Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Franken, did you see that Rose injured his ankle in the NY game and is now in a fucking walking boot? The guy can't catch a break this year! Unbelievable!
FUCK.

I really, really don't want Miami to take the East.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Lakers vs. Spurs

Bynum- 30 rebounds

Entire Spurs team- 32 rebounds
Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn View Post
FUCK.

I really, really don't want Miami to take the East.
You're not the only one. But if the Miami Cunts aren't careful they could be upset by a really solid Boston team. Same with Chicago... Can't forget Indiana either, they're the 3rd seed currently in the east.

Bourne, I saw Bynum has 30 boards earlier tonight. Astounding. I've never thought too much of him, and felt like a lotta Laker (and non-Laker) fans were over-hyping him a few years back in his Rookie year. But he's really developed into a damned solid player, I will give him that.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Bynum's feat is amazing when you consider that most teams didn't even top 40 rebounds last night. He's the first Laker to net 30 boards since fucking Kareem.

GREAT win for the Clippers, too.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
You're not the only one. But if the Miami Cunts aren't careful they could be upset by a really solid Boston team. Same with Chicago... Can't forget Indiana either, they're the 3rd seed currently in the east.
I honestly don't think anyone other than Boston has a chance against Miami. Is Chicago any better than they were last year? I'm not convinced they are, and they were kinda obliterated last year. Indy? Come now. They'd struggle to stay within 10 points in any game in a series (and yes, I know Boston got beat by Chicago handily in last year's playoffs...but if Rondo was healthy it might have been different, and the NBA is about matchups, and they simple match up better against Miami).

As Simmons wrote in his article this week, Boston can win because it seems they are the only team that can beat Miami when Lebron has a great game. Now, if Wade and Bron are both on they're pretty close to unbeatable, but there's no reason to believe that will always happen.

In the West, I think OKC has a chance against Miami. Not sure anyone else does given the matchups.

Quote:
But he's really developed into a damned solid player
Agreed, but he's also developed into a damned idiot, and I wouldn't want him on my squad. And even with getting better this year, he's only averaging 8 rebounds a game for his career. I think this is a random one-off performance that speaks little of him, ultimately.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
And even with getting better this year, he's only averaging 8 rebounds a game for his career. I think this is a random one-off performance that speaks little of him, ultimately.
I think it's a little unfair to look at his average over his entire career. His first two years, he didn't play that much and up until this year he has been plagued with injuries. This has really been his breakout year, averaging 18.4 points and 12.2 boards per game, both of which are significantly higher totals than any of his previous years. And while he isn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box and frequently has a chip on his shoulder (which, on the bright side, has strengthened his relationship with Kobe), I'm glad the league has another legitimate, aggressive center who goes to work every night. There aren't many of them.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-12-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Well Chicago vs. Miami should be fun to watch, especially if DRose can actually play tonight. Guess we shall see. I could care less about Dallas vs. GSW. The Warriors on national TV two nights in a row? Really ESPN & TNT? REALLY?!?! The Warriors really haven't been good to watch since about 2007 IMO.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Rose is totally rusty and looked like hell tonight. LeBitch does his normal disappearing act in OT and blows a free throw in the fourth to do what he does best, and that's choke. He must've learned it from his mom, cuz if she swallowed he probably wouldnt've been born. King fucking Jerkoff is all he is, the over-rated prick.

I'm going to set my phone to LeBitch now. (No ring)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Rose is totally rusty and looked like hell tonight. LeBitch does his normal disappearing act in OT and blows a free throw in the fourth to do what he does best, and that's choke. He must've learned it from his mom, cuz if she swallowed he probably wouldnt've been born. King fucking Jerkoff is all he is, the over-rated prick.

I'm going to set my phone to LeBitch now. (No ring)
Easy there bud. The Heat have a legit chance at this thing and nobody likes eating crow. ALTHOUGH, if you're the Heat, this defeat has to be a wake up call. "Bad matchup" is no excuse.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I just don't see it happening. I don't see the Heat winning a Championship this year.... I see Boston or Chicago eliminating them from the playoffs, I anticipate them not even making the Finals this year. You're right, nobody likes being wrong and I could be totally wrong about all of this.... But I think the Miami Heat are one of the MOST over-rated teams to come along since the 2004 "Lakers Reloaded" team who subsequently lost to a more determined (ie. had more heart) Detroit Pistons team.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm no Heat fan, but let us not forget that the Bulls just a few days ago choked away a game against a worse team (with Rose missing two key free throws). Again, nothing matters until the playoffs. It's fine to hate the Heat, but all the basketball reasons for not believing them could and should be equally applied to the Bulls.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
It's fine to hate the Heat, but all the basketball reasons for not believing them could and should be equally applied to the Bulls.
Not quite. I feel the Heat's biggest weakness is their lack of depth. They've made so many small moves to improve their bench, but it hasn't worked out. Meanwhile, the Bulls might have the best bench in the league.

As for Bynum, the bottom line is he's the most talented big man in the league, but he's an idiot. I'm sorry, but he's too old and too experienced to be labeled as "immature," which is a word many writers have used to describe him. At this point, if a guy hasn't changed and grown up, he's just an idiot.

However, the scary thing is the Lakers need 3 things to happen to seriously contend:

1. Metta World Peace needs to be locked in defensively. It's the main reason they didn't use the amnesty clause on him. He needs to be the guy to guard Durant (and possibly Dirk or Luis Scola in a first round matchup, as both of those guys eat Gasol alive).

2. Kobe needs to share the load more.

3. Most importantly, Bynum needs to be dominant. There is no team in the league, outside of Orlando, that can match up with Bynum. He's a headcase, but I'm willing to ride it out because, if these 3 things happen, there's no reason they can't win the West. It's unlikely, but as a Laker fan, I'm in denial about their limitations.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't get it. How can we (the Celtics) defeat teams like Chicago & Miami and then LOSE to the motherfucking Toronto Raptors!?!? It's shit like this, that drives me NUTS about the team so far this year.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 AM
It's pretty common for the best teams to lose to the worst teams. Obviously, it doesn't happen all of the time, but a team like Toronto will play harder when they are the clear underdog.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 AM
That's true Franken, good point. It just agitates the shit outta me, really. That's all.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
I just don't see it happening. I don't see the Heat winning a Championship this year.... I see Boston or Chicago eliminating them from the playoffs, I anticipate them not even making the Finals this year. You're right, nobody likes being wrong and I could be totally wrong about all of this.... But I think the Miami Heat are one of the MOST over-rated teams to come along since the 2004 "Lakers Reloaded" team who subsequently lost to a more determined (ie. had more heart) Detroit Pistons team.
I agree that they're overrated, but they have two future HOFers in James and Wade, are playing in the less scary conference, and have improved visibly in some key areas since last year. I'm not sold on them (or anyone in what could be a thrilling playoff series), but they have more going for them than you may realize. I'm not convinced that Chicago or OKC have less to be worried about.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I agree that they're overrated, but they have two future HOFers in James and Wade, are playing in the less scary conference, and have improved visibly in some key areas since last year. I'm not sold on them (or anyone in what could be a thrilling playoff series), but they have more going for them than you may realize. I'm not convinced that Chicago or OKC have less to be worried about.
Can't rule out San Antonio either (unfortunately). I'm not denying their talent, but I don't think anyone wants to see them pricks become successful in the post-season or as Champions again this year.... Well except those in San Antonio and Spurs fans overall, of course.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Can't rule out San Antonio either (unfortunately). I'm not denying their talent, but I don't think anyone wants to see them pricks become successful in the post-season or as Champions again this year.... Well except those in San Antonio and Spurs fans overall, of course.
I dunno... I think a lot of pure basketball fans would love to see Duncan vs. KG in the finals as a swan song. Even though they're both shells of their former selves, I'd still love to see it.

Quote:
I don't get it. How can we (the Celtics) defeat teams like Chicago & Miami and then LOSE to the motherfucking Toronto Raptors!?!? It's shit like this, that drives me NUTS about the team so far this year.
It's pretty common for a veteran team to not "get up" for games about lesser opponents. That's what older teams do. They do enough to make sure they get into the playoffs (don't care about seeding or home court, because they know they can win anywhere) and they make sure to test themselves against contenders. Against lesser teams, they don't care.

Take the Spurs for example, who sat their Big 3 against the Jazz last week. Popovich said he made that decision before the season started. Why? Because they were in a tough stretch in the schedule, it was the lowly Jazz, and their next game was against the Lakers. True, a win is a win, but not to veteran teams. Pop wanted to make sure his team could perform well against LA (didn't work, but whatever) so he essentially didn't care about the Utah game.

The Celtics may not blatantly rest their players, but they have the same mentality. Get into the playoffs, use games against great teams as measuring sticks, and don't stress the other games too much.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
They're a really good team with a freaking jedi for a coach, but I don't think they'll hang with OKC, Chicago, or Miami. They'll have issues come playoff time because they're in a tough division with older talent. It won't always be obvious and they may get some convincing wins, but I don't think they'll win a championship with the kind of roster the Pistons had in 04. This is a team that acquired Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw and actually got better, but that really could change during playoff time. It figures to be a really compelling playoff season and I can't wait.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Agreed with ya both Brando and Kenshin.

Happy to see Boston redeem themselves with a W over New Jersey. Also Kobe & DHoward look to be out til the start of the Playoffs. Interesting.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Kobe will probably be back before the playoffs. Lakers/Mavericks was a stellar game. Kobe is a future coach.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM
I'd just like to say Mother Fuck the New York Knicks. (My boy Pierce scores 43, and the Knicks shoot 14 of 21 from three in the first half? WTF!)

That is all.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I know the season's not over yet, but here's who I think should win the top awards. Feel free to comment/criticize/make suggestions.

MVP: LeBron James
CotY: Gregg Popovich
DotY: Tyson Chandler
RotY: Kyrie Irving
6th man: James Harden
Most improved: Jeremy Lin
Sportsmanship: Andrew Bynum, lol
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
CotY: Gregg Popovich
Most improved: Jeremy Lin

Agree with the rest of your choices. Just a couple comments on these.

Coach of the year should be Pop. He's the best coach in the league by far. But this is the worst award in all of sports. Just look at past winners, and more importantly, past losers. Jerry Sloan never winning one destroys the credibility of this award. I'd vote for Pop, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shafted.

As for most improved, Lin will probably win, but I don't think he deserves it. Personally, I have two strong opinions about this award:

1) Voters should distinguish between a player who has actually improved, and a player who is just getting more opportunities

2) It's harder to make a leap from "good" to "great" than it is to go from "nobody" to "decent."

That said, my top two choices for this year are Andrew Bynum and Greg Monroe. Bynum has gone from a solid center to, arguably, the best center in the league (certainly the best offensively). He's more aggressive, dominates the boards, protects the rim, Meanwhile, Monroe has improved his rebounding and defense tremendously, and has become a much more efficient offensive player. He's everything you want in a young big man. I wasn't sold on him until I watched a few games (wasn't sure if he was just putting up stats on a crappy team or if he was legit) but now I fully believe in him. He's also one of the smartest, best passing big men in the league. Lin wil probably win the award because of Linsanity, but I personally don't think he should.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 04-21-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Lin wil probably win the award because of Linsanity, but I personally don't think he should.
"Most improved” was kind of a perplexing one for me. I wasn't immediately ready to go with Lin, but there weren't too many obvious choices. Monroe is a good choice, but I guess the Pistons have been under the radar for me this season. I considered Ty Lawson, but he's more of a rising star than someone who skyrocketed over the season. I also considered Luol Deng, who has become a far more useful player to his team but hasn't really improved much numbers-wise. Linsanity has died for the most part, but he did carry NY through what could've been a really rough patch that would've kept them out of the postseason. To go from doing nothing to helping your team immensely through the bad times shows an enormous improvement, IMO.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I just think the Most Improved Award is beyond stupid. All of the arguments being made here make sense, but it's way too subjective. Yeah, Monroe, made a big leap, be shouldn't all NBA players make a big leap going into their 2nd year assuming they get minutes? Same with Lin...I don't totally buy into Linsanity and never have, but isn't it possible he makes an even bigger jump next year?

Bynum makes the most sense to me because I don't think 3 years or less guys should be eligible. Mostly though I just think the award should be ditched.

Irving and Harden are obvious choices, and much as it pains me, so is Lebron. It's not a very strong MVP year and not finishing with the league's best record very much matters, but there's just not another viable candidate.

Coach of the Year is always intriguing and as has been said, almost never given to a truly worthy candidate. I think it's Doc or Pop, but Thibs will probably win it because voters are too narrow-minded and will give it to him just because Rose was out (ignoring that a Rose-less Bulls team is a very good regular season team and that there was virtually no other coaching challenge with that team).

Defensive Player is intriguing. I think Dwight finally won't win because of ill will towards him, although he hasn't been any worse this year than normal. I think Chandler has a chance, but I really think KG deserves it. I'm fine with either of those guys winning it, though. Or Tony Allen, if the voters weren't biased against guards.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
I think Dwight finally won't win because of ill will towards him
Yeah, that guy has been a piece of shit this year. Orlando is stupid to play his mind games. Their deal completely backfired. Now they don't have him for the playoffs, he announced that he wants Van Gundy fired (who the fuck does this?), and next year will just be a repeat of this year where he flips and flops back and forth on his decision and gives Orlando and its fans a sense of uncertainty throughout the entire year.

The only sensible argument that opposes mine is that Orlando could sign or trade for someone that Dwight would be happy with. First of all, you'll still have to fire Van Gundy, who is a pretty solid and respected coach. Secondly, Orlando doesn't have the pieces to make a decent trade, or the finances to outbid other clubs on guys like Williams. Thirdly, even if they did get someone good, who knows if Dwight would just bail anyway and sign with Jersey or something.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
I just think the Most Improved Award is beyond stupid. All of the arguments being made here make sense, but it's way too subjective. Yeah, Monroe, made a big leap, be shouldn't all NBA players make a big leap going into their 2nd year assuming they get minutes?
But that's the thing. I don't think Monroe's improvement is because he's getting more time. He's only playing 3 minutes more per game or so. Just watching him, he's so much better defensively, positions himself better for rebounds, and is much more aggressive on offense. He's just developed into a very, very good front court player. I mentioned him and Bynum, and the more I think about it, the more I feel it should be Bynum. If I had a vote, I'd go with him, with Monroe 2nd.

Quote:
Defensive Player is intriguing. I think Dwight finally won't win because of ill will towards him, although he hasn't been any worse this year than normal. I think Chandler has a chance, but I really think KG deserves it. I'm fine with either of those guys winning it, though. Or Tony Allen, if the voters weren't biased against guards.
Early on, I thought it was a lock for Andre Igoudala, who morphed into Scottie Pippen this year but then the Sixers fell off hard. I'd lean towards Chandler.

Also, First-Team All NBA:

C - Bynum
F - Lebron
F - Durant
G - Kobe
G - Parker

That's who I'd put on if I had a vote, NOT who I think will actually earn the distinction (I feel Howard will end up being the center, undeservedly). The hardest omission for me was Kevin Love, but as has been mentioned before, despite a pretty historic season, there are 2 forwards who are just flat out better than he is. PG is also tough. Deron Williams might be the best statistically, Rondo has been awesome, but I just think Parker has been the most consistent.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Am I the only one who feels that Durant should be the league MVP over LeBitch? I mean while I hate James, I still wouldn't be pissed if he won it.... But I think Durant is just as deserving of the award as King Nothing is.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Am I the only one who feels that Durant should be the league MVP over LeBitch? I mean while I hate James, I still wouldn't be pissed if he won it.... But I think Durant is just as deserving of the award as King Nothing is.
Durant's had a fine season but LeBron is having a really stellar season. If there's going to be an award they might as well give it to the right guy, and the right guy is clearly LeBron this year. I get the dislike for the guy, but if we're going to be objective, I don't see how anyone can come to another conclusion.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
It goes to Lebron for a few reasosn:

1. He's had to do more than Durant. Not only is Westbrook having a better season than Wade statistically, but Bosh has had his worst season... ever? Meanwhile, Durant is getting big help from Harden and great interior D from Ibaka and Perkisn.

2. Probably the biggest reason: Heat are something like 10-1 without Wade.

3. I think Lebron has more games were he compeltely eviscerated the opposing team. Games where he completely dominated every facet of the game

4. Defense. Lebron is a 1st Team All NBA defender. You could argue he is the best perimeter defender in the league (up there with Tony Allen and Igoudala) and, given his strength, he's clearly the most versatile man-to-man defender out there (watching his post D against Gasol in the 2nd Lakers/Heat game this year was just stunning).

The only cases against Lebron: people don't like him, and he already has 2.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM
As for most improved, how about Marcin Gortat? I'd say he's a top 5 center, and he started last season as Dwight's back-up in Orlando. He has more opportunities, sure, but I've seen genuine improvement as well.

Coach of the year...Doc. I'm fine with Pop, though.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Quote:

The only cases against Lebron: people don't like him, and he already has 2.
It makes me borderline nauseous that LeBitch has 1 more MVP than Kobe does.... And I'm fucking baffled how Kobe doesn't have more than ONE MVP in total too!

Anyway, yeah... I can't argue with any of your points Darth. Again, I won't be surprised or mad if he ends up winning it. I just think Durant's hadda helluva season (along with Ibaka, Harden & Westbrook) too.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
It makes me borderline nauseous that LeBitch has 1 more MVP than Kobe does.... And I'm fucking baffled how Kobe doesn't have more than ONE MVP in total too!
NBA MVP is a very baffling award. Kobe only having 1 is a travesty. So is Shaq only having 1, and even MJ only having 5 (I think he should have at least 7).

At the end of the day, there are a few factors. For starters, it's an award for the entire REGULAR season. That has two impacts: first off, Lebron's playoff failures don't come into play. And secondly, you have to play hard for an entire season (which is why Shaq only has 1: he didn't care about anything until after the all-star break). That's why Lebron is going to win so many of these awards: he's so physically superior to everyone that he can routinely go for 26-7-7 without really trying. Kobe takes games off, not from an effor standpoint (he clearly wants to win every game), but from a production standpoint. There are times where he relies on his jumper and just flat out doesn't go to the basket to avoid further punishment. Lebron doesn't have to worry about stuff like that because he's just a specimen.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Kobe takes games off, not from an effor standpoint (he clearly wants to win every game), but from a production standpoint. There are times where he relies on his jumper and just flat out doesn't go to the basket to avoid further punishment. Lebron doesn't have to worry about stuff like that because he's just a specimen.
For now, until he's forced to change his game (IF he can make the adjusment like Kobe has) due to age. He's still only what? 27 or something? Another 3-5 years of being a "specimen" and then LeBitch will HAVE to make some adjustments.

You bring up some very valid points though Darth.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
NBA MVP is a very baffling award. Kobe only having 1 is a travesty. So is Shaq only having 1, and even MJ only having 5 (I think he should have at least 7).
"Travesty" is a big stretch. Kobe and Shaq only having one MVP apiece is a bit puzzling and misleading in terms of analyzing their careers, but who would you have taken the trophy away from? Duncan earned his MVPs. Iverson not only earned his, but had one of the greatest seasons of any player I've ever seen. Even if you gave Nash's MVPs to Kobe, what about the year Kobe actually did win it, when some people thought it should've gone to Chris Paul? The MVP is about recognition, and we have numerous ways of recognizing player achievement that don't come in the form of a trophy.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Dude, fuck Medda Artest. I hope he gets a suspension that lasts into the playoffs. That was bullshit. If Harden is legit injured, OKC could be in serious trouble.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn View Post
Dude, fuck Medda Artest. I hope he gets a suspension that lasts into the playoffs. That was bullshit.
Yeah, that's one of the worst I've seen in the NBA in a while.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
The bizarre thing about the Artest play: Did he even know who he was hitting? I never saw him make eye contact with Harden. Couldn't that have easily been a teammate trying to pressure the ball in the backcourt, bump into Artest, and then get clobbered? Dude is crazy.

Definite suspension coming. Rest of regular season at least. Should go into the first round. I'm thinking minimum of 5 games.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I didn't see the Laker/Thunder game.... What'd Artest do anyway?