Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Tucker & Dale vs evil-7/10
Alien -9/10
Take shelter-7/10
The punisher (2004)-5/10
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Sahara (2005)

So I've read this is THE most expensive flop in Hollywood history haha was a bit of a surprise to me I must say but I can see why really. The whole franchise prospects based on the Dirk Pitt novels has collapsed after this first film which isn't a big deal really seeing as the character is a combination of Indy and Bond and not really required.

The film is really a poor man's Indiana Jones, a poor man's Indiana Jones in the present day basically, yet somehow the film is almost two hours long and really quite dull. The whole film consists of the heroes running around African desert whilst being shot at by various people really, there is a silly plot about trying to find a buried American civil war ironclad warship and also a plot about stopping most of the African water supply getting poisoned.

Personally I feel like they have gotten the era's mixed up, McConaughey looks and acts like a kind of dashing cinematic silver screen legend of the 30's-40's yet he is in the present day and accompanied by the rather whiny and annoying Zahn. Both the main leads are always clad in desert colour outfits which all seems to have stemmed from 'Indy', there is the all too common vintage car racing through the desert whilst been shot at sequence, Cruz is completely pointless throughout, it tries to be funny but fails and the ending is a rip roaring anti-climax.

To be frank I think this failed because its set in the present day and we already have a character for that and his name is James Bond. These type of adventures seem to work better when period set, 'The Mummy' films and 'The Phantom' are good examples of this type of boys own wilderness set adventures that work in another era.

I still don't get how the CSS Texas was shown at the start of the film in Virgina, US and ends up in the Niger River, Africa, anyone?? plus on a final note..'Dirk Pitt' has to be one of the dumbest attempts at a 'cool' heroic name I've come across for some time hehe.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

AKA The Pirates! Band of Misfits. Pixar have serious competition for the next animated Oscar methinks. I loved it; it's laugh out loud funny several times and the animation looks amazing. It's better than Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I'd need to see it again but at the moment I'd be tempted to give it 10/10.

The Hunger Games

Meh. I loved Winters Bone, so was willing to give this a shot, it has some neat moments but it's overblown and the main problem for me, that this is a toned down hollywood remake of Battle Royale- which is one of my favourite films- is inescapable. I really do like Jennifer Lawrence though.

5/10
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Elite Squad

A riveting piece of cinema about the uncontrollable crime and drug trafficking of Rio's slums, corruption of the police and the elite squad that relentlessly cleans up this dirt off the streets. Before you can sigh and groan about how it's "another one of these" you only need to know that my inclusion of riveting wasn't used hastily and without thought. It's pretty damn good, mostly because of the devices that are used to tell this story, add to that the visual aesthetic of City of God and the vibrant colors of Man on Fire and this is the result. What's great is how the film tells the story of two policemen whose idealism takes quite a transformation over the course of the film courtesy of Wagner Moura who's the heart and the narrator of the film and who brings his "A" game along with a bit of veracity. I certainly wouldn't want to be crossing paths with this cat. No sir.

8/10
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Chapter 27
5/10

The Town
9/10
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Elite Squad

8/10
I love Elite Squad. The sequel is really good as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Misfits: Series 2

The anti-Heroes return with another series of wacky misadventures, disparate regional accents, and surprisingly potent drama when it decides to put away the immature façade for a while. This is what I like to see out of a sophomore season, one that improves on its preceding lineage in bold new ways. For starters, we get a pretty juicy reveal of who the mystery savior is who’d been helping the gang from the shadows from the last few episodes of S1, which becomes one of the more emotional storylines of the show thus far. Two characters in particular that I hadn’t gotten as attached to as I’d have liked develop in their arcs in ways I didn't expect and welcomed. Along with those interesting new nuggets, the show also starts to expand a bit in the concept of “supervillains” and their origin stories, such as they are. Episode 6 turns into one of the more exciting and nuttier episodes of the series with a baddie born from the most unlikeliest of places, and it’s an example of how the show keeps itself unconventional. As does the finale that basically hits a giant reset button on everything we understood the show to be in the beginning. I look forward to S3, but apprehensively – without a certain annoying yet loveable twat to provide his foul-mouthed running commentary next time around, will it leave a gaping void where hilarity once resided? I certainly hope not.

-> 8/10
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I love Elite Squad. The sequel is really good as well.
I'm seeing it soon too, I heard it's far superior, which only means great things.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Executive Decision (1996)

One of the first action films I remember seeing where one of the big name leading heroes bites the dust very early on in the film, this was actually quite surprising at the time as you would have never suspected Seagal to die...at least not so early! As it stands this one 'action' in the film gives it real bite above so many others as you really are not so sure what will happen next and who will get blown away.

