show.

So the first half of the film is dull and slightly rushed maybe but it gets much better once 'Andrew' loses it, its almost like a male version of 'Carrie' really, Dane DeHaan does portray the breakdown and instability of his character very well. Overall some nice sequences like the boys trying their new powers as they develop them, strong moments of family feuding and a good finale.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Martin Scorsese, 1974) B+
Another damn good overlooked Scorsese film. Ellen Burstyn is fantastic as Alice and you really come to like her and feel for her and understand and appreciate her struggles. The only big problem for me is how annoying her kid is. It's kinda the point of the film, in which he is a huge weight on Alice with his bratty and slightly Aspberger syndrome personality, but he always made me cringe. He was too annoying, which I guess means it was pulled off well, but it still bugged the hell outta me.

Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich, 2010) B+
I gave this an A- the first time I watched it but I don't like it as much anymore. Frankly, I thought this film tried a little too hard to get an emotion out of you. What people said they cried about (such as Andy's last scene or the scene where all the toys held hands when they thought they would die) I found to be cheesy and a bit pathetic.

Chronicle (Josh Trank, 2012) C+
I don't get what's so great about it. The idea behind the film is cool, but the execution isn't good at all. The "found footage" style is really just a gimmick and it's used so inconsistently. There are even jump cuts in the film, which doesn't make sense because it would mean that the character filming would have to have edited it in a program. Half the time it doesn't even feel like proper shaky cam, just someone using a really expensive normal camera and wiggling it a little. The actual action sequences are small in number, and they're shot from so far away, I guess to add realism. I'm paying to see an action movie because I DON'T wanna watch an epic telekinetic fight from a mile away on a flip phone. I wanna see it up close. The film abandons the style at the worst possible times. And the writing also leaves a lot to be desired. Overall it's not bad writing, but the setup for the villain is so cliché, in fact, it's a bunch of clichés piled into one poorly-written character. I knew this wouldn't be a good film, and I was right.

The Secret World of Arrietty (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2010/12) A
I didn't know what to expect from this. On one hand, Ghibli films are usually excellent, but Ponyo wasn't too good and I knew nothing about this film going in. Thankfully, it's absolute cinematic magic. It has all the staples of a great Hayao Miyazaki film (he wrote it). It has a strong female lead that never becomes annoying (which Ponyo lacked), beautiful art, wonderful music, and a nice whimsical and powerful story. When it ended, I just sat there, watching all of the beautiful art in the credits, and when those ended I just sat there still, absorbing what I just saw. I would go so far as to say that this is the best Studio Ghibli film since Princess Mononoke.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
The Vow- was forced to see this with my girlfriend today and actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams did decently enough in their respective roles and did the best with what they were given. I thought the script was weak at points however, it had a pretty good ending in my opinion. I will give it a 6/10.

Book of Eli- Watched this when I got back from the Vow. I haven't seen it since it first came out on DVD and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Denzel Washington is solid in the lead, and I also thought Gary Oldman's turn as the villain was pretty good as well. The action was pretty solid as well as the message of the film. 8/10
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

I like it. It's far from great but it is a cool movie.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 AM

The Beastmaster(1982)-7/10
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 AM
TYRANNOSUAR - 7/10
I'd like to rate this higher, but I just can't. Great performances from the two principals, but in the long run there isn't as much "substance" as I'd like from a movie like this. At the same time, it's great for debate about what is "evil", how many depths and kinds of evil are there, and how can one person change the life of another - for better or for worse?

I AM LEGEND - 6/10

It was all that was available while at work. It doesn't hold up well after several viewings (third time for me), and the best parts are up until other people arrive.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Sister Street Fighter (JAP 1974)

Obvious spin off from the much much better martial arts film 'The Street Fighter' but has nothing to do with the former film, this is a stand alone story.

I realise this may be seen as a cult these days but I really didn't think much of it, the whole thing was so damn hokey and daft looking, almost like an Oriental version of the 60's Batman TV show!
All the fighting is clearly staged with fists and kicks nowhere near their intended targets haha the acting is worse than usual as is the dialog but the really sore point is the fact Sonny Chiba is hardly in it.

Apart from the fight finale Chiba doesn't really figure in the film despite the title, add to that the fact the film has nothing really to do with the original and the whole cheesy look of everyone and everything, the bad guys look like they have just stepped of the stage of a children's pantomime show.

The original Street Fighter was hard ass and vicious, this attempts the same but fails, a bit of blood n gore near the end but its little too late.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM

It was alright.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 02-20-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Hobo With A Shotgun
5/10
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Shame (9/10)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
This Means War - ** 1/2

Some very funny moments, great chemistry between the 3 leads mixed with some terrible action scenes.

Red Tails - **

A bad movie but still kind of enjoyable. Some really shitty dialog though and one of the absolute worst movie scores I have ever heard. Throughout the entire movie I was thinking that the guy (or gal) who composed the music for this movie should be shot! The cast is likeable enough.

Safe House - ***

Predictable but enjoyable.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 02-20-2012 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Westworld - 7/10

As expected, a movie about the advancement of technology 40 years prior does indeed feel dated. Thinking about it from the time period, this is a well done, slow-burn thriller with some interesting ideas that reminded me Crichton's own Jurassic Park, as a primitive precursor.

Futureworld - 5/10

Semi-intriguing follow-up to Westworld leaves much to be desired. The story does not develop in an interesting way and becomes another Body Snatchers story. The finale was also a bit abrupt.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - 3/10

What a sorry excuse for a bubble gum adventure. Even after I turned my brain off, I still felt cheated. The entire setup is ludicrous, not to mention the Korean character played by Joel Grey, which is an unexcusable use of stereotypes. This movie should stay buried.

Hannibal - 6/10

It has been 11 years since its release, absolutely ridiculous. I finally put my snobbish nose down and watched it, after convincing myself those years ago that I wouldn't tarnish the memory of "Silence." It is not all bad, just doesn't have much of a payoff, most likely due to the source material. Hopkins is good but not great, while Moore just doesn't have much to do here. The film meanders for too long and while I can't say I was bored, my attention did not really perk up until the finale. Which did in fact disturb me, but it was not enough to bring this flick out of mediocrity.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 AM

Resident Evil(2002)-7/10
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
7 Days - 8/10 (1st viewing)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Moneyball (8/10)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Torpedo Run with Glenn Ford and Ernest Borgnine - This is a WWII era story of a sub commander trying to destroy a Japanese carrier. The effects are pretty good and the chemistry between the two leads made for a good film even if the story is pretty simple. 7/10

Ruby Gentry with Jennifer Jones, Charlton Heston, and Karl Malden - Jones looked amazing and gave a fine performance as a backwoods girl who brings trouble to two well off men in her life. I especially liked the scene with Jones and Malden on the boat. 8/10

The Skin Game - An early Hitchcock film about two rival families and the feud that threatens to destroy them. Edmund Gwenn was pretty good but the rest of the actors seemed a bit amateurish. Still a fun film at times especially the auction scene. 6/10

Number Seventeen - Another early Hitchcock film this one about a jewel robbery and the people involved. It was decent but nothing special. 5/10

The Cry of the Owl - The male lead was pretty bad and Stiles was merely decent. I did like the ending though. It added a sense of mystery as to his final fate. 6/10
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
The Black Cat

Karloff and Lugosi play a macabre game of Satanic chess in a Poe-based gothic thriller that became the first of the eight movies they ended up making together. And this would’ve been fantastic had it focused entirely on those two badasses. But unfortunately the protagonists of the piece are a young couple honeymooning through Budapest that chance their way into the midst of Lugosi’s methodical quest for revenge on a former WWI comrade (Karloff), the man responsible for Lugosi’s imprisonment as a POW and stealing his grieving wife in the bargain. That’s rough. And ripe for an epic clash of the two genre kings, but those pesky newlyweds just tend to get in the way with their naïve blundering and hapless exclamations, when all you really want to see is Lugosi and Karloff play [black] cat and mouse in Karloff’s creepy hilltop manse. But there’s enough of that, coupled with a rather bold finale that makes it worth a watch.

-> 6/10
Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 AM

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance(2012)-6/10
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Dead Alive(1992)-7/10
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 AM

4/10
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post

There are films that leave a significant and positive mark on a viewer, films that pretty astounding in how awful the story and characters are brought to the screen, and then there is a film that simply feels pleasant. Crazy, Stupid, Love is a “pleasant” film, with actors that bring charisma to their roles in a plot where any other actors or actresses were at the helm; the experience could be significantly different. It’s a pleasant romantic comedy through and through, with unique quirks that attempt to rise above the slightly stale material.

To say that these actors carry the film is a bit of an understatement, more so that they throw it on their shoulders and keep the viewer from looking at their watch to see when the credits will be rolling. The film’s plot itself is a bit of jarring one, with a variety of characters either looking for or falling out of love. While some characters’ plotlines are engaging and hilarious, one such plot line feel a bit awkward and uncomfortable in how it all plays out. Thankfully, the plot lines involving Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling’s characters take up the brunt of the film, and the film never misses a comedic beat when these two actors get together.

Steve Carell certainly has a thing with playing funny, morose characters, and his character of Cal Weaver is no exception. Confused and embittered over his wife Emily’ (played by Julianne Moore) sudden infidelity and need for a divorce, Carell brings charm and laughs as the husband who needs to get his love life into control, so much so that he looks to young lothario Jacob Palmer (played by Ryan Gosling) for help. Gosling dips his heel into comedic waters, and certainly comes out looking nice and tidy. He brings a suave arrogance to the Carell’s uptight Cal, and their exchanges are certainly a highlight in the film.

