Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
really hope to see Chisora Haye in the ring, unless Chisora shoots him up first braaaaaaaaap, ha

Chisora is ok, he just tried to get at Vitali with the crazy antics. It almost worked, hey he won a round!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
"I am gonna physically shoot David Haye. He fuckin glassd me. He glassd me. I'm not having it. Why is everyone holding me? ...I'm going to physically burn him...His entourage aint got nothing on my entourage. I.AM.GOING.TO.FIND.HIM"

Vitali in the background with his phone, not giving a shit. ;P

That whole scenario was funny. I would love to see a Chisora vs Haye.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
The brawl video now has over three million hits on YouTube. Call me crazy, but Chisora's being a whackjob might be a really good thing for boxing. Can't remember the last time something related to the heavyweight division got this much coverage.

Great quote I read about Chisora: "the only passenger on his own personal crazy train."
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
The brawl video now has over three million hits on YouTube. Call me crazy, but Chisora's being a whackjob might be a really good thing for boxing. Can't remember the last time something related to the heavyweight division got this much coverage.
I agree, but I just wish it was interest related to actual good boxers. Haye and Chisora are decent, but certainly nothing special. I wish something the Klitschkos did would generate interest, but it's just not the way they're wired.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Thoughts on Alexander-Maidana? I think most of us can agree that Alexander has been something of a disappointment. He SHOULD have three losses instead of the one. He has a decent chin but he gets hit too much and isn't accurate with his punches. Maybe he can turn things around with this fight, since Maidana also looked vulnerable against Morales.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Great fight, even though it ends on a sad note because it's probably the end of Lopez's career. No way he comes back from this. He's been exposed. It's sad, because not even a year ago he was on his way to being boxing's next big star. All he has left are enormous balls and a good right hook. His chin is a mess and the defense hasn't improved one bit.

Salido deserves another shot at Gamboa, if Gamboa indeed is going to pull out of the fight with Rios. That's one ballsy Mexican. He reminds me of mini Mexican Glen Johnson.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM
After getting TKO'd by a nobody last night, I think I can say that Jorge Linares is the biggest disappointment of any fighter I can remember in my lifetime. He has tons of talent but something always goes wrong for him.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
After getting TKO'd by a nobody last night, I think I can say that Jorge Linares is the biggest disappointment of any fighter I can remember in my lifetime. He has tons of talent but something always goes wrong for him.
Rocky Juarez?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Rocky Juarez?
While Juarez is something of a dud, he still managed to be competitive against guys like Barrera and Chris John. Linares' losses have come to guys who aren't in his league.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm about to turn my back on the sport - seriously did anyone catch Rios-Abril? "Worst decision ever" doesn't have the same ring anymore because it's used so frequently in boxing. Rios had one good round, rest of the fight belonged to Abril. Now I understand why Gamboa pulled out of the fight with Rios...
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm becoming less of a true boxing fan and more of an "event" boxing fan. I haven't had too many problems with the big boxing decisions. Although I may disagree a bit with, say, Marquez/Pacquiao III, it wasn't egregious. I find smaller fights, where there are ulterior motives (such as protecting an investment) seem to have worse decisions. It's bothering me, and the Rios fight was no exception.

It's awful, but expected. I'm gonna find myself watching fewer small cards and only care about the big ones. I'm certainly watching Cotto/Mayweather
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not going to stop watching boxing. It's too entertaining and, yes, 90% of decisions end up going to the right guy. All I know is that over the last year or so we've seen a cluster of really bad judging decisions. It's happening too much. We need to purge the system of these shady characters, especially if they're responsible for scoring the damn fights.

The scariest thing is that the two judges who ruined this fight are really well-known and have been around for years. Jerry Roth does almost every major Vegas card. He scored the Oscar-Trinidad fight 7-5 for Tito, one of the worst scorecards I've ever seen because Tito wasn't even competitive for that many rounds. Is it any wonder he fucked up another fight?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 AM
These BS decisions just make it frustrating being a fight fan but I'm not going to miss Pac/Bradley, Mayweather/Cotto and especially Froch/Bute. We still have plenty of mouthwatering fights lined up for 2012, all I'm asking for is less corruption and incompetence involved.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Anyone else holding out on tomorrow's fights? I'm sorry, but I can't in all good conscience spend $70 on an ok-ish main event and a total disgrace of an undercard. Floyd picked Cotto (whom I like a lot) as an opponent for a reason, and Canelo's people are being WAY too choosy with their opposition. Ten years ago, Mosley would've hospitalized Canelo, but he doesn't have anything left. This entire card is an insult to boxing fans.

Fuck Floyd and Pacquiao. I'd rather watch Martinez, Donaire, Ward, or Bute any day of the week. Those guys are just as talented, IMO.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Just hang in there Brando, we've got Froch-Bute coming up soon. I'm waaay more excited about that fight than any other fight this year

Last edited by Derrida; 05-07-2012 at 05:52 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Got together with some friends and ordered the card last night.

Canelo/Mosley went as expected. Shane is a shot fighter, and Canelo just brutalized him. I didn't see much from Canelo that impressed me, though. He picks his spots, wasn't able to knock Mosley down, left himself open a lot... if he thinks he's ready to fight Mayweather, he's sorely mistaken.

As for Mayweather/Cotto, it was a very solid fight. I read some people say Cotto was washed up, and that's just idiocy. 154 is the weight where he belongs, and he put on a great show. He just doesn't have the talent to bang with Floyd. But at the end of the day, no one does, unless Floyd gets real ballsy and steps up to 160 to fight Martinez.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Sorry to go off on one but...

The only insight coming from Floyd during the build up was when he admitted he was a stupid guy who happened to surround himself with smart people (most likely referring to Leonard Ellerbe).
So did anyone pay attention to the post fight interview? Floyd said he wouldn't fight Pacquiao as long as Arum was involved and that there would be no 50/50 deal.
Seriously? That is Floyd's way of guaranteeing that Mayweather-Pacquiao will never take place. Manny leave Bob Arum? The man who gave him his illustrious career? Never going to happen. Manny has said over and over he'd take the tests but Floyd keeps coming up with more and more BS.

"Money" doesn't want the fight and he couldn't make it more blatantly clear
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Derrida, I agree with everything you just said, except for the notion that Ellerbe is a "smart man." After one episode of 24/7, I realized that he might be the most pathetic member of Floyd's crew. He doesn't manage Floyd so much as he worships him. That's the real problem with Floyd: he's surrounded by a bunch of yes-men who don't negate anything he says and ride his dick all day just so they can have a taste of the sweet life.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrida View Post
So did anyone pay attention to the post fight interview? Floyd said he wouldn't fight Pacquiao as long as Arum was involved and that there would be no 50/50 deal.
I'm not sure if there is another post-fight interview you're referring to, but the one in the ring with Larry Merchant, Floyd didn't say any of that.

He dodged the question about the 50/50 split, but didn't say he wouldn't do it. He also said Bob Arum is the one preventing the fight from happening, but didn't say he wouldn't do the fight with Arum involved. Floyd thinks Arum wants to protect his meal ticket, and Arum's flip-flop on Manny's availability in June looks very suspicious.

However, the obvious, biggest deal-killer was Floyd refusing a 50/50. Again, he didn't acknowledge it in the Merchant interview, but if he hasn't come off that stance, the fight won't (and shouldn't) happen.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
"Money" doesn't want the fight and he couldn't make it more blatantly clear
Think it's because he's afraid to get his ass kicked by Pac-Man?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure if there is another post-fight interview you're referring to, but the one in the ring with Larry Merchant, Floyd didn't say any of that.
My bad, it was at the post-fight press conference:

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...o-fight--52585
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 AM
This is pretty ironic - Lamont Peterson insists on random testing before the upcoming Khan rematch and Peterson tests positive:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...nned-substance
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Holy crap! Haye-Chisora is on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...dereck-chisora

This made me laugh out loud:

Quote:
Chisora said: "I saw David Haye a couple of weeks and he pulled a knife."
Haye responded: "I was eating a steak. It was in a restaurant."
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Haye-Chisora will be an interesting matchup. Haye is the far more skilled fighter, but Chisora is much tougher. I think at some point Chisora is going to get disqualified for trying to eat Haye's face off. That guy is bonkers.

It's unfortunate that Peterson tested positive, but to be fair most fighters who get outed are already great fighters who happened to have lapses in judgment (Shane Mosley, James Toney, Orlando Salido, etc). Boxing is the kind of sport where you HAVE a certain level of natural ability to get to the upper level, so guys who get caught using PEDs aren't necessarily frauds or cheats.

Derrida, did you read about Bute getting a foot infection? I think it's cool that he's going to fight Froch anyway, on his home turf, even with the infection. I used to think Bute was a fraud who picked on weak opposition, but he's as fucking real as they come.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
My bad, it was at the post-fight press conference:

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...o-fight--52585
Gotcha.

I've normally sided with Mayweather in this mess, but at the end of the day, even though offering Pacquiao $40 million is a ton of money (Mayweather's $32 million guarantee for Cotto is the most ever), Pacquiao should not accept it. I don't know if Pacquiao is as big a draw as Mayweather (Mayweather does bigger PPV numbers, but he also fights more well-known opponents), but Pacquiao/Mayweather should be 50/50. Or 45/45 with the remaining 10% going to the winner. It's insulting to Pacquiao to accept anything less. If Mayweather is really a bigger star than Pacquiao, the difference is miniscule.

Mayweather claims Pacquiao previously agreed to less than $40 million. If I remember correctly, that was a concession Pacquiao was willing to make in lieu of the random drug testing (which he vehemently opposed in the beginning). Now that he's ok with the drug testing, he shouldn't have to make any more concessions. Floyd is being stubborn and ridiculous.

Quote:
This is pretty ironic - Lamont Peterson insists on random testing before the upcoming Khan rematch and Peterson tests positive:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...nned-substance
Hilarious. I hope the fight still happens, though. First one was brilliant.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
I've normally sided with Mayweather in this mess, but at the end of the day, even though offering Pacquiao $40 million is a ton of money (Mayweather's $32 million guarantee for Cotto is the most ever), Pacquiao should not accept it. I don't know if Pacquiao is as big a draw as Mayweather (Mayweather does bigger PPV numbers, but he also fights more well-known opponents), but Pacquiao/Mayweather should be 50/50. Or 45/45 with the remaining 10% going to the winner. It's insulting to Pacquiao to accept anything less. If Mayweather is really a bigger star than Pacquiao, the difference is miniscule.
Agreed. Another aspect of this we can't overlook is the live gate. Floyd has plenty of fans, but most of them aren't people who show up to live events. I can't even remember the last time Floyd had more fans show up to a fight than his opponent. Definitely not against, Cotto, Marquez, Hatton, or Oscar. Even when Sugar Shane almost knocked him out, the whole arena was cheering for him to get KO'd. Floyd is undoubtedly the king of PPV, and last weekend I think he proved he's a biggest star in the sport, but he's also a different kind of star. He's a big event, big picture kind of guy, whereas Pacquiao is a global icon. 50/50 is the only way this thing will work.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah Brando, I heard about Bute's foot. I hope and pray it gets better pronto as a cancellation would break my heart

I had the exact same reservations as you in the beginning regarding Bute, but the more I see him the more I dig him. He's a proper ring warrior and a gent to boot. To be honest I don't even know who to root for in this fight, I like both Froch and Bute, these guys come to fight
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
It's a shame the Berto/Ortiz rematch is off, with Berto testing positive for steroids.

It's funny, but when Mayweather initially made those stupid drug testing demands vs. Pacquiao in an effort to clean up the sport, I think most of us thought it was just an excuse. But there has been an inordinate amount of fighters testing positive for banned substances lately. Maybe Floyd was on to something.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM
And not surprisingly "nutritionist" Victor Conte is in Berto's corner. He offers the lame "contaminated supplements" excuse as usual
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Berto could've taken all the steroids he wanted and he still would've lost the rematch. As sensational as their first fight was, it seemed clear that night that Ortiz is just the better fighter of the two. Conversely, Khan can blame Peterson all he wants for what happened in the first fight, but steroids wouldn't explain why he seemed physically incapable of defending himself against Peterson's uppercuts. It also doesn't explain why Khan couldn't keep the fight on the outside despite a massive height/reach advantage.

I'm not defending Peterson or Berto, or the use of PEDs. However, I think steroid use is much different in boxing than it is in other sports. Steroids can help someone hit a baseball harder and faster, or get by an offensive lineman, but they can't help you throw better combinations or cut off the ring.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Any predictions for tonight? I'm taking Bute by decision. I have high opinions of both fighters, but style-wise, I think Bute has the clear advantage. Froch tends to put on his best performances against super tough guys with good chins and big punches (Pascal, Abraham, Johnson; i.e. lesser versions of himself). His biggest struggles in the Super Six all came to guys with fast hands and slick movement (I thought Dirrell deserved the decision in their fight and he ended up losing to Kessler and Ward).
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I haven't seen enough of Bute to really be able to judge. I just know that after the Super Six, I became a huge fan of Froch (and his wife).
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow, that was the worst prediction I've ever done for a fight since I picked Pavlik to beat Hopkins.

This might sound like hyperbole, but I truly believe Froch deserves consideration for the HOF. In the past four years, he's beaten the former lineal light heavyweight champ, the former lineal middleweight champ, and also dominated two dangerous titleholders in their prime. If someone like Pipino Cuevas, who sucked for 90% of his career, can be in the HOF then Froch deserves consideration at the very least.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Froch schooled Bute good, Bute barely made it to the fifth. I've been a fan of the Cobra since the Pascal fight and this was probably the best version of the Englishman I've seen. The fact that Bute had never faced an opponent like Froch was evident in the ring, the Cobra just walked through his punches to unleash a flurry of punches that made Bute look like a bobblehead.

The question is - will Bute take the rematch in Montreal?

As for Froch, he will go down in history as the best English fighter in the middleweight division. Like Brando mentioned just look at his jawdropping record since 2008: Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Andre Ward and Lucian Bute.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Didn't see the fight, but from what I've read (both here and on sports sites) it appears Froch demolished him so badly that Bute shouldn't even exercises his rematch clause. Stunning. I'm a huge fan of Froch's, but I would never have predicted him to compeltely crush Bute.

Even if it's a stylistic mismatch (which appears to be the case... again, didn't see the fight) I expect Bute to take the rematch. There's too much money on the table and he won't get it any where else. Plus, it'll be on his home turf, where he's much more comfortable.

Will Froch make the HOF? I have no clue. Never really like to think about those things until careers are over. But I'm hard pressed to find a tougher 8 fight stretch for any fighter in recent history.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Wow, what a great/horrible week for boxing. It started out well with Froch's upset of Bute, but now it's turned to shit. Johnny Tapia, who was a hell of a fighter in his prime, is now gone. Paul Williams, also a hell of a fighter in his prime, is paralyzed for life and won't fight again. Thanks a lot to the shitty driver who put him in that state.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 AM
Just read about Paul Williams, doctors say he'll never walk again. The whole thing is so sad, apparently Paul was on his way to his brother's wedding. My thoughts go to Paul and his family. At least he's alive and is said to be in "good spirits". He could easily have ended up like Diego Corrales.

@Darth - found this clip from the Froch-Bute fight. It picks up from round four, I'm sure all the other rounds are available via Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LDCGXBAW70
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
What do you boxing fans think, does Tim Bradley have a chance in hell vs. Pac-Man? (Can Bradley win & can he win convincingly?)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Good question. I do believe Bradley possesses the power and the speed to keep up with Pacquiao. My only concern is that Bradley will start using his head instead of his fists. I'm not a big fan of Bradley simply because he doesn't fight a clean fight.

Also we don't know which version of Manny Pacquiao we'll be seeing. I think Pac knows his last four fights since Cotto have been pedestrian to say the least. If Manny decides to wage a war in the ring Bradley will have to work harder than he ever has before. When Manny gets in the zone, he's the most awkward southpaw on the planet (which is the main reason Mayweather isn't keen on taking on the Pinoy fighter).

I think Pacquiao will get the best of Bradley but imagine the upset if the American wins...
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
I think Pacquiao will get the best of Bradley but imagine the upset if the American wins...
Not only that, but a convincing (non-fluke) like victory would instantly put Bradley on the map as a potential household name. Should be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure!