Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Kirk Cameron: Homosexuality Is "Detrimental and Destructive"

http://www.eonline.com/news/kirk_cam...imental/298546

Quote:
So much for that lovable Mike Seaver rep.

In a sit-down on Piers Morgan Tonight that aired Friday, former Growing Pains star Kirk Cameron blasted gay marriage and homosexuality calling it "destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

And that was just the beginning.

When the 41-year-old outspoken "born-again Christian" was asked about his thoughts on gays tying the knot, Cameron said, "Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the Garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don't think anyone else should either."

"So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't."

And when asked if he thought homosexuality was a sin, Cameron went on to say, "I think that it's unnatural. I think that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

But, that wasn't all.

Morgan continued to discuss the topic with the father of six, asking Cameron what he would say to one of his sons if he told him he was gay.

And Cameron admitted he wouldn't be so accepting.

"I wouldn't say 'That's great, son, as long as you're happy.' I'm going to say, There are all sorts of issues we need to wrestle through in our life. Just because you feel one way doesn't mean we should act on everything we feel."

Following the interview, Cameron's comments ignited a firestorm with gay rights groups like GLAAD, which launched a campaign against the former teen idol, encouraging its members to sign a petition against him to let him know he's "no longer their idol."

"In this interview, Kirk Cameron sounds even more dated than his 1980s TV character," said Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs at GLAAD.

"Cameron is out of step with a growing majority of Americans … with an increasing number of states recognizing marriage equality, Americans are seeing that marriage is about committed couples who want to make a lifelong promise to take care of and be responsible for each other and that gay and lesbian couples need equal security and legal protections. That's not ‘redefining' anything."

Last edited by Matchbox225; 03-05-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
That motherfucker's had a cock in his mouth and/or ass. Guaranteed.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Kirk Cameron: loser

Pretty sure ancient Greece was considered very gay, and it gave birth to modern democracy. So, yeah, very detrimental.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Mr. Crocoduck is right on the money. Homosexuality is so detrimental to society. I mean, just look at the...um...

Hmm...

You know, the thing with the...uh...

Well, what about the...uh...y'know...the, the...

Alright, I'll get back to you on this one...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Religion is "Detrimental and Destructive"

Fixed.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Funny how this guy is being bashed for following his religion. So much for freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I am in no way a fan of Kirk Cameron but he was not being rude or ugly about his beliefs, just stating how he feels on the situation.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Kirk first went hardcore Christian during the last 2 seasons of GROWING PAINS... and has been irrelevant ever since.

Also, he forced the writers to make Mike Seaver become a character that followed the lifestyle he himself wanted to follow, and was the major reason for the fall of the show as a whole; he refused to do what the writers wanted for his CHARACTER and did his own thing - everyone else be damned.

On top of that, it's all fine and dandy that he has these fucked up beliefs which rely on the concept that homosexuality is a choice and not a state of being... I'm sure he'd also refuse to accept anything else that wouldn't fit within his imaginary world of super-fundamentalist irrationality as "The Devil's Work".

At the same time, it's nice to see that he's not trying to exert his influence in the political field. I am a firm believer in the separation between church and state and get pissed off when that right is blatantly ignored due to some political zealot's need to push his/her beliefs on others who in America have every right to think otherwise.

This is his opinion; he's not trying to sit in some political chair so that's alright with me; and I'm glad he's not MY father.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Funny how this guy is being bashed for following his religion. So much for freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I am in no way a fan of Kirk Cameron but he was not being rude or ugly about his beliefs, just stating how he feels on the situation.
I think its less about the fact that he follows his religion (which is fine by me). But its more that he went out of his way to share his views in a planned interview. I haven't heard about Kirk since the movie Fireproof and he's not exactly been in the limelight. As Kc said, he's been irrelevant for years. So, why all of a sudden does Kirk Cameron want to talk about his ideas of marriage? He obviously wanted to get his views out there and persuade some viewers to say 'I agree with that man', and others to get angry. Why would he want to do this other than to cause a fervor? He can have his beliefs but I don't want to hear about them.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
he was not being rude or ugly about his beliefs
Quote:
Kirk Cameron blasted gay marriage and homosexuality calling it "destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."
Yeah... I'd consider that both rude and very ugly.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
If you think intolerance genuinely has anything to being a Christian (my parents tried to brainwash me, too, but it didn't take), you're as big a douche as Mr. Cameron is. That's what happens when simple-minded people take a work of fiction literally.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Oh no, here we go again.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
Yeah... I'd consider that both rude and very ugly.
I wouldn't...you know why?

