Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Man sues movie theater because snacks are too expensive

This might need to be moved to General, but I figured everyone bitches about high snack prices in the rant section a lot, so I put it here.

Quote:
By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

Who hasn't stood in front of a movie theater concession stand and been stunned by the prices of snacks and drinks? $5 for a bottled water? $8 for a bag of popcorn? $4 for a box of M&Ms? If regular moviegoers haven't smuggled in their own snacks, they've almost certainly thought about it.

Joshua Thompson of Livonia, Mich., actually did something about it. He filled a class action suit against his local AMC Theater protesting the snack overpricing, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Thompson wouldn't talk to the paper, but the Free Press reports that the man used to bring his own snacks and drinks to the theater until a sign was posted banning doing so.



The lawsuit also provides some blunt price comparison, saying Thompson paid $8 for a Coke and box of Goobers chocolate-covered peanuts at the theater in December, three times what the items were being sold for at nearby stores.



The Free Press notes that the lawsuit will likely be thrown out, quoting legal experts who say that because movie theaters are regulated, they are exempt from Michigan's Consumer Protection Act.

The best line in the Free Press story? "A staffer at the National Association of Theatre Owners in Washington, D.C., angrily hung up the phone when asked about industry snack pricing practices."

And another great quote comes from this 2007 article from Boston, in which Ian M. Judge, director of operations for a theater chain, is quoted as saying, "I worked for Loews for five years and I can tell you that I was told many times that we were not a theater but a restaurant that happens to show movies."

Of course, this is America, where a business is free to set its own prices, and consumers are free to pay them or to choose not to patronize the business. A 2009 Stanford research study says that high snack prices at theaters can actually be a good thing, because they keep ticket prices lower, as theater owners know they'll make it back from us at the concession counter. Although that 2009 study took place before the ubiquitous addition of 3-D to almost every film out there boosted those prices as well. No business like show business indeed.

The Stanford research study is complete bullshit. Ticket prices as we all know are tied to what the studios make, so raising them does not mean all that much more money in their pockets. They should have done a study on the relationship between high snack prices and the amount sold. I am willing to bet the higher the prices, the lower the sales. I know I have almost stopped buying stuff at a theater. I will literally have a meal at the same price before I go.

I do find it interesting about how movie theaters are regulated. Anyone know more about that?

It will be thrown out, but I salute his efforts. I believe it to be price gouging.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Whatever happened to dinner and then a movie?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
It will be thrown out, but I salute his efforts. I believe it to be price gouging.
There is no such thing as price gouging. It was a term made up to make people believe they are being cheated.

You know what determines prices? Supply and demand. If demand is there, prices will rise until the demand drops.

Nobody forces you to buy these snacks, they are offered to eat with the movie. It is not a necessity to live. As mentioned, go before or after the film to dinner.

Movie theaters are in the business to make money. It is a luxury meant for those who can afford to go. If you do not like the prices, rent a movie, get some local grocery store popcorn, and enjoy in your own home.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm known to attend movies by myself from time to time, you think any employees will question me if I start to wear a satchel to the theater?

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
There is no such thing as price gouging. It was a term made up to make people believe they are being cheated.

You know what determines prices? Supply and demand. If demand is there, prices will rise until the demand drops.

Nobody forces you to buy these snacks, they are offered to eat with the movie. It is not a necessity to live. As mentioned, go before or after the film to dinner.

Movie theaters are in the business to make money. It is a luxury meant for those who can afford to go. If you do not like the prices, rent a movie, get some local grocery store popcorn, and enjoy in your own home.

Problem solved.
And I quote
"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation."

So there very well is price gouging in the world. To me, this includes itheaters (sporting events too). You are not allowed to bring in your know stuff and then they over charge you for their goods. That is the very definition of price gouging.

Oil / Gas is supply and demand. That is not the case for theaters. They are not making enough money from the distributors of movies, so they try to rip us off.

In case you are not aware, less tickets are sold today and almost every year for the last 10 years. It is a major problem of the movie industry, so people are choosing to not go. There's your lower demand. Yet prices keep going up. So your theory is not working here.

Maybe, just maybe the theaters should lower the pricing on their goods and that would prompt more people to show up or buy. I know I would be more likely to buy their stuff if it was at better pricing. Unlike sports, who sell out their events, movie theaters are not nearly as full as years past.


I am also so sick of that bullshit line "if you dont like it, dont do it or buy it" We all know and understand that, but that does not make it right.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Just for giggles and I have 2 extra mins.

a med popcorn and med soda costs about $11 at my local theater.

I do the food shopping so I know.
Soda usually costs me $11 for 4 twelve packs of sodas. My special orville redenbacher gourmet popcorn and oil cost $6 and $3 recpectively.

For $20 bucks, I can eat and drink a whole lot of popcorn and coke. I am surround sound and a 60 inch plasma. I do wait 3 or 4 months til the movie come on dvd and rent or buy it.

I can live with the price of tickets at $10 or $11 bucks. I don't go to 3d viewings, but once a year. I like to eat when I watch movies. If the food was literally half the price, I would buy it everytime. There came a point in which I was not going to support them anymore. I am in sales. It is better to get part of something, than nothing of something. Theaters would rather rip some people off than get some money from everyone. At least rip me off quality goods. $4 for a bottle of water is crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
If people do not like the prices, don't buy the crap. Don't go to the movies. Force them to lower prices.

People try to capitalize any chance they get to make money.

Going to the movies is not a right, it is a luxury.


Yes, I know less people go to the movies, but the theaters raise the price to make up for the loss demand. People still go to make up for that loss.

People will always bitch about prices unless it was free, then they would find something else to bitch about.

The theater owners can do what they want, IT IS THEIR BUSINESS. If it drives away customers, it is their own fault for not doing enough to keep demand up.

People complained about gas hitting $4 a gallon saying it was price gouging. Well, the price dropped when it was determined that people would not pay the high prices. It has gone up recently, and for the most part, people are still driving. It will hit $5 before we know it, and then drop to around $4, and it will be considered a bargain.

When you consider that hey I can get popcorn, soda, and other snacks cheaper, maybe it would be cheaper to watch movies at home. More and more people have set their homes up with home theater systems allowing for a similar experience. In the long run, it is cheaper. Invite over some friends, and maybe order some food, same experience, lower price tag.

End of story.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
As someone who has heard this complaint endlessly for the past 18 years while working at various movie theaters, all I have to say is:


You don't need a fucking snack to watch a movie.

Think prices are too high? Don't fucking buy anything. No one is making you buy candy or popcorn, so if you don't like the price, shut the fuck up and movie along.

Because guess what? Plenty of people are willing to spend the money, and that's why shit is the price it is: people buy it.

If everyone stopped buying popcorn and candy, you better believe prices would drop. But they won't. So if you just gotta have something in your mouth during the movie, go eat a bag of dicks and see if any of us care.

And I honestly don't care if you sneak shit in, so long as you actually try and hide it. Otherwise, cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Well l have to agree that high snack prices in cinemas are over priced

After you buy your ticket and snacks and also if you are in a group it can cost alot

But sueing a cinema is not going to get you anywhere all you do is not go anymore and then cinemas may start putting there prices down

The prices for a ticket and snacks can cost nearly over 80 dollars so yes it is steep
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
No one is making you buy candy or popcorn, so if you don't like the price, shut the fuck up and movie along.

So if you just gotta have something in your mouth during the movie, go eat a bag of dicks and see if any of us care.
Oh, man. I love this guy. You crack me up, dude

And the thing is, I agree with you 100%
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, imagine how pissed this guy would be if he ended up seeing Drive.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
As someone who has heard this complaint endlessly for the past 18 years while working at various movie theaters, all I have to say is:


You don't need a fucking snack to watch a movie.

