Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Mad Men

Has anyone else seen a trailer for the new AMC tv series Mad men? Watched it here (http://media.amctv.com/originals/madmen) after a couple of billboard ads peaked my curiosity. Looks pretty cool, and I really love that actor Vincent Kartheiser last from Alpha Dog.
I have high hopes for this one!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
this show is top! yeah i just got round to it
Old 03-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Good drama
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Wow, this thread cam back out of nowhere. : ?

One of my old high school and college chums is on this (Rich Sommer, who plays the bespectacled Harry Crane). While the acting and writing are top notch and there have indeed been moments of brilliance here (plus I have a major crush on January Jones ), I still nonetheless have a few problems with it that keeps me merely admiring it instead of LOVING it:

- the narrowmindedness of that time that is often on display is sometimes hard to get past
- the overly dry tone the show has established itself with tends to keep one at a distance
- most of all, I have ZERO interest in the world of advertising; I buy things I want/need at the cheapest price...not via bribery with a calculatingly attention-grabbing commercial or ad. : P
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I've seen one episode, and I allready think It's great. will be sure to watch more.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm the only person I know who doesn't like this show. There isn't a single likeable or relatable character on the entire show. Granted, I only watched season 1, so maybe it gets better, but the first season didn't grab me at all. The acting is great, and it's cool how they tie advertising into some much bigger topics (like the Nixon/Kennedy race) but overall, I can't get into dramas if I don't like the characters. And the backstory of Draper at war was just corny. That's what he's running from? Really?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a bigger thread on this show.

I just started watching this and powered through the first season and am well into the second. I've put this show off for the longest time because it didn't seem like it was for me. A drama period piece about ad execs? And something so universally praised kinda turns me off. Not to mention the rather snooty, mustache twirling fanbase it has gathered over 4 seasons. A couple TV hound friends of mine hate this show calling it pretentious and in love with itself. They told me to stick with Breaking Bad.

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I watched the pilot and was instantly hooked. The show is very slow paced, without a doubt. But it has this sort of hypnotizing quality about it. It demands you pay attention. In all reality, many of plot lines can be fluffed off as soap opera nonsense, but the writing and performances ground it in such a realistic and stripped down fashion it overcomes its familiarity and becomes fascinating. Small actions often feel huge. The acting is superb and do I have to mention production detail? Don Draper is by far the most compelling lead character in TV today (right along good old Mr. White) and I can't wait to blast through the rest of the seasons in time to start watching the 5th which is rapidly approaching.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
When does the 5th start?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
When does the 5th start?
March 25th with a two hour premiere.

I think it's a great show with great acting and great writing but doesn't deserve all the awards it gets. Especially winning four emmy's in a row for Best Drama. I will agree with the hypnotic factor it has, as I feel I can't miss an episode but you could really start watching it whenever you want.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Why does it not deserve all the awards? It's clearly one of the top 5 drama's on television, and deserves any award that it wins. I also do not agree with the comment about being able to jump in at any point. This show has arcs like any other, and while it may seem alot more soap opera-ish than other drama's, I still think it would be unwise to start watching halfway through. It demands time and effort, and those willing to invest in it will be rewarded hansomely.

I love this show so so much. Not only is it well written, well acted and beautiful looking, it's set in an era that fascinates me. I wish that life had tood still in the 60's, it was much simpler back then. This show has huge appeal and those that choose to ignore it are only spiting themselves. I cannot wait for season 5, a two year wait is criminal but atleast they are trying to make up for it with that two hour premier.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-10-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Why does it not deserve all the awards? It's clearly one of the top 5 drama's on television, and deserves any award that it wins. I also do not agree with the comment about being able to jump in at any point. This show has arcs like any other, and while it may seem alot more soap opera-ish than other drama's, I still think it would be unwise to start watching halfway through. It demands time and effort, and those willing to invest in it will be rewarded hansomely.
I just feel it's not the best show on Television. Don't get me wrong, I love the show but I feel Breaking Bad or especially Sons of Anarchy deserve more recognition. They're more engaging and creative in the storyline department.

Shows like that I need to be home when a new episode is going to come on. I could miss an episode of Mad Men and be fine with it.

And what arcs do you speak of besides Draper's past? You could easily start watching from Season Four on and know everything that was going on, what happened with him and Betty, could tell the relationship that is between him and Peggy and her past relationship with Pete.

Believe me, I did.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Pretty sure there are numerous Mad Men threads, they're just hard to find once they fall off the first page since you can't really search for threat titles that only have 3-letter words.

Anyway, I've seen it all. It's a well-written show with a good cast, but it mostly bores me to tears. I'll probably check out the next season though just to remain current....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Mad Men and Jersey Shore are the two most important shows on television in regards to American pop culture. They are the two extremes on either side of the spectrum of the American mindset.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
I just feel it's not the best show on Television. Don't get me wrong, I love the show but I feel Breaking Bad or especially Sons of Anarchy deserve more recognition. They're more engaging and creative in the storyline department.

Shows like that I need to be home when a new episode is going to come on. I could miss an episode of Mad Men and be fine with it.

And what arcs do you speak of besides Draper's past? You could easily start watching from Season Four on and know everything that was going on, what happened with him and Betty, could tell the relationship that is between him and Peggy and her past relationship with Pete.

Believe me, I did.
Spoiler:
Drapers Past, Betty's mental health problems, Pete & Peggy's affair, The takeover of Sterling Cooper, the breakaway to form SCDP,The characters that were left behind because of that and many other important events that make up this show.

I can understand why you think Sons Of Anarchy deserves more praise, it definitely does. The show has suprised myself and alot of people by having compelling characters and fantastic storylines. When I first started watching the show, I expected for it to entertain me, but I didn't realise that it would have the ability to floor me. Along with Breaking Bad, Mad Men & Boardwalk Empire, it makes up my top four in television. It deserves a hell of alot more credit than it gets.

I don't understand how the Mad Men can bore people, the writing alone is enough to keep you in awe. Add to that the wonderful performances and the gorgeous cinematograph and set design and you have a moving work of art. Obviously people have different opinions on the show, but I never truly got the 'boring' criticism.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
Drapers Past, Betty's mental health problems, Pete & Peggy's affair, The takeover of Sterling Cooper, the breakaway to form SCDP,The characters that were left behind because of that and many other important events that make up this show.

I can understand why you think Sons Of Anarchy deserves more praise, it definitely does. The show has suprised myself and alot of people by having compelling characters and fantastic storylines. When I first started watching the show, I expected for it to entertain me, but I didn't realise that it would have the ability to floor me. Along with Breaking Bad, Mad Men & Boardwalk Empire, it makes up my top four in television. It deserves a hell of alot more credit than it gets.

I don't understand how the Mad Men can bore people, the writing alone is enough to keep you in awe. Add to that the wonderful performances and the gorgeous cinematograph and set design and you have a moving work of art. Obviously people have different opinions on the show, but I never truly got the 'boring' criticism.
I don't find the show "boring" at all but I do find some episodes to be slow paced. Some might argue those are one and the same but to me those are two different terms. If there isn't much going on in the episode, the humor can make up for it.

Honestly, the three best episodes of the series for me are

"The Suitcase"
"Shut the Door, Have a Seat"

And whichever one with the lawnmower scene.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I've just jumped on the bandwagon these past couple of weeks, flying through the three seasons. Overall, while not as good as Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones, I certainly think it's a very good piece of television. You get caught up in the characters in Sterling Cooper and by the second/third season, I was certainly hooked.

Bring on the new season! I need some quality television in my lives!

As for my three favorite episodes (so far), it would have to be the ones involving the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK Assassination, and 4th season episode The Good News.

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 02-12-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I think Mad Men and Jersey Shore are the two most important shows on television in regards to American pop culture. They are the two extremes on either side of the spectrum of the American mindset.
... and I'm sure most fans of one couldn't watch the other without wanting to kill themselves.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
... and I'm sure most fans of one couldn't watch the other without wanting to kill themselves.
Haha, that is true. I think Mad Men is a fantastic show. As a professional video editor, I really appreciate the work that the crew does on the Jersey Shore. They cut it in a very entertaining way that emphasizes the humor and absurdity of what's happening. My friends have also made a very effective drinking game out of that show.

Mad Men is also a good show to drink to. They are guzzling hard liquor for an entire episode. Watching them glug glug like that makes me want to drink as well. I consider Mad Men to be like an interactive enabler.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I like Mad Men (though, for reasons I stated in my first post in this thread, I don't LOVE it like most people who watch it), but from what little I've seen of Jersey Shore (my roommate watches it), I find it deplorable. The things they say and do don't make me laugh -- they make me cringe. It's truly depressing to know that there are REAL people like this out there in the world: extremely spoiled, extremely shallow, extremely self-absorbed, extremely materialistic, and, above all, extremely stupid. Even more depressing is that there are people out there who look up to these poor excuses for human beings. Back in the early '90s people talked about how Beavis and Butthead were "dumbing down" America; well, compared to these guys, B&B look like Rhodes scholars.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
If a TV show is dumbing down an entire generation of Americans then we have a society full of weak-ass parents. Beavis and Butthead was satire, The Jersey Shore is just a reality show. However it's easily the best crafted reality show on television right now. Its popularity and influence is undeniable. If you watch the first season the personalities on display by the cast are not unreasonable for a group of 20-somethings on a summer vacation.

If you take a group of 20-somethings and give them a beach house with unlimited booze, you're going to see some outrageous stuff from time-to-time. Keep in mind that the cast did have to work a part-time job during the first season and only a couple of them struggled with that responsibility.

What I liked about The Jersey Shore is that the cast actually bonded and became friends. Most reality shows take a group of people with different backgrounds and throw them together with the hope of drama and friction. The Jersey Shore cast actually got along for the most part and all of the fights in the first season were actually instigated by random people they meet, never a cast member.

I also respect the fact that the cast gets a lot of hate from people but they seem to take it in stride. Everything they do they do with enthusiasm and positivity. Mad Men is an excellent show. Jersey Shore is just junk food television, but it's the best junk food available today, and an important part of our pop culture. Why not embrace it?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I've watched Jersey Show, my brother watches the show so I've caught a few episodes. It's not the worst thing on television, and it's certainly one of the better reality shows out there (Not exactly a statement though). I do however think that it got really old after the first couple of seasons. I've seen episodes from the season in Italy and I can't stand it, the charm that it had being set in the scummy surroundings of Jersey Shore are no longer there.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:07 PM
New season starts tonight with a 2 hour premiere.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
New season starts tonight with a 2 hour premiere.
FINALLY! The best show is back on television. It has been WAY too long since Don Draper and Co. have graced our television screens.

This season is going to be brilliant!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
(Pardon the excessive gif use today)

I love catching up with shows when the new season is right around the corner. My DVR is set! (My brother doesn't get out of work until 10, so I figure i wait until he's done with work so we can enjoy the return of Sterling Cooper Pryce together.)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Draper's new wife is sexy as hell. Her in that position, cleaning...oh yes.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Draper's new wife is sexy as hell. Her in that position, cleaning...oh yes.
Yeah. Also, the whole party scene (especially her singing) was easily oene of the greatest things the show has ever done.

The two hour premiere put me in such a great mood when it was over. It was like seeing your best friends again after not seeing them for awhile.

Roger also had some great moments too.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
Yeah. Also, the whole party scene (especially her singing) was easily oene of the greatest things the show has ever done.

The two hour premiere put me in such a great mood when it was over. It was like seeing your best friends again after not seeing them for awhile.

Roger also had some great moments too.
The whole scene with Harry talking about what he would do with Megan had me in tears.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Roger reenacting Megan's dance and song had me in tears.

You know how invested in these characters you have been after watching the past four seasons when you see a brief scene involving Peggy and her journalist boyfriend casually twisting by themselves and you just crack up. Then, someone who hasn't watched the show at all asks you "what's so funny?", while watching this episode and show for the first time.

Just a solid and hilarious return for Mad Men! This and Game of Thrones returning next week is just too good.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
Roger reenacting Megan's dance and song had me in tears.

You know how invested in these characters you have been after watching the past four seasons when you see a brief scene involving Peggy and her journalist boyfriend casually twisting by themselves and you just crack up. Then, someone who hasn't watched the show at all asks you "what's so funny?", while watching this episode and show for the first time.

Just a solid and hilarious return for Mad Men! This and Game of Thrones returning next week is just too good.
Yeah. Had a smile from ear to ear all of yesterday after watching the premiere with my family.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
The infamous Megan singing to Don scene.

http://www.buzzsugar.com/Mad-Men-Zou...Bisou-22386516
Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Anybody know how much $50 was worth back then? Apparently it was enough for an office. And more than enough to be found in a wallet.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I finally got into/caught up on this show. I have a couple questions hopefully some people may know the answer to.

1) How many seasons are they planning to do? Is this going to be the last season?

2) Why did they drop all the great background characters (Sal, Kinsy, etc.) and replace them with, in my opinion, less interesting ones when they moved to SCDP?

3) Why was there a 17 month hiatus? I know there were contract negotiation problems but what were they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarich View Post
Anybody know how much $50 was worth back then? Apparently it was enough for an office. And more than enough to be found in a wallet.
Fifty bucks would be, with inflation, about $350 now. However, in the episode I thought he was actually given a thousand dollars for the office, which was the same as his after-tax monthly salary.

Last edited by Gordon; 03-28-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
2 hours and no Betty? For shame...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingbanky View Post
2 hours and no Betty? For shame...
Betty is the worst written bitch in television history.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I finally got into/caught up on this show. I have a couple questions hopefully some people may know the answer to.

1) How many seasons are they planning to do? Is this going to be the last season?

As far as I am aware, they are constracted to do another four, which would take them to season 8. I'm not sure if it's go one after that, but I'd be willing to guess no.

2) Why did they drop all the great background characters (Sal, Kinsy, etc.) and replace them with, in my opinion, less interesting ones when they moved to SCDP?

While I agree that the sudden disappearance of Sal and Kinsey was a bit crudely handled, it really was inevitable that both would be written out of the showe after what happened in S3. It would have been nice to see them in atleast a couple of episodes, to see how they handled it all. I don't think the new characters are less interesting, they just don't have as much screen time. I really did enjoy the scenes with the five boys (Campbell, Harry, Cosgrove, Kinsey & Sal) They were a good laugh.

3) Why was there a 17 month hiatus? I know there were contract negotiation problems but what were they?

Rumour is that they wanted more for production. I'm not sure why they need it, since the show has scaled down as it's went on. Smaller office, smaller cast and not as many appearances by once over regulars (Betty for example) so I really can't fathom where all the money is going. The production value hasn't improved as it was perfect to begin with.

Fifty bucks would be, with inflation, about $350 now. However, in the episode I thought he was actually given a thousand dollars for the office, which was the same as his after-tax monthly salary.

Yes, it was a $1000 that Roger gave Harry, not $50.

The first episode was very enjoyable, but I was suprised and disappointed that we never saw a glimpse of Betty. Gunslinger, can I ask why your feelings towards the character are that strong? Personally, I always felt Betty was one of the better written characters on the show, probably only second to Don. She was one of my favourite characters too, probably my favourite throughout season 2. I just cannot fathom why anybody would hate her so much.

The first 45 minutes was pretty much a recap, but the second half of the episode really got interesting. Especially the stuff with Lane, I think he'll be the shining star of this season. The song was fantastic, and Megan is absolutely stunning.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
She was one of my favourite characters too, probably my favourite throughout season 2. I just cannot fathom why anybody would hate her so much.
There's really nothing that salvages Betty. She's a little princess who expects everything in life to be just the way she wants it because she's at the center of attention for everything. She's whiney, insecure, selfish and demanding. I think she's complex enough to be a great character (as is every character on the show) but as far as personalities go, I can totally understand why someone would hate her. I can't really understand why someone would love her actually. And Don is much better off without her, IMO.

Anyway, LOVED the premier.

Bisous bisous bisous bizoooooo.

Loved it.

Though I can understand why so many people are turned off by this show and can't get into it.

As for me, I'm so happy it's back.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
A better question would be, of the 3 'Draper Disciples' who were initially left behind at the old Sterling Cooper, why'd they ultimately choose to bring back that douchebag Ken? : ?

I'm assuming Betty wasn't in the premiere because January was still pregnant at the time? I still don't get all the hate for her character. I think she's one of the more interesting people on the show. After being a mere put-upon Stepford wife the first 2 seasons, she finally started asserting herself and confronting Don on his womanizing ways and his secret past. Yes, she can be childish at times, but it just seems to me that she wants to break out of her former existence but doesn't really know how.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
There's really nothing that salvages Betty. She's a little princess who expects everything in life to be just the way she wants it because she's at the center of attention for everything. She's whiney, insecure, selfish and demanding. I think she's complex enough to be a great character (as is every character on the show) but as far as personalities go, I can totally understand why someone would hate her. I can't really understand why someone would love her actually. And Don is much better off without her, IMO.
This.

Plus I believe they've written her like what all housewives were like back then in that time which is what makes me hate her more.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
I think you're oversimplifying her character. Yes, she's had some moments of entitlement, but she can't be fully blamed for that; it's the way she was brought up. Again, she's no longer the put-upon trophy Stepford wife of the first 2 seasons. She finally started to grow a pair when she started discovering Don's womanizing ways, as well as his secret identity. Frankly, Don had it coming. He truly was a smug prick those first 3 seasons. Fortunately, his divorce seemed to have knocked him down a few pegs last season... though part of me still kind of wishes he'd stayed with Faye.

I still feel that deep down Betty definitely wants something more out of life and wants to break out of the stereotypical '50s/'60s housewife mold in which she finds herself, but she still doesn't really know how to do it.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Betty is the worst written bitch in television history.
I agree. I hate Betty. More Roger and Joan scenes.