Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
G.I. Joe: Retaliation

I enjoyed The Rise of Cobra. I mean it wasn't high art or anything, but it did what it said on the tin and I thought it was an enjoyable ride.

I must say that it appears there are going to be some spectacular set-pieces in Retaliation (particularly the sword fight on the cliff face) and I'm glad Snakes Eyes is back. Ray Park rocks :-)

I'm guessing the Joseph Gorden-Levitt and Christopher Ecclestone aren't returning? Obviously Levitt used this as a springboard to bigger/better things. Also Changing Tatum seems to go missing from the trailer after about 5 seconds, so I wonder if his role is more of a cameo and this movie is gonna belong to The Rock. Hmmmmm....
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I also enjoyed the first movie; nothing special, but an enjoyable popcorn movie.

I enjoyed the trailer, though I would hope/think that Channing Tatum is still the lead, but it looks like they're promoting this thing with The Rock as the lead and a kickass cameo by Bruce Willis.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Retaliation looks like everything most people were hoping for from the first one. I'm hoping it lives up to the expectations laid out in the trailer.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Here is the trailer for anybody who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2YMu52MfqA&feature=fvst

I wasn't able to stay awake throughout the first movie, but this one looks pretty entertaining. Rumor is going around that

Spoiler:
Channing Tatum's character dies early in the film.

I sort of stopped taking GI Joe seriously the second Channing Tatum opened his mouth, simply terrible casting for Duke. Also JGL's character from the first movie should have been called Mindbender, not Cobra Commander. It looks like Jon Chu is treating the source material with a lot more respect than Stephen Sommers did. BTW I can't stand Stephen Sommers as a director, his films are so very mediocre.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
BTW I can't stand Stephen Sommers as a director, his films are so very mediocre.
I liked the first Gi Joe movie as well, but I think the problem with Stephen Sommers directing was he was not a fan of the source material like John Chou is. This movie is not only going to be a big blockbuster summer movie, but it will also be a celebration of the show. Finally, we are going to see the cobra symbol on the uniforms, and banners. Also they even have vehicles and aircraft that were in the cartoon. The best part is going to see Cobra Commander the way he should be.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I was a huge G.I.JOE fan as a kid and will always be a fan. The first movie was a fun popcorn kind of ride I agree, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. Sommers & Co. simply screwed up the backstories too much: Duke and Baroness dating, Baroness and Cobra Commander being brother and sister specifically. Plus the casting SUCKED!!! Aside from the perfect choice of Ray Park as Snake-Eyes, the only other casting I liked was Storm Shadow. Duke is my favorite JOE, and it pains me to see him tarnished by Channing Tatum.
I'll be there opening weekend for sure. I'm glad Chou is taking the movie more serious even though I'm not high on the Rock as Roadblock. Michael Clarke Duncan would have been PERFECT. And I hate Flint and Lady Jaye so I'm not excited that they will be in the movie. Looks like a fun ride that will actually acknowledge what made G.I.JOE so special in the first place.

Last edited by Joe Scorpio; 05-30-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
BTW I can't stand Stephen Sommers as a director, his films are so very mediocre.
C'mon...Deep Rising was fun. No?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
C'mon...Deep Rising was fun. No?
I actually haven't seen that one. I admit that I enjoyed the first Mummy film, that was very entertaining. But every film he's done since that has been extremely mediocre.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
I actually haven't seen that one. I admit that I enjoyed the first Mummy film, that was very entertaining. But every film he's done since that has been extremely mediocre.
Yeah...I can agree with you on that. I too enjoyed The Mummy. But the sequel and especially Van Helsing pretty much reeked. You should check out Deep Rising though. Treat Williams is brilliant and Famke Janssen is sexy as hell.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Trailer 2 is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNUBV9trDoA

I have a feeling this is about to lose some of the goodwill generated by the first trailer. This new trailer makes it look a lot like the first movie: silly and over the top. But, I liked the first movie, so that's okay.

And this poster is freaking awesome.

But I still find it mind boggling how little of the original cast is back. How can there be a GI Joe movie without Scarlet, Destro, Baroness, and, apparently, Duke?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM
This movie had me at the idea of teaming Dwayne Johnson with Bruce Willis!

Oh, and that scene of the ninjas fighting down the mountain is pretty badass too!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
The first one was terrible and this doesn't look much better.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
PUSHED BACK 9 FUCKIN MONTHS!!?? What in the hell? Has anybody else ever seen anything like this??

I remember Shutter Island being delayed, and more recently World War Z being pushed back....but this is a summer blockbuster almost a month from the release?

Wow.

Oh....and this was definitely a rental for me...hated the first one...but thought the first trailer for this one looked like an improvement.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 PM
One of the most bone headed decisions I have ever seen. The movie was less than 1month away and the trailers had built up immense buzz, it actually looked BAD ASS! I was really looking forward to it.

Now they are pushing it to March 2013, just so they can convert it to 3D??? The will put the death knell on it... I wont see it in 3D, i barely see any movies in 3D, and G.I isn't one of them.

What the fuck is Paramount thinking?

article thanks to cinemablend:

Quote:
After Paramount decided to bring on Jon Chu to direct G.I. Joe: Retaliation, it was a bit strange that they announced the movie would be in 2D. After all, Chu is best known for having directed both Step Up 3D and Never Say Never, the 3D Justin Bieber concert documentary. Still, we shrugged it off because we here at Cinema Blend always prefer 2D films. But now something very strange is happening.

Deadline is reporting that G.I. Joe: Retaliation has been pushed from June 29th of this year all the way back to March 29, 2013 - a nine-month schedule shift. During that time, the sequel will be post-converted to 3D, a studio exec quoted saying. "We’re going to do a conscientious 3D job because we’ve seen how it can better box office internationally. Jim Cameron did all of Titanic‘s 3D in post – and look how well that movie turned out." In the June 29th spot, the action film had smaller competition in People Like Us, Magic Mike and Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection, but its opening was only five days before the release of The Amazing Spider-Man and one week after Pixar's Brave and Fox's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The film will now open against Stephenie Meyer's The Host and Tyler Perry's Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor.

What's interesting about this move is that it's not the first time Paramount has made such a radical shift this year. Back in January the studio decided to push Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters March 2, 2012 to January 11, 2013. Rumor has it that particular schedule change was due to the fact that Hansel and Gretel was a terrible movie. Let's hope the same isn't true for G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
PUSHED BACK 9 FUCKIN MONTHS!!?? What in the hell? Has anybody else ever seen anything like this??

I remember Shutter Island being delayed, and more recently World War Z being pushed back....but this is a summer blockbuster almost a month from the release?

Wow.

Oh....and this was definitely a rental for me...hated the first one...but thought the first trailer for this one looked like an improvement.
Yeah, for the first time in awhile.... I'm speechless. And of course, somehow this decision is linked to Cameron's Titanic?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I call BS , the movie is probably a big pile of crap. The directors previous films were Never Say Never and Step Up 3d. Probably going to do major re-shoots.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
I call BS , the movie is probably a big pile of crap. The directors previous films were Never Say Never and Step Up 3d. Probably going to do major re-shoots.
Thats what I'm thinking as well.

I wasn't gonna be seeing this anyways.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Big fucking mistake.

Scared of 'Spider-Man"? That movie is going to make bank no matter what. They could have pushed it back to an August release. 'ROC' was in August 2009 and it made some decent money, probably more than it should have.

This is going to backfire on them big time. Damn shame, I was kind of looking forward to it despite the main characters this go-around.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
9 months delay ? The studio is just asking for a leaked release to find its way on the torrents before it hits theaters.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 AM
What.

The.

Fuck?

A little over a month out and you decide to pull this? It was probably already going to do well overseas anyway. Fucking retarded. I can't think of another movie with as high a profile as this that was yanked at such a last minute.

Ghost Rider was delayed several months from summer 06 to Feb 07, but that was because it was probably going to get crushed. Same for Hard Rain (which was called The Flood for a while). Both of those had some extra FX work done and were delayed well before their scheduled release dates, but a full on 3D conversion that adds another $18 million to the budget?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now I know why they haven't been advertising this much lately.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 AM
The 3D statement is total B.S
Think of all the money they have wasted in ads and posters promoting it for summer 2012
Releasing it in March 29, 2013,with likely no competition is a smart move though
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Well, people are now going to be confused as fuck when they thought they were checking this out tomorrow but instead have to wait almost a year from now. Plus, who the hell would even want to see this thing in 3D?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM

I haven't seen the first one. Is it at least kinda entertaining?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I haven't seen the first one. Is it at least kinda entertaining?
As entertaining as a dry cock.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Delay [Properly] Explained

Deadline has posted an exclusive article in which it explains the various problems which prompted the GI Joe Retaliation delay for 3D. The information posted comes from alleged Paramount insiders:

"This was a case of letting a schedule to fill a summer slot dictate the film not being in 3D even though we knew that would be the most commercial version of the film. Then in the spring there were 2 big events. First John Carter lost $200M despite the best efforts of the Pixar brain trust. But the 3D film managed to gross over $200M overseas, nearly tripling its U.S. take.

“Also Channing Tatum had a breakout spring, starring in The Vow and 21 Jump Street. In our first screening of the film the reaction from audiences was good but with 2 big concerns: 1) They didn’t like the fact that Channing and The Rock really didn’t have any time to develop a friendship before Channing died, and 2) Why wasn’t it going to be in 3D? We went back and shot another week with Channing to develop more of his story with The Rock, which made the film play much better. But we didn’t have the time to be in 3D.

“Then a week ago Battleship basically had the same performance as John Carter – $60M-$70M U.S. and just over $200M international. That was just a wake-up call that said to us we need to offer the best version of the film irrespective of summer market share to ensure the best possible performance. And not being in 3D will cost us a ton of business internationally."

The Hollywood Reporter has also posted an article and stated the following:

"Paramount sources say studio chair Brad Grey and vice chair Rob Moore felt the expense was preferable to a duel with Sony’s Spider-Man reboot, out July 3.

“They looked at the landscape and realized they couldn’t compete,” agrees the producer in an appraisal shared by many executives and agents. Add to that the sinking of Universal’s $200 million-plus Battleship — another film based on a Hasbro property — and the potential downside looked especially distressing. So Paramount is adding 3D in hope of bolstering overseas box office and taking the opportunity to expand the role of Channing Tatum, whose stardom has grown thanks to The Vow and 21 Jump Street. In fact, Tatum’s character originally died in Retaliation, but it’s now possible he will be resurrected."

The article also has the following statement about Paramount, by an unnamed, "prominent player":

"“They are impossible to do business with,” says a prominent player. “They spend less money on movies than anybody; they develop fewer movies than anybody.”

The above statement was with regards to Paramount relying on hits by outsiders like Marvel Studios, in lieu of developing their own product.

Deadline has gone on to say that according to their sources, Jon Chu is still shell-shocked over the delay. Do you think the delay for 3D conversion will be worth it, and do you think Duke should live/play a more prominent role?

-----------------
Source: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/...plained-11401/
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post

Deadline has gone on to say that according to their sources, Jon Chu is still shell-shocked over the delay. Do you think the delay for 3D conversion will be worth it, and do you think Duke should live/play a more prominent role?

-----------------
Source: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/...plained-11401/
The film will most likely suffer domestically as a result of the delay, but internationally, it will be a success. I guess studios no longer care about the American audience, but then again, John Carter and Battleship didn't do well in America because of lack of 3D, they were just bad movies.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Having seen both movies, I would tend to agree with you there, Mr. Jig Saw.

I didn’t have a problem with Jon Chu up until now. Did it bother me that he directed ‘Step Up 2’ and that Justin Bieber movie? Not really. The fact that he is such a ‘big fan’ of the G.I.JOE franchise really impressed me. When the question of whether or not Duke [Channing Tatum] lives in ‘Retaliation’, Chu replied to the context of “G.I.JOE has always been full of surprises [not really] so expect the unexpected.” So, if by the 2 trailers everyone saw and assumed Duke would die since he’s hardly in any of the scenes, that’s so surprising there, Mr. Chu. You really fooled us there.

I don’t get why Hasbro would allow Duke to be killed off. He’s considered a fan favorite, even though many don’t care for the character. In 1987’s animated movie, they were originally going to kill off Duke in the movie. However, the heavy backlash that followed 1986’s animated ‘Transformers’ concerning the death of Optimus Prime, they let Duke come out of a coma by the end of the movie. Has Hasbro not learned anything in 26 years?! I guess not, since they allowed Michael bay to kill off Prime again in 2009’s ‘Revenge of the Fallen’.
WTF. [/inner geek fanboy rant]

Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Say what you will about Battleship, but John Carter is a movie I'll defend till the day I die. I LOVE that movie! It's been an incredibly limp year as far as great movies are concerned, but John Carter is easily among my 5 favorite of the year thus far. In fact, it's actually my second favorite. And that likely won't change until The Dark Knight Rises comes out.

