Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I Saw That Movie Before You, So, I'm Better Than You Are

I Saw That Movie Before You, So, I'm Better Than You

Oh please. I know this may have been touched on before. But I just had to bring it to light again. It recently happened to me yet again. Someone I have known for too many years was telling me about a film (the hunter), which he saw before I did. When we were discussing the film, I informed him that I only just saw it. He then told me he saw it ages ago. As if to say that I suck because I saw it after him. It's the way he told me that pissed me off. Like he's better than me, and has one up, just because he saw the film weeks before me. So, in essence, my opinions don't count because I was late to the party. His voice was so full of belittling attitude towards me. Fuck him. Idiot.

Anyone else had this kinda thing before?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I have before. I remember posting on Facebook that I just saw (and enjoyed the hell out of) the original Shaft series, and a few moronic friends said "welcome to the late 1970s, LOL...what's next for you, Foxy Brown?"

It kinda ticked me off, but he was right: Foxy Brown WAS the next movie!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 PM
GoW, I noticed you chose your words carefully - making sure not to call said asshole a "friend".

Otherwise I would've had to ask "What kinda friend does that kinda shit?" LoL!

I've not had anything like this that I can think of right off hand. Something similar, a trainer/boss guy at my job said he's always managed to guess the twists/endings to popular twist ending movies like Mulholland Drive and Inception upon first viewing them (without them being spoiled). I don't believe it for a fucking second, but whatever.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't get the condescension from my buddies.. I just get, when I tell them that I just saw a popular title (Like Top Gun or Jaws) I get "How could you of all people not seen that movie until now"?! Simply because I am the dude that has seen everything and when it comes to movies, I am the dude that is called for any and all questions, so for me to not have seen major movies like that, it shocks them a little.

I also still get it for "Wizard of Oz" as I still have yet to see the entire movie! (Even after having spent $80 on the box set with all the swag a few years back!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
He is better than you. lol

I think he may have meant it as he saw it and does not remember it enough to talk about it. He is over it. You should let it go. You probably know the movie better than he does since it is top of mind for you. He might think lower of you and was not want to make it seem like you know more than he does, so he will not engage you when he is at a disadvantage.

The fact that it happened "again" and how you feel about it means to me that you are insecure. Lighten up, Francis.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I was ranting about this ages ago!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
It shits me more when people brag about seeing a movie before it has been released in Australian because they downloaded some crappy cam version.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
It shits me more when people brag about seeing a movie before it has been released in Australian because they downloaded some crappy cam version.
Yeah. I also get that too. Good call.

Also, do you ever get this? You want to see a movie on the big screen, and every film you want to see, you ask your buddy, and they say "No. I got it already".
Same sorta crap. I hate people who refuse to even go and see just one film at the movies.

Btw-good to see another Aussie on here.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
He is better than you.
Oh, I agree completely. He is better than me at being a jackass.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
GoW, I noticed you chose your words carefully - making sure not to call said asshole a "friend".
Haha. I also have ass-holes for friends as well. I'm sitting one one now
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Happens all the time.

I have always been here mate, we joined about the same time and I reckon I have read about 10,000 of your post, always been a fan, I'm just not a big contributor.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I have always been here mate, we joined about the same time and I reckon I have read about 10,000 of your post, always been a fan, I'm just not a big contributor.
Ah. I see. But it is great to see a fellow Aussie. You read that many of my posts?

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 AM
People who think they are better than you suck for whatever reason they think it. Jeers to those people. Boooooo!

What pisses me off more than anything is the idea of joshing someone about watching blaxploitation films, and Foxy Brown being mentioned before Super Fly. How the hell has it come that I believe this movie to be criminally under seen?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Well, I am better than you guys. Simple as that.

Have you seen Angel in Training? Air Bud Spikes Back? The Wizard of Speed and Time?

No?

THEN I AM YOUR GOD.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Err . . . I on the opposite side of that. I don't think I'm better per say but I usually end up thinking that the other person is ignorant.

One conversation that immediately comes to mind is when I was recently asked if I had heard of this totally amazing, intricately directed, eye-opening movie called Requiem for a Dream.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Fuck, I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood. And I just know that it's a movie I'll love. I have a bad habit of putting off movies for the longest time. That's why I don't do annual top ten lists anymore, my viewing habits are so sporadic and I miss a lot of the big mainstream movies, I'd always be going back and revising my list to reflect a movie that I finally saw four years after the fact. My friends don't give me crap though, because they still know that I'm the resident movie expert.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Fuck, I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood. And I just know that it's a movie I'll love. I have a bad habit of putting off movies for the longest time. That's why I don't do annual top ten lists anymore, my viewing habits are so sporadic and I miss a lot of the big mainstream movies, I'd always be going back and revising my list to reflect a movie that I finally saw four years after the fact. My friends don't give me crap though, because they still know that I'm the resident movie expert.

I've always thought it wasn't what you watched but what you got out of it. Friends of mine usually ask me what I thought about a movie or what I thought it meant. I don't think I've ever gotten into a "who's list is longer" contest with anyone.

To me, there's subsections of movie fans based around analysis and trivia. The first could tell you everything about a movie, including things many people didn't see or catch on to. The second group can tell you something about every movie, including ones you've never heard of.