Old 03-19-2001, 04:09 PM
JUDGEMENT NIGHT (1993)

Judgement Night (Stephen Hopkins - 1993)

With what i would consider an 'all-star' cast, consisting of EMILIO ESTEVEZ, CUBA GOODING JR, DENIS LEARY, STEPHEN DORFF and JEREMY PIVEN, this thriller/action flick is a perfect example of what might well happen if you don't follow your map and end up in a run down, near deserted town, it's only inhabitants ruthless street thugs who live street lives, and follow street rules. I fucking love this movie cos it can really happen, anytime, on intent or by accident, and there is nothing you will be able to do about it, but fight for your life. "This is my world!" 9.5/10

What do y'all think? I know it got a pretty bad rap from the critics, but this movie demonstrated true intensity and suspense that i hadn't witnessed/felt for a LONG time!
Old 03-19-2001, 05:08 PM
My buddy and I want to do a movie similar to this one with two white rich wannabee's getting lost in the hood.

I did also love this movie - very realistic.

Crynot
Old 03-19-2001, 05:16 PM
I love this movie as well. Denis Leary rocks as Fallon as does Emilio in a truly brilliant turn as Frank.

The movie is theirs. Cuba overacts as usual, Dorff is laid back and Piven is sympathetic. Leary and Emilio are the two that keep you captivated. I saw this at the cinema and was the only one of my friends who did. When it came out on video a little while later everyone was in a mad rush to see it.

So, thumbs up from me!!!
Old 03-19-2001, 06:05 PM
I have this movie in my collection. I'd have to say it isn't as good now as i used to like it. (6.5\10)
Old 03-19-2001, 08:39 PM
When this movie first came out I thought it was the absolute shit. I just recently picked up the DVD because it was only $9.99. Whatching for the first time in awhile it's not the great film i thought it used to be, but it's still a definite guilty plearsure of mine.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:31 PM
I also only picked this one up because it was on a cheap DVD ($8.99 from Good Times, no extras... also picked up "Renegades" and "Trespass" for the same price), and I had a lot of fun watching it in a drunken stupor. The music was fun and the action was well done, not to mention how well written the dialogue in this flick was. I love "Judgement Night", in fact, I thought it was Denis Leary's best starring gig besides "The Ref". I mean, watching this one again recently made me forget about that s**tty flick "Two If By Sea"... Leary is in top form as a wise-cracking chain-smoking hard-edged villain... The rest of the cast is really great with Piven and Estevez both coming off as realistic and believable. Nobody really does a bad job of acting, and its even got the dude from "House of Pain" in it! Happy St. Paddy's Day indeed! "Jump Around!, Jump Around, Jump Up Jump Up And Get Down!"
Old 03-21-2001, 01:28 PM
Nice to see everybody here has got good taste.

BROCK -
You mentioned you had TRESPASS. What did you think of this? I loved it! Not as much as JUDGEMENT NIGHT but it was a good action/thriller non the less, starring some quality, underrated actors (William Sadler being one).
Old 03-21-2001, 03:09 PM
Trespass was a sweet action flick from Walter Hill and it's a little better than Judgment night.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:10 PM
I actually thought "Judgement Night" was much better than "Trespass". I mean, Ice Cube and Ice-T do good jobs and Paxton and Sadler are great as well, but I just liked the vibe of "Judgement Night" more... (I only compare them because they were both GoodTimes videos, both cost $8.99, and I watced them back to back one evening... [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2001, 03:26 PM
BROCK -
I hear ya. TRESPASS was a great liitle action flick, but not as memorable as the realistic JUDGEMENT NIGHT.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Saw this recently after reading loads of good stuff about it and loved it, the cast is fantastic, and with the cool plot and great direction it ended up being a blast to watch. Nice character interactions and action scenes too.

9/10
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I havent seein this movie in a long ass time but I remember lovin it. Leary is a bad ass.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Only good role Leary's ever had...
Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
Only good role Leary's ever had...
Oh c'mon . . . Suicide Kings and The Ref were good for him too.

It's been a while since I saw Judgement Night, but I remember the ending to be suspenseful, and Leary kicking ass.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Oh c'mon . . . Suicide Kings and The Ref were good for him too.
Suicide Kings was a poor movie from top to bottom that just happened to have a good cast, and Leary trying to play a badass there came off poorly with the abysmal material he was given. As for the Ref, it was just an opportunity for Leary to incorporate his standup persona into a movie character, with disastrous results, though Spacey and Judy Davis salvaged the film somewhat...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
Suicide Kings was a poor movie from top to bottom that just happened to have a good cast, and Leary trying to play a badass there came off poorly with the abysmal material he was given.
Eh, I love that movie - especially Leary and the toaster scene. Christopher Walken was awesome, especially since he's duct taped to a chair for most of the movie.

Quote:
As for the Ref, it was just an opportunity for Leary to incorporate his standup persona into a movie character, with disastrous results, though Spacey and Judy Davis salvaged the film somewhat...
Denis Leary does angry well, and that's why I like the movie.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Judgement Night is a damn good entertaining movie and the soundtrack is also great. It started the rap core era.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM
This movie is really underrated.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Saw this as a kid, the shit is great. I remember the train yard scene clearly. They made thrillers back in the day for real. Denis Leary is so awesome in it

8/10
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Solid flick, nothing to brag about but it was a good rental when it came out.

6/10

The soundtrack was better than the film though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgmen...8soundtrack%29
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Judgement Night is a damn good entertaining movie and the soundtrack is also great. It started the rap core era.
Helmet & House of Pain - Just Another Victim is probably the best rap-metal song of all time.

This song makes me wanna do a drive-by while banging my head !!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Helmet & House of Pain - Just Another Victim is probably the best rap-metal song of all time.

This song makes me wanna do a drive-by while banging my head !!
Loved the soundtrack and this song in particular along with Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkpOdRbbsc