Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Can anyone recommend a good martial arts movie?

I've seen many martial arts movies in my time. From Jackie Chan to Jean Claude Van Damme. Michal Jai White to Sonny Chiba. Bruce Lee to Tony Jaa. I've seen loads.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for some martial arts movies I may I have missed? I've covered the classics I think. Some newer martial arts flicks that I might have missed?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
It may not be considered martial arts as far as genre is concerned, but Brotherhood of the Wolf has some pretty impressive fight scenes, featuring Mark Dacascos.

I also recommend anything by Tony Jaa: Ong Bak and its two sequels, and The Protector.

I also remember watching The Iron Monkey with Donnie Yen (an underrated martial arts star). Anything with him in it is a pretty good bet.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I also remember watching The Iron Monkey with Donnie Yen (an underrated martial arts star). Anything with him in it is a pretty good bet.
Iron Monkey is awesome and so is Donnie Yen ..... check out Yip Man ( the 1st only , the sequel is pretty average )

Don't know what martial arts movies you've seen so i can only pinpoint to one of my "lesser known but really awesome" choice : Shinobi - Heart Under Blade ... sorry , couldn't find a subbed trailer but basically its a mix of Romeo&Juliette and Ninja Scroll.

Oh yeah ... Juliette is blind
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 AM
Yeah seen all of Tony Jaa films and the Ip Man films. All fantastic. I think I'll need to check out Iron Monkey though :-) Donnie Yen is awesome!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I've seen many martial arts movies in my time. From Jackie Chan to Jean Claude Van Damme. Michal Jai White to Sonny Chiba. Bruce Lee to Tony Jaa. I've seen loads.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for some martial arts movies I may I have missed? I've covered the classics I think. Some newer martial arts flicks that I might have missed?
Certainly not new, but is it badass and fun as hell? Hells yeah. Check this out, it's one of my faves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdP1qTjGZY
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Jackie Chan's LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER is a good Chinese flick. It's in Chinese, so you can either get it dubbed or subbed.

I recommend dubbed, personally.

....remember, though, LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER should not be confused with his other movie DRUNKEN MASTER...those are two completely different films.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
It may not be considered martial arts as far as genre is concerned, but Brotherhood of the Wolf has some pretty impressive fight scenes, featuring Mark Dacascos.
Also featuring the Chairman: Only The Strong! Bono Nah Way!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Good reccomendations.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Anything you haven't seen that Jet Li is in. The man is mind blowing.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Kung Fu Hustle has soem pretty great stuff in it.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Also try Azumi if you haven't seen it. Ridiculous/over-the-top fun!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Check this out...

If you haven't seen it already.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Jackie Chan's LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER is a good Chinese flick. It's in Chinese, so you can either get it dubbed or subbed.

Dubbed VS Subbed is always a difficult choice

I usually prefer subbed because you can get a better grasp on an actor's performance but for martial arts movies i go dubbed all the way. It's not like actors are doing Oscar-worthy dialogue and i dont wanna be stuck reading subtitles when punches are flying. Actually , dialogues are usually funnier when dubbed. Nothing better than a fat monk saying : " My dead monkey fist palm of terror will crush your arrogant crane style of kung-fu HAHAHAHAHA FOOL" I just made that up btw
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post

....remember, though, LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER should not be confused with his other movie DRUNKEN MASTER...those are two completely different films.
Yeah tell me about it. I loved Legend of the Drunken Master which is out just now in the UK. Drunken Master was a chore to watch! It has dated so badly!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
Check this out...

If you haven't seen it already.
Seen it. Loved it. Donnie Yen is fricking amazing! It's a wonder he hasn't been snapped up by Hollywood more. I know he was in Shanghai Knights and Blade 2, but neither film really utilized him enough.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM
3 Ninjas: Kick Back
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindhouse7641 View Post
3 Ninjas: Kick Back
That shit was so ridiculous. But yet appealing to me, as a kid.

Is that the one with Hulk Hogan?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Undisputed III: Redemption with Scott Adkins was pretty good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156466/

haven't seen any of other movies with Scott

also liked
Never Back Down

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023111/

this one more for teens, but nothing wrong with that - plus pretty good martial moves.

Fuzzy
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 AM
ps. in the era of martial movies there was also
Gymkata, Mortal Kombat

and then there was this young blond American guy who made at least three martial art movies - alas, I forgot his name.
I vaguely remember in one he was rescuing some girls from prostitution,
and some children, in Rio or something like that.
there was drug cartel involved, too, of course.

Fuzzy
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
i really like hero and pretty much all movies starring jet lee - he is just a great kung fu performer!

Last edited by dejaz; 05-02-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM
To follow up Digi's recommendation of Master of The Flying Guillotine - One-Armed Boxer, The Chinese Boxer and Five Fingers of Death/King Boxer. The last one is the weakest of those three, but good if you need a quick kick fix. Anything with Jimmy Wang Yu, really.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
To follow up Digi's recommendation of Master of The Flying Guillotine - One-Armed Boxer, The Chinese Boxer and Five Fingers of Death/King Boxer. The last one is the weakest of those three, but good if you need a quick kick fix. Anything with Jimmy Wang Yu, really.
And to follow up this recommendation I would also suggest The Five Venoms, Master With Cracked Fingers and The Prodigal Son (featuring the amazing Yuen Biao).
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about . Jimmy Wang Yu was a master in his time, not in a Bruce Lee kinda way, but in bringing a really entertaining spin to the films he made and was in.

I'd add Five Element Ninjas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoznI_DvKzg

and Mystery of Chessboxing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcPLW...eature=related

and of course another fun one, Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind - http://youtu.be/JZX6oPrSF6c

Last edited by Digifruitella; 04-27-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 AM
just remembered 1 movie i saw at Fant-Asia like 10-12 years ago

Green Snake ( Ching Se )

it's from Tsui Hark ( Black Mask , Once upon a time in China , Time and Tide , etc ) , i saw at least 12 of his movies but it's hard to find them on IMDB since they are listed by their asian names. Well ,he also did Knock-Off with Van Damne but that was kinda fail.