Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM
The Avengers

Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. brings together a team of super humans to form The Avengers to help save the Earth from Loki and his army.

Spoiler:
Yes. another Avengers topic

Last edited by God of War; 04-27-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
That's a terrible poster.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Hulk Smash!

Last edited by God of War; 04-28-2012 at 12:46 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Spoiler:
I heard that in the post credit scene we hear thanos speak
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Spoiler:
I heard that in the post credit scene we hear thanos speak
Spoiler:
You also see him.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
The poster used in the first post is a fake.

Regardless, with each passing day I get more and more excited about this film. Most of that excitement has to do with my love for Joss Whedon, who from early reports seems to have nailed balancing the ensemble and made a film that has both quality action and great character moments. I'm so in.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Spoiler:
You also see him.
Holy shit!....
Spoiler:
the sequel
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I got my midnight showing tickets ready and waiting!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Looks like a lot of fun. I'll probably see it opening night
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM
To be honest to buzz is even better than I would have thought. Going to a midnight screening and then stumbling into work at 5 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
To be honest to buzz is even better than I would have thought.
Yeah its currently 97% on RT. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I honestly thought there would be a good chance that this film could potentially be a mess due to all the characters but it looks like Wheldon has pulled it off.

Can't wait to see it (especially cause it looks like they got the Hulk right)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Yea God of War ... change that poster in the opening post, it's gnarly. With two Iron Men for some reason, lol.

The reaction has been through the roof...ever since Hunger Games' high praise I'm a little wary of the standars people have these days for blockbusters and what constitutes them as being "great" but The Avengers has all sorts of stuff for me to be excited about, most of all that it comes from Whedon a man whose work I respect and trust a lot.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Wasn't really anticipating this all that much, but the reactions so far have upped my anticipation quite a bit. I'll be seeing it next weekend.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
To be honest to buzz is even better than I would have thought. Going to a midnight screening and then stumbling into work at 5 AM.
Yeah. So far the only negative review still gave it a 3/5 rating. She said that she flipped a coin to decide whether to make it fresh or rotten on rottentomatoes.com.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Saw it yesterday. I have a fat emergency medicine test today, but I couldnt help myself last night.

Awesome movie!! Just good popcorn fun. It wasnt mesmerizing or anything, but it was just what a summer movie should be.

It was a bit long, but it didnt drag on at all. definitely worth the money.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
The reaction has been through the roof...ever since Hunger Games' high praise I'm a little wary of the standars people have these days for blockbusters and what constitutes them as being "great" but The Avengers has all sorts of stuff for me to be excited about, most of all that it comes from Whedon a man whose work I respect and trust a lot.
The Avengers is nothing like Hunger Games, it has a ton of action, lots of humor ánd Scarlett Johansson. It's so cool to see these guys together in one movie. I liked Thor here better than in his own movie and I liked how they handled the Hulk and the quick ambiguous remark about it's mortality. Iron Man gets the best lines, while Captain America is the straight man and rather dull. Of all the movies I've seen this year, I enjoyed this one the most.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Saw it last night (benefit of Australia being 1 day in the future) and its pretty good.

The actions is really the best part, Im really surprised they pulled it off. It was always coherent and the CGI was amazing.

I have a few minor problems, like I wasnt quite sure what Loki was doing/aiming for and there's something to do with Bruce Banner that isnt really fleshed out.

The interactions between all the characters was easily the best bit, although the movie kinda contributes this to something other than their egos.

Thor just became my favourite.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Saw it last night. Easily the most fun time I've had in a cinema so far this year.

To be fair, there were two things bothering me before I walked in... the trailer was great and all, but it really felt like the movie took place in only three sets (Stark Tower, SHIELD HQ and a city street); and I was afraid this would just be "Iron Man and Friends", which is no one's fault really, it's just that Downey turned out to be perfect casting as Stark. I'm glad to be proven wrong on both counts.

Best part about it was seeing the interactions between all the heroes, it's those little details and asides which made the film for me.

Everyone got their chance to shine, and the Hulk was absolutely badass. Ruffalo nails it.

Great action, great humor (I lost it when Stark calls Thor "Point Break"), and an all around great time. No complaints here, unlike some other of my film buff friends who already LOATHE this movie and they haven't even seen it yet.

I wanted to see it again the moment it finished, and that's probably the greatest compliment I can give it.

Now, about the post-credits bit...

Spoiler:
Thanos the Titan? Can't wait to see how they work that guy's backstory into a film. And no, he doesn't speak.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Great action, great humor (I lost it when Stark calls Thor "Point Break"), .
hahaha. likewise!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Whedon didn't dissapoint. I had a blast watching this movie. Every hero gets enough attention and screen time. The CGI is almost flawless. The jokes work (puny God )! Can't wait for the sequel.
9/10 ( I would have given a 10 if the score was better, just a lame score by Silvestri, such an epic movie deserved an epic score).

