Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Game, GameStation not stocking Mass Effect 3

So i saw this article on gamespot today:

Quote:
Game, GameStation not stocking Mass Effect 3

By Alex Sassoon Coby, GameSpot UK
Posted Feb 29, 2012 4:29 am PT

Neither Game or GameStation will stock March releases from EA; both retailers cancelling pre-orders, reportedly not offering cash refunds.

The woes of UK games retailer Game, and its subsidiary Gamestation, continue. EA has confirmed that anyone who has pre-ordered the Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition from any outlet other than Amazon, Play.com, Zavvi, and ShopTo.net should re-order through one of those four named retailers.

Though EA's announcement did not call out Game or Gamestation specifically, UK industry news site gamesindustry.biz reported that the stores would not be stocking any new EA games after the release of SSX this week. Gamesindustry.biz also reported that refunds would only be available as store credit, rather than cash.

An internal Game email from Tom Devine, the firm's managing director of Northern European operations, obtained by the site said that the Game group would not be stocking any of EA's March releases, citing not being able to get "the right credit terms" from EA.

Devine then provided the following message for staff to give to those who had pre-ordered Mass Effect 3, explaining that the firm could no longer fulfil those orders: ""If you have placed a deposit for a pre-order or are uncertain that your existing pre-order will be guaranteed, please contact your local retailer." Those who suffered from cancellations will also be offered 5 of Reward points.

Attempts to call Game's stores were met with a recorded message, telling anyone who wants information on their Mass Effect pre-orders to go to the firm's website--which is still offering standard editions for pre-order, as well as the PlayStation 3 edition of the N7 Collector's Edition.

Neither EA nor Game Group had responded to requests for comment at press time.
From what i gather EA isn't allowing them to pre order the collectors editions cause of bad credit?

Can some one help me out here and tell me whats going on? So are these Game/Gamestation stores trying to screw EA over or is it the other way around?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 AM
The plot thickens.....

Quote:
GAME Australia "intends" to stock Mass Effect 3

By Laura Parker, GameSpot AU
Posted Feb 29, 2012 4:12 pm PT

The retailer says that Australian operations have not been affected by GAME UK's decision to no longer stock EA titles.

GAME Australia has confirmed that it still intends to stock Mass Effect 3, following news overnight that GAME UK and its subsidiary Gamestation would not be stocking any new EA games after the release of SSX.

According to UK industry news site Gamesindustry.biz, GAME UK cited not being able to get "the right credit terms" from EA as the reason for no longer stocking the publisher's titles.

The Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition.

The Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition.

GAME Australia told GameSpot AU today that it is in talks with EA Australia about the situation.

"In light of the news over in Europe between GAME and EA around Mass Effect 3, we're discussing the situation with EA here in Australia this morning," managing director of GAME Australia Paul Yardley told GameSpot AU.

"Our intention is, as it has always been, to stock Mass Effect 3 for our customers. Each GAME territory acts independently, and we're not compelled to act in the same light as our European counterparts."

GAME Australia said it would reveal any changes or updates to this decision if and when they occur.

GameSpot AU has contacted EA for comment and will update this story as news comes in.
Well it seems the Aussies are still going to get the game, which is good. I was wondering though what the market share is like in the UK or Australia for gaming store? Are these Game and Gamestation stores the only real place to buy games? In North America we have Gamestop and EB Games but most retail stores and several electronics stores also sell lots of games.

I guess what i'm wondering is what is it These stores are trying to accomplish aside from alienating their customers buy not giving a cash refund for a product the store chose to not stock?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Fucked up sitch.

Glad I live in the good ol' US of A.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Feel bad for my ME peeps in the UK... Guess grab another game with the store credit and throw up your pre-order quick... We've got 5 days left in the US and they've got 8 days left I think.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
Feel bad for my ME peeps in the UK... Guess grab another game with the store credit and throw up your pre-order quick... We've got 5 days left in the US and they've got 8 days left I think.
But how do you feel about only getting store credit though? I mean as a gamer, and like you say, you're just going to get another game with the preorder cash but doesn't it piss you off they you can't get an actual refund for something the store has chosen not to stock?

I mean as far as i could tell they could have done it but just didn't like what EA was telling them for credit (this is the part that i'm really not sure on) so they chose to not do it as some sort of slight to EA? If thats the case i would want my cash back and i probably would try to not buy from that chain anymore cause who knows when they might pull that kind of crap again.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Apparently, even though I feel it would suck to only have store credit, the store credit has been clarified to only be the 5 pounds incentive. Either GAME caved to pressure about the refund only being store credit or they didn't clarify well enough when they first said it. So luckily for everybody who pre-ordered it there, you get your full cash refund for you Mass Effect 3 pre-order, but you get 5 pounds in store credit.
Some sites are saying that GAME has been having this kind of trouble before, like when Ubisoft wouldn't ship them any copies of their Vita titles. Apparently GAME is just having trouble competing with online retailers because of their prices and are not able to pay up. Because of shady practices or honest downturn in business, I can't say for sure.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden_208; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
Apparently, even though I feel it would suck to only have store credit, the store credit has been clarified to only be the 5 pounds incentive. Either GAME caved to pressure about the refund only being store credit or they didn't clarify well enough when they first said it. So luckily for everybody who pre-ordered it there, you get your full cash refund for you Mass Effect 3 pre-order, but you get 5 pounds in store credit.
Some sites are saying that GAME has been having this kind of trouble before, like when Ubisoft wouldn't ship them any copies of their Vita titles. Apparently GAME is just having trouble competing with online retailers because of their prices and are not able to pay up. Because of shady practices or honest downturn in business, I can't say for sure.
Ah ok that's not so bad then. Yeah i'm actually sort of intrigued by the whole situation with this retailer now. Mostly cause i don't recall hearing about stuff like this in the past (not that i'm all that well informed mind you) so it kind of blew me away when i read about it.

I couldn't imagine the game store chians here doing something like that but then again i don't think they're having any real trouble competing these days.