And you know, even though I like Channing Tatum, I thought the idea of killing off Duke was actually pretty ballsy of them. It's too bad they lost their nerve and are likely going to take it back and not have him killed off anymore.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
If you need any more evidence of how boneheaded this decision was, just go check out the toy aisle nearest you - there are GI Joe Retaliation toys that have just reached the shelves. Sounds like someone isn't very coordinated.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty annoyed that they are killing off movie 1 characters like that. It's ballsy, perhaps a bit more realistic, but within the first 10min seems like overkill.
From what I understand Duke isn't the only movie 1 joe to die.
That aside, this idea that the Asian markets are eating up the 3D movies like hotcakes, while maybe true, makes me question the quality of the movie since they feel they NEED that piece of the pie. Granted extra sales doesn't hurt but almost a year later is questionable at best.

Sad too cause I wanted to see it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM
... ok, so here we are 9 months later. anyone(besides me) still looking forward to seeing this film? i found this 4 minute clip with Snake Eyes, Jinx, and Storm Shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-hLvEtdhZE8
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Byung-hun Lee is so much better than this movie , he should be getting more roles other than this shitty action movie.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
I feel like this could be alright, but every time I see a TV spot for this or Fast and Furious 6 I feel like The Rock's character is the same in both movies so I get confused haha.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
And Bruce Willis? ...he's the same in every movie. lol.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
G.I. JOE: RETALIATION LIMITED EDITION SNAKE EYES REALD 3D GLASSES

Cinemark is thrilled to announce that the first 100 people to see the action-packed “G.I. JOE: RETALIATION” from Paramount Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) and Skydance Productions in RealD 3D at their local XD theatre will receive a complimentary pair of special collectible G.I. Joe RealD 3D glasses.

These custom, limited edition RealD 3D glasses are available to the first 100 moviegoers attending 7:00 p.m. showtimes at participating U.S. theatres on Wednesday, March 27th, while supplies last.

http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2013/0...asses-revealed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reald-gi-joe-glasses-front.jpg.crop_display.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	11718  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Best Buy has a great deal right now for anybody planning on checking this out, pick up any of these movies and get a ticket worth $7.50 towards your admission:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...s&nrp=15&iht=n

Definitely some nice deals....I might pick up The Hunt For Red October..but I wasn't really planning on seeing this in theaters.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 AM
... just got back from seeing it!

Spoiler:
the direction of the film was all over the place and the pacing was bad. the good moments were when Snake Eyes, Jinx, and Storm Shadow were on screen. the Firefly character was pretty good too. Cobra Commander looked great, but didn't have the screen time he deserved. didn't like his voice either. i could've done a better job. the first movie had a good flow to it, this one didn't. however if you didn't like the first film, don't bother seeing this one.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
And Bruce Willis? ...he's the same in every movie. lol.
I know! You'd think he was shooting Die Hard and GI Joe simultaneously, and such uninspired dialogue that he sounds like he's making it up as he goes along.

Same with the Rock too. I can't tell the difference between set pics from GI Joe and the new Fast and Furious.

Dude..when people are bald their head is a blank canvas. Give them some fucking fake hair now and again. I want to watch these guys become someone else, not just be themselves in a new movie.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a fun movie. I liked the first one too, but it had too much high tech stuff that didn't really fit in the GI Joe universe and the costume design was all too generic if you think that the cartoon Joe´s all looked different. This time around the villains all look like their cartoon counterparts as do the vehicles.

Storm Shadow is a bad ass in this installment, even better than Snake Eyes. Ray Park didn't get to show off his acrobatic abilities, unlike Lee Byung-hun. Can't believe that dude is 42! He looks 27. The ninja battle in the mountains is the best part. It's just as awesome as ridiculous.

Not everything works though. Flint is a bland character and Bruce Willis has a glorified cameo that doesn't add much. He's basically there to deus ex machima the plot a bit. Adrianne Palicki has a pretty face, but ugh cover up that hideous gap between your boobs.

Overall this feels more like a G.I. Joe movie than the first one and it's a fine action flick before the summer strikes.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
After watching G.I. Joe: Retaliation i still wondered why the film was delayed from its original release date of June 2012 to March 2013.It definitely wasnt delayed to add some rousing content,or to add more scenes featuring the very popular Channing Tatum.It seems more likely the delay was due to the fact that the studios Paramount and MGM knew they had a mediocre product on their hands,and that it wouldnt be able to compete with The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man.

GIJR isnt a complete miss fire,there are some great action sequences,the mountain top battle featuring Snake Eyes (Ray Park) and his apprentice Jinx (Elodie Yung) is the stand out.Jonathan Pryce has some great one liners.
All of the other characters are bland Flint(D.J Cotrona) looks bored and Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki)is fun to look at but there is no spark to her character,watered down versions of the popular
characters from the animated series and comic books.

Scale of 1-10 a 6½ Wait for the DVD