The rest of the cast does a fine job as well, with Julianne Moore bringing as much pathos as she can get as the wife of Cal, who feels her marriage is tuck in a rut. Emma Stone also brings her charm and likability as a young law student with whom Gosling’s character becomes romantically involved with, with one sweet scene involving the two that elevates the unfortunate lack of screen time together. Unfortunately, that run time involves Cal’s son Robbie (Jonah Bobo) and his pining over the babysitter (Analeigh Tipton), which is the “uncomfortable” moments that was stated in the review earlier, as well as bringing cheap ways to ignite unnecessary conflict at the final act of the film.

But, apart from that misstep, Crazy, Stupid, Love is certainly worth a rental for those looking for a nice, easy, romantic comedy to gulp down. The ensemble cast is great and the plot is light and airy. It hits a few missteps by the end of the film, but the ride is pleasant that the few bumps don’t overturn the viewing experience.

7/10
I love this movie,just bought it recently.would have to say its one of my top five faves of the year.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Somewhere - A fine performance from Stephen Dorff and excellent directing by Sofia Coppola are the highlights of this film. I like meditative films like this that explore people who are unsatisfied with their lives. And for once there is a child actress who isn't really annoying. 8/10

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - Well that was a really fucking depressing story. It was a really well made film and I enjoyed the relationship between the two boys but that ending really hits hard. 8/10
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Bridesmaids - 6/10

Feast - 6/10

The hangover 7/10
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Pre-release
Gone (2012)
John Carter

Post-release
Antichrist (2009) A-
The Woman in Black (2012) B-
Old 02-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Drive (9/10)
Black Swan (10/10)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Bullhead

Had this did not show up as a nomination for a Best Foreign Film category at this year's Oscars, then I probably wouldn't have seen it for a long time. If there's one Foreign Film I'm happy to see nominated by the Academy this year, it's this one. Without a doubt a solid film. Coincidentally, I have just read Bumbray's review of it and he nails it pretty well. It's a film that with trailer magic can easily be marketed as a seedy crime film in a fill-in-the-blank underworld, yet it's far from it - which surprised me. It's an emotional character study of a man who's going through unimaginable emotional turmoil due to an unimaginable childhood trauma (no, not pedophelia) that I wouldn't wish on my enemies. Played so well by Matthias Schoenaerts, who I'd be very disappointed to see get unnoticed after this film, and if it wins Best Foreign Film this year, no doubt we'll see more of him. I truly felt for this character. The film's more quieter moments and director Michaël R. Roskam's use of close up shots on Jacky only amplified the feeling of the turmoil he's going through. No question, it's a worthy contender at winning an Oscar this upcoming Sunday and a film I'll come back to for sure.

9/10
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Testament (1983) - 9/10

This forgotten gem is strikingly powerful. Follows a suburban family after nuclear fallout and tells its story in a quiet understated manner, never resorting to shameless heart-tugging either. Fine performances all around in one of the finest films of the 80's.

Electra Glide in Blue (1973) - 8/10

This is a law enforcement answer to Easy Rider. It questions how closely should the law be followed and what happens when you put trust in the wrong people? Gorgeous cinematography by the great Conrad Hall, with one of the most haunting final images put to celluloid.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Killer Elite

I have a blind spot I should mention – seeing Clive Owen and Jason Statham go head to head in an action movie was one of those things on my geek movie bucket list. And now here it is! Disappointing, but here it is nonetheless. So okay, that out of the way, what do we get? A pretty standard romp that takes Statham through the paces of a role that looks, talks and kicks the same ass as The Mechanic, with Owen bringing in a credible but straightforward intense performance as the quasi-villainous “Feather Man” fixer Spike. He dogs Statham’s team of assassins at every turn when they set their sights on a group of Spike’s former comrades at the behest of an exiled Sheikh, and it should be amazing, but the characters are mostly one-note and the story too pat to excel beyond its promise of an entertaining – if forgettable – action movie. Notice how I haven’t mentioned Robert De Niro yet. That’s because he’s a glorified cameo at best, though with what little he has, he makes an impression as Statham’s mentor. All presence, very little substance.

-> 6/10
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 AM

This Means War(2012)-7/10
Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 AM

Candyman(1992)-7/10
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
EDEN LAKE

Disturbing but engrossing story of a couple portrayed by Kelly Reilly and
Michael Fassbender headed to a remote area for a romantic weekend,but come across a pack of sadistic teens and end up in a brutal,bloody ,nightmare.Not for the faint of heart.
Give me a crowded city and a big hotel anytime!!
Scale of 1-10 a 9
Closed Thread