Because he was asked (like most of the other things he talked about), so he gave an answer. That's how an interview works. You may not agree with what he said, and you're free to think and say however you feel about it; but you can't fault him for stating his beliefs (regardless of how others who also believe actually view it) and how he reconciles them...even his views on abortion, which was the most difficult for me to listen to.

Plus, as you go on in the interview, Piers actually came off as the bigger jerk, antagonizing Cameron. I gotta say, he made non-homophobes look bad...and that's a difficult thing to do.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't agree with his views on homosexuality or his religion on many points, but I have to agree from a Darwinistic standpoint that homosexuality is counterproductive to...reproduction, only in that obviously two males and two females do not a child make. I'm supportive of homosexuality in that I think it is natural and we have the right to love whoever we may so happen to fall in love with, but from that standpoint alone I could agree. I also think that views such as this ("My religion says ____ isn't right, so it should be illegal") have been far more harmful to our culture than two men or two women holding hands. Those are his beliefs and he's not necessarily forcing it on others; I mean, he was asked for his views on the subject, right? That's how an interview works. I'm glad that I'm not his son, but I'm also not a homosexual, so it really doesn't affect me and until he begins a political campaign against this, he isn't necessarily hurting anything. He's just being kind of a douche.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Funny how this guy is being bashed for following his religion. So much for freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
"Freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion" do not = "freedom from criticism".
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM
I can't take anything this guy says seriously. Uber religious people have no sense of life beyond the scope of their little world.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I heard about this earlier and got mad. Then I remembered the CrocoDuck thing and felt stupid. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
"Freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion" do not = "freedom from criticism".
Agreed.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
That's what happens when simple-minded people take a work of fiction literally.

When your beliefs are based on this "work of fiction" you tend to follow them. Some follow them to the letter, some interpret it differently and follow how they feel and some just pretend to follow them for a better public image. You can call it simple minded and you can call me a douche, that is fine but that still does not prove your point and prove Kurt wrong. The only thing simple minded here would be your rude reply, shows your lack of vocabulary and thought process. A valid counterpoint without insult would be a better way to get your point across.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Here's the fucking problem, RIGHT HERE. Religion CAN BE WRONG.

His comments are ignorant, and above all, bigoted. Right and wrong should still be followed, despite what your so-called faith says. Free thinkers, ie the non-religious, can see this plain as day.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Here's the fucking problem, RIGHT HERE. Religion CAN BE WRONG.
Well that depends on how you look at it. Religion can be wrong, maybe not. Maybe religious people are wrong while the religion itself is right. That is if you believe in the religion being discussed. If you don't and are a completely science minded individual, remember that like religion, science can be wrong...or maybe it is just the scientists who are wrong while science is right?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Well that depends on how you look at it. Religion can be wrong, maybe not. Maybe religious people are wrong while the religion itself is right. That is if you believe in the religion being discussed. If you don't and are a completely science minded individual, remember that like religion, science can be wrong...or maybe it is just the scientists who are wrong while science is right?
Science searches for answers with an open mind. Yes, sometimes they're wrong, but they dont just stop searching, stop learning.

Religion certainly does. Oh, the Earth is 2000 years old? Im'a ignore all this proof that says otherwise. Nanananan-not-listening. Etc.

Countless wars and countless deaths have been because of religion. A very select few of them, true, and not religion as a whole, but if it wasnt them it would have been another.

I find religion terrifying. To me, there is nothing scarier than a person who is both ignorant and driven. Rick Santorum is a lot like that. He's one step removed from being a stupid asshole to being a religious extremist, who can effectively outlaw things that dont fit his narrow-minded view of the world.

Someday, someone like him or someone worse than him, could be president, because his idiotic faith has brainwashed so many people. If that happens, you'll see an Adam-shaped hole in that door.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
When your beliefs are based on this "work of fiction" you tend to follow them. Some follow them to the letter, some interpret it differently and follow how they feel and some just pretend to follow them for a better public image. You can call it simple minded and you can call me a douche, that is fine but that still does not prove your point and prove Kurt wrong. The only thing simple minded here would be your rude reply, shows your lack of vocabulary and thought process. A valid counterpoint without insult would be a better way to get your point across.
Quick question. Do you agree with his statement?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
Quick question. Do you agree with his statement?
Well starting with gay marriage, I do agree with him on that. However I don't have an issue with civil unions.

Is the gay lifestyle destructive/detrimental? Naaaa. If the world were low on population I could in a sense agree that it was destructive but considering how many people on earth there are I am fine with two people being together and not contributing more people to an already overpopulated world. Yes I know lesbians can still have children through donors and gay men can pay someone to be a surrogate but most of the gay people I know don't have and do not want kids. My brother, his roommate and most of their crowd seem to be cat/dog people, not kids.

Would I have an issue if one of my kids were gay? I have 3 children and if one did approach me and say they were gay, I would talk to them about it. Now Kirk Cameron might send his kids to a "cure the gay" camp and I wouldn't do that but I would have a long talk with my child about it and if they were gay I would be fine with it. It might take some getting used to but I love my kids and will support them always.

Does this answer your question? If not I can expand if I need to.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Science searches for answers with an open mind. Yes, sometimes they're wrong, but they dont just stop searching, stop learning.

Religion certainly does. Oh, the Earth is 2000 years old? Im'a ignore all this proof that says otherwise. Nanananan-not-listening. Etc.
I am religious and I do not believe that. Some might but you can't put all of us in the same boat. I am very science minded and I am aware of the earth's timeline and the fact that it stretches into the billions, not thousands, of years. I love to think of scientific theories in a religious manner. I do not recall the Bible stating that God forbids us to use science to learn and progress so I embrace science, LOVE IT.

Quote:
Countless wars and countless deaths have been because of religion. A very select few of them, true, and not religion as a whole, but if it wasnt them it would have been another.
Religion has caused deaths, this is true. Science on the other hand has taken us from bows and arrows to nuclear bombs, chemical weapons, laser death rays, and Joan River's face. So who has contributed to MORE deaths?

Quote:
Someday, someone like him or someone worse than him, could be president, because his idiotic faith has brainwashed so many people. If that happens, you'll see an Adam-shaped hole in that door.
I have never, nor will I ever, vote on someone on their religious beliefs. I do not need Jim Baker running this country. I need someone who will get the job done. If they go to church on Sunday, that's fine by me. If they don't and want to put in some overtime and fix our deficit, again fine by me.

Just make sure to grab Alec Baldwin if you do hit the road. =)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
A washed up actor talking about his Christian beliefs...I'd actually be more puzzled if he went against the grain and supported gay marriage. It's just not surprising at all...any Christian in the entire world would say the same thing.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
You forgot straight men will fantasize more about the lesbian couple down the street...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
You forgot straight men will fantasize more about the lesbian couple down the street...

They do that already.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Please remember to keep the conversation about the topic - any insulting other Schmoes is NOT ALLOWED.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Following the interview, Cameron's comments ignited a firestorm with gay rights groups like GLAAD, which launched a campaign against the former teen idol, encouraging its members to sign a petition against him to let him know he's "no longer their idol."
Lol why him for an idol? haha I envision blindfolded gay people, infront them a list with the names of b-list tv stars, "i'll take....that one.....omg I got....ewwwww...let me try again......i'll taaaake......that one.....omg yay I got Kirk, he's my new idol, so luvs him, he's so dreamy. He's got a cute little ass. I wanna rub it down with baby oil and fuck that asss. Mmmmm then Kirk'll do me, and the we can tell everyone ". Then Kirk Cameron wakes up in a sweat and with a chubby. It was just a dream. Cuddling his bible for comfort, he makes a mental note to tell Piers Morgan how evil they are.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I'll bet anything good old Kirk Cameron has been taking a cock up the ass for ages. He's definitely the receiver type. His turd cutter has been taking a pounding ever since the Growing Pains days, believe you me!

I'm not religious at all. In fact I'm rather hostile toward religion (funny since I went to a catholic school for ten years). I don't impose my believes on anyone and I don't have a problem with religious people in general if they keep that shit to themselves. But....
tt's harmful, simple as that. Not only is it the cause of pretty much every major conflict in history, but it weakens and limits peoples world view and forces them to feel a certain way when they may not have otherwise if some ass backwards believe system wasn't drilled into their heads. I know people burdened by their believe. Burdened to feel guilty about things that are perfectly natural simply because it "goes against the bible." Burdened to repress natural, human desires and development because some preacher says its wrong to do "this" and "that". Burdened to believe they'll go to HELL and BURN forever if they don't thump that bible. It's conditioning. That's all it is. I wish people had the free will to challenge the crap that's drilled into their skulls, but a good majority of them don't, because they're afraid to and it's sad.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
And we're stating how we feel on the situation. What's the difference? Clearly you have more of a problem with one side.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
He's also the same man who believes that bananas are proof of God's existence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
And we're stating how we feel on the situation. What's the difference? Clearly you have more of a problem with one side.
Yea true, just funny how he does it politely and others respond with insults and vulgarity. I guess the same ones calling him simple minded did not develop their debate skills past "oh yea well your mom is fat and you are ugly".

As far as me having a problem with one side, yes I do. I can not stand hypocrisy and I will point it out every time I see it.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Well starting with gay marriage, I do agree with him on that. However I don't have an issue with civil unions.

Is the gay lifestyle destructive/detrimental? Naaaa. If the world were low on population I could in a sense agree that it was destructive but considering how many people on earth there are I am fine with two people being together and not contributing more people to an already overpopulated world. Yes I know lesbians can still have children through donors and gay men can pay someone to be a surrogate but most of the gay people I know don't have and do not want kids. My brother, his roommate and most of their crowd seem to be cat/dog people, not kids.

Would I have an issue if one of my kids were gay? I have 3 children and if one did approach me and say they were gay, I would talk to them about it. Now Kirk Cameron might send his kids to a "cure the gay" camp and I wouldn't do that but I would have a long talk with my child about it and if they were gay I would be fine with it. It might take some getting used to but I love my kids and will support them always.

Does this answer your question? If not I can expand if I need to.
No...that's ok. It answers my question just fine.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Kirk Cameron has responded to the criticisms.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/ki...icle-1.1034106

Quote:
Kirk Cameron defends anti-gay diatribe: I should be able to express myself without being accused of 'hate speech'
The actor says he spoke 'as honestly as I could'

By Ethan Sacks / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 5:16 PM

Actor Kirk Cameron has been on the defensive since his anti-gay remarks on CNN ignited an uproar.

Kirk Cameron, who has come under fire for calling homosexuality “unnatural,” says he’s the one who’s a victim of “hate speech.”

The 41-year-old “ Fireproof” actor has been on the defensive since igniting an uproar after saying same-sex marriage was “destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization” during an interview Friday with CNN’s Piers Morgan.

Though he became a break-out star on the 1980s sitcom “Growing Pains,” Cameron has since become an evangelical Christian who is vocal about his religious.

“I spoke as honestly as I could, but some people believe my responses were not loving toward those in the gay community,” he told ABC News in an emailed statement Tuesday. “That is not true. I can assuredly say that it’s my life’s mission to love all people.

“I should be able to express moral views on social issues, especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years — without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach ‘tolerance’ that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square.”

Cameron added that he has been encouraged by the support of gay friends.

A spokesperson for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation though was unimpressed by Cameron’s clarification.

“Saying that gay people are ‘detrimental to civilization’ might be ‘loving’ in Kirk Cameron’s mind, but it’s gay youth and victims of bullying who truly suffer from adults like Cameron who espouse these ideas,” said Herndon Graddick, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Programs and Communications.

“Cameron used his platform to attack gay Americans and is now attempting to play victim in an effort to sell his upcoming movie. That Cameron would risk the health and safety of young people in order to do so speaks for itself.

“So many Americans, popular celebrities and Christian leaders have stood up and said his views are out of touch. The fundamental dignity of gay people should no longer be a debate in this country.

“Obviously, Cameron has the right to recite his anti-gay talking points, just like fair-minded Americans have the right to tell him that his views are harmful and have no place in modern America.”

Cameron’s “Growing Pains” co-star Tracey Gold quickly distanced herself from her on-screen brother’s comments over the weekend.

“I am a strong supporter of the #LGBT Community, and I believe in equal rights for all. #NOH8 #LOVE," she tweeted.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Wisest post in the thread.

He's a lackwitted bigot, headed for oblivion in history, as most bigots are.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
The article said he has 6 kids, so that means he's probably had sex 6 times, except for the cock we're all sure he's getting on the side, probably from Rush Limbaugh.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
The article said he has 6 kids, so that means he's probably had sex 6 times, except for the cock we're all sure he's getting on the side, probably from Rush Limbaugh.
So being a devout Christian now makes you a closet gay?

Interesting thinking from some of the members here.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Kirk Cameron has responded to the criticisms.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/ki...icle-1.1034106
"bend my believes to their moral standards..." he says. Isn't that, like, what your agenda is Mr. Cameron? To tell people how they should live their lives?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
So being a devout Christian now makes you a closet gay?
If you're talking about devout Christian homosexuals who's devout Christian parents are against homosexuals, then yes.

That's actually the part of the article that bugged me the most. The part where he said he wouldn't be accepting of his kids if they came out.

I already knew he was a hardcore Christian, but for some reason, that statement still surprised me.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 03-06-2012 at 06:13 PM..