Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Spike Lee Mistakenly Links Elderly Couple to Trayvon Martin Death

http://www.eonline.com/news/spike_le...mdb_topstories

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
^echo, I don't mean to alarm you, but I don't think that is Spike Lee.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
^echo, I don't mean to alarm you, but I don't think that is Spike Lee.
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
As usual he opens his big mouth without thinking about what he is saying or doing. Still a hood rat after all these years.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Hope Spike at least pays for the elderly couple's hotel bill while they look for another home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Still a hood rat





Spoiler:


((((kidding, of course)))


But seriously, I love Spike's movies, but this was a pretty disgraceful act on his part.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Lee needs to pay the old couple some sorta compensation for doing this. What an asshole. The only thing Spike's ever done correctly in the movie industry was 25th Hour. That's it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM
If Mr. I-Speak-On-Behalf-Of-All-Black-People said it, it MUST be true.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
The cops don't give out suspect's address to the public for a reason.
But I guess Spike figures he's just "doing the right thing" so...
Facepalm indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post


But seriously, I love Spike's movies, but this was a pretty disgraceful act on his part.
Exactly right. I think I heard the couples son who lives with them is named George Zimmerman as well. Its not a good situation in South Florida right now and I think it impedes the process of justice.

Let the law sort things out and let the jury decide who was in the wrong and after the verdict if its not the favored outcome then by all means protest but calling in hits on someone is going way too far.

Last edited by NuclearMisfit; 03-29-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Lee needs to pay the old couple some sorta compensation for doing this. What an asshole. The only thing Spike's ever done correctly in the movie industry was 25th Hour. That's it.
We don't live in a "someone should do something for someone else world" We live in a "I am going to sue you world"

Lee is going to get sued and pay up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Someone told me the family of Trayvon took out a copyright on a certain phrase and is selling merchandise in order to pay for lawyer fees. Not that I have a dog in this fight nor do I have an opinion about who was right and wrong I just think all the celebrities who are now protesting (Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton) should fit the bill for the family which would be just pocket change to someone who arrived in South Florida flying in First Class or private jet. I also think they should be forced to pay for whatever was stolen at the Walgreens that was looted.

Last edited by NuclearMisfit; 03-29-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
I also think they should be forced to pay for whatever was stolen at the Walgreens that was looted.
Saw that the other day on the news. Crazy stuff

I think its safe to say that this whole thing has spiraled out of control.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Saw that the other day on the news. Crazy stuff

I think its safe to say that this whole thing has spiraled out of control.
In my opinion everyone should be responsible for what they do and say regardless on if you are red, yellow, purple or green. This isn't really a race issue as the media is spinning it to me, its a HUMAN issue.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I can't even watch the coverage anymore. Somehow, nearly every corner of the debate has overstepped into the wrong. And so quickly. And from such good intentions. Which is probably the reason why they are getting coverage, since nobody wants to hear from the levelheaded people. The rallies are going well and the public conscience is fine, but...

When a bleeding heart liberal like me thinks the rhetoric of victimization is overblown, something has definitely

Quote:
spiraled out of control

Last edited by Shinigami; 03-29-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Spike Lee is a racist ass hole. And as much as I am a fan of Racism when it is comical or not malicious (Like when Stand Up comedians have racist humor or when I joke around with my black and white friends in a racial way).

Even if Lee got the correct address of the dude, what is he trying to do? He is basically telling his followers "Here is the guys address.. go murder him" what a fucking piece of shit!

I heard the elderly couple has hired a lawyer, and I hope they get a shit ton of money out of that ass hole.

The case is one that we will never know fully what happened. Zimmerman says the Martin kid attacked him, others say that didnt happen. The zimmerman dude claimed the Martin kid hit him in the face and beat his head against the ground... when I heard the story, that all sounded plausible, whether the kid is black or white, that can happen. And I have been torn on where my beliefs lay in this case, because it isn't out of the realm for a kid to be an ass hole, and it isnt out of the realm for a dude to shoot someone just because. But now that the video is out that shows that Zimmerman didn't have a bloodied nose nor any of the bruises he claimed, it is hard to side with him.