Obviously Russell won't kick the bucket, that you can put money on but the tension in this film is still feverish as you watch, even after all this time it still holds its own and packs a good solid punch. The plot revolving around Muslim terrorists taking over a passenger airliner with the aim of using it as a weapon of destruction is quite close to the bone these days after all the horrific things that have happened since this film was made, this does make you think and actually makes the film quite haunting and more realistic.

As it goes the film is pretty darn realistic anyway, the special forces unit all proceed in a believeable way, at no point is this film a shoot em up, its actually pretty tight and well thought out. The inner plane sets, aerial shots and bomb sequences all work really well and look good, looking at this film from the posters you would think its a mindless action fest but that is far from the truth, it really is a very good well made thriller.

Add to this a top notch cast with quite a few big names including Platt and Leguizamo in very likeable roles, Berry on ultra cute form and top British thesp David Suchet showing us that he's actually a really good movie actor as well as TV drama star and gives Rickman a run for his money as top well spoken villain.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Eat The Sun - 7/10
No Rest For The Wicked - 6/10
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Prison Break (Season 3)

Honestly, it makes me sad to even think of rating it logically, because in essence this entire series is so convoluted and ridiculous that it would be at the bottom of the cinematic food chain. However, that same ridiculousness is what makes this series so entertaining to watch. When I think about it, it's funnier than some of the recent comedies. If S2 was convoluted, then at least with the writer's protests in 07 which cut S3 in half made it a bit less convoluted but not any less insane as it already is.

7/10
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM

The Mummy(1932)-8/10
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 AM

3/10 not worth your time.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
2010 - Not as good as the original but still an excellent sci-fi film. Roy Scheider was especially good. 8/10

L'Atalante - A very simple and beautifully told story about the difficulties faced by two newlyweds. The first mate of the barge was funny and was probably the best character in the film. 8/10
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM

9/10
Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM

The Mummy's Hand(1940)-7/10
Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Dark Journey with Vivien Leigh - A WWI spy film in which two spies on opposing sides fall in love. It was decent and Leigh did a nice job but it wasn't anything special. 6/10

One Million Years B.C. - The film is historically inaccurate and there is very little dialogue but the film had two things going for it. One is the impressive stop-motion animation. The other is one of the greatest things I have ever seen - Raquel Welch in a fur bikini. That made the movie a LOT more fun. 8/10
Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
RV (2006)

Without my little review here sounding too cliched this film could be and pretty much is a sequel to the classic Chevy Chase vehicles 'National Lampoon's'.

Its pretty much a by the numbers light hearted comedy set in the wilderness as Robin Williams tries to give his family a fun packed vacation and spent more time with them. Despite being very very predictable and completely unoriginal the film is actually quite amusing and very watchable.

Yes you know what will happen with every setup and yes Williams is being his own Clarke Griswold but damn it its fun. Williams is a likeable fun guy and the family casting isn't too bad either, Hutcherson as a body building obsessed wannabe 'homie' is actually quite funny but Jeff Daniels as the slightly religious, thick tashed rodeo type does grate, his character and family I guess are the cousin Eddie n co of the plot.

Sonnenfeld is a good director of family films and he does a fine job here it has to be said even if the film is nothing new.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
The Hunger Games (7/10)
Take Shelter (10/10) - I love this film.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Pre-release
The Cabin in the Woods
Chimpanzee (2012)
Sound of My Voice (2011)

Post-release
I'll Never Die Alone C+

This'll probably be my last post here at JoBlo. The site just isn't working out for me the way I'd hoped. So long, everybody.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
on bluray

9/10
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Severed Ties - 6/10
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Carnage

Excellent performances from four distinguished actors don’t disguise theatrical roots that can be distracting when the dramatic outbursts and comedic hijinks spill over with every new glass of exquisite 18 year old single malt. The dialogue is quick and witty and the film moves briskly, but I couldn’t help but note the contrived way Polanski kept his actors together in the same room, via a convenient phone call or a last-minute insult that brought Waltz and Winslet back into an apartment their characters clearly would have stormed out of by the quarter-way mark. Of course, that’s if it was a cinematic story that allowed for flexibility, but it isn’t, so those false notes stick out like sore thumbs. And if you followed any of that rambling, props to you for making it this far. That quibble aside, was it entertaining, most importantly? Hell yeah, though Waltz is pretty much the only one in the cast who seems comfortable as a movie character when the other three act like they’re on a stage, and dare I say try a little too hard to force the issue during their choicer moments to shine. They’re not bad performances – as I said, excellent by any standard – but they’re definitely affected. Though all in all, it’s a fun departure from Polanski’s usual thriller bailiwick.

-> 7/10
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
I, Robot (2004)

So Hollywood took a classic collection of sci-fi literature and turned it into an action packed bullet time fest for Will Smith, hmmmmm. I think this film had some incredible promise being based on Asimov's short stories and could of been a classic sci-fi offering in the realms of '2001' or 'Blade Runner' but unfortunately Hollywood decided to stick Smith in the fold as the main character just to get bums on seats in the cinemas.

The casting of Smith was really a huge let down for me, a terrible and obvious piece of soulless money spinning simply to make this film into something that would appeal to the younger mass audience. Within the first five minutes of the opening sequence you can see how bad this decision was, we see Smith acting overly masculine as he swaggers about like the film revolves solely around him, his silly looking bobble hat thing which is tipped to the side trying to be cool and trendy, ear studs and a ridiculous outfit combination of black leather pants and a quarter length black leather coat. I mean really, is this a film based on some classic science fiction short stories or just trying to make Will Smith look as slick as possible with a gun, shades and motorbike. Must also point out this film has a small role for the annoying Shia LaBeouf -_-

The film does have some very good aspects in terms of effects that can't be denied, sure we have seen it all before and there isn't anything really outstanding on offer in the sense of 'things looking flashy and futuristic' but it all looks very clean smooth and realistic. The addition of the super sleek Audi concept car looked very nice I must admit but did we really need such a blatant advert in the film? the sequences just looked like car adverts, Audi paid for it yes, fine, but was it needed?
I did also like the robot designs, the older 'protector' robots looked a bit like something from the 'Star Wars' prequels but the newer 'NS-5' robots were well crafted and do have a realistic believeable look to them.

The problems I see with this film, it attempts to compete with classic 'epic' sci-fi films, it tries to be bold and boast a strong plot by constantly referring to the Asimov laws of robotics and using character names from the books as if this will make the film better, serious and closer to the much superior source material. Most of the nine stories by Asimov weren't really action based but simply more about robotic behaviour and mainly how the laws are used to solve problems, simply errors or malfunctions that the robots encounter in their daily routines. This film doesn't follow any of the nine stories I might add, its actually based on another separate story with Asimov's I, Robot notions slapped on top after the rights to the stories were acquired.

The only aspect which connects to one of Asimov's stories ('Robbie') is the way Smiths character dislikes robots, the way they replace human jobs and seem to be taking over the world. Smith of course being a black man also gives the chance to turn the tables on the prejudice hot potato with his character basically being completely against robots and their 'kind', he sees them as trouble, not to be trusted, he wants the robots to be trouble so maybe people will all turn against them. A basic angle yes but reasonably intriguing, a more suitable actor like Washington would have been the better choice to carry this across in my opinion.

This film is big, flashy with destruction, car chases, bionic arms, guns, over the top fights, an overly stupid ending which does spoil plus allot of over used slow-mo action, much focusing on the robots which looks nice but what's the point of bullet time sequences on fully cgi characters?. Whether or not Asimov would have liked this kind of approach I don't know but I'm sure a slightly more subdued slow intelligent piece of work was more in mind.
You do have classic spy novels that have been made into films/TV drama's that aren't filled with all this needless in your face action, at the end of the day this is yet again just another glossy Hollywood action/thriller film which has been thinly veiled with an attempt of serious sci-fi. Yes its a reasonable sci-fi film and better than most other offerings but if you want a film more closely based on an Asimov story then I suggest you watch 'Bicentennial Man'.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within

This film solidifies the fact that RoboCop remake is in great fuckin' hands. It really works as a standalone film too. The first film works like a history lesson of BOPE becoming an actual force, while this really delves deep into the enemy within the system that runs things in Rio. From what I understand it's a very well researched film, seeing as how it's based on a history book written by one of Brazil's sociologists. The film really tackles just how corrupt the 'system' is in a 'democratic' nation and what separates this film from others that talk about the same issues is that there's people who relentlessly and literally fight to get rid of it all. No bureaucracy, or elections - but straight up force. It's more mature than the first film, and Nascimento, I personally would add to that list of "memorable film characters". Badass sonofabitch

9/10
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM

4/10
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Wrath of the Titans-7/10
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM

The Mummy's Tomb(1942)-6/10
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Jaws - ABC Cut - 10/10
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
A Lonely Place To Die 7/10
The Adversary 7/10
Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 PM
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? - 9/10

It's been several years since I sat down and watched this whole thing. What a genius flick. Even though I know most of it by heart, it's still a delight watching all the quirky antics unfold with some obvious jokes, and others just plain subtle but all working 99% of the time.

THE DESCENDANTS - 6 /10

I don't really get the buzz of this one. It's also scary seeing how I know almost every single location in Oahu while watching it. I was freakin' out a bit some times. (I lived there for over a decade)
I wasn't too enthralled by what was going on and only felt a connection to Clooney's performance. Everyone else was kind of just "there". Not really pulling much weight.
I guess it was alright. I really want to like it more, but it doesn't quite inspire me enough to do so.
Also, I love Hawaii... but I FUCKING HATE HAWAIIAN MUSIC.

- and just now I realized I watched two movies with George Clooney in the same day. lol

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 03-31-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

The Chemical Brothers - Don't Think - 7/10

There are a few moments where it might go to some neat places but it makes the smart choice of just letting the concert itself do all the work. The only people who will watch this know what they're getting into, so enjoy the ride.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Waiting for Superman

10/10

a very important movie
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 AM

The Mummy's Ghost(1944)-6/10
Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 AM
watched these two yesterday on bluray

9.5/10

8/10
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM
WE BOUGHT A ZOO - 8/10

I was worried about this since I wasn't fond of Crowe's previous ELIZABETHTOWN (but PEARL JAM 20 was good), and this is one of those movies that really has no surprises up its' sleeve.
That's alright, though, because it was a fine representation of family-friendly goodliness. I just wish the last 15 minutes or so didn't suck so much. I still thought it was pretty awesome.

HUGO - 3/10
This movie bored the fuck out of me.
Also, I hate how Scorcese has gotten so dependent on CGI. I had this same complaint about excessive (nice-looking but unrealistic) digital backlots for THE AVIATOR and SHUTTER ISLAND. If he wants to make a movie where people are supposed to be in a REAL FUCKING WORLD, then why am I stuck watching a hugely animated feature with human characters amongst it? Blech.

Also, not once did a dude get stabbed to death with a pen.

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS - 6/10

I'm not typically fond of Woody Allen pictures, but this was kinda cute. The constant name-dropping of past icons was frustrating, however I wasn't too bored or disappointed with the final product.

- While I was at work I saw some shitfest starring Hillary Duff called BEAUTY AND THE BRIEFCASE. It's so badly made that it's almost funny. Especially at the end when she finds her "true love", in which there was zero - I mean like zero degrees kelvin - chemistry or even much of a hint of a suggestion that the hookup makes sense. There are plenty of movies like this (for an example of a "good" one, check out THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA), but this is bad even for a bad one; of which there are many in this world.

2/10

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 04-01-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Take Shelter

An artful study of apocalyptic mania in the guise of Michael Shannon, one of the most interesting actors working today. A perfect fit. His face always looks like it’s on the verge of a major breakdown of some kind (though not quite to the extent of his role on Boardwalk Empire), but not without the essential humanity that makes this a particularly moving piece of work on all counts. Whether Curtis is truly crazy or cursed with some sorta precognition is moot – though you will get an answer by the end – because it’s his descent into madness over what his nightmares might signify, and the toll it takes on his family and friends, that provides the meat of the story. The first half is a fantastic build of tension, and really sells the strength of the relationship between Curtis and his wife Sam, played by Jessica Chastain, who found time among five other movies (!!! … !) to deliver another great performance here. It all sets up one of the most satisfying emotional climaxes of 2011, capping off one of the finer underseen dramas of that year.

-> 8/10
Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Easy Money

A Swedish crime film on an international level? Had me sold right away. A film that put Joel Kinnaman on the map once and for all as this guy secured a role in a TV Series and has popped up in a few films already as well as becoming the new face of Alex Murphy. It fell short for me in its pacing and characters that didn't really do it for me emotionally despite some decent acting. Its story seems vaguely familiar to me - guy gets tangled up in shady business that ends up fucking up his life - but the execution of it wasn't anything new or particularly exciting, pacing of which really needed work. All in all it's slightly forgettable, its redeeming quality is putting Kinnaman on the map as the guy is really going places.

6/10
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
watching on bluray

8/10
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Sennentuntschi - 4/10
Closed Thread