Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I wasn't expecting to be impressed by the trailer but it definitely looks like fun. Great CGI from what I saw in the trailer, I've never minded Farrel as a leading man, that scene when the chip gets implanted was done very well by all involved. And Bryan Cranston being involved makes it all the more worth it.

The only downer is the two leading women can't really act for shit. Hopefully they pull it off.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 AM
I like this movie'Starcast.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Len Wiseman did a great job with Die Hard 4 , it's the studios that decide wether the movie is R or Pg-13. The one thing I like about this guy is how well he shoots his action scenes ...a lot of directors should learn from him.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/don...te-discovered/
Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
The only downer is the two leading women can't really act for shit. Hopefully they pull it off.
if you're just watching Beckinsale & Biel for their acting skills...

Last edited by spooky; 06-18-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
If you want good performances in your movies.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Hopefully they pull it off.
They're more than welcome to pull it off.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM
I think Biel and Beckinsale are both at the very least solid actors. Beckinsale in particular. If you don't believe me then watch Nothing But the Truth and Snow Angels. Becksinale is fantastic in both.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
new trailer http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/total-recall-2012/
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM
So much love for the original film but the latest trailer completely sold me....IM IN!!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Do you hear that? That is the sound of interest going away. Yawn. Lousy trailer. Looks too much like the original. It looks like it's just a carbon copy of the original, except it also looks way too frenetically paced. Kate Beckinsale does look like she'll do a decent job in the Sharon Stone role. But otherwise, this movie looks like it'll have none of the magic of the original. It looks like it goes from point A to point B without in a very uninspired and unexciting way.

I hope I'm wrong. I want to like this movie. I want this movie to be different, or at least different enough for it to not come off as a waste of time and talent. But this trailer did not sell me AT ALL.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Ok guys, just a minor bit of preachin' here..

To me, the original 'Total Recall' is huge in many ways. When that movie came out I worked in a video store, and I remember that we were playing the documentary of that movie non stop (I couldn't get enough of it, hehe).

When this movie premiered, it was truly one of a kind. The effects were groundbreaking, in particular the scene where everyone goes trough security on Mars. On the other hand, it is one of the last movies where miniatures were used, most of the total exteriors on Mars are models. In addition, the theme of the movie seemed to be something that was difficult to execute in a comprehending way; mistaken identities and/or confusion about identities. These were Philip K. Dick's favorite recipes, but more about him later. The script of the original version was very effective, and we all got sucked into something so easily, while the explanation was quite complicated.
Spoiler:
Do you remember that part in the middle, where the doctor and Lori came in, telling Quaid that he was stuck in his psychosis? Well, we needed that break in the story, especially for the audience(!!). This is one of the best examples where you get connection between the main character and the audience, by the means of writing.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, up to that point, was a bit of a joke. Yes people, a JOKE. First of all, I guess it was a surprise that he did his housekeeper, but in Europe he was well known for his sexual escapades. A bodybuilder that fucks around a lot, a funny Austrian accent, a Mr Olympia Body, the grunting, the types of movies that he had appeared in before, it seemed like he couldn't carry a dialogue if he wanted to(!). However, I actually remember the impact of seeing Arnold acting for once, at least he was trying and in my humble opinion he came into his own as the movie progressed. The character of Doug Quaid was the most layered and multi dimensional character that he had portrayed up to that point, and although he might not have been a natural, he did get away with it.

The Writer. 'Total Recall' is based on a short story by Philip K. Dick ("we can sell it for you wholesale", but I'm doing this whole post from memory, so please double check me on this), and with this, his 'career' (he died about ten years before at that point) was re-boosted. Not only in the world of literature, but also in the movie business. The original 'Total Recall' spawned 'Next', 'Paycheck', 'Minority Report', 'Screamers' just to name a few, and even lately 'The Adjustment Bureau'. My point is that in between 'Blade Runner' and 'Total Recall' there was nothing being used by Philip K. Dick, except some little movie by a Greek guy somewhere in the late eighties if I remember correctly, but nothing as internationally recognized as 'Total Recall'.

Women fighting each other. Apart from certain genre movies, where Arnold also popped up in every now and then, women fighting was not being taken that seriously. Rachel Ticotin and Sharon Stone made some kind of history here. Yes, we had Ripley, and Sarah Connor was gonna be big a few years after 'Total Recall', but one of them fought a huge alien, and the other one took on a futuristic robot, they didn't fight a woman. Today you hear all the time about how actors were sent to boot camp, or trained on certain fighting skills for months, etc etc. Hell, I hear they even get down and dirty with ballet for a year before one frame was even being shot, hehe.. But back then, it wasn't that 'normal' at all, and certainly not for b-actresses like Rachel and Sharon. Those fights in the hallway, and the one between Arnold and Sharon still look very impressive today, and I think Total Recall might have been responsible for setting a precedent here. (There are many more details that I could mention here, literally a dozen of them, but the fact is, that I have seen them coming by in the trailers for the new Total Recall, so it might be too spoiler-ish.)

The Director. Oh yeah, here comes the second part of the Dutch Invasion. There was Paul Verhoeven at the helm, still around after Robocop, a very fair hit movie. And may I daresay, in short, that he was responsible for all of the above? He directed this flick with so much dedication and energy; everybody got infected by him. In fact, Sharon Stone knew what she was getting into with 'Basic Instinct' because she had worked with him before, and knew everything about Verhoeven's passion. She has even admitted on 'Inside The Actor's Studio' that she had seen 'Spetters' before she had even met him, an extremely graphic movie that he made when he was still working in The Netherlands. She's not stupid; she knew he would boost her career. I think it was Casper Van Dien that said during the promotion of 'Starship Troopers': "Paul Verhoeven, he's so insane". Love that quote. So true.

I have seen about 2000 movies since 'Total Recall' back in 1990. Film wise, it stands the test of time, it just does. It's a good solid exciting action adventure science fiction movie, with a fantastic story, basta. But to me a blockbuster is something that also makes a connection with a certain social and cinematic impact, like the things I mentioned above. Everybody was talking about this movie back in the summer of 1990, and I was there. I would have to look up other movies that were big that summer but the only one that comes to mind is, of course, 'Goodfellas' by Scorsese, and there is no contest there. But really, if you take 'Goodfellas' out of the equation, 'Total Recall' was one of the best movies of that year.

Will I check out the new version? Absofuckinglutely. Admitting that I am afraid of seeing a LOT of copying shots and designs to the original Verhoeven version, but with way better special effects. Pro's are the trailers, Colin Farrel, Bryan Cranston and even Len Wiseman because I happen to think he is a talent when it comes to shooting action movies. Con's are the female actresses; I fear over-acting by Beckinsale, just because she might have a little bit too much fun with being the bad guy. Biel seems too 'weak' for the part of Melina, but let's just wait and see.

From my point of view, it's all gonna be kind of .. difficult just because of the tremendous 'loyalty' that I feel for the Verhoeven version.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Ok guys, just a minor bit of preachin' here..

To me, the original 'Total Recall' is huge in many ways. When that movie came out I worked in a video store, and I remember that we were playing the documentary of that movie non stop (I couldn't get enough of it, hehe).
Piggybacking on your post. When the channel E first came out they showed the Total Recall trailer like 5 times an hour. They did not have much content back then.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
This movie looks stupid.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of remakes, but if any film required a remake, it's Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall. The original film hasn't aged well in the 20-something years since its theatrical release. Not to mention it's one of the most unintentionally hilarious films I've ever seen. With that said, Verhoeven's Total Recall has a special place in my heart, and I still think it's incredibly entertaining (for both good and bad reasons).

As for Len Wiseman's upcoming remake, I'm digging everything I'm seeing, so far. I like the casting, especially Bryan Cranston as Cohaagen, who I expect will easily steal the show in the film. The visuals look pretty cool as well.

HOWEVER...

I'm very disappointed by the PG-13 rating. This should definitely be an R-rated film. I'm trying to remain positive, but its rating is a bit of a killjoy.

Whatever. I'm still buying a ticket!

Strider
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM
If the movie is PG-13 does that mean they won't even show the girl with 3 tits? And we know she's in the movie because they showed her in the commercials/promos already. But is that all we get to see?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Supposedly she's wearing a bra.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
If the movie is PG-13 does that mean they won't even show the girl with 3 tits? And we know she's in the movie because they showed her in the commercials/promos already. But is that all we get to see?
I'm guessing that the 3 tit chick is pretty important to you.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I'm guessing that the 3 tit chick is pretty important to you.
If they had skipped it altogether, I honestly wouldn't care. But it IS in the movie, and having her wear a bra is copout on the filmmakers part.

I was once excited about this movie but not anymore. It looks way too much of a copy of the original and lacks the bloody action and nudity of the original.

I'll see it because believe it or not I'm actually a fan of Len Wiseman's. Even though it was disappointing that Live Free or Die Hard was PG-13 and the yippie-kiyay motherfucker line was blocked by the sound of a gunshot, I still thought it was a badass movie. I'm sure this movie will be visually pleasing, have some cool/slick action and it has a solid cast, but it will have too much of a been there, done that feel despite some changes (no mars, the Ethan Hawke character). But those changes are comparatively small.

Where as right now, I'm actually really looking forward to the RoboCop reboot because it sounds like they are actually doing something different with it. At least that is the feel I'm getting with the casting news we have been receiving.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 AM
I liked Die Hard as well. In Australia we got a MA rated version as well as the pg. Have you seen the MA version with all the swearing? It's a lot more fun to watch.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 AM
I was watching a promo for a movie with Colin Farrell in it yesterday. I was thinking how unoriginal the plot looks and then the Title for the movie showed up.

I think that explains how much interest I have in this movie?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 AM
http://collider.com/total-recall-dir...iseman/182603/

16 mins of footage for Director's Cut