BUT, what happens is, when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and Spike Lee get involved with anything, I tend to hate it, due to my immense hatred of all 3 of these people.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post

BUT, what happens is, when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and Spike Lee get involved with anything, I tend to hate it, due to my immense hatred of all 3 of these people.
I've never seen a situation they've been involved in that didn't spiral out of control. There's a reason why they are known by many as "The Poverty Pimps" It would be interesting to see how much money they are making on this and how much they really give back to the community. The Elderly couple got the same lawyer that Zanny the Nanny got in the Casey Anthony case.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
You know, if it wasn't for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, nobody would have known about this story and Trayvon might have never gotten justice.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
You know, if it wasn't for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, nobody would have known about this story and Trayvon might have never gotten justice.
This story was on the news way before Jackson & Sharpton were down in Florida. It is generally only after there are news cameras present that Jackson & Sharpton become involved in anything!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
This story was on the news way before Jackson & Sharpton were down in Florida. It is generally only after there are news cameras present that Jackson & Sharpton become involved in anything!
It was about three weeks after the incident that the media started covering the story. When my station started running the story I had already seen posts about it on Facebook and clips of Sharpton and Jackson trying to bring attention to it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
You know, if it wasn't for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, nobody would have known about this story and Trayvon might have never gotten justice.
He still might not get justice. The racism of the entire situation is terrible, the media is portraying Zimmerman as a white guy when his dad said he comes from a multiracial background which "multiracial" should have been the word used or nothing at all. I'm a white guy and I'm outraged that an unarmed teen was shot. I just see racism as a group of people slapping at each other "Ewwwwie I don't like you cause your're (white, brown, yellow)" unless we unite as human beings we are getting no where.

The least thing I hope comes out of this is they abolish all these dumb Home Owner Association rules, Zimmerman didn't need a gun to do his job and really the only things he needed was his truck and a cell phone to call 911 if something serious went down.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
What do Spike Lee and Justin Bieber have in common? (Besides the similarity in height.)

The Bieb' is being sued by a couple when he jokingly gave out a telephone number on Twitter - leaving out the last digit - along with the message "Call me now". It turned out his followers discovered the real telephone and began calling the couple all day and night.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
It was about three weeks after the incident that the media started covering the story. When my station started running the story I had already seen posts about it on Facebook and clips of Sharpton and Jackson trying to bring attention to it.
This story had a news presence far before when the National Media made it an every day, several hours a day Breaking News style subject. I had heard about long before this past week when the story blew up, but it wasn't front page news. Did Jackson & Sharpton make it front page news? Maybe, i don't know, they are people who can take 1 news camera and turn it into 7.

Jackson & Sharpton are the equivalent of the boy who cried wolf... when they attack every situation as if it was the 1960's race riots, over time their involvement makes jokes out of serious situations.

My problem with cases like these is that, before any real facts come out, it is slapped as a Race thing. If something happens to a black person, right away it is race. The supporters in these cases, generally don't even entertain the notion that perhaps, the black "Victim" was doing something that actually led to the eventual outcome. When this case was first reported, there was no reason to not believe what Zimmerman had said, sure there is always a shadow of a doubt, but the facts that were available showed that it was at least 50/50 possible that this Martin kid came over to Zimmerman with an attitude and started throwing punches. It was also possible that Zimmerman simply shot this kid and thought he could get away with it. My problem is when the media and people simply focus on the one side because that is a better story, 2012 and black people are still persecuted.. get the lights, get the cameras. Until you know all the facts, dont make a circus. Then as more facts have come out over the past week, we see that this Martin kid was recently suspended from school for having a baggy of weed (or weed residue) and he wasn't exactly an angel. And of course now, we have the most damning evidence, which is the video tape footage of the Zimmerman post shooting without any of the injuries he said he sustained. (Of course, that could be because he had cleaned up prior to that tape being rolled.. i'm not sure).

Race gets thrown around so much in todays world... as soon as something happens that is against a black person it is automatically 100% race, regardless of facts. And yes, sometimes it is 100% race related.. but there are times when it isn't, and as soon as you throw Race into an argument, it taints any hope of fact that may soon come!

If Martin was a little white kid, and the shooter were black, and the circumstances were the exact same... Sharpton & Jackson would still be down in Florida.. but whose side would they be fighting for??
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
If Martin was a little white kid, and the shooter were black, and the circumstances were the exact same...
...the shooter would be on death row right now.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
well a couple of black kids lit a 13 year old white kid on fire and told him he got wht he deserved...don't recall those kids being arrested
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Jackson & Sharpton are the equivalent of the boy who cried wolf... when they attack every situation as if it was the 1960's race riots, over time their involvement makes jokes out of serious situations.
Racism is still a huge problem. I live 45 minutes away from where Trayvon was shot, and I drive past where he was killed at least once a week i'm in that area so much.
I know, the police around here are racist fucks. Last night I saw a black guy get stopped and searched for no reason by the police. I watched the police search him just to make sure they didn't beat the shit out of him for being black. Fortunately, they let him go. They didn't find shit. They clearly had no probable cause other than "he's black, he's walking around, lets search him."

Jackson and Sharpton aren't cool, but at least they're trying to end this racism that so many people are still so very blind to.

Quote:
When this case was first reported, there was no reason to not believe what Zimmerman had said, sure there is always a shadow of a doubt, but the facts that were available showed that it was at least 50/50 possible that this Martin kid came over to Zimmerman with an attitude and started throwing punches.
There were a dozen witnesses who saw or heard the shooting. The police ignored all of them. The police asked selective questions. Got selective answers and released a murderer on a self defense charge.
Also, its no coincidence that the same person in charge of the Trayvon Martin investigation was in charge of an investigation a couple years back where a black teen was shot in the BACK by cops. The cops claimed self defense and won the case. How can you claim shooting someone in the back is self defense?
And everyone knows Martin wasn't the instigator. Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend. Zimmerman was on the phone with the police. The police told Zimmerman not to follow Martin, and that officers were on the way. Zimmerman pursued. Which means irrefutably that Zimmerman is in FACT the instigator.

Quote:
Then as more facts have come out over the past week, we see that this Martin kid was recently suspended from school for having a baggy of weed (or weed residue) and he wasn't exactly an angel. And of course now, we have the most damning evidence, which is the video tape footage of the Zimmerman post shooting without any of the injuries he said he sustained. (Of course, that could be because he had cleaned up prior to that tape being rolled.. i'm not sure).
Just about everybody I know does, or has at some point smoked weed. Its not a big deal. Killing someone on the other hand... Thats kind of a problem.

Quote:
Race gets thrown around so much in todays world... as soon as something happens that is against a black person it is automatically 100% race, regardless of facts. And yes, sometimes it is 100% race related.. but there are times when it isn't, and as soon as you throw Race into an argument, it taints any hope of fact that may soon come!
It almost always is race related. Racism and imbalance of social class from oppressive white racism has led to the social conditions that cause such high crime rates among black youth.

Quote:
If Martin was a little white kid, and the shooter were black, and the circumstances were the exact same... Sharpton & Jackson would still be down in Florida.. but whose side would they be fighting for??
As Squid Vicious already said, I can't say it any better. Trayvon would be locked up, and most likely on his way to death row.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post


It almost always is race related. Racism and imbalance of social class from oppressive white racism has led to the social conditions that cause such high crime rates among black youth.

I honestly can't really refute any point you made! Well played sir.. BUT at the risk of replying to the above quoted portion by misunderstanding what you mean, Could you just clarify it a little?! Thank you sir!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Spike Lee is a racist ass hole. And as much as I am a fan of Racism when it is comical or not malicious (Like when Stand Up comedians have racist humor or when I joke around with my black and white friends in a racial way).

Even if Lee got the correct address of the dude, what is he trying to do? He is basically telling his followers "Here is the guys address.. go murder him" what a fucking piece of shit!

I heard the elderly couple has hired a lawyer, and I hope they get a shit ton of money out of that ass hole.

The case is one that we will never know fully what happened. Zimmerman says the Martin kid attacked him, others say that didnt happen. The zimmerman dude claimed the Martin kid hit him in the face and beat his head against the ground... when I heard the story, that all sounded plausible, whether the kid is black or white, that can happen. And I have been torn on where my beliefs lay in this case, because it isn't out of the realm for a kid to be an ass hole, and it isnt out of the realm for a dude to shoot someone just because. But now that the video is out that shows that Zimmerman didn't have a bloodied nose nor any of the bruises he claimed, it is hard to side with him.

BUT, what happens is, when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and Spike Lee get involved with anything, I tend to hate it, due to my immense hatred of all 3 of these people.

It's plausible that Martin could have attacked him, but witnesses said differently. The video of Zimmerman arriving at the police precinct didn't show him injured.

I don't understand what the bag with weed residue has to do with anything. If it's OK to kill people for not being innocent little angels, then we should all be dead.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I honestly can't really refute any point you made! Well played sir.. BUT at the risk of replying to the above quoted portion by misunderstanding what you mean, Could you just clarify it a little?! Thank you sir!
That's the trickiest point to clarify lol. Its a very long history. Ill try and shorten it up a bit and hit just the key points though.

African American gangs were initially formed defensively. Young African American boys were jumped and beaten severely by White gangs.
The solution: African American boys started traveling home from school in large groups. These groups later became gangs. The black gangs and white gangs would get into brawls.

The police force was allowed to arrest African Americans for as little as driving through a 'white only' neighborhood.

There were also White supremacy groups. Most notably, the KKK would sometimes travel into black neighborhoods and murder innocent blacks. The KKK were responsible for more crimes than many realize.
One of their most heinous crimes was bombing a church in the early 60's which killed 4 little girls.

The FBI, under orders from Hoover, paid off Klan members to bomb black civil rights groups. Hoover perceived Black Civil Rights as a threat to the internal security of the country.

MLK, Malcolm X, and Fred Hampton were all assassinated. Fred Hampton was assassinated by the police and the FBI. He was killed unarmed in his sleep.

Also, an interesting thing to note. The two main political proponents of black civil rights were John F Kennedy and Bobby Kennedy. Which were also both assassinated in the same decade as MLK and Malcolm X.

I'm not saying the Kennedys were necessarily killed because of Black Civil rights, but it's interesting nonetheless.

These assassinations were a sizable blow to the Black Civil Rights movement. The coup de grace was the prominent rise of Heroine in the community.

With few key leaders to lead the movement, and the rise of heroine addiction skyrocketing, the community was in shambles.

Suddenly theres no hope, no money, no leaders. Just a huge market for Heroine.

Much of the youth turned to dealing heroine. It was one of the only ways to make a decent amount of money. It was either deal drugs and make good money, or work hard all day in a factory and make nothing(which was and still is extremely common).

Suddenly, the neighborhood drug dealer is the role model. Because he had the nice cars, the nice houses, the nice clothes, etc..
Your parents worked hard and made nothing. Drug dealers made everything.

Many young boys looked up to these initial drug dealers, and grew up to become dealers themselves.

This is a link to the intro of one of my favorite hip hop albums. It contains an excerpt from one of Omali Yeshitela's speeches. The speech is an interesting analogy about why so many youths become drug dealers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3og0JaKAbZw


If you're interested, there are a few interesting documentaries that discuss a lot of this at great length.

Theres

'The Black Power Mixtape' which is excellent. It's a 2011 documentary. Im pretty sure it's on Netflix instant streaming.

Theres also

'Crips and Bloods: Made in America' which is not as good but still has a lot of fascinating and disturbing information about the initial formation of African American gangs in Los Angeles during the 1940's.
It too, is probably on instant streaming.

Also, a lot of this info can be found online. Like I said earlier, it's a very long history, and theres so much backstory.

If theres any portion that you want me to go more in depth, I can. Just let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 AM
On a similiar topic, look at Bastards of the Party as well!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Now Roseanne's in trouble...she retweeted it...oh dear.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Now Roseanne's in trouble...she retweeted it...oh dear.
From what I've read, Roseanne treated the real address of Zimmerman's parents. I believe that Zimmerman has to be held responsible for what happened but inciting to send potential lynch mobs to the house, whether its his or his parents, isn't the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 AM
Lee paid off the couple. All is right in Twitter Land.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Race gets thrown around so much in todays world... as soon as something happens that is against a black person it is automatically 100% race, regardless of facts. And yes, sometimes it is 100% race related.. but there are times when it isn't, and as soon as you throw Race into an argument, it taints any hope of fact that may soon come!

That's probably because every time a black person commits a crime, their race gets brought up.

If a majority of people got robbed by Bootsy Collins, and he was in his full stage getup, the first thing they'd describe about him is that he was black.



Cop: "Ma'am, can you describe the man who played the funky bass on your lawn in the middle of the night?"

White Lady: "Well, it was dark so I can't be sure, but he looked black."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm reading here that he just "retweeted" the address, so shouldn't the first person to post the address who got it wrong in the first place - get the blame?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I'm reading here that he just "retweeted" the address, so shouldn't the first person to post the address who got it wrong in the first place - get the blame?
I look at it like this:

You are riding a moped and I ask you for directions. You give me directions. The directions you gave me caused me to turn my vehicle onto a sidewalk and run down a dozen people. You, being on a moped, just bumped into someone and ruined their day.

Spike Lee is driving a Hummer.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 AM
anytime anyone commits a crime, their race is mentioned! I mean, to say that is something solely to black people is a fabrication. When someone is robbed, they ask what he looked like and when you build a house, you start with a foundation, what race the person is, is that foundation! White Male, Mid 20's, Black hair, Pierced nose!

As for Lee and Roseanne... they are imbeciles... even if this dude Zimmerman is a cold blooded killer (whether it was cuz the kid was black or just cuz he wanted to kill someone) for these two dumbasses to do that is pathetic... what was the endgame? For people to go there and kill the dude? Or if they tweeted the parents house, even worse, the parents had nothing to do with this. These 2 need to stick to their day jobs and leave the rest out, because when idiot celebrities think they are doing good, they are just being idiots! (not like someone like Matt Damon or CLooney or what not who fight for true injustices in the correct fashion)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I look at it like this:

You are riding a moped and I ask you for directions. You give me directions. The directions you gave me caused me to turn my vehicle onto a sidewalk and run down a dozen people. You, being on a moped, just bumped into someone and ruined their day.

Spike Lee is driving a Hummer.
That's true, I agree with that. The good thing is that the consequences weren't too great. Just saying that he wasn't the only one to retweet as well and he only got this much blame for being more known and having more followers on twitter, while whoever posted the address seems to be getting a pass. At least for now.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
...the shooter would be on death row right now.
That's exactly right.

But don't forget the really important point here: Spike Lee sux!!! lulz!!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Dear Angry Little Man

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Lee's actions amplify the irony of him directing Oldboy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump