Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I hate electronic music.

I don't even feel like I should have to say anymore to back up my stance - but that's not how we do things around here, now is it?

I do. I do. I do. I've been playing guitar for over a decade now and have been playing music professionally for going on three years - and I see the market of college kids and younger adults who used to come to my shows flocking to things like Deadmau5 and Skrillex. (Please don't turn this into a "DeadMau5 and Skrillex fucking blow dude - check out Shpongle for some REAL EDM)

These are just examples. I'm not angry because fan bases for actual instrument-playing musicians are dwindling - I'm angry because they're being lost to this bullshit. How can anyone be entertained by the sounds of a dude fucking around on a Macbook? There's no "skill" or "craftsmanship" involved... like when Django Rheindhardt or Charlie Parker used to wow audiences with their melodic lines and phrasing, and bring tears to people's eyes with one sustained note that you could actually see reaching up to the Heavens - no - no - no - this is drug-induced, dance-all-night-rave-shit. I've never known anyone who went to these shows sober. I've never heard anyone come back from Big Gigantic and say "Damn, dude... I had a couple of beers, hit a joint - and the show blew my mind!" ... It's usually a lot more like: "Holy fuck, dude - I found this killer MDMA and fucking rolled balls all night. My face is still somewhere in the theater brah!"

It's a horrible scene that's derived from horrible music. As someone who has literally worked my fingers to the calloused bone to learn a craft and create my own voice through something as beautiful as the guitar, it really irks me that these kids these days just wanna hear some super heavy bass, some distorted vocals, and computer-y bells and whistles. Nothing more.