Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
The Cabin in the Woods

Directed by Drew Goddard

Written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard

Genre: Horror

Plot Outline: Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Brian White

Rated R for strong bloody horror violence and gore, language, drug use and some sexuality/nudity

Runtime: 95 minutes

Can't wait to go see this with an audience expecting your typical "cabin in the woods" movie. I haven't heard the details of what direction this movie goes (and don't want to, no spoilers please), but have heard that it ends up being something totally unexpected and awesome.

For those who are interested, it currently sits at 95% on RT with 20 reviews and an average rating of 8.6/10.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM
My most anticipated movie this month! I am beyond exctied for this one!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I super hyped for this movie. The word of mouth is outstanding.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Yup Bourne that's pretty much what I heard. I watched the first trailer, it looked good, heard the buzz from the aicn screening, figured I'm gonna see it so regardless so I decided to avoid anything else about the movie from that point on. Looks like the buzz was spot on if it's that high on RT . Especially considering it's horror and that rarely coincides with a resoundingly positive consensus.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm going to a screening on Monday and I'm beyond excited. I've been a big Joss Whedon fan for a long time.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
This is probably the only movie I'm seeing for the month of April.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM
While Whedon is a good writer, I have yet to be convinced that he is a great or even a good director. I liked Serenity but there was a decidedly TV feel to it all and a lack of style which concerns me for Avengers (and the trailers for that have not made me feel any better).

I'm far more excited about Drew Goddard's involvement as director (and co-writer) than I am Whedon's and visually, this looks better than anything I've seen from the latter. Goddard has been pretty consistent in writing some of my favourite episodes of Buffy, Angel, Lost, and the best stuff from the last two meh seasons of Alias (as well as the solid Cloverfield). But I'm excited to see what he can do visually.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 04-05-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Since the reviews have been great, I'm definitely seeing this now.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I absolutely love that poster. It is a shame that Mondo posters are made in such limited quantity as they always sell out before I can get my hands on one.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
This is the only film I care to see in the theater before Prometheus hits. It looks like a fun ride with an amalgam of various horror genres and aesthetics thrown in. Plus one of the selling points for me is Drew Goddard, and secondly Whedon to seal the deal for me in seeing this. This is the type of film to see on a midnight showing.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Been waiting years for this one to come out. It's about fucking time. I just hope it's fun ala Evil Dead 2.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
love that poster
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I've not heard of this film before I saw this thread. Interesting that so many schmoes here hold the film in such high regard.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
I've not heard of this film before I saw this thread. Interesting that so many schmoes here hold the film in such high regard.
Well we've been waiting for it to be released since what January of '10?

Last edited by Lost in Space; 04-09-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
LMFAO

Giveaway: Win A Poster, T-Shirt, And, Yes, A Bong From Cabin In the Woods

Alright I'll admit that's got me even more intrigued...are they implying people should get high for this movie or is it actually related to what happens in the movie itself?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Alright I'll admit that's got me even more intrigued...are they implying people should get high for this movie?
YES, they are.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post

Alright I'll admit that's got me even more intrigued...are they implying people should get high for this movie or is it actually related to what happens in the movie itself?
You watch movies sober?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I just saw the film. I don't even know what to say. I'm floored. As many others have said, the less you know about it the better. It is a brilliant, clever, and exceedingly witty comment on the entire horror genre.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 08-01-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
I haven't been this stoked for a horror film in quite some time.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I think the last act makes the movie much more interesting. It's not thrown in willy nilly, either, but built up through terse, economical (and humorous) writing and characterization in the first two acts. As a straight up horror film, it's really not that scary but as a work of metafiction, it's quite interesting.

This was a free early screening so I'm most likely going to see it again over the weekend.

I'm curious as to what people will make of the final shot. Conceptually, Goddard and Whedon blow through some things early on that disappointed me in execution.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
I This was a free early screening so I'm most likely going to see it again over the weekend.
I had a free advance ticket to the movie tonight too but ended up missing it. I can't say I'm all that bummed about missing it though. The trailer did nothing for me. That said, I will definitely check it out this weekend. The comments about the movie taking an unexpected turn definitely has me intrigued.

Not to give anything away, but it is somewhat similar to what something like the movie Identity did? Not in the same way, but where as in that movie, the first 70 minutes of the movie plays like a fairly straight forward slasher flick in which characters are killed off one and at a time but then there is a 3rd act twist that completely changes what the movie is about and becomes something much more psychological and cooler and deeper for the remaining 20 minutes? I always LOVED that about Identity.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I had a free advance ticket to the movie tonight too but ended up missing it. I can't say I'm all that bummed about missing it though. The trailer did nothing for me. That said, I will definitely check it out this weekend. The comments about the movie taking an unexpected turn definitely has me intrigued.

Not to give anything away, but it is somewhat similar to what something like the movie Identity did? Not in the same way, but where as in that movie, the first 70 minutes of the movie plays like a fairly straight forward slasher flick in which characters are killed off one and at a time but then there is a 3rd act twist that completely changes what the movie is about and becomes something much more psychological and cooler and deeper for the remaining 20 minutes? I always LOVED that about Identity.
Yes and no. The film doesn't have a final big twist, but rather it reveals its layers efficiently and elegantly throughout the film so it always feels like it's building towards something big. Believe me when I say that this is nothing like a normal slasher film, however. Nothing at all.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWnPVOSZKg

i had a look at the trailer it looks interesting but l dont think Austraila will get it for a while

But when it does l will be the first to see it

it has been a while since we have a had a good movie
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I went into it pretty much blind and I thought it was superb.

Inventive, subversive, beautifully paced and scripted, witty and very clever with a few memorable scares and the final act is just REALLY FUCKING COOL.

Highly recommended.

9/10
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey you seem to have given this movie a good reveiw

i was looking at the trailer and it looks interesting and l can tell you this that there is not many movies which gain my interest these days
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Midnight showing tonight. I.....CAN'T........WAIT!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Hey you seem to have given this movie a good reveiw

i was looking at the trailer and it looks interesting and l can tell you this that there is not many movies which gain my interest these days
you like films!!!! I knew you had it in you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07M3waPg6DU

Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
A horror movie so nice, you have to see it twice! (...which I'm doing today again, because all be damn if I don't see how my brother reacts to this!)

9.5/10
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
A horror movie so nice, you have to see it twice! (...which I'm doing today again, because all be damn if I don't see how my brother reacts to this!)

9.5/10
Right on! I'm going to see it for my 3rd time today with my friend who's a huge Whedon fan and knows NOTHING about the film. His reaction will be priceless.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM
I enjoyed it. I didn't think I would, but I really did. The creativity, and approach to this genre was inspiring. I look forward to these guys next project.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd be lying if I said I really liked it.

First and foremost, the stoner guy was annoying as fuck. His voice irritated the shit out of me and I hope I never see him in another film.

Spoiler:
While I did like most of the third act (especially all the monsters getting let loose, I thought the whole Gods angle was lame and I sorta rolled my eyes at the final shot.

Overall a decent horror film imo but no where near as good as I thought it'd be.

6/10
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Spoiler:
While I did like most of the third act (especially all the monsters getting let loose, I thought the whole Gods angle was lame and I sorta rolled my eyes at the final shot.
Spoiler:
I agree with this. I thought it was the stupidest thing of the whole movie.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Ahhh, the scene where......
Spoiler:
Jenkin's and Whitford's lab gets invaded and the lights go out

...everyone in my front row simultaneously said "OH SHIT!" It was too perfect for words. Unfortunately I couldn't see the film today again due to hectic work hours for my brother, so we've decided to a Hunger Games/Cabin in the Woods double feature on Monday.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Would've been a perfect 10/10, but that ending just sucked and felt like a copout. The rest is incredible and the best American horror films in the longest time.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
thought the movie was a lot of fun....8/10
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
The coffe cup bong was the greatest thing i have ever seen in a film.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I'd be lying if I said I really liked it.

First and foremost, the stoner guy was annoying as fuck. His voice irritated the shit out of me and I hope I never see him in another film.

Spoiler:

Overall a decent horror film imo but no where near as good as I thought it'd be.

6/10
This.

Spoiler:
The movie seemed to be great until they dwelled deeper and deeper into the "Ancient" ones returning. And the giant Wrath of the Titans hand made me go "wtf".

But I'm going to give it an 8/10 because I liked all of the horror movie references we got when they released the
Spoiler:
monsters

Last edited by Roy Batty; 04-13-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Joss & Drew convey some deeper messages than seeing it as just another entertaining horror film?

Spoiler:

I think those archetypes are a parody to the horror genre. Most American horror films seem to center around a group of people (thus, 5 archetypes), each with different stereotype, who die one by one. Meanwhile, since Japanese horror films often center around creepy ghost child, the Japanese sacrifice-maker was a creepy floaty Japanese girl. So each country landed in its own horror film. The scientists wants to see how each archetype plays out after the group is offered various choices.

The Gods are a metaphor for our instinctual blood lust that is somewhat placated by fictional violence in films. It is pointing out that the same drives that lead us to watch horror films lead us to gladiatorial arenas in the past. What they are in terms of the actual narrative is irrelevant.

Mr. Ebert has some interesting points

"Do horror characters make choices because of the requirements of the genre, or because of their own decisions? And since they're entirely the instruments of their creators, to what degree can the filmmakers exercise free will?"

This film deconstructs the horror genre.

9/10

Last edited by lennyd43; 04-14-2012 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyd43 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Joss & Drew convey some interesting messages and that it's not just another entertaining horror film?

Spoiler:

I think those archetypes are a parody to the horror genre. Most American horror films seem to center around a group of people (thus, 5 archetypes), each with different stereotype, who die one by one. Meanwhile, since Japanese horror films often center around creepy ghost child, the Japanese sacrifice-maker was a creepy floaty Japanese girl. So each country landed in its own horror film. The scientists wants to see how each archetype plays out after the group is offered various choices.

The Gods are a metaphor for our instinctual blood lust that is somewhat placated by fictional violence in films. It is pointing out that the same drives that lead us to watch horror films lead us to gladiatorial arenas in the past. What they are in terms of the actual narrative is irrelevant.

Mr. Ebert has some interesting points

"Do horror characters make choices because of the requirements of the genre, or because of their own decisions? And since they're entirely the instruments of their creators, to what degree can the filmmakers exercise free will?"

9/10
You are not the only one who thinks this. I wrote a fairly long review of the film that talks about many of these things. I'll share it here:

What is your relationship with horror films? Fear can be one of the most powerful emotions, and thus horror films are often the most polarizing. For every kid who huddled under the blanket reading Fangoria and thinking about Jason and Michael, another screamed at the mere notion of a machete wielding madman. On top of that, the horror genre has suffered greatly over recent times, focusing on rehashes and remakes and a lot of derivative nonsense, with the rare quality horror film often coming from unexpected and independent sources. The long delayed (due to MGMís financial woes) The Cabin in the Woods, a collaboration between writer/producer Joss Whedon and writer/director Drew Goddard, feels like a vital and necessary comment on both the state of the horror film as it were, and the necessity for stories of fear in our lives. It dares to examine the idiosyncrasies and banalities of horror films in a fashion that is both academic and loving. The film is also completely and utterly badass.

As a review of the film, that is enough right there. As has become well known at this point, Cabin is a film that is best enjoyed with a fresh perspective. The less you know about it the better off you are. This isnít a film like The Sixth Sense, however, that hinges entirely on a final 3rd act twist. This is a film that sets up its unique scenario from the filmís first frame and elegantly and cleverly reveals its information and surprises, slowly pulling back the layers and giving the viewer both the hows and the whys. As the layers and complexities are revealed, the film builds until it reaches a tipping point, and then it builds some more. It is utterly relentless and expertly paced. As the film progresses Drew Goddard proves in his directorial debut to be an extremely effective craftsman, as the film feels impeccably composed, with a great sense of timing that makes for some very amusing and/or horrifying reveals. The climax is a flurry of of explosive, violent, and genuinely crowd pleasing moments that perfectly pays off the rest of the film. It is a horror fanís dream come true. (Or, perhaps, nightmare come true).

What makes this film truly special is its exceedingly clever and witty script. Whedon and Goddard have always been terrific with language, and that is exemplified in Cabin. Though the film has the tone of a horror piece, it is also very funny thanks to natural banter and the chemistry and talent of the cast. Even more than the humor, though, the script is a shining example of a perfectly balanced structure. The film actually has two distinct sections that inform each other and eventually marry in the end, and this works beautifully in the way it allows Whedon and Goddard to explore the way audiences have come to expect horror films to work. Cabin plays with our expectations and constantly subverts them, setting up obvious scenarios and archetypal characters and then pulling the rug out from under them to explain either why those scenarios are happening or why the characters are such archetypes. It is a high wire act that is meta without being too cute and exists firmly within the realm of post-modern discourse. It is for this reason that I mentioned earlier that the film is almost academic; one could imagine a scenario in which this exists as a highly intellectual thesis on the composition and reasoning behind horror films. Not only does Cabin smash away the conventions (almost lampooning them without existing as a parody like, say, Scary Movie) but it perhaps finally gives the answers horror films have been asking for years. Why do they go back inside the house? Why is someone always suggesting that the group splits up? Why is everyone suddenly acting so stupid? To my mind no film has ever answered these questions in a way that is even remotely this satisfying.

Ultimately this would all be well and good, but it needed a cast to sell it. The cast is, at the end of the day, the filmís greatest weapon. We have the five typical college students who go on a weekend party trip to, yes, a cabin in the woods, and then a handful of seemingly mundane office workers. As the students, each of the actors has a difficult road to walk; they must exist both as a stereotype and as a character with humanity, and they all deliver. As the alpha male jock, Chris Hemsworth (who shot this film long before Thor) shows why he has now become a film star. As the necessary virgin, the lovely Kristen Connolly plays with subtle sympathy and heart. Best of all, though, is Fran Kranz as Marty the witty stoner. Not only does Fran have all of the best lines, but Martyís evolution is one of the filmís best and most satisfying surprises. I have a feeling that Marty will end up as something of a horror icon. Goddard was even more clever in his casting of the office workers. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford are perfect.

To my mind, The Cabin in the Woods is something of a miracle. It is the ultimate deconstruction of horror cinema that also works as a widely entertaining and bloody horror film in its own right. It hits its notes with perfect timing and gusto, and genuine humor. The film is clearly a passion project and a labor of love, and that shines through. Whedon and Goddard (and in fact likely the cast too) are clearly horror fans, and this film has the potential to serve as both a wake-up call to other horror filmmakers and as a classic entry into the genre. Best of all, The Cabin in the Woods reminds us that everyone needs a little fear and horror in our lives. Horror keeps us alive, and it keeps us sane.