Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Bill Maher bashes stay at home moms

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews

Quote:
Bill Maher is facing bipartisan criticism -- most recently from one of President Obama's former top advisers -- for controversial comments he made last week about Mitt Romney's wife.

Maher, while a comedian, has endured a surge of political scrutiny since donating $1 million to the super PAC supporting President Obama.

He got himself into trouble Friday when, on his HBO show "Real Time," he ratcheted up a comment made earlier in the week by Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen. Rosen had said Ann Romney "never worked a day in her life," and later apologized under pressure from top Democrats.

Maher, though, took Rosen's comments a step further.

"What she meant to say, I think, was that Ann Romney has never gotten her ass out of the house to work," Maher said.

Republicans have used the incident to once again pressure the super PAC Priorities USA to return the Maher donation -- or at least condemn the comments. Supporters of both Obama and the presumptive GOP nominee have worked feverishly over the past several weeks to appeal to women, and portray the other side as inconsiderate toward those voters.

Maher's remarks fed that fire.

"Bill Maher's degrading comments on Ann Romney not easily dismissed -- he's a $1m donor to Priorities USA," Mitt Romney confidante Eric Fehrnstrom tweeted.

But Obama's former domestic policy adviser also voiced concerns on Sunday.

"You know, the language, the sentiment are problematic," Melody Barnes said on ABC's "This Week" when asked whether the president needs to distance himself from the comments. "And the campaign has -- and the president has said, look, the civility ... it matters. The way we talk to each other matters. And they're going to have to, as you said, make a decision."

Priorities USA co-founder Bill Burton previously has dismissed concerns about Maher's comments -- particularly when his criticism of Sarah Palin came up amid the backlash last month over Rush Limbaugh's degrading comments about a college student who testified on contraception coverage. Maher said in an interview at the time that it's "crazy" to suggest any "equivalence" between comments by a comedian like Maher and comments by Limbaugh.

A representative from Priorities USA has not returned a request for comment from FoxNews.com.

Republicans directed their latest Maher complaints directly at Burton.

Republican National Committee spokesman Sean Spicer took to Twitter to ask him: "now that Maher is on the attack against women again, dont u finally think u have to give the million back?"

Maher on Friday elaborated a bit on his Ann Romney remarks.

"No one is denying that being a mother is a tough job; I remember I was a handful," he said. "But you know there is a big difference between being a mother, and that tough job, and getting your ass out the door at 7 a.m. when it's cold, having to deal with the boss, being in a workplace, or even if you're unhappy you can't show it for eight hours."

Maher complained on the show, and earlier in a New York Times column, that both sides of the aisle have been manufacturing political controversies.

"If it weren't for throwing conniption fits, we wouldn't get any exercise at all," he wrote in the Times column in March. "I have a better idea. Let's have an amnesty -- from the left and the right -- on every made-up, fake, totally insincere, play-acted hurt, insult, slight and affront."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1sF52Lgt5
Forget all that crap with Obama, it is more than clear that Bill Maher has no respect for stay at home moms. I just hate this man.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
"The war on women" continues.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Actually...

Bill Maher has no respect for rich, out of touch, clueless white women who think they're Olivia Walton because they let their staff raise a bunch of kids.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Bill Maher has no respect for women

There, fixed your statement so it is now correct. If you can not see that he has no respect for women in general, but especially conservative women, then your mother needs to smack you a few times to get the point across.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I have no idea if there is any truth to what Mahr said but I personally don't care. I think this whole thing is a huge reason why politics suck so much. Instead of being focused on Romney's policies and what he plans to do as President, if elected, it's this shit. Let's gain on his wife. A great shining example of what's wrong with politics today.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
No, Buck was right the first time. It's hard to feel sympathetic for somone who's so filthy rich they've never had to work a day in their life (raising children, notwithstanding... which is becoming less of a need anyway, considering there are now over 7 BILLION people on this planet ).

Anyway, Bill, stick with bashing religion, since that's what you do best and most accurately.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Bill Maher has no respect for rich, out of touch, clueless white women who think they're Olivia Walton because they let their staff raise a bunch of kids.
Maher is a sexist prick, though.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Keep reading this as Bill Murray bashes stay at home moms and getting confused.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Well this guy doesnt like stay at home mums
Who cares
if this is all he can do to make people laugh he is a fool and should get another job shoveling shit

Then everyone would not go near him or his jokes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I watched the episode and remember this... he was not bashing stay at home moms. He said numerous times its a tough job. He was mainly stating that many women dont get the luxury of being stay at home moms, that they have to work all day and then come home and still do all the same things they get to do during the day.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 AM
True enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
And, generally, something of a dumbass who I hate to have to agree with.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Maher's a misogynistic atheist. My kind of guy! (Seriously).
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Bill Maher is a fucking legend. You can read his exact quote and see to what he is referring. Saying that he is a misogynist is not only misinformed it's a sweeping desperate statement to bring down an intelligent liberal who dedicates his efforts to brining injustices to light. He's about as far from a misogynist as you can get.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Bill Maher is a fucking legend. You can read his exact quote and see to what he is referring. Saying that he is a misogynist is not only misinformed it's a sweeping desperate statement to bring down an intelligent liberal who dedicates his efforts to brining injustices to light. He's about as far from a misogynist as you can get.
I know, I was being a bit facetious.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
He mocked a man who was killed in a horrible accident, not giving a shit about the man's family who'd see it.

Defend him if you want, he's a douchebag with a public platform and a right to say (and do, apparently) what he wants, no matter who he offends or hurts.

If he mocked someone I lost and I ran into this guy, I'd be the new Internet meme of the guy who gave Bill Maher that lump on his head.

Used to watch his show every week.
Now, he can blow me.
MY mother was a stay at home mom until she went out and busted her ass to raise me and my other siblings.

Douchebag.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't think anyone (man or woman) should stay at home if they live in the U.S. Otherwise they'd be drawn to the idiot-box, watch mindless afternoon television on Faux News and become as useless and fucked up as Ann Romney.

This thread has officially become "political"
Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Maher is generally a sexist douchebag who I can't stand...

But I think I actually agree with him on this one.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Maher is a legend.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Lol, I agree with everything said in that video and I consider myself somewhat of a feminist. I believe that men and women deserve equal rights...if they earn them. The human should have to earn respect for oneself, rather than a collective gender having more or less than the other. That's basically what he was trying to get across. Sure, he made some statements near the end about man being the reason why we're here, but it's true. As he himself stated in the video, if a woman got up and said that everyone would be applauding the "brilliance" of the comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
He mocked a man who was killed in a horrible accident, not giving a shit about the man's family who'd see it.

Defend him if you want, he's a douchebag with a public platform and a right to say (and do, apparently) what he wants, no matter who he offends or hurts.

If he mocked someone I lost and I ran into this guy, I'd be the new Internet meme of the guy who gave Bill Maher that lump on his head.

Used to watch his show every week.
Now, he can blow me.
MY mother was a stay at home mom until she went out and busted her ass to raise me and my other siblings.

Douchebag.
...So? He, as a racy comedian made a borderline offensive joke at a Halloween party of some sort? Who would'a guessed!? I'm a huge fan of Steve Irwin, and was practically raised on his show. I watched that religiously! I felt terrible when I heard of his death and I really do sympathize with his family. With that said, I've told my fair share of Iriwin jokes and have laughed at a good deal more of them. There were even a couple quips on the show mocking how prone he was to dangers from his job (in one episode he wakes up on a hospital bed with literally nothing left of him but his head). It's like playing an extreme sport: one knows the dangers that they're getting into, so is it really that great of a surprise when something happens? Yes, it is sad, but that is just something that the person was very well aware could happen. Steve had a great sense of humour about things and I'm sure that he could get jokes dealing with the incident. People lawl'd at the Steve Irwin jokes on South Park a week or two after he died, yet Maher's joke is too far? I don't see how this even applies or makes him a "douchebag."

Bottom line: This is why I hate politics and morals in general.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Lol, I agree with everything said in that video and I consider myself somewhat of a feminist. I believe that men and women deserve equal rights...if they earn them. The human should have to earn respect for oneself, rather than a collective gender having more or less than the other. That's basically what he was trying to get across. Sure, he made some statements near the end about man being the reason why we're here, but it's true. As he himself stated in the video, if a woman got up and said that everyone would be applauding the "brilliance" of the comment.

...So? He, as a racy comedian made a borderline offensive joke at a Halloween party of some sort? Who would'a guessed!? I'm a huge fan of Steve Irwin, and was practically raised on his show. I watched that religiously! I felt terrible when I heard of his death and I really do sympathize with his family. With that said, I've told my fair share of Iriwin jokes and have laughed at a good deal more of them. There were even a couple quips on the show mocking how prone he was to dangers from his job (in one episode he wakes up on a hospital bed with literally nothing left of him but his head). It's like playing an extreme sport: one knows the dangers that they're getting into, so is it really that great of a surprise when something happens? Yes, it is sad, but that is just something that the person was very well aware could happen. Steve had a great sense of humour about things and I'm sure that he could get jokes dealing with the incident. People lawl'd at the Steve Irwin jokes on South Park a week or two after he died, yet Maher's joke is too far? I don't see how this even applies or makes him a "douchebag."

Bottom line: This is why I hate politics and morals in general.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Keep reading this as Bill Murray bashes stay at home moms and getting confused.
Me too.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM
This is such a load of bullshit. No one has bashed the concept of stay at home moms.

What both Rosen and Maher were clearly referring to was the fact that Ann Romney has no idea what it is like to actually have to support a family and worry about things like paying bills, health insurance, etc.

And, sure, being a stay at home mom may be hard work, but let's not get carried away. It's not like getting up at 3 AM to work a shift running a garbage truck, or work a day as a farmhand bending over and picking fruit all day in the sweltering heat, or a social working dealing with special needs kids all fucking day.

If you can afford to be a stay at home mom (or dad), then you are probably doing okay. This is not reality of most people.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
This is such a load of bullshit. No one has bashed the concept of stay at home moms.

What both Rosen and Maher were clearly referring to was the fact that Ann Romney has no idea what it is like to actually have to support a family and worry about things like paying bills, health insurance, etc.

And, sure, being a stay at home mom may be hard work, but let's not get carried away. It's not like getting up at 3 AM to work a shift running a garbage truck, or work a day as a farmhand bending over and picking fruit all day in the sweltering heat, or a social working dealing with special needs kids all fucking day.

If you can afford to be a stay at home mom (or dad), then you are probably doing okay. This is not reality of most people.
Typically trenchant and wise words from my friend, the savvy Mr. B
Old 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Typically trenchant and wise words from my friend, the savvy Mr. B
Yeah. I always thought it was awesome that Paul Giamatti posts on this board. He's a cool guy. And he loves to bend some ham.

This whole thing's just a big stink out of nothing. Case closed.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
So....someone doesn't like what a comedian said?

Last edited by Exophrine; 04-17-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post
I watched the episode and remember this... he was not bashing stay at home moms. He said numerous times its a tough job. He was mainly stating that many women dont get the luxury of being stay at home moms, that they have to work all day and then come home and still do all the same things they get to do during the day.
Well that is true alot of mums out there have to work very hard at there job and then come home and clean cook and look after the children

Sometimes the husbands or boyfreinds will help out but most of the time men sit while a woman is racing around

But things are changing where a man will help

it is sad a woman can not stay at home and look after house and chlidren because if a woman does not help out you dont have nothing to a certain point
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Maher is an idiot, but honestly it isn't anything I don't expect from him. My thing is so what if Ann Romney is well off enough not to work, that's the way life is. Get a job if your bitching about money, I would love in the future to be able to have a good enough job where my future wife if she wants could choose to stay home with kids instead of work. There is nothing wrong with being successful, Obama is the ultra wealthy just like Mitt Romney that is the way it is now you need money to run for President, I don't hate them for being successful like some of you seem to, I hope I can be just as successful.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Get a job if your bitching about money
Point... missed. These people DO have jobs. Also, it should be "you're."
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Point... missed. These people DO have jobs. Also, it should be "you're."
Thank you for the grammar fix I really appreciate it. But I guess I did not make myself clear, it is not wrong to have money and therefore they should not be criticized for having money. If you want money work hard and maybe you will become rich and maybe you won't some people have more luck than others, but you should not be waiting for a handout or criticizing others for what they have. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Thank you for the grammar fix I really appreciate it. But I guess I did not make myself clear, it is not wrong to have money and therefore they should not be criticized for having money. If you want money work hard and maybe you will become rich and maybe you won't some people have more luck than others, but you should not be waiting for a handout or criticizing others for what they have. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
I get it, I really do. I work full time and do freelance videography and I still have trouble making rent. Unfortunately I chose a career that simply does not pay well. It's listed in the top 10 most stressful jobs but the average pay is around 30k a year. The work hard, get paid well, thing is great and all, but the point that others are trying to make is that Ann Romney didn't work hard for the abundance of wealth she has.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
I get it, I really do. I work full time and do freelance videography and I still have trouble making rent. Unfortunately I chose a career that simply does not pay well. It's listed in the top 10 most stressful jobs but the average pay is around 30k a year. The work hard, get paid well, thing is great and all, but the point that others are trying to make is that Ann Romney didn't work hard for the abundance of wealth she has.
I do respect that of course and I respect the fact that you work hard and don't expect people to do everything for you. What I mean is Ann Romney is getting attacked because she is the wife of a Republican candidate, when there are plenty of women in the Democratic party who are stay at home moms as well. I do understand that this is what happens when you step into the public spotlight.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
I do respect that of course and I respect the fact that you work hard and don't expect people to do everything for you. What I mean is Ann Romney is getting attacked because she is the wife of a Republican candidate, when there are plenty of women in the Democratic party who are stay at home moms as well. I do understand that this is what happens when you step into the public spotlight.
I think both parties are bursting at the seams with scum. The Us vs. Them mentality that has taken over our political system is really sickening, and destroying the country. I'd hope that the focus would be more on sympathizing with mothers who are working one or more jobs and still finding time to raise their children, but a lot of people are on the attack. Due to the economy, tensions are running high and people are starting to get sick of the wealth gap.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
I think both parties are bursting at the seams with scum. The Us vs. Them mentality that has taken over our political system is really sickening, and destroying the country. I'd hope that the focus would be more on sympathizing with mothers who are working one or more jobs and still finding time to raise their children, but a lot of people are on the attack. Due to the economy, tensions are running high and people are starting to get sick of the wealth gap.
This I completely agree with.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 AM
They Ann Romney criticism didn't come out of the blue. It was a response to her comparing herself to stay at home moms everywhere, when everyone knows darn well that her situation is mostly incomparable.

What I do think is ridiculous is what's been said - It boggles me that stay-at-home moms are the new subjects for political correct speech. I think it's just so out of the blue because the current debate seems to be ignoring decades of socially accepted progressions in equal rights for women. The feminist manifesto in the 70s sent women to work and said they needed to break away from that housewife persona, and we all accepted this for a long time, and suddenly out of nowhere, staying home and raising kids is the same thing as working for the man. Sorry, no -- we've clearly established that wife's role isn't to solely work for the man (in this case being the husband/breadwinner). Isn't that what makes women equal?

And yes --- Being a mom IS a "job", but this whole thing has turned into semantics on what we call a job and it's just a bunch of political bullshit. Everyone knows what the other person means but is to proud to acknowledge it. No one was bashing Ann Romney for being a stay at home mom, they were bashing her for comparing her situation to that of 99% of working moms. There is hardly a comparison there and she was an idiot for trying to make one -- for trying to be "down" with all the regular moms. It was pandering at its worst, and even worse because she's not even the candidate.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 04-19-2012 at 01:39 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Postmaster has the right of it, the long and short of it, the thin and fat of it, the black and motherfuckin' white of it. So that said, can this manufactured outrage finally suck the dick it so richly deserves? Awesome. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post

^This is what you would get if Richard Gere had been born and grown up with Down Syndrome. Seriously, it's scary.

And yes, Maher is a douchebag in the extreme; and a sniveling one at that.

I couldn't care less about the Romneys or the Obamas of the world though. All the same statist pond scum to me.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I love it how people who always bitch about political correctness are the first ones to jump all over someone when something disagreeable is said. This is such a sensitive country.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Wait. Stay-at-home moms still exist? Someone better warn the republicans about this. Their harsh, unrealistic economic policies are clearly not harsh and unrealistic enough.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Bill Maher is officially the biggest A-Hole on the planet earth.

That is all.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM
This whole thing is just stupid. It amazes me how we as a country attack everyone else over comments they make, Ann Romney's or Bill Maher's. This country is going through hell and the best thing we can come up with is that Ann Romney made a comment comparing herself to stay at home moms? Sad, just sad.

I think it is great if one part of the couple wants to stay home and raise the kids. Give them a head start for school. This country lacks family values and respect for really anything anymore. This is not to say that the views of someone else are correct, just that at the end of the day family should be the most important thing in your life.