Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Watched it again and recalled another Don-ism from Ms. Peggy.
I don't remember Don fingering any women in a theatre. HA!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Caught up finally.

Nice to see Julia Ormond playing Meagan's mom; she was perfect. Everything Roger said was hilarious, as usual.

Loved the ending: "Dirty".
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Caught up finally.

Nice to see Julia Ormond playing Meagan's mom; she was perfect. Everything Roger said was hilarious, as usual.

Loved the ending: "Dirty".
Roger IS the man.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I didnt realize that was Julia Ormond until the awards dinner scenes....WOW
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Betty is just ice cold,stiff and bitter
I knew when Don was flipping through Ginsburg's folder that he was determined to top him
I never thought of Alexis Bledel as sexy but after the last 2 episodes....WOW

Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 AM
That was a great episode. I keep forgetting about the fans on this site. I'm feeling like the episodes dealing with Don's family are my favorite. The way Betty is getting put in her place is awesome. I was beginning to feel sympathetic for her but then remembered how rotten a person she is. Was I the only one that wanted to see her stick her head inside the turkey and devour it from the inside out while making mad noises? That would have been great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
I don't remember Don fingering any women in a theatre. HA!

Let me see if I get the joke...

...Ha... ...I guess...

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Fuckin' Sally...that poor girl. I hope she doesn't grow up to be a cunt like her mom, she might be the only character I even slightly feel sympathetic towards.

Pryce is pretty cool though, I suppose. And everyone loves Roger because he's probably the most charming douche on television.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM
i'm not ashamed to admit - I had to turn my head away from my television momentarily in order to keep from weeping during Peggy and Don's "goodbye handshake".

Great Episode.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 AM
So much better than last weeks episode. Last week's Mad Men was about as average as the show ever gets. This week redressed the balance and then some. Very emotional.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
This episode packed a fucking wallop. The scene where....
Spoiler:
Don threw the money in Peggy's face
made my fucking jaw drop. Coupled with what happened with Joan and the final scene, this season of Mad Men is hitting 90 miles per hour and isn't even thinking about stopping.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Spoiler:
I kept thinking about what would happen if Joan was put in that position today.
She likely would have set up several recording devices when each partner came to her with the "selling herself" idea.Hire Gloria Allred and sue the hell out of Sterling, Cooper,Draper, Pryce
Had a feeling Peg was going to jump ship,Don throwing money at her face was the final blow.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, that was rough to behold. Don's reaction to Lane's fate was obviously compounded by his feelings of culpability and guilt over his late brother's demise.

Jon Hamm continues to astound, especially in the closing 15 minutes of this episode.Cranston will take home his 4th Emmy this year, but Hamm most definitely deserves all the praise he receives for this magnificent portrayal.

Very strong episode in what is shaping up to be one of mad men's finest seasons.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Best show on TV that isn't called Breaking Bad.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
My one prediction for the end of the series: they'll have reached the '70s by the time the credits roll on the final episode.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 AM
That was great. I tend to appreciate the episodes that involve the Sally but this one went over the top with everything that happened. This one was great. And was it just me or did anyone else find some dark humor

Spoiler:
with the Jaguar not starting? I hated chuckling, because it was so tragic, but part of me was hoping that it would help him turn a corner. When he went back to the office, though, that moment was lost for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
My one prediction for the end of the series: they'll have reached the '70s by the time the credits roll on the final episode.
It was mentioned earlier that this was the plan, to stop the show with the 60s. I was pinning today that I think Don will end up losing his zest, maybe jobless, out of shape, and with a case of the herpes. Hello 1970s.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Spoiler:
Lane Pryce,never truly got what he wanted in life,each chance at happiness was shot down.He did help the agency in many ways but it was never appreciated.
He likely truly loved the woman from the Playboy club but his father shut that down,ultimately he couldnt stand up for what he wanted.
Forging that check he must have know he would eventually get caught,but he did it anyway for a brief moment of peace of mind.
When he made that pass at Joan i knew he was going to end his life.
This was one of the best moments in cable T.V

Last edited by anakinsrise; 06-06-2012 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
That was great. I tend to appreciate the episodes that involve the Sally but this one went over the top with everything that happened. This one was great. And was it just me or did anyone else find some dark humor

Spoiler:
with the Jaguar not starting? I hated chuckling, because it was so tragic, but part of me was hoping that it would help him turn a corner. When he went back to the office, though, that moment was lost for me.
Indeed, it was a great gallows humor (no pun intended, considering Lane's 'Plan B' ) moment, as well as a nice little payoff of Bert's "They're lemons -- they never start!" line from a few episodes ago.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Great episode last week. But I didn't think for a moment Lane would change his mind when the car wouldn't start. My mom watched it and she was hoping he would just go back to bed, but not me. When he went back to the office alone, I knew he was gonna do something.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
^Going back to the office was the giveaway. When the car wouldn't start, though, it reminded me of that Reynold's movie The End. I was hoping it would just turn into a testimonial of Lane being that kind of perpetual loser.

