Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
The Girl Next Door

Anyone else think this movie sucks ass? I am usually beside Arrow on his reviews, but I really just don't get this one. Everything about this movie is garbage. A true example of "violence for the sake of violence". And it doesn't even work on that level.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I didn't like it either. It didn't work for me, I know it's based on the true story and all, and the acts that happened to this poor girl in real life are absolutely revolting and disgusting, but the film didn't do anything for me. I think with a different director and script maybe it would work.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I actually liked it, though it was really, really disturbing. To me, this is this most disturbing horror movie of all time. Forget A Serbian Film, Girl Next Door was WAY more disturbing to me. GND is the only movie where I literally had to leave the room during one scene.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM

I really hated this film. I like my horror movies. But what they did to this girl was sick. I guess the director achieved what he set out to do with most audiences.
And that was to disgust them I guess. I was truly troubled after this flick. And I thought it would have ended on some type of hopeful note. It didn't.

3/10

Last edited by God of War; 01-30-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Saw this a few years back and yeah, it just didnt do anything for me.

4/10
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 AM
A harsh look at a horrific act. A bit of poor acting is quickly overlooked when the girl who is playing the subject of endless torture acts a little too well. A bit too much for me to watch more than once.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
This is a film I cannot say I like or dislike. Was it effective? I think so. Was it enjoyable? No. Was it poorly made? Yeah. Did it portray some nasty human nature effectively and accurately? Sadly, yep.

This is a distrubing story and a disturbing film. Ive never been able to rate it and more than likely never will. It is disgusting, as disgusting as the story it is delivering (obviously). It was not fun to watch, nor was it well made so... bad movie, sure. I personally cant rate it and just try to forget it. It just pisses me off.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
In my opinion, this film did exactly what it set out to do - show the events of a truly horrific crime. People shouldn't go into a film like this expecting an uplifting, coming of age tale - it depicts evil and disgusting acts that leave you feeling dirty and sickened - I know I did.

I'm not calling it a masterpiece by any means, but I do believe it was VERY effective and had a realistic element. It also built things up and made you feel for the lead character (victim). I also don't think you can give it a poor rating because the source material offends you.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 AM
I just watched this recently and I was slightly let down. It just wasn't what I was expecting and I can see why some people didn't like it. I don't think I would recommend it to any of my friends who enjoy the horror genre. I didn't hate it but it's not something I'll watch again.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Theres a topic floating around in which many of us have recently commented in regarding this flick. I havent checked but its probably about 5-10 threads below this one (seeing as the horror section is rather abandoned as of late). Go to that one.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
I just watched this recently and I was slightly let down. It just wasn't what I was expecting and I can see why some people didn't like it. I don't think I would recommend it to any of my friends who enjoy the horror genre. I didn't hate it but it's not something I'll watch again.
I don't think a film of this nature really fits into any genre. Just my. 02 but true crime films have a genre all their own.