Think prices are too high? Don't fucking buy anything. No one is making you buy candy or popcorn, so if you don't like the price, shut the fuck up and movie along.

Because guess what? Plenty of people are willing to spend the money, and that's why shit is the price it is: people buy it.

If everyone stopped buying popcorn and candy, you better believe prices would drop. But they won't. So if you just gotta have something in your mouth during the movie, go eat a bag of dicks and see if any of us care.

And I honestly don't care if you sneak shit in, so long as you actually try and hide it. Otherwise, cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.
This is why i put it in the rant section.

BTW Fuck you, I hope you burn your hand on making that pop corn, get a paper cut on that ticket stub and spill that soda on your shoes. Just kidding about the fuck you part.
I am only going to the movies with fat people for now on.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Prices are high, sure, but they keep the theatres running. The majority of the money that theatres make are through concessions. Also, if food bought outside of the theatre is banned, it's not that difficult to sneak it in. It's not like they search you (at least not in any cases I've heard of). Just don't walk past the ticket ripping stand with a bucket of KFC in hand. That's like walking into a bar with a quart of rum and expecting that they are going to make money off of your shitty dance moves.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
This is equivalent to when that old cunt sued McDonald's for spilling coffee on herself and getting burned, because it was "too hot", and won. Because she fucking won, people in this god damned country feel like they can sue any business/anyone over anything and end up actually fucking WINNING! That's not the case anymore, and I hope the judge laughs his fucking ASS off at this asshole trying to make easy money. Because the act of stupidly suing over something this frivolously asinine should be illegal in itself!

I hate the price of food/drinks/snacks at theatre's, and when I DID go to theatre's on a regular basis I hardly ever bought anything anyway. Fuck them and their ridiculously overpriced bullshit!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Agreed on all counts, jaw. Remember that fat black dude a few years back, who sued fast food outlets, because he got really over weight?
Yeah. They held a sawn-off shotty to his ugly mug and forced him to eat all of that crap. It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Agreed on all counts, jaw. Remember that fat black dude a few years back, who sued fast food outlets, because he got really over weight?
Yeah. They held a sawn-off shotty to his ugly mug and forced him to eat all of that crap. It's pathetic.
I know, right? And I'm sure he won, correct? Or if not him, someone else who did the same thing and ultimately ended up winning, I assume.

It's fucking asinine and ridiculously unnecessary.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I almost never buy food at the concession stands. Instead, I sneak food inside the theater. I'm lucky that during the winter I wear a big coat with pretty big pockets. I can fit a few things in their.


I don't feel sorry for this guy or anyone who bitches about the overpriced food/beverages. You know why? Because they buy it anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I usually do go to the theater after a good meal or just grab some fast food on the way so I don't have to drop a bunch on snacks. I won't hesitate to throw the extra $5 out for a large soda, I love to have something to sip on during a movie. But yeah it pays to have a group to share a large popcorn and get the free refills, I've done this many times.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Prices are high, sure, but they keep the theatres running. The majority of the money that theatres make are through concessions.
This is actually a big overblown myth. If we had to survive on our concession stand sales, we'd be out of business a long time ago. Most of our revenue is from ticket sales, even after splitting it with the studios, by a pretty wide margin.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM
He has a case to make...a box of Goobers is COMPLETELY needed to enjoy a movie. On a serious note, snacks/drink prices are too high, but they are a luxury. The prices are made clear before you order, and it is just as easy to eat before/after the movie.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I can't really complain at this present moment in time. When I go to the movies to see a film on the big screen, it's always at my IMAX cinema. Always. All it costs me to see any movie day day of the week is $6.50 (AUSD). They have a great food bar. More than one. And I always buy a large popcorn which is only $4.50. And it's big. I always buy a large drink. Not soda or anything. Normally just a fruit juice. That is also reasonably priced.

But most of the time I will bring a large drink with me after having it in the home freezer most of the night. And I always have lunch before I go in to the early afternoon screening. Normally that's a foot long subway roll with double of everything. They are also very reasonable in price at around $7-$10. And they're quite big here. So, all in all, I don't really have issues with the flicks other than than the retarded cock-smokers who insist on playing with their fucked-up mobiles. But I have to be perfectly honest in that I have not had any issues for the longest time.

Knock on wood

If they want to charge $10 for a packet of M&M's in the future. I really couldn't care less.

Last edited by God of War; 03-07-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I know, right? And I'm sure he won, correct?
Come to think of it. Yes. He did win the case. The judge should have kicked him out of the court room, and told him to not waste his or anyone else's time. Right? Also, the judge is a spastic in the first place for even hearing the case.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm less concerned with the price of concessions and more concerned that in 15-20 years that the theater industry will die out. It will probably be replaced by instant streaming of new studio releases in home theaters. Whatever happens, I'm not going to pay more than 12 bucks to see a flick, and when/if that happens I will boycott the damn theaters and wait for the eventual dvd/blu-ray release, as painful as it may be.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I'm less concerned with the price of concessions and more concerned that in 15-20 years that the theater industry will die out. It will probably be replaced by instant streaming of new studio releases in home theaters.
Dude. That's happening now as we speak. Through Itunes on demand you can see films before they even hit the big screens. And what with torrents, dvd screeners, and all of that junk, it's all making the cinema process vanish all that much more rapidly, But I don't think cinemas will ever totally disappear. I hope not anyways.

Last edited by God of War; 03-07-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Dude. That's happening now as we speak. Through Itunes on demand you can see films before they even hit the big screens. And what with torrents, dvd screeners, and all of that junk, it's all making the cinema process vanish all that much more rapidly, But I don't think cinemas will ever totally disappear. I hope not.
Me too. I already, like so many others, lost the experience of going to a video rental store on a Friday or Saturday night, (or any other night for that matter). I used to love going to the store and looking at the selection and talking to people about movies. Now I fear we may lose another sacred experience in the world of films.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Me too. I already, like so many others, lost the experience of going to a video rental store on a Friday or Saturday night, (or any other night for that matter). I used to love going to the store and looking at the selection and talking to people about movies. Now I fear we may lose another sacred experience in the world of films.
Shit. I never really thought about that before now. I have enjoyed the video shop experience since the early VHS video days. I love to go and browse through all of the films, tv shows etc etc on dvd. And I still do it regularly. I'd be devastated if I was denied that pleasure, man. Online viewing has it's place. But at the end of the day, there's nothing quite like a visit to the dvd shop, and mixing it up with other fans of film. Dude. I'm depressed now that that may become a very strong possibility in the future. It truly is, as you say, a sacred experience.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Dude. That's happening now as we speak. Through Itunes on demand you can see films before they even hit the big screens. And what with torrents, dvd screeners, and all of that junk, it's all making the cinema process vanish all that much more rapidly, But I don't think cinemas will ever totally disappear. I hope not anyways.
I doubt we'll see the disappearance of the theatre in our lifetime. The theatre experience is a social experience that's an important part of a lot of people lives. Sure, many people would rather stream it from home. That's fine. I'm glad that technology is growing.

I also like to order food and have it delivered to my door, but sometimes I like to go to restaurants and share that experience with friends and family.

I think you'll find that with all this new technology, we will lose the amount of theaters we have. But the few remaining will be really special. Because once the chain-theatre goes out of business only independent theaters will remain. And those independent theaters are going to be run by film fans, for film fans. They will be built to cater to people like us. They'll be making all the money from people like you and me who still enjoy going to the theatre. The best part is, non film fans will sit at home and stream flicks while we sit in an ass-hole-free theater. No more babies interrupting the movie, no more people yelling, or talking on their phones. It'll be primarily film fans.

Just think of how many people out there love going to the theatre. It's a pretty large demographic. As long as theres demand for something like theaters, we'll have theaters.

so no worries
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think a 10 billion dollar industry is going to go away, especially not after spending a shit ton of money to convert over to digital projectors.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I doubt we'll see the disappearance of the theatre in our lifetime. The theatre experience is a social experience that's an important part of a lot of people lives.
Good point. And one I let slide. Reason being, 99% of the time I'm a loner when going to the movies. So, the whole social element kinda slipped my mind. If ya know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I think you'll find that with all this new technology, we will lose the amount of theaters we have. But the few remaining will be really special. Because once the chain-theatre goes out of business only independent theaters will remain. And those independent theaters are going to be run by film fans, for film fans. They will be built to cater to people like us. They'll be making all the money from people like you and me who still enjoy going to the theatre.
I can't argue with that. Not that I want to. Because it all makes perfect sense to me. That actually sounds pretty awesome. A movie cinema run by movie fans for movie fans. That's alot of fans (pun). How cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
The best part is, non film fans will sit at home and stream flicks while we sit in an ass-hole-free theater. No more babies interrupting the movie, no more people yelling, or talking on their phones. It'll be primarily film fans.
Once again, I like the logic in your post. Especially the bit about ASSHOLE-FREE cinemas. You got my vote on that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Just think of how many people out there love going to the theatre. It's a pretty large demographic. As long as theres demand for something like theaters, we'll have theaters.
Finally another true statement. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I love watching movies in theaters while eating popcorn and drinking soda but I hate to pay for a high theater concession. In this article, Good reason exists for movie theater concession prices I read that the exorbitant prices for popcorn, soda and candy at the movies fueled Michigan resident Joshua Thompson to file a class action lawsuit against his local AMC Theater. He's really brave enough to sue his favorite movie theater for concession.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
The dumbass who's suing doesn't have a chance in hell. Like it's already been said, prices are high but he has a choice. I can understand the McDonald's hot coffee and eating fast food rulings - however ridiculous they may be. Those rulings affected how those businesses do their business - most of, if not all, of their products now come with warnings: "Content may be hot," nutrition labels, etc. But suing over high prices? That's more retarded that burning yourself with hot coffee. Don't like it? Don't buy it and sneak it in like everybody else is doing.

I myself try to take advantage of every deal I can get at movie theaters, since I go so often. I get discounted Regal and AMC tickets through work so I usually don't pay full price when I go to the movies. I also have the movie membership cards that get me deals on popcorn and drinks every so often. I recommend that too. They help a little, which is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Yeah, I don't think a 10 billion dollar industry is going to go away, especially not after spending a shit ton of money to convert over to digital projectors.
How does spending a shit ton of money on upgrading projectors gurantee the long-term succession of a business? In this day and age any business can be on the verge of failing, take the automobile industry for example. They were bailed out just a short time ago. This isn't exactly an age of wise business practices either, seeing as how many companies continue to outsource while knowing that it will damage our economy in the long run, (not that this directly applies to theaters, but you get my meaning). I seriously doubt that the economy will rebound in a couple of years. It's going to take a long ass time to get it back to a point of stability.

Until that happens, you won't see me spending my hard earned cash on 3D films that cost 13 to 14 bucks for admission, (which have helped this industry to survive in recent times). As I said before, I'm not going to pay over twelve bucks to see a film in a non-3D format. If ticket prices keep rising at the rate they have been, it's entirely conceivable that we could see that happen by 2015-2016. I don't forsee our economic problems being resolved by that time and I doubt that a majority of film goers are going to want to pay those prices either.

When theatrical films are completely integrated into home streaming systems it will probably make more sense to rent a movie at home, save your gas, and enjoy it on your own entertainment center. Of course, I'm not going to pay 60 bucks to see Tower Heist on my tv, (fuck you studios) I'll wait until the prices are reasonable, (i.e. renting Melancholia for 7 bucks).

I don't know the future of the film industry, but I would guess that with the way home entertainment systems are evolving and the way cinemas are failing to evolve, (shitty post-production 3D) that at the very least it will eventually be cheaper and wiser to stay home and watch big blockbusters on the small screen. Digital projectors are not a guranteed industry saver and I doubt that a majority of film goers will stop and think something like, "digital projectors in movie theaters drastically improve the picture quality, I think I'll go to the movies more often from now on!"

I don't think most people really give a shit about the enhanced digital quality of the picture. I think what they really care about is that the movie is on a giant fucking screen and that the sound is really fucking loud.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
How does spending a shit ton of money on upgrading projectors gurantee the long-term succession of a business? In this day and age any business can be on the verge of failing, take the automobile industry for example. They were bailed out just a short time ago. This isn't exactly an age of wise business practices either, seeing as how many companies continue to outsource while knowing that it will damage our economy in the long run, (not that this directly applies to theaters, but you get my meaning). I seriously doubt that the economy will rebound in a couple of years. It's going to take a long ass time to get it back to a point of stability.
It's in the best interest of both Hollywood and movie theaters that movie theaters stay in business. Hollywood would be losing Ten Billion Dollars if the movie theater industry failed.

Comparing theaters to the auto industry doesn't work. For one thing, movie theaters are recession-proof. While the auto industry has changed radically over the years, movie theaters have basically been the same thing for a hundred years (step 1 - go to theater; step 2 - watch movie), bells and whistles aside.

I think if anything has been hurt by the economy, it's DVD sales, not movie theaters.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Well before l go to the cinema l always go to the supermarket to buy my snacks and l can tell you it runs out cheaper

But l have to say l do like my Choc top icecream so l will buy it at the snack bar
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Someone should introduce this guy to these things called pockets and tell him to stuff candy in them. It's amazing, you can find pockets in your pants, coat, etc.!

The prices of the snacks are definitely way too much for my liking, so if I can, I only get popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well before l go to the cinema l always go to the supermarket to buy my snacks and l can tell you it runs out cheaper
This x1000. I could spend $10 on a medium Coke and a box of candy at the theater, but buying a bottle of Coke and candy at the drug store next door costs me roughly $3 (which is why I only buy popcorn at the theater and nothing else, besides my ticket of course). The drug store even sells candy in boxes like you would find them in the theater since I guess they just figure people will try to sneak them in (and they're only 99 cents apiece!).
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Well it is true if you go to your local supermarket you will get the snack at a lower price but at the cinema you will pay around a few more extra dollars for the same things
Even popcorn you are paying 5 to 6 dollars in the theatre while at the local shop 2 dollars

You see if you are taking a a family of five to the cinema you are paying a alot for snacks plus the ticket it can cost you over 150 dollars or more
You can buy a couple of cans of coke also and not pay through the roof
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
You see if you are taking a a family of five to the cinema you are paying a alot for snacks plus the ticket it can cost you over 150 dollars or more
You can buy a couple of cans of coke also and not pay through the roof
I usually go to matinees, but still . . . it's been a long time since I saw a family of more than 3 at the movies - obviously for the reasons you stated. It's just tremendously cheaper for families to watch movies at home. You don't have to pay per person, you save tremendously on snacks and drinks, and with home entertainment centers as awesome as they are today, it's not worth going to the movies as a family anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Well that is true you dont see familys going to the cinema as you would have a few years back
I know a year or two ago they started to put prices down but not enough for familys to still go

They did this because people were not going out to the theatre maybe we all should boycott and see if somethnig changes
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 AM
We should understand that good reason exists for movie theater concession prices. If we don't buy on the concessions, it's likely that the theater will go out of business. But no one is forcing anyone to go to movie and buy foods they can't afford, it's still their decision. Just saying.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyB View Post
We should understand that [url=http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/03/06/theater-concession-prices/]
Alright so this is a huge coincidence because I click on the link and noticed the picture. It looked strikingly familiar. I clicked on the picture and found that it was the theater that I would go to all the time when I was a kid to a teenager. The design changed as that looks like an old picture but man, of all the theaters, in all the towns, in all the world, they show mine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump