#1  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Battleship

I'm in Thailand right now, i saw this yesterday, horrible horrible movie. Nothing original, not one scene.

Spoilers*****

The aliens were never trying to hurt us, they just wanted to destroy our weapons? This was proven multiple times, like the scene with the baseball kid, they were peaceful creatures, and we just killed them for being there?!?

Really light... light... yet the first time we see an alien under the armor they carry him out into the light and he's fine?

Rihanna is the only female in the Navy?

So the guy who is about to be kicked out of the navy suddenly is promoted to captain? Wouldn't every single living person on the ship be outranked than him?

Was there one scene without camera glare?

The first scene and the last scene were obviously filmed at the same time, I don't see how (unless they cut a lot out) Liam Neeson could have shot more than 2 days. His character has less than 3-4 mins screen time.

At around half way i left the theater and took a shit, i stood there after watching it float in the bowl... that was more fun than this movie.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Yeah I'm passing on this shit. Looks like a terrible movie and I've read some of the reviews which have all been negative.

Could this be another huge bomb for Taylor Kitsch?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Yeah I'm passing on this shit. Looks like a terrible movie and I've read some of the reviews which have all been negative.

Could this be another huge bomb for Taylor Kitsch?
Have to wonder what Kitsch is thinking taking two movies that were bound to flop. I mean did any of us actually expect Battlship or John Carter to break records? He's really not that horrible of an actor and I liked him in Friday Night Lights, but jesus man at least read the script before you say yes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
I doubt it will flop. It's already doing very well overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, there isn't any chance of this film being a flop. It'll make alot of money because there are alot of idiots out there that will see it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
This may or may not be another bomb for Taylor Kitsch. And this may be bad, but I don't care what anyone else says: John Carter was awesome! Carter is my second favorite movie of 2012 and it rules!

This movie, on the other hand, does sound pretty bad. A shame too because Peter Berg is actually a pretty decent director.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
This movie, on the other hand, does sound pretty bad. A shame too because Peter Berg is actually a pretty decent director.
Wasn't Peter Berg, at some point or another, slated to do a big screen remake of Frank Herbert's Dune? I seem to recall something about him and the project a couple years back. If so, he should have gone with that instead of this crap. If not, then my bad. Either way, Battleship looks like a big waste of money to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 AM
I believe you are correct about him at one point slated to do a Dune movie. I was glad though when he came off it. Probably because of how I hated the David Lynch flick from the 80's.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 AM
I saw it too already. I thought it was not that bad. If you liked Transformers you probably will like Battleship too.


****************minor spoilers**************

Yeah I don't understand why those aliens only attack when being threatened. They obviously saw the battleships were armed and had the means to destroy them.
On the other hand, those cops on the island were immediately killed while they didn't pose a threath to them.
Anyway, if you ignore the many plotholes, it's an enjoyable movie.
The cgi and the battle scenes are well done, except for the alien faces.
Liam Neeson is more present in the trailer then in the actual movie, too bad.
I liked the way how they integrated the game battleship into the movie.

6/10

Last edited by Spidey; 04-16-2012 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
good to know! i saw the trailer and i suspected something like that, glad i didn't watch it yet!!


_______________
see u in world of battleships

Last edited by dejaz; 05-02-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Didn't even know this was coming out already, doubt I'd even spend the $1 to rent it at RedBox.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Give "Game of Life" to Michael Bay and it's gonna be better.

I hope there's at least 1 line in the movie that says " I sunk your battleship!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I had a feeling Battleship would be a solid movie, because I have faith in Peter Berg, and I was not disappointed. 7/10

After watching this I would love it if Berg was given the reigns to direct the Halo movie.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I saw it too already. I thought it was not that bad. If you liked Transformers you probably will like Battleship too.


****************minor spoilers**************

Yeah I don't understand why those aliens only attack when being threatened. They obviously saw the battleships were armed and had the means to destroy them.
On the other hand, those cops on the island were immediately killed while they didn't pose a threath to them.
Anyway, if you ignore the many plotholes, it's an enjoyable movie.
The cgi and the battle scenes are well done, except for the alien faces.
Liam Neeson is more present in the trailer then in the actual movie, too bad.
I liked the way how they integrated the game battleship into the movie.

6/10
I was confused as well as to why the aliens couldn't tell an obvious threat when they saw one. Made me think they had a different agenda, that their intentions were misunderstood, and that they weren't 100% bad.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
If you liked Transformers you probably will like Battleship too.
I LOVE the Transformers movies and I thought Battleship was a piece of shit.

Best scene in the entire movie involves a burrito...

2/10
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Battleship looks like a SyFy mega expensive original movie but still crappy.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Crap film? Damn, there goes the sequel...

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
I did like this movie. Started off really slow but it ended well. The use of the Batteship at the end with the veterans was a good one! Can't wait to see this on my LED tv!

My website: KŲpa Silver
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I doubt it will flop. It's already doing very well overseas.
nvm, this is totally going to flop.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Any theories how a species that can't see shit in sunlight is still able to be the dominant species of an entire planet?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM
My wife was traveling overseas and saw Battleship. She said it was better than Avengers. She did not like Avengers and thought it was very boring in the beginning. I did not see either yet.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
This was a piece of shit. Nevermind the fact that it may "know" what it "is" - it's a piece of shit and Berg slid way down in quality, he used to make at least watchable and decent films.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
This was a piece of shit.
I'm surprised no one called it BATTLESHIT yet
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I'm surprised no one called it BATTLESHIT yet
Back about 2 weeks in the What films did you watch thread.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Crap film? Damn, there goes the sequel...

i lol'd

that would be the perfect game VS game movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Back about 2 weeks in the What films did you watch thread.
could have missed it .. that thread grows fast.

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 05-14-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll see it. It looks dumb and over-the-top to be certain, but I've liked Berg's previous work and he's shown he can handle characters well even in big movies, unlike Mr. Bay, to whom this film draws obvious comparisons.

Plus I quite like Taylor Kitsch. Riggins FTW.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaz View Post
good to know! i saw the trailer and i suspected something like that, glad i didn't watch it yet!!


_______________
see u in world of battleships
Wow, great review! I'll totally pay to see this film now and click on that link you have provided down there!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Ill wait foir the Redbox seeing that I despise the Transformers flims and RB'xd thoise as well.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM
They wisely released this a month before the U.S release
Almost $200 million in ticket sales overseas
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow....this is probably a bad sign of things to come in the future. Release the movies first overseas for profit , then release it in USA. LOL--

it's actually a great strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Just got back from seeing this:

It is what it is!

I enjoyed the movie, in terms of it being basically nothing but shit blowing up, call me a simpleton, but sometimes that is what I want to see in a theater! Top notch sound system and big ass screen with shit blowing up!

It is basically Berg's love letter to Michael Bay though. But even though i say that, it missed something that Bay's films have, I dont know what it is, maybe it was the score that Bay's films have, they are epic and add a lot to the feeling you get while you watch them. This movie had a standard score (Which was surprising when I saw the amazing Steve Jablonsky did the score for Battleship)

there were a ton of plot holes, some of which have been addressed already:

Spoiler:
The aliens seemed to not want to harm people, but was only after metal structures or pieces of metal, which when we are talking about bridges and navy Ships result in human casualties


and the thing that kind of bothered me that was completely stupid and was just 1 scene that I have no idea why they didnt get rid of it:

Spoiler:
When Skarsgaard brings Kitsch into the room and tell shim that when thy dock, Kitsch is getting discharged from the navy.... for what?!?!? It couldnt have been for the CHicken Burrito stunt, as that happened before he joined the navy, and it couldnt be for the bathroom fight with the asian dude, cuz Liam Neeson squashed that and that was the end of it... so what the fuck was he getting discharged for???


So ya.. the movie is what it is: A loud, shit blowing up, movie with barely any characters that are out of the ordinary for this type of summer blockbuster movie.

Every typical blockbuster action movie "Character" was present in this movie, right down to the nerdy scientist who has stupid one liners!

Also... where the fuck was the Peter Berg style in this movie?! Peter Berg movies have a distinct look and style, and I actually enjoy it, it is a close up, shaky cam style that I actually enjoy. Just look at the movie version of Friday Night Lights and Hancock, but in this movie there was ZERO of that style on display, not even the style of music he usually uses.. I don't know why he didnt take this material and give it a Berg twist?!

As for the movie being a flop: my theater wasn't super packed (midnight show) but I still see this movie being a hit this weekend. I could be wrong though!

And 2 things I forgot to mention, but are fairly obvious:

1) There was zero reason to call this movie Battleship! Seriously had no connection whatsoever to the game beside the shape of the aliens artillery.

2) 1 more reason to not like Rihanna: sucks at acting

Last edited by SkyNet; 05-18-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 PM
So Liam Neeson apparently only has an extended cameo here?

Well, there goes my main reason for wanting to see this.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
So Liam Neeson apparently only has an extended cameo here?

Well, there goes my main reason for wanting to see this.
Ya... Neeson has maybe 5 good minutes of screen time in this thing. This is Kitsch's movie, inasmuch as he is the person with the most screen time!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Crap film? Damn, there goes the sequel...
I found the last part of the trilogy !!!

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I found the last part of the trilogy !!!

I'd buy that for a dollar!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Proceed.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 AM
....Oh, this movie came out?

...Alright.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
As for the movie being a flop: my theater wasn't super packed (midnight show) but I still see this movie being a hit this weekend. I could be wrong though!

It did not flop, it already made it's budget back overseas. It is going to under-perform, but the budget was made, already, this is all profit now.

Right now, movies in the States are not performing well, while they are doing quite well overseas. I can see studios releasing more movies overseas first because of this.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistAh BlistAh View Post
I LOVE the Transformers movies and I thought Battleship was a piece of shit.

Best scene in the entire movie involves a burrito...

2/10
This thing does make Transformers look clever by comparison.

Even using it to appeal to your mindless inner child it fails. For the most part, itís just pointless explosions and unrealistic CGI used to cause the eye to dart around frantically. Thatís the only reason this movie even exists. Itís trying to imitate the Transformers series and thatís not exactly a high standard there to begin with. So, when you fall short of that, you fall short in every way that matters. Why would anyone think this was a good idea for a movie at any stage of development? This movie was like Transformers without the cool robot factor. Itís all so very unsatisfying. I How can anyone not be disappointed after watching Battleship?

2/10 sounds about right.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
It did not flop, it already made it's budget back overseas. It is going to under-perform, but the budget was made, already, this is all profit now.

Right now, movies in the States are not performing well, while they are doing quite well overseas. I can see studios releasing more movies overseas first because of this.
Ya... i meant Domestic. Which it appears I was wrong as the movie only did about 9 million on friday for a mid 20 million opening which is quite soft for a big budget late may action movie, and I don't see it having legs, cuz even though I enjoyed it for what it was (Shit blowing up for 2 hours), it aint exactly a run out and see movie the way Avengers is
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I guess the only reason why Universal decided to make Battleship instead of G.I. JOE
vs Transformers is the fact that half of the rights to the latter are tied up with Paramount/Dreamworks.
But i cant help but think how great it would have been to see the JOES Deep Six and
Shipwreck with Polly on his shoulder face off with Megatron and....well i do think some under the table deal was struck between the studios ,a deal with HASBRO as the mediator because the alien ships look and sound like Transformers.

Ok so no Deep Six Or Shipwreck,what Battle ship offers is the irresponsible Lieutenant Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch) who's in love with the Admiral's(Liam Neeson) daughter
Samantha (the lovely and voluptuous Brooklyn Decker).
But before he can ask for her hand in marriage ...here come the aliens.
There are some great action sequences and things blow up real good.
I liked the tributes and inclusion of many veterans of war including Gregory D. Gadson as Lieutenant Colonel Mick Canales, an Army combat veteran and double amputee.

Rihanna's acting debut:She is a lovely woman,with incredible eyes and i like her music
Ultimately its the clunky,stiff,and cliched script that sinks Battleship
The fact that Battleship blatantly steals from a popular alien film doesnt help matters.
This is an alien invasion film in which the invasion of earth is slightly mentioned and seen
Im ready for an alien film with some strong characters with depth ...PROMETHEUS cant be released soon enough for me
Scale of 1-10 a 4Ĺ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump