Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Spike, you bring up some excellent points. Initially, I really enjoyed the movie, but I didn't love it. But after reading your post, and having had time to reflect on the movie, I'm inclined to agree with everything you said. This movie was awesome and I loved it.

Also, my favorite horror movie reference in the film:

Spoiler:
The blatant Hellraiser reference. So awesome. Wish we could've seen that guy kill some people though.

Also, did anyone else think that Marty was in secret the Virgin, and that he was going to be the lone survivor because of that?

also, what I didn't like about the movie:

Spoiler:
a)the questionable CGI at the end of the film. This wasn't a huge deal, but it was a little distracting.

and b) the giant arm at the end. Just thought it looked faked and was just too cheesy.

Last edited by smok3h; 04-14-2012 at 03:34 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Spike, you bring up some excellent points. Initially, I really enjoyed the movie, but I didn't love it. But after reading your post, and having had time to reflect on the movie, I'm inclined to agree with everything you said. This movie was awesome and I loved it.

Also, my favorite horror movie reference in the film:

Spoiler:
The blatant Hellraiser reference. So awesome. Wish we could've seen that guy kill some people though.

Also, did anyone else think that Marty was in secret the Virgin, and that he was going to be the lone survivor because of that?

Spoiler:
a)the questionable CGI at the end of the film. This wasn't a huge deal, but it was a little distracting.

and b) the giant arm at the end. Just thought it looked faked and was just too cheesy.
To your first point yes, it did cross my mind that that was going to be the case. BUT...

Spoiler:
I think having anyone survive would have been a disservice to the final thematic material of the film. If we pull back for a minute, I think we can discern that in many ways the "Ancient Ones" are us, the audience members. As film watchers we demand certain things from our films. We are extremely picky and critical and can become upset by the simplest of things, and in the case of horror we have come to except the stock characters, the order in which they die, the extreme violence, the nightmare creatures - and so the film had to end by not delivering to us exactly what we wanted (we have come to expect there to be at least one survivor, hence the "survivor girl" theory that other films like Leslie Vernon have honed in on) because it wants us, as an audience, to think bigger from now on and I think it wants other filmmakers to think bigger. Don't just give the audience what they want. Go farther. Be bold. Be fucking audacious. And if you have to end the whole damn world because of it, so be it. Marty was totally awesome, though.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Spoiler:
The number of horror references is what I loved the most. Like someone mentioned, you have a clear Hellraiser reference, I saw a The Strangers reference, The Grudge/The Ring. What did everyone else catch?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah I could of done without the big CGI snake and the cgi bat.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Spoiler:
The number of horror references is what I loved the most. Like someone mentioned, you have a clear Hellraiser reference, I saw a The Strangers reference, The Grudge/The Ring. What did everyone else catch?
As for references, here are some that I saw:

Spoiler:
The twin girls from The Shining -- you can see them when the camera zooms away showing all the compartments while Marty and Dana are in the elevator. Somebody else mentioned the molesting tree from Evil Dead, but I totally missed that.

A question I have for anyone with sharp eyes:

Spoiler:
When they showed the monitors during the monster mayhem, there was one with the intern holding up a sign. Anybody have a chance to read what it said?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
139 positive to 11 negative right now on Rotten Tomatoes... WOW. I'll def. be looking for this once it hits dvd...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Saw it Saturday night.....I loved it! My girlfriend ended up liking it even more than I did! Very good flick, will probably catch again at the theaters

Spoiler:
The Unicorn kill was fucking awesome! He "double tapped" dude with the horn to make sure he killed him! That had me rolling!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM
A ridiculously entertaining funhouse of horror. It just got better and better as the movie went on. The cast was universally good, the pacing effortless and the whole concept was just refreshing in a way horror films haven't been in years. I honestly don't have any major qualms at all. I personally loved the ending and the finale shot put of huge smile on my face.
Once that final 30 minutes kicked in, I was in pure cinema ecstasy. When the big elevator reveal happened
Spoiler:
When all the monsters fucked up the swat team
I said to myself: "I love this movie!"

I haven't been this purely entertained by a horror movie since Trick R Treat (which also got the shaft hardcore) finally came out on DVD.

9/10
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 AM
I am not a Horror fan boy (not that any of you are, just putting it out there) but this movie had such a stigma around it that I had to go out to see it. Especially after the box office report by Joblo today, in the talk backs under the report some ass hat let loose a minor spoiler that really pissed me off as i wanted to see this movie blind

Spoiler:
He mentioned the end of the world aspect to the story

obviously you cant discuss this movie without spoilers, so here goes:

Spoiler:
I really liked this movie, the cabin story began in the way you would expect, 5 stereotypes heading to a cabin in the woods as the case may be! I like that it started with Whitford & Jenkins, it set the mystery of the story really early, and the bird hitting the force field was pretty awesome. Even as the story progressed and more answers were given, only to give more questions! The betting scene was hilarious and really that is just the writing of this movie, the writing of this movie was pretty spot on, not corny, not cliche'd just damn hilarious and well written!

As the story progressed, even knowing that there was an end of the world scenario playing out, I had no fucking idea what was going on! And then we get to the 3rd act with the elevator and you are just like "Holy Fuck"! Just gory beyond belief and cool shit throughout. I agree with some that wished there was no giant snake or the cornier creatures. The Unicorn death was awesome though!

Also, was I the only one who when the Voice came over the loud speaker, was saying to them self "That sounds like Sigourney Weaver" and then when she was revealed as "The Director" I was like "Damn, Im good"!

And of course the controversial ending... i think it was needed, how else could they have shown the Gods coming forward? You don't show it, you have no finite ending, and this movie needed a finite ending! This aint Inception, we needed to see the ENDING of this movie!

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie and it is unlike anything I have seen before

I should also note that I am not a "Whedonite"! In that, I think before this movie the most I had ever seen from this dude were the episodes of Roseanne he wrote! (Granted, I love Roseanne)! I never watched Firefly, nor saw Serenity, never watched Buffy or it's spin off Angel. I was looking forward to The Avengers, but really any director could be at the helm of that and I'd be excited! But after this movie, if that is how the dude writes, I may have to check out his oeuvre!

Oh shit, I take that back, I am lookin at his IMDB and dude was Nominated for an Oscar for his Toy Story screenplay!

I guess his more Sci Fi projects are the ones that are the ones he is known for and those are the ones I never saw!

Last edited by SkyNet; 04-16-2012 at 05:35 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
This is the best movie I've seen this yr so far. I laughed, I was actually scared at one point ( which pissed me off cuz it's a scene where we hate the directors trying to scare for instead of monsters) and I got in on the joke.

As much as people disagree on the ending ...if it didn't come out the way it did I wouldn't have loved this as much .

Spoiler:
When I saw the human-like hand come out I realized the entire movie of a love/hate letter to us....the horror fans and it was mocking us for wanting the same shit all the god-damn time

It clicked even more that during a certain scene near the end of the flick Marty says " well maybe it's time for a change".

Truer words haven't been spoken...

10/10
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I was left dumbfounded for two days after watching this film just trying to process everything. When I walked out of the theater I kept saying to myself WTF and what the hell did I just watch.

I haven't felt that way after a film in years.

I loved how original it was, in a day and age when everything is based on something else or a ripoff, the fact that this was a stand alone film made it worth it.

I didn't love it as much as most of you, there were too many faults for my personal taste, but it's certainly worth seeing.

Full review - http://bit.ly/JrmChc
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM
The plot of the new horror film from the mind of Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard is as simple as it gets. Five college kids go to a cabin to hang out, and some horrific things happen. But, while the story is pretty simple, the film is anything but. It’s a true celebration of horror films, with a dedication and love for why viewers go to see this films, and how the future is always in need of one good shake up of the genre.

Whedon and Goddard take the formula of horror to the purest and basic formula in the opening act, allowing for the audience to know the players in the game and enjoy their company. From there, there’s a steady control of tempering with the audience’s expectations, like a child’s first magic show that seem to know the strings, but are soon introduce to another piece that bewilders, yet fascinates them. Then, once the rabbit is out of the hat, Whedon and Goddard let the magic of horror films run wild, going to unexpected and fascinating places for the genre until they culminate to one joyous final bow before the credits appear.

But, the real joy of this film is the subtle thematic elements that play into account of the film. There’s a story that has enough layers to the first and final act, but audiences can come away with some great commentary of the horror genre and its current place in this Hollywood day and age. It’s no Scream, where the aspects of the “slasher” genre are laid out for the viewers to observe and chuckle at, but rather in a more subdued fashion where it flows with the film’s plot.

The cast certainly knows what sort of magic is being created, as they all handled their parts excellently. But, the directing talents of newcomer Drew Goddard are the key to handle the actors and script. He knows how to blend the horror and comedic moments so that one never overwhelms the other, allowing both moods to settle comfortably with one another.