Spoiler:
Question about the Hulk. How come in the end battle, Banner could suddenly control the Hulk ?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 AM
The Avengers is that rare/comic book/action film,that not only provides exciting and fun action sequences,but also pulled me in emotionally with its provision of backstory and view of the inner demons of the colorful characters that inhabit this nearly perfect film.

Director/writer Joss Whedon deserves praise for doing his homework on some of the most popular characters in the world.He puts the nature,spirit and mannerisms i love about the characters on the big screen
Each character is given multiple times to shine Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man,Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America,Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk,Chris Hemsworth as Thor,Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye,Tom Hiddleston as Loki,Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill,Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson,and Gwyneth Paltrow
as Pepper Potts
A lot of other films have attempted to put a ton of characters in a film which resulted in an overpopulated film, in which i ended up not caring for the characters and i felt the studio behind the film was just looking for action figure and Happy Meal money.
The Avengers is the complete opposite of the aforementioned.
Whedon also gets better performances from the cast,far better than what was displayed in the connecting Marvel films that lead to The Avengers.He lets the characters get under each other's skin,they not only poke fun at each other
but each character has their own Self-deprecating moments

There are revelations and surprises that are the icing on the cake of this fun film.
It has some flaws,the standout is that it borrows a bit from a couple of popular
Sci-Fi films.
Other than that everything else works just the right amount of romance,humor,and action.
If you are a Marvel super fan,casual fan or just a lover of action films,if you dont have fun with this film,check your pulse because you may be dead!!
I truly hope Whedon returns to direct the second ,third ,fourth Avengers film...yes im thinking ahead but thats how much i loved this movie
Scale of 1-10 a 9
Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
I thought it was good but nothing groundbreaking. Great action and good banter but it was lacking sorely in key areas. That's ok; it's great summer spectacle moviemaking.
And hulk was fucking awesome.

My review.

7/10

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 04-26-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post

Spoiler:
Question about the Hulk. How come in the end battle, Banner could suddenly control the Hulk ?
Spoiler:
Well they didn't really explore that and that made Bruce Banner an intruiging character. He never explains how he controls his rage and prevents a Hulk out and at his last Hulk out (when he finally reveals "I'm always angry") I was convinced Banner was fooling them all and had already learned to control his transformations.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Spoiler:
Like stated above, sort of. I have to watch it again because the theater I went to had terrible audio, but my take is
Spoiler:
he has not only learned to control his anger enough to keep Hulk at bay, but when he IS the Hulk, he's become more self-aware to Banner's psyche. Enough to discern good from bad, but it takes time to get to that point. Thus, when Hulk first takes form he's the pure Id. But as time passes in that form, Bruce is able to influence Hulk enough to know when to be "good" versus just pure rage.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
First poster isn't real
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
First poster isn't real
...and it's terrible. What's going on with Agent Colson's oversized hand? What's up with the dominatrix outfit Hawkeye is sporting?

GoW: get rid of it please
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I found it hugely enjoyable. Fantastic witty dialogue as is expected coming from Joss Whedon (the film was often laugh-out-loud hilarious) and brilliantly executed action sequences. The extended finale is especially epic. I can't imagine anyone anticipating the film is going to walk out feeling shortchanged. It fully delivers on its premise, Whedon is clearly delighted to be the man bringing all these iconic characters together on-screen. I'd say an 8/10 for now but the rating could go up.

Spoiler:
My favourite part of the film was when The Hulk picked up Loki and started thrashing him around. Absolutely hilarious. And Captain America's "I understood that reference". Some great quotes in this flick.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Looking forward to this mainly because it's the first time something like this is happening, but secondly because The Dark Knight Rises' trailer will be attached to it.

Also...why is it that the fan posters look a hell of a lot better than the official ones?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm also going to these movie
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Avengers Movie = A new drug of some sort???

WARNING: Stop watching at the 1:30 mark of the first link if you have not seen it because she starts to ramble about scenes in the movie!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqSTkIMmrFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4a2Je_IcY

Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Went to this flick last night...

Not to spoil it for you Americans a brief summary:

Best Marvel-flick to date, just enormous good fun at the movies. 3D sucks, as was expected but that's about it. Villain could be a bit more memorable but not bad. Great writing, the standouts were RDJ as IronMan and Ruffalo as the Hulk.

Sam Jackson is...Sam Jackson, this guy has been in so many great movies. I'm no comic book geek, since in Europe we are not raised with it like in the States but I got a big ass smile for the entire movie. Cannot emphasize enough why this is a prime example of a 'good time at the movies'. Mad effects, coupled with good writing, loveable characters, humor and some nice pieces of ass.

If you did not already knew: The Hulk owns this movie, I always loved this character and know it is his time to shine. How far we've come from the Hulk in the Ang Lee flick.

As I already said;no comic book geek but my American friend that went with my went absolutely ape-shit of the post-credits preview. I just did not 'get it'.

8.5/10
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_verhoeven View Post
As I already said;no comic book geek but my American friend that went with my went absolutely ape-shit of the post-credits preview. I just did not 'get it'.
Spoiler:
haha, the last line about courting death and then the grin on Thanos' face is something only comicbook nerds understand
It's so spot on for the character. I bet even Jim Starlin liked it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Went to an advance screening last night in New York.

This is Joss Whedon's baby, and he has left his stamp on the Marvel heroes we've come to know.

From the witty banter and amazing timing of Tony Stark, to the nonstop pace - we have the best Marvel film to date.

Here is my full review, check it out - http://bit.ly/IJPKml
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll definitely be checkin this out next weekend but FUCK that converted 3D bullllllllllllllllllllshit.

Hopefully this will make up for all the other recent Marvel flicks being slightly above average.

Last edited by AspectRatio1986; 04-27-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Well l have to say l wouldnt mind seeing the Avengers l have seen a few preveiws of the film and it has got me in

I hope to drag my freind to this on the weekend
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Went to an advance screening last night in New York.

This is Joss Whedon's baby, and he has left his stamp on the Marvel heroes we've come to know.

From the witty banter and amazing timing of Tony Stark, to the nonstop pace - we have the best Marvel film to date.

Here is my full review, check it out - http://bit.ly/IJPKml
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Speaking of credits rolling here’s another *FODDER TIP* — stay in your seat till after the credits finish!!
A big question... I've read there's a mid-credit scene but is there ALSO something after all the credits as well??? PLEASE don't say what the scene(s) are but WHEN they happen. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Just caught this this afternoon and I enjoyed it enough. It is exactly as what the trailers have sold to us - a lot of quick wit and action in between. But as with ALL of the Marvel films so far with the exception of Iron Man, the villain remains its weakest point. For the second film running, I find Loki a totally unremarkable villain - sure he sneers a lot and has that sinister smile but he pales in comparison with the brilliant Obadiah Stane.

The action sequences are rich and vivid and in many ways, they are exactly what you would have hoped for when you walk into a post-Transformers era summer blockbuster (not a slight against the film) and is only made richer by the quirky interactions among the characters from The Avengers. There are several moments of intense action that is punctuated by moments of laugh-out-loud hilarity that will tickle your funny bone and almost all of them involve The Hulk. Speaking of The Hulk, I have to say that while I was unconvinced of the casting of Ruffalo before this, I have to say that in my books, Ruffalo is Bruce Banner! Ruffalo portrays Banner with a reserved quiet confidence about him as opposed to Norton's version where you feel that Banner can almost double off as a CIA agent if he weren't a 'Stephen Hawking' beautiful mind. I feel that Whedon is the only director so far who has brought both Hulk and Banner to 'life' on the big screen.

I said before I watched the film that my main complain about the trailers and teasers was the fact that The Avengers has been made to look like a two and a half hour WWE wrestling programme and it has almost turned out to be exactly that. I am not sure how The Avengers 2 will play out but based on how The Avengers ended, we can only assume that it will be destruction on a larger scale and we know how Transformers fared when it followed that approach.

As a film on a whole, it still fares lower below Iron Man but without a shadow of a doubt, this film has the most entertainment value among all of the Marvel films so far. The Avengers get a 7/10.

PS: Perhaps I am the only one but I didn't want to put it in my review because I didn't want to be called a troll but the first forty minutes or so totally bored the shit out of me and I only started to care the moment Iron Man, Captain and Thor had their first encounter but yeah, there you go...

And can anyone tell me why is the mid-credits scene so exciting for comic book fans? What is so remarkable about what the character says?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 AM
I wasn't bored for a single minute during the Avengers.

I liked all three movie versions of the Hulk. Ruffalo being my favorite.

Loki was cool. But yes, I agree that he was not the best villain.

I thought each and every single character in The Avengers was really good.

Yes. Hulk was my favorite. And for me, he stole the show.

Ironman was awesome! Thor was cool. Capt. America was ok. Preferred him in his own movie.

How come we didn't get to see Black Widow's bewbz?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 AM
I was. The prologue bored me. The part where Loki crashed a party bored me.

I liked two versions of The Hulk. Whedon's Hulk and Ang Lee's flawed Hulk.

All of the Avengers were great.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Great time at the movies. Possibly a 9 after a second viewing. The movie is not the most original as far as storytelling, but the way the movie approached it was terrific! I would say the dialogue and one-liners was probably its best part, especially for a comic book movie. It's easily my favorite Marvel movie so far.

8.5/10