Joan's reaction was heart wrenching.

Something else I was hoping for in that episode - that Megan was going to drop whats-his-name off at school and give him a better rep. Now that I'm not expecting that kid to kill Betty Draper, I'm starting to like him.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Very "meh" finale, the previous two episodes were much better.

All in all, I don't think I'm coming back this season. I only watched this show to make sure that it's not as good as Breaking Bad (it isn't) and I only continued to watch it since hipsters love it and it'd make for a conversation piece.

However, after another boring ass season of this show where hardly anything happened (except killing my favorite actor on the show), I really just don't give a shit anymore. Hey, if you're a Mad Men fan and continue to love the show, God bless 'ya, I'm happy for you.

Me? I'll just be twidling my thumbs here 'til Walter White comes back in my life

PS The 15 second season 5 promo was easily the best part of this episode haha
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Very "meh" finale, the previous two episodes were much better.

All in all, I don't think I'm coming back this season. I only watched this show to make sure that it's not as good as Breaking Bad (it isn't) and I only continued to watch it since hipsters love it and it'd make for a conversation piece.

However, after another boring ass season of this show where hardly anything happened (except killing my favorite actor on the show), I really just don't give a shit anymore. Hey, if you're a Mad Men fan and continue to love the show, God bless 'ya, I'm happy for you.

Me? I'll just be twidling my thumbs here 'til Walter White comes back in my life

PS The 15 second season 5 promo was easily the best part of this episode haha
I can see what you mean. I'll still be watching next season and until the end just to see where all of the characters go as time moves on. But Mad Men is more of a dry and at times dull show. I guess the praise comes from its' "artsy/deep" moments. The finale was a good example of that. The 2-3 episodes before it were so much better.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Agreed, this episode really didn't feel like a season finale... though it was still less underwhelming than last season's finale. And, hey, for only the second time, no revelation that one of the women is/was pregnant!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Mad Men is a soap opera. I don't get why it'd be compared to Breaking Bad other than both being on cable TV.

I thought the finale was fine and that people are too accustomed to cliff hangers and the like.

This season, Peggy moved on and became more like Don which is pretty interesting given her start; Don's marriage deteriorated, but he's actually giving a shit; Roger is turning into a freak; Joan has gone from a girl's girl to one of the boys; Pete has started a downward spiral; Betty got some hope back...

It's just a drama, not action-oriented at all. These things are more about the characters and the show is filled with reflection through the use of juxtaposition. When I saw Smiert watched the show, I was actually pretty surprised, given that it is what it is, a soap. A very high class soap, but just that. To harken my old favorites, the show is more 90210 than Miami Vice.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 AM
I reckon this season was great
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Mad Men is a soap opera. I don't get why it'd be compared to Breaking Bad other than both being on cable TV.

I thought the finale was fine and that people are too accustomed to cliff hangers and the like.

This season, Peggy moved on and became more like Don which is pretty interesting given her start; Don's marriage deteriorated, but he's actually giving a shit; Roger is turning into a freak; Joan has gone from a girl's girl to one of the boys; Pete has started a downward spiral; Betty got some hope back...

It's just a drama, not action-oriented at all. These things are more about the characters and the show is filled with reflection through the use of juxtaposition. When I saw Smiert watched the show, I was actually pretty surprised, given that it is what it is, a soap. A very high class soap, but just that. To harken my old favorites, the show is more 90210 than Miami Vice.
I think Peggy is one of the better characters on the show and one of the reasons why I'll stick around until it's finished its' run no matter what. Starting as a nervous secretary when the show started to where she is now. I just think it'll be really interesting to see where she ends up as time goes on in the show and whatever time period the show finishes in. I think they said they're doing like 1 or 2 more seasons right?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
While probably true, I'd really rather not think of this show as a 'soap opera,' particularly since the term has come to be synonymous with 'shallow drama'... which this show is anything but.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Well, when A. They are both up for the same Emmys every year and B. People look me in the face and tell me that Mad Men is the best drama on tv, not only do I take particular offense, but I also, naturally, draw comparisons.

I know it's a soap opera, I know that it's not gonna have any real action, but I just can't bring myself to care about most of these people. Most all of them are pretty awful (some more than others) and while everyone was not particularly awful as usual this season, I still couldn't bring myself to give a shit.

I won't say that it's a bad show, 'cuz it's not. It's got a great cast, it's well written (most times) and it looks gorgeous. However, the fact that a soap opera can take the Emmy for "Best Drama" 4 years in a row is just absurd to me.

Drama: These fuckin' Madison Avenue pansies don't even know the meaning of the word.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 06-13-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Well, when A. They are both up for the same Emmys every year and B. People look me in the face and tell me that Mad Menthe best drama on tv, not only do I take particular offense, but I also, naturally, draw comparisons.

I know it's a soap opera, I know that it's not gonna have any real action, but I just can't bring myself to care about most of these people. Most all of them are pretty awful (some more than others) and while everyone was not particularly awful as usual this season, I still couldn't bring myself to give a shit.

I won't say that it's a bad show, 'cuz it's not. It's got a great cast, it's well written (most times) and it looks gorgeous. However, the fact that a soap opera can take the Emmy for "Best Drama" 4 years in a row is just absurd to me.

Drama: These fuckin' Madison Avenue pansies don't even know the meaning of the word.

We've got enough pretty solid scientific evidence to suggest that if you've set up your cognitive conceptual apparatus in the way you suggest you have, your brain will basically pit apart all experience with that unidimensional and dichotomous standard; all your brain is going to do is pretty much filter your experience through an emotional response system that runs: Mad Men -> Bad; Breaking Bad -> Good.

I mean there was about as much point in you watching this show as there is in a Communist going to a Libertarian rally.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 AM

Really loved this season, although I found the season finale didn't really work for me. Looking forward to Breaking Bad starting up to help deal with the double hit of Game of Thrones & Mad Men (and Veep, actually) going off the air for the season. Oh, and I'm pretty excited about The Newsroom premiere.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Just finished the season finale...wow. What a tremendous, fascinating season this was! So many layers, so much nuance. I'd disagree about the final episode of the season not being conclusive, though -- I think it definitely tied things up thematically and ended as the characters were entering a new, very different chapter in their lives. Peggy has her new job and her similarities to Don are increasingly striking (her "Draping" pose when Don sees her sitting down in the movie theater, complete with a cigg dangling from her hand, is probably the most blatant attempt from the writers to symbolize this notion), Pete is heading towards a downward spiral, Roger is arguably liberated from a lot of the demons that plagued him in the earlier seasons and has now found a new search for reason (if you want to call it that), and Don is as big of an enigma as ever. Each character arc this season served as a fascinating character study in its own right, and I can't wait to watch it all again and peel off more layers of the onion.

Also, if Jared Harris isn't nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Emmy this year, a huge injustice will be made.

And as a huge Breaking Bad fan myself, I'd say the primary similarity between the two shows (my top two on television currently, and I love them both equally and for different reasons) is that they both tend to only get better with each and every season. Because as it stands now for Mad Men:

1. Season 5
2. Season 4
3. Season 3
4. Season 1
5. Season 2

Really excited to see what's in store for seasons 6 & 7.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1132 View Post
I think Peggy is one of the better characters on the show and one of the reasons why I'll stick around until it's finished its' run no matter what. Starting as a nervous secretary when the show started to where she is now. I just think it'll be really interesting to see where she ends up as time goes on in the show and whatever time period the show finishes in. I think they said they're doing like 1 or 2 more seasons right?
What if Don ended up working for Peggy? Something tells me that guy can't keep it up forever. I keep waiting for something to happen to him health-wise. They touched on it in one of the earlier seasons, a doctor giving him a warning, then I thought the tooth thing was kind of interesting. The guy has no interest whatsoever in his health and him getting back in shape at the pool was really just more about him keeping up his appearance.

Quote:
While probably true, I'd really rather not think of this show as a 'soap opera,' particularly since the term has come to be synonymous with 'shallow drama'... which this show is anything but.
It's for sure a soap opera, just a really, really good one of which there are few. You're thinking of daytime soaps.

Quote:
Well, when A. They are both up for the same Emmys every year and B. People look me in the face and tell me that Mad Menthe best drama on tv, not only do I take particular offense, but I also, naturally, draw comparisons.

Drama: These fuckin' Madison Avenue pansies don't even know the meaning of the word.[/img]
Yeah, but I've only just started watching The Wire (at the end of S3 currently), and you could say everything the same with that show. These aren't sports teams. They're works of art. The fact that they put them in competition is flawed to begin with, so to compare a droll soap about ad execs in 1960s Manhattan to a violent portrayal of modern drug trade in the Southwest U.S. because they are both labeled as dramas instead of comedies or musicals...

Fuck the Emmys. Those bastards are responsible for Philip Michael Thomas doing infomercials.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Think I would rank the seasons

1. 5
2. 4
3. 2
4. 1
5. 3

But all shall be getting a rewatch soon. I prefer Breaking Bad to Mad Men (infact I prefer a lot of shows to Mad Men.) But that's just like my opinion, man.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 AM
If I had to pick, I'd watch Breaking Bad instead of Mad Men, but I'd watch Mad Men instead of The McLaughlin Group. I'd probably pick The Wire over seasons 3-5 of The Garry Shandling Show and The All-New Super Friends Hour over Super Friends. The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo pretty much rules everything though, so this is all moot.

I have a hard time delineating the series, since I saw the first 4 all back to back on Netflix. So far, I still thing Roger dropping acid has probably been my favorite. That was one of the best depictions I've seen of LSD, at least the part where he was at the party. The pilot episode still rings as very cool, just because of how it introduced Draper then his family dead-last.

Something I like about the show is how Don is a heavy weight with drugs on a few occasions. When he smoked weed with the beatniks and didn't get paranoid "No, YOU can't go out there." (or something like that) and also when those grifters were trying to knock him out with sedatives and he's just sitting there grinning and seeing dead people. That stuff is funny-awesome to me, the way looks like such a square compared to other relics of the 60s, and is anything but. Him trying to get into The Beatles by way of "Tomorrow Never Knows" was a pretty cool montage moment too.

Tallying it up, I think season 5 really might be up there for me as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
It's for sure a soap opera, just a really, really good one of which there are few. You're thinking of daytime soaps.
Well, I think the term in the pejorative sense applies to a lot of prime time dramas these days as well (see Desperate Housewives, The O.C., Gossip Girl, Revenge, etc.). It's either that or the standard order legal/medical/law enforcement drama. Is it any wonder I watch very little TV anymore? : ?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Well, I think the term in the pejorative sense applies to a lot of prime time dramas these days as well (see Desperate Housewives, The O.C., Gossip Girl, Revenge, etc.). It's either that or the standard order legal/medical/law enforcement drama. Is it any wonder I watch very little TV anymore? : ?

I get where you're coming from. It's like saying "mindless blockbuster" in a way. In general labels are silly when you are talking about this stuff. I only used the word to emphasize the contrast with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Generally speaking, I wouldn't call it a soap. In all realness, most of the best shows on TV from the 2000s onward have elements of the defining qualities of soap operas, and that includes Breaking Bad. Mad Men just happens to be much more rooted in the drama than a show like Breaking Bad, which is very heavy on action and even crime procedural.

Mad Men, I think, goes much deeper into the characters. Mad Men dives far into many characters, whereas Breaking Bad seems to be about the things that tie many characters together, while diving deep into just a few of them. It's about the action. The Emmys really should have an action category. To break everything down into drama and comedy is pretty silly. Adding categories for sci-fi, action and more would really give so many shows the acclaim that they deserve.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
We've got enough pretty solid scientific evidence to suggest that if you've set up your cognitive conceptual apparatus in the way you suggest you have, your brain will basically pit apart all experience with that unidimensional and dichotomous standard; all your brain is going to do is pretty much filter your experience through an emotional response system that runs: Mad Men -> Bad; Breaking Bad -> Good.

I mean there was about as much point in you watching this show as there is in a Communist going to a Libertarian rally.
Wow, really? That argument is just one notch below, "I guess you just don't get it..."

Anyway, I call bullshit, 'cuz I watched The Wire long after I was a huge BrBa fan and was equally expecting it to not meet expectations, but not only was it better, but The Wire is so head-and-shoulders above every other show, I don't even compare it to anything else.

So no, I gave this show a fair shot. I had watched seasons 1-4, then decided to watch 5 to see if it would get any better after the long break. I really was enjoying it going into the 2nd season, but I think I was more inspired by the potential, most all of which has been squandered. They could have done so much in terms of cultural significance of the era, but instead, our focus is the boring dynamic of these wasps.

I can only watch white people be passive aggressive to eachother for so many hours before I need to change the channel in search of actual entertainment.

Quote:
Yeah, but I've only just started watching The Wire (at the end of S3 currently), and you could say everything the same with that show. These aren't sports teams. They're works of art. The fact that they put them in competition is flawed to begin with, so to compare a droll soap about ad execs in 1960s Manhattan to a violent portrayal of modern drug trade in the Southwest U.S. because they are both labeled as dramas instead of comedies or musicals...

Fuck the Emmys. Those bastards are responsible for Philip Michael Thomas doing infomercials.
Well, you COULD say that about the show, but you'd be WRONG haha. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, yes, the status quo maintains, but that's one of the key themes of the story. Maybe I'm just missing something with Mad Men, but it's not entertainment for me...

As far as the Emmy's, I don't put too much faith in them (unless I wanna use it to back an actor/show I like), my beef as more to do with the people I know who praise Mad Men and, in a lot of cases, never even gave BrBa a chance. Who's the real snob, I wonder...

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 06-13-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Wow, really? That argument is just one notch below, "I guess you just don't get it..."

Anyway, I call bullshit, 'cuz I watched The Wire long after I was a huge BrBa fan and was equally expecting it to not meet expectations, but not only was it better, but The Wire is so head-and-shoulders above every other show, I don't even compare it to anything else.

So no, I gave this show a fair shot. I had watched seasons 1-4, then decided to watch 5 to see if it would get any better after the long break. I really was enjoying it going into the 2nd season, but I think I was more inspired by the potential, most all of which has been squandered. They could have done so much in terms of cultural significance of the era, but instead, our focus is the boring dynamic of these wasps.
It's not an argument. I'm not arguing that you should like Mad Men or anything of that sort. I much prefer Breaking Bad. If you were "not expecting it to meet expectations" that's one thing, but you suggested that the point of your watching it was basically just to confirm that it wasn't as good. And all the science we have pretty much confirms you're going to hate the shit out of it if you do that.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Lackluster end to a great season
Pete is definitley not a fighter
Don is one of those people that are drawn to having
turmoil in their lives ,even when he's free and clear of it he seeks
out more turmoil and then regrets he did so.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Well, you COULD say that about the show, but you'd be WRONG haha. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, yes, the status quo maintains, but that's one of the key themes of the story. Maybe I'm just missing something with Mad Men, but it's not entertainment for me...

As far as the Emmy's, I don't put too much faith in them (unless I wanna use it to back an actor/show I like), my beef as more to do with the people I know who praise Mad Men and, in a lot of cases, never even gave BrBa a chance. Who's the real snob, I wonder...
Nah, I mean The Wire got shafted at the Emmy Awards the same way Breaking Bad did, so you could apply the same reasoning to compare it to Mad Men. That doesn't mean The Wire and Mad Men are comparable shows except in the eyes of the Emmys.

In terms of it seeming silly to compare shows on that basis, Breaking Bad has won more Emmys than The Wire. That doesn't make Breaking Bad better, so why use that reasoning to see if Mad Men is better, especially when it has matter that doesn't appeal to you? Fuck, I'm pretty sure Desperate Housewives has won more awards than all three shows combined, maybe not. Either way, do you need to watch Desperate Housewives to see if you're going to like it as much as The Wire or Breaking Bad? Can't you just assume, even if you know people who love DH, that you're not going to like a soap about suburban housewives as much as action/procedural crime shows? Don't you think it seems silly to compare Desperate Housewives to The Wire?

I just tend to watch what I want to watch, but at the same time I always tend to be behind and catching up on seeing good shows. So with all that I've said, I think it just comes down to you being more in the loop than I am. I'm probably having a luxury of being more selective with what I watch. (says the guy who knows who Dixon Wilson is.)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Decent finale, but not great. It did seem anti-climatic, did not seem like a finale at all, but rather just another episode. They should have ended it with Lane's suicide, it would have been the greatest cliffhanger ever. But instead we got a lesser episode for a sendoff. Overall a pretty good season though.