The Cabin in the Woods is a horror film that knows how to grab genre fans, shake them up, and let them go before they ruin a good thing. Director Drew Goddard and co-writer Joss Whedon love what horror brings to the table, and wants to share that love with anyone that is interested to what they have to say.

9.5/10
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 PM
This has got to be one of the sickest horror movies to come out in the last few years!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 AM
I really like the idea behind this movie but, alas, I found it lacking execution. I just thought they over did it in the third act. It just got a little too silly for me. Some questions that they sort of ask but never bother answering too such as:

Spoiler:
They briefly mention how they have a bunch of things set up as kind of a scary warning. The creepy old guy at the gas station for starters. It's up to them, the kids, to decide to go to the cabin anyways, to go down to the basement after the door creepily pops up, to read from the diary, etc. There is SOME free will to this. That's what they say. But then later in the movie, the 4 or 5 people HAVE to be sacrificed to satisfy the gods. Well, what in that case then what happens if the kids decided to turn around and not go to the cabin after their encounter with the creepy gas station guy? What if they DON'T go in the basement and DON'T read the diary? What then? Do the gods change their mind and they don't have to be sacrificed? Do they pick other kids?

There are some cool ideas in this movie and I have really enjoyed reading people's thoughts about the many themes in the movie. But the sad truth is that this is a movie that is more fun to talk about than it is to actually watch.

6/10
Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Richard Jenkins is by far the best thing in this movie.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post

Richard Jenkins is by far the best thing in this movie.
I wouldn't count out Bradley Whitford (for me, at least.) He had as many quality moments as Jenkins.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
I wouldn't count out Bradley Whitford (for me, at least.) He had as many quality moments as Jenkins.
Best scene in the movie is when he FINALLY gets to see his mer-man!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
They're both hilarious, I think i'm just predisposed to fucking adore Jenkins in whatever he does.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
"Tequila is my LADY!"
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I really like the idea behind this movie but, alas, I found it lacking execution. I just thought they over did it in the third act. It just got a little too silly for me. Some questions that they sort of ask but never bother answering too such as:

Spoiler:
They briefly mention how they have a bunch of things set up as kind of a scary warning. The creepy old guy at the gas station for starters. It's up to them, the kids, to decide to go to the cabin anyways, to go down to the basement after the door creepily pops up, to read from the diary, etc. There is SOME free will to this. That's what they say. But then later in the movie, the 4 or 5 people HAVE to be sacrificed to satisfy the gods. Well, what in that case then what happens if the kids decided to turn around and not go to the cabin after their encounter with the creepy gas station guy? What if they DON'T go in the basement and DON'T read the diary? What then? Do the gods change their mind and they don't have to be sacrificed? Do they pick other kids?

There are some cool ideas in this movie and I have really enjoyed reading people's thoughts about the many themes in the movie. But the sad truth is that this is a movie that is more fun to talk about than it is to actually watch.

6/10

To answer the question in your spoiler tag, The whole point the movie was trying to make is that characters in a majority of horror films always make those types of decisions. It was a critique of modern and past horror movies, just like Whedon said, "a loving hate letter to horror."

I loved this flick. It was hilarious and offered a unique experience unlike any horror film I've ever watched. A well deserved 9/10
Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
To answer the question in your spoiler tag, The whole point the movie was trying to make is that characters in a majority of horror films always make those types of decisions. It was a critique of modern and past horror movies, just like Whedon said, "a loving hate letter to horror."
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just thought it was a cool question that they never bother answering.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just thought it was a cool question that they never bother answering.
The question would only really be relevant if they had turned around.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
That's the point though, the question isn't relevant to this movie and its goals at all. The characters themselves weren't the typical 2 dimensional stock horror movie characters you see in your average slasher, but their motives and actions were still governed to fit those stereotypes. The reason for that is because the writers were trying to communicate the idea that audiences don't want to watch unique and open minded characters make smart and educated decisions in a horror movie, they prefer the same regurgitated formula over and over. The writers couldn't hammer that point home if they allowed their characters to make intelligent decisions like turning around. It wouldn't make sense for them to ask that question because it would completely counter the entire point of the film.

It makes more sense, regarding the writers intent to criticize the horror genre, to say free will doesn't exist in horror movies. Yeah, they could turn around, but they never will because that never happens in a horror movie. It's a guarantee.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 04-18-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Some questions that they sort of ask but never bother answering too such as:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I thought that they did address this. Which is why it happens all over the world. If the kids got scared by the creepy old guy there was always Japan. They always win. Towards the end all the monsters all over the world had been defeated, and that's why it all rested on the American kids' shoulders.

Last edited by Silverload; 04-18-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Spoiler:
I thought that they did address this. Which is why it happens all over the world. If the kids got scared by the creepy old guy there was always Japan. They always win. Towards the end all the monsters all over the world had been defeated, and that's why it all rested on the American kids' shoulders.
Exactly right.

I loved this movie, btw 9.5/10
Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I just saw the film. I don't even know what to say. I'm floored. As many others have said, the less you know about it the better. It is a brilliant, clever, and exceedingly witty comment on the entire horror genre.

9/10
Joss Whedon is simply brilliant. Now, the rest of the world is figuring it out.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Joss Whedon's movie work is much better than his television work. I haven't liked ANY of his television shows, except for Doll House which I haven't seen. But Buffy, Angel, Firefly are all overrated as hell. On the other hand, his movie credits, which includes the likes of Toy Story, Titan A.E. and the underrated Alien: Resurrection, isn't so bad. Looking forward very much to The Avengers too, of course!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Murph on this one. Buffy, Angel, and Firefly are some of the most fun and thematically dense television of the past 20 years. But to each their own!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree with the main sentiments here. I was super stoked for this to come out and I definitely wasn't let down. It's insane and awesome at the same time and left me wanting to watch it again and again. It's a rare things to say that but I wholeheartedly believe it. WATCH CABIN IN THE WOODS.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Just came back from it. Holy shit. It's solid, obviously the best parts come towards the last act no doubt about it. However, it's entertaining throughout.

9/10
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 AM
This movie fucking left me ....the last 20 minutes were amazing.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Oh, this was just wonderful.

10/10
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM
The Cabin in the Woods starts off with the basic horror plot,college age group heads to a cabin for fun times,meet a creepy guy along the way.He says some cryptic stuff about the cabin...blah blah blah.I should have know TCITW would be anything but basic with Joss Whedon as a co writer.
With it's plot twists,and unique turns TCITW is entertaining and then some.
The last half reminded me of some of my horror favorites like Wax Work,Phantasm and The Evil Dead.
Director Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon provide so much the film gets a bit jumbled towards the end,but that doesnt stop it from being a fun and involving film.In fact its so involving ,when the character Marty Mikalski (Fran Kranz ) talks about a wish he has ,i found myself saying me too man!!
Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM

I guess I am the first to say that I thought this movie was a piece of shit; pretty stupid and not even barely enjoyable. Yeah, I got the messages from it; but if you're gonna make some pseudo-insightful comments; at least have the capsule where it is contained within, be good.

2/10
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Finally seeing this tomorrow!!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Saw this at a drive-in with booze, pot, pizza, and two girls. I did it nice and proper like.

I had a blast. The movie delivered the goods. I loved how they modeled the cabin after the one in the Evil Dead right down to the entrance of the basement. The movie was full of those nice touches mixed in with the great gags.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Spoiler:
Am I the only one who thought the whole "sacrifice to the Ancients was tipped off in the first 30 seconds with...oh, i dont know, all the images of human sacrifice to the ancient gods all throguh the opening credits?!? I mean, you have images of sacrifice, then go right into two guys in a control room talking about setting up this "ritual". I mean, there was no leap that all this was a sacrificial ritual. And if its worldwide, it had to be a long standing tradition. I dont know. I saw it all coming except the managerie. that was a nice twist and made for a fun ending. I still love the movie, but there was no big shocker reveal other than the elevator ride.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Just came back. Had a blast! Was very entertained, laughed at the fool, and I like that it makes you think a bit you know? That's refreshing to see in a horror film, and one that uses others to do that knows its shit. Happy for Joss Whedon, he's gonna have a helluva year.

8/10
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I caught this 3 times so far, and it really doesn't diminish in quality over repeat viewings. Everything works to its advantage, you catch a funny moment or two that you missed, as well as....
Spoiler:
seeing another awesome moment in that crazy final act!

this will certainly be on my top 10 of 2012, without question.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Just got back from seeing this and thought it was great/very entertaining. I loved all the numerous horror references and the last 20-30 minutes were incredible. I wouldn't mind a prequel to fill in some of the gaps but overall it was awesome. 9/10