Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Blockbuster's Dying Last Gasp.... SUCKS!

So this is regarding one of the few Blockbuster retail chain stores that's left out here in the Phoenix area.... Obviously we all know by now they've all been closed pretty much throughout the country in favour of the Blockbuster rental kiosks to compete with other similar things like Red Box, etc.

Alright, so I was driving around the other day and saw a "Store closing - Everything must go sale" at one of the few Blockbuster stores I've seen remaining. For some odd reason, I see a "closing: this location only" sign - which made absolutely NO sense whatsoever to me.... Because wouldn't it be ALL fucking locations closing?

Anyway, that's beside the point. So I go in expecting to find many DVD's and Blu-Ray discs for sale at reasonable liquidation type pricing (maybe some DVD's priced from say $3-$7 or so) and maybe some Blu-Rays slightly a bit more right? Well they certainly DID have plenty of Blu's and DVD's for sale - but they were all for the same price (and it was absolutely NOT low whatsoever) of $12.99!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK BLOCKBUSTER?!?! I mean REALLY? Not only is that WAY too fucking high of a price for used fucking DVD's (Blu-Ray's I can understand to a point, but have found many below that price at Pawn stores and other places) - But it was all the way across the board. There was not ONE Blu-Ray or DVD to be found for sale in that store that was under $12.99. Un-fucking-believable!

And it wasn't even NEW movies either... Why the FUCK would I pay $12.99 for a 3 1/2 year old Dark Knight DVD when I can pay about $5 at my local record/dvd store? I mean you're going outta business and you're trying to sell off all of your fucking shit in your store "everything must go!" the signs said.... Well good luck on that fucking bullshit, cuz I laughed, shook my head and walked the fuck outta there. I mean honestly, who in the FUCK thought that would be a good fucking idea anyway?

Jesus fucking hell Blockbuster - I KNEW there was a reason I never liked you in the first place. Good fucking riddance, and may your shitty rental kiosks go under as well, ya fucking greedy cunts!

Last edited by jaw2929; 02-03-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Geez the dvds are quite cheap where you are Jaw2929
In Australia the sale price would be 20dollars for a good DVd which is a new release

But you are right if they are closing down they should have cheaper options l bet some older films would have been marked right down they useaully are but if you are going to go for a new release they would be marked up abit so the store can make a buck

In my home town Blockbuster is still going strong l never knew that these stores were closing down in America maybe soon Australia will lose there Blockbuster stores too
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy View Post
Wow. Usually, Blockbuster (and similar stores) will have a "3 for $20" deal or something. That's fucking insane.
I know, right? You'd THINK they'd be running something similar to like what Hollywood Video was doing when they went under.... They had like 3 and 4 for $20 and then a buncha single DVD's/Blu-Ray's for really cheap prices too.

Why the fuck this particular store wasn't doing anything like that, blows my fucking mind.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow, that IS bullshit. I went to a Blockbuster that wasnt even closing back in October and got 3 used fairly recent Blus for $20, and 5 used recent DVDs for $20....I wonder why they would charge so much when they obviously need to make as much profit as they can as quickly as possible...

Doesn't make any sense!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
The same thing happened here a couple years ago. Almost every Blockbuster was purged from Kansas City within a few months, and they did the same thing: DVDs started at 12.99, then lowered every week: 9.99, 7.99, 5.99, and eventually 3.99.

But what was really annoying was that people were snatching up everything while the prices were still high instead of waiting it out. By the time they got real cheap, everything was picked over, unless you wanted a copy of The Informant or My One and Only - they had a shit ton of those.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Superrr...Blockbuster blows balls over here anyways.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
The same thing happened here a couple years ago. Almost every Blockbuster was purged from Kansas City within a few months, and they did the same thing: DVDs started at 12.99, then lowered every week: 9.99, 7.99, 5.99, and eventually 3.99.

But what was really annoying was that people were snatching up everything while the prices were still high instead of waiting it out. By the time they got real cheap, everything was picked over, unless you wanted a copy of The Informant or My One and Only - they had a shit ton of those.
I noticed that the other day while I was there.... The handful of people I saw in there, were buying STACKS of these fucking DVD's at that price! I'm like "what the fuck!?" - I don't get it. These fuckers must NEVER shop anywhere but like high-priced retailers or online websites.... How in the fuck are you going to buy like 8 or 10 DVD's at $12.99/each and think you're getting an even REMOTELY good deal?

It was truly fucking mind-boggling!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, do you guys have any moviestops nearby? that's where I buy almost every movie I buy? They have thousands of movies Used and new. And the used ones are as low as 1.99 and usually never more than 14.99. Actually the vast majority of DVDs there are 4.99, 5.99, and 6.99.
Also they usually have a deal going on, buy 3 get 1 free. I've walked in there before, spent 40 bucks, and walked out with 8 good condition movies.
Seriously, I never have a problem with the discs. And the packaging is usually in good condition.
I got Short Cuts used on Criterion for 8 bucks I think. And it was perfect condition.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
In my home town Blockbuster is still going strong l never knew that these stores were closing down in America maybe soon Australia will lose there Blockbuster stores too
Eventually I am sure they will close, in favour of the rental kiosks instead of full-stocked retail stores.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
No wonder they're going out of fucking business. You can get new blurays at Best Buy for $9.99. I guess Blockbuster just wants to cater to the morons that don't know how to shop around and find a deal.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, my local Blockbuster closed back in October and the initial sales were crap. Eventually they went down, but as mentioned previously, the selection was pretty terrible. I still got around 20 DVDs/Blus for around $90, but probably would have bought more had their initial sales been decent.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I must thank you sir... this Rant has saved me a trip to my local Blockbuster!

The one closest to me (there are actually 3 near me) is closing, and they have all those signs, I was planning on going in, but now, I will just not waste my time.

I used to go to Blockbusters a lot to check their Blu Ray pre viewed section, but over the last year or so, I noticed their used Blu rays were getting really shitty in price and selection, and i just stopped going.

Amazon... quality (online) store with excellent customer service and just all around goodness! (As long as California doesn't pass the Tax thing, which would piss me off.. I already feel for people in NY who have to pay for Tax right now on Amazon!)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I must thank you sir... this Rant has saved me a trip to my local Blockbuster!

The one closest to me (there are actually 3 near me) is closing, and they have all those signs, I was planning on going in, but now, I will just not waste my time.

I used to go to Blockbusters a lot to check their Blu Ray pre viewed section, but over the last year or so, I noticed their used Blu rays were getting really shitty in price and selection, and i just stopped going.

Amazon... quality (online) store with excellent customer service and just all around goodness! (As long as California doesn't pass the Tax thing, which would piss me off.. I already feel for people in NY who have to pay for Tax right now on Amazon!)
Glad I could help someone not to get fucking raped at these fucking dying stores. You're welcome boss.

Oh and I couldn't agree MORE with you about Amazon - I get almost all of my DVD's & Blu-Ray's from them now. Best Buy still has some good deals on both formats too though.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
This reminds me of an FYE thats closing near me, I found a couple okay deals on dvds but the Blu Rays were awful. Everythings listed at like 30-50 dollars and it was 50% off. Laughable. So what your saying is I get 50% off and I'd still be paying more than the list price at Amazon.com? Forget about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0ZyoUn7Vk
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez the dvds are quite cheap where you are Jaw2929
In Australia the sale price would be 20dollars for a good DVd which is a new release

But you are right if they are closing down they should have cheaper options l bet some older films would have been marked right down they useaully are but if you are going to go for a new release they would be marked up abit so the store can make a buck

its still going strong in your home town? amazing.