Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm sorry, but when I first saw the teaser, it just seemed underwhelming. I really liked the book when I read it in high school though.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Possible spoiler:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...?newsfeed=true

Worrisome, or exciting? You choose....
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Teaser was completely average IMO. The singing was lame. Not excited for this at all really and that's coming from a HUGE LotR fan.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Bilbo-pic that I haven't seen earlier:
http://latimesherocomplex.files.word...thehobbit8.jpg
Looks like difficult times for him.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk View Post
Possible spoiler:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...?newsfeed=true

Worrisome, or exciting? You choose....
Personally, I think it might be confusion on Cumberbatch's part, as he didn't seem to have the mythology down yet. Interestingly, that quote was from August, and it's only getting attention now?

Spoiler:
Since Jackson and company are including the White Council, it's conceivable that he is confusing Sauron's expulsion from Dol Guldur and the Battle of Five Armies.

As long as the film's good, I don't care. I never cared for Tolkein purists (or purists of any kind), so their discomfort may be of some pleasure to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I actually think he looks better with a bit of pudge. I am about as vain as you can get in terms of my own appearance, but there are definitely some people who look better with some bulk. His body by auschwitz look wasn't working.
Good point. I think he may have found a happy medium between two extremes that obviously weren't working. Remember at the Oscars, how he looked sick/drunk and about to burst out of his shirt? Then, there was that unabomber/serial killer look he had going during the tiff with the labor unions. I'm all for people getting fit and taking better care of themselves, but one can take these things too far.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I have no idea if this could ever work, but i'm goign to toss it out there anyways.... I was thinking it may be fun to, at some point, do a skype conversation with everyone interested. As someone who has read and studied all of Tolkien's work it is my desire to spread whatever knowledge I may have, as well as to learn something new. I would be more than happy to lead a skype conversation and indeed skype calls about any and all topics Middle Earth related. Like LOTR the Hobbit is capable of standing on its own as a story but with some added detail it becomes something new entirely, and I would love to open that door for whoever is interested. Again I don't know how many would be interested but it would be fun to try. Let me know

Lost
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
I have no idea if this could ever work, but i'm goign to toss it out there anyways.... I was thinking it may be fun to, at some point, do a skype conversation with everyone interested. As someone who has read and studied all of Tolkien's work it is my desire to spread whatever knowledge I may have, as well as to learn something new. I would be more than happy to lead a skype conversation and indeed skype calls about any and all topics Middle Earth related. Like LOTR the Hobbit is capable of standing on its own as a story but with some added detail it becomes something new entirely, and I would love to open that door for whoever is interested. Again I don't know how many would be interested but it would be fun to try. Let me know

Lost
I actually had the honor of meeting Christopher Tolkien about 15 years ago. We had a very expansive conversation about his fathers work that has been one of the highlights of my life. He told me so many interesting tidbits about motivations and inspirations for characters that I really had no idea about. The one thing that stuck with me the most pretty much shifted how I looked at the whole series. I generally dont tell people about it anymore, cause when I first found out I told a few good friends that are also huge fans, and two of them actually got really mad at me. Im going to give you the option to hear what he had to say, I will put it in a spoiler tag, so you have to consciously accept that what you read may upset you. Think it through and decide, but dont say I didnt warn you. What follows is the most important and vital aspect to the whole LotR series, if you choose to continue...do so with and open mind.

Spoiler:

Last edited by fixedMind; 03-18-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
I actually had the honor of meeting Christopher Tolkien about 15 years ago. We had a very expansive conversation about his fathers work that has been one of the highlights of my life. He told me so many interesting tidbits about motivations and inspirations for characters that I really had no idea about. The one thing that stuck with me the most pretty much shifted how I looked at the whole series. I generally dont tell people about it anymore, cause when I first found out I told a few good friends that are also huge fans, and two of them actually got really mad at me. Im going to give you the option to hear what he had to say, I will put it in a spoiler tag, so you have to consciously accept that what you read may upset you. Think it through and decide, but dont say I didnt warn you. What follows is the most important and vital aspect to the whole LotR series, if you choose to continue...do so with and open mind.

Spoiler:
but that wasn't even funny........ At least link the catapult gif. I expect better than that.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
but that wasn't even funny........ At least link the catapult gif. I expect better than that.
Yeah, I realized that it was probably a pretty lame payoff about halfway through writing.
But to quote Gob Bluth, "I'm not afraid to make a mistake."

Last edited by fixedMind; 03-18-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:

Yeah, I realized that it was probably a pretty lame payoff about halfway through writing.
But to quote Gob Bluth, "I'm not afraid to make a mistake."

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
I'll actually pay you to stop trying to be funny.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Quote:
I'll actually pay you to stop trying to be funny.
$1,000,000 in Mithril and Lembas or I email you every day trying to be funny.
I'll pm you with the drop point.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Some nice speculation, possibly spoilers (we'll know that when the movie comes out):

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...st/#more-54819
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Uh oh...

"Saw 10 min of THE HOBBIT in 48fps. It's def a drastic change from 24fps and many are not going to be on board with it. #thehobbit" -Steve Weintraub

"Listening to Cinemacon people - theater owners - this 48fps demo sold NOBODY." -Devin Faraci

"THE HOBBIT, frankly, did not look cinematic." -Devin Faraci
Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Somehow, I still think the legions of fans wills still go see this . . . in 3D.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Somehow, I still think the legions of fans wills still go see this . . . in 3D.
No doubt. I'm still looking forward to it, but why they ever chose to shoot it in 48 fps is beyond me.

Kris Tapley said it best...

"Here's an idea: They're movies. Stop trying to make them look more like reality. There is a threshold of awkwardness, you know."
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
No doubt. I'm still looking forward to it, but why they ever chose to shoot it in 48 fps is beyond me.

Kris Tapley said it best...

"Here's an idea: They're movies. Stop trying to make them look more like reality. There is a threshold of awkwardness, you know."
Personally, I'm not entirely keen on it (mostly because I have no idea what it is), but I doubt it will hamper my enjoyment in any substantive sense. The film vs digital debate is of no interest to me. My concern is with the substance, which from what I've heard, seems to be fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
Personally, I'm not entirely keen on it (mostly because I have no idea what it is), but I doubt it will hamper my enjoyment in any substantive sense. The film vs digital debate is of no interest to me. My concern is with the substance, which from what I've heard, seems to be fine.
This has nothing to do with film vs. digital. This is about frame rate. Word from those who have seen footage say that visually it looks like a soap opera. No amount of substance can make up for a movie that is visually distracting for three hours.

Now, having said that, I doubt many theatres will even project it in 48 fps (it'll be like when Digital 3D was just developing and was only used in a select few theatres), so I'm assuming what most of us will see is the image quality of what was in the trailer, which I remember being fine. I don't know entirely how shooting in 48 fps and then projecting in 24 fps will affect how it looks though... anyone know the specifics?

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-25-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/the-hobbi...-for-tv--.html

This is interesting, it seems fans are not happy with what they have seen in LA.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah I've heard reports that the image appeared "too clear" and "un-film-like" - which is weird because I remember reading an interview with Jackson that was the look he was going for....for it to look like you were looking out a window instead of watching a movie screen. Hmmmm...very interesting that the image could be too detailed, never thought I'd hear anybody say that.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 AM
PJ responds to 48fps criticism http://collider.com/hobbit-peter-jackson-48fps/

Haven't seen the 48fps myself, but I know what higher frame rate looks like, for instance 60fps. It looks no different than what you see with your eyes in reality. Essentially it dissolves the 'barrier' that separates the images from looking cinematic to looking completely realistic. It's good if you're shooting some home videos and want to capture the moment exactly as you see it with your eyes, but film? I'm not sold on it just yet, but I think PJ brings up a point with his silent-to-sound (b&w-to-color as well) analogy...something that overtime we'll get accustomed to. However, I just can't get over the idea of films looking like they are taking place "real time" so to speak. I've always loved the cinematic 24fps look in films. Undoubtedly it's psychological as we've all essentially grown to accept that that's how films look like. Now with higher fps it now reminds me of those old made for tv, shot on video episodes of Twilight Zone, as if you're in the theater watching a play. For some that's cool, but I like the somewhat detached look from the every day reality look 24fps provides.

Shorter version of the above: Yeah, not sold on it yet, but may get accustomed to it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
PJ responds to 48fps criticism http://collider.com/hobbit-peter-jackson-48fps/

Haven't seen the 48fps myself, but I know what higher frame rate looks like, for instance 60fps. It looks no different than what you see with your eyes in reality. Essentially it dissolves the 'barrier' that separates the images from looking cinematic to looking completely realistic. It's good if you're shooting some home videos and want to capture the moment exactly as you see it with your eyes, but film? I'm not sold on it just yet, but I think PJ brings up a point with his silent-to-sound (b&w-to-color as well) analogy...something that overtime we'll get accustomed to. However, I just can't get over the idea of films looking like they are taking place "real time" so to speak. I've always loved the cinematic 24fps look in films. Undoubtedly it's psychological as we've all essentially grown to accept that that's how films look like. Now with higher fps it now reminds me of those old made for tv, shot on video episodes of Twilight Zone, as if you're in the theater watching a play. For some that's cool, but I like the somewhat detached look from the every day reality look 24fps provides.

Shorter version of the above: Yeah, not sold on it yet, but may get accustomed to it.
Yeah, those always looked awful to the point of unwatchable. Hated them. Any time the camera moves it makes me feel like the screen is made of rubber.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Jackson has a deep respect for the Tolkien lore and so far I have loved what he has done with LOTR and have all the faith in the world that he will do the same for The Hobbit..Besides it is still over half a year away from release.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
Jackson has a deep respect for the Tolkien lore and so far I have loved what he has done with LOTR and have all the faith in the world that he will do the same for The Hobbit..Besides it is still over half a year away from release.
While I disagree with you to a degree about PJ's respect and or understanding of Tolkiens work, I think (obviously) what he created with LOTR was a cinematic spectacle. What I find bothersome is that the issues surrounding the film are not plot or character related but visually related. I would be devastated if the film was everything I want it to be but was nigh unwatchable because of some shitty camera work.

EDIT: I would be really happy if my only complaints about the film are that they don't follow the books to a t. That is to be expected.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/the-hobbi...-for-tv--.html

This is interesting, it seems fans are not happy with what they have seen in LA.
Quote:
What I find bothersome is that the issues surrounding the film are not plot or character related but visually related. I would be devastated if the film was everything I want it to be but was nigh unwatchable because of some shitty camera work.

EDIT: I would be really happy if my only complaints about the film are that they don't follow the books to a t. That is to be expected.
According to that Entertainment Weekly article (and nearly everything else I've read), the story is fine. To me, this whole thing seems silly, as the film isn't even finished yet. Plus, I have a feeling most people won't be that bothered by this, especially since it's being released in the 24 fps as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Latest video blog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYDC...layer_embedded
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM
A new trailer is rated and therefore probably coming soon, I guess.

http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/rec...strailers.aspx
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I saw the trailer before The Amazing Spider-Man and it ensured that I will be in theatre with my ticket to watch it when it gets released.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank God we have this at the end of the year to semi cure the TDKR hangover....
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Some new character posters:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theoneringnet/
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
New images of Gollum and Serkis - http://afterthecut.com/2012/07/25/ne...om-the-hobbit/
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
In the latest video blog, #8 I believe, there may be some things blurred out. Towards the end of the video, when the last day of shooting is over, directly behind Peter Jackson and Gandalf is a figure that is all in brown and fuzzed out to keep us from seeing him clearly. Also during the "Flight of the Valkyries" seen with the lighting rigs, one of the film crew is wearing another wizard's hat and carrying his staff...and it doesn't look like Gandalf's.

Could it be Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown? Hmmm....take a look and be the judge.

Last edited by Otis_Driftwood; 07-27-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93086
Quote:
It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I know many hardcore fans don't like it when Peter Jackson changes (or makes additions to) Tolkiens Middle Earth, but I personally like his vision of it. So keep the movies coming! I don't think I'll get enough. Three movies instead of two? Yay!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
So, why does this need three movies?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Maybe they want to make a bridge between the Hobbit and LOTR? Or more background stories?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
So, why does this need three movies?
It doesn't. Unless you are a studio head that wants 3 moneymakers to be